• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...what exactly happens in Haifuri that's turning so many people off?

latest

honestly it's not that bad. it just came outta nowhere is all lol. considering how serious(?) haifuri has been up to this point is the issue

Crocodile

tumblr_o6ex738unE1qg3s1lo1_1280.jpg

Source

As an aside, I have no idea what Haifuri is but usually when I see comparisons made to Pinky & The Brain I'd usually consider it a positive :p

I spent the past day considering the Apollo 17 inclusion and beyond it being there for historical flavor, I think it was included for a couple of reasons:
  • First was to use it as this sort of establishing shot for Devila's show of force later on. It would have felt weird to hit some capsule in space without first bringing it up and without it there, ti would have been indistinguishable from the night sky.
  • Second is it fits duckroll's theory that the show is going to conclude with some sort of Yamato/Harlock/Gundam excursion to space as that's been an underlying element in three of the past four episodes with the sole exclusion involving a being inextricably tied to the Earth itself. It gives us a view of where mankind is at the moment but it's obvious the big journey is going much, much further than the moon.

Huh. I can't say I disagree with any of these points. It's weird because I figured the show would take care of all its world-building in the first season but it STILL seems to be world-building even now. It's not a direction I expected them to take.

Kabaneri 2

Now I see why Mumei keeps leading those "anime character that I wish would step on me" polls on twitter.

Wait are those real things? I thought MPR was just joking around!

Speaking personally, I found Devilo and Devila fascinating and liked how they were portrayed as mysterious beings beyond human control or comprehension. Devila's appearance at the end was magical.

But of course, not everyone is going to have the same emotional reaction to a work of art. We're all different, after all.

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to be dismissive of anyone's opinion. I was legit curious because my reactions were pretty divorced from a lot of people.

It's a super poetic episode that showcases Tsuji's ability to write a screenplay that celebrates Go Nagai's legacy, explores the demonic elements if ConRevo's setting, while delivering fantastic dialogue. Just a beautifully crafted episode all round.

I haven't seen Go Nagai's entire filmography but I'm mostly familiar with him through Cutie Honey, Mazinger and Devilman. I'm not seeing the parallels in what happened in this episode of CR to those though I certainly haven't seen ALL the Cutie Honey, Mazinger and Devilman material out there.

Oh man there's a second season of Shokugeki no Soma next season? I should get around to watching the first one... still worth it?

Also Love Live Sunshine and Mob Psycho 100; I confused Mob Psycho with Boku no Hero Academia at the start of this season lol

Ascheroth

Oh man there's a second season of Shokugeki no Soma next season? I should get around to watching the first one... still worth it?

Also Love Live Sunshine and Mob Psycho 100; I confused Mob Psycho with Boku no Hero Academia at the start of this season lol

Absolutely.

And Mob Psycho is next season too? Hell yes.

Line_HTX

Space PatrOL LULUco 05

That big bad pirate music used for Luluco's mom was chilly. I had to listen to that again when they both crashed onto Earth.

OVER JUSTICE. JUSTICE IS OVER!!

And the commander got owned.

Big boobed Space Pirate Lalaco lifting the piece of land into space and the reselling it like reselling items shoplifted?

NOT JUSTICE!!

phaze

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Orange Is The New Gray

pls

Not particularly so.

The manga descended into worse than Bleach tier in some respects by now though the story won't get there in second season yet

I don't think this season has any remarkable shows.

Clearly weaker than winter and maybe the weakest season this year - though maybe too early to tell.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Episode 5:

So at last we are beginning to meet some of the other students and I think that is becoming a real problem with this program as it basically the All Deku All The Time Show and he is nowhere interesting enough to carry that designation. Watching the Hunter X Hunter series does make me see with even greater clairty just how much MHA is sleepwalking through the shonen cliches.

Summer season looks like a fille season and all the big hits happen in fall.

I would disagree. Summer has quite a few interesting looking shows:

91 Days
Battery
Days
Mob Psycho 100
Orange
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 (not sure if this has been definitively confirmed for summer, but these things are usually split-cour)

And a few other shows I'm curious about such as Kono Bijutsu-bu ni wa Mondai ga Aru and Sweetness and Lightning. That's a promising season in my books.

Wasn't the Show by Rock sequel scheduled for Summer? MAL got nothing for it.

There's a Show by Rock short series airing in the summer. The full season 2 is probably coming in the fall.

Exalted

Summer looks great to me, it has Soma, Mob Psycho 100 and Arslan, plus all the new stuff. There is also a chance that Berserk might be actually good :p

KraytarJ

The Lost Village 05
Despite the fact that very little concrete has actually happened and the show continues to keep its future shrouded in mystery I've been digging it and this episode keeps that going. The paranoia is hitting a fever pitch and hot damn if I'm not excited to see the breaking point of these characters (some seem very close) and this group.

Kiznaiver 04
Niko da gawd

I'm going to place my bets on Battery (even though I know little about it outside of the premise).

Lots of other shows this summer also look fun, I don't think it's going to be a bad season.

Jintor

Listless Tanaka 4

Ohta: uses computers for the internet but not to print things

man it sure is lucky she was Cute All Along huh. good thing for her debut

lol. Tanaka admitted it.

Didn't like either of perfect girl's 'personalities', but the compromise end product was pretty cool.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Grimgar - Episode 11

Man this is probably the first time I've actually thought to myself how tiring it would be to work in a dungeon like this, survive, AND THEN have to make it all the way out and walk home. Where's my warp spell?

Man my heart was racing during the last part. Aggroing every single fucking mob in the dungeon. Reminds me of the scaffolding in Vanilla WoW Van Cleef and how easy it was for someone to aggro everything.

blurr

My Hero Academia 05

Great episode, I enjoyed it throughout. Deku has one hell of a homeroom teacher. I'm liking the pace of things even more now, in sync with Deku's feelings and determination.

My brother was watching it with me said it seems boring haha. Sham it is easy to overlook this as a standard superhero shonen.

My Hero Academia 5
I don't really understand why they chose to pace this so lethargically considering the number of episodes they have. I wouldn't even consider this show to be a great ad for the manga.

And Bakugou already has me at the point where I feel the need to scrub through any scene he speaks in.

pbayne

Dennou Coil 4

Just relised this show is a really fun but slightly sinister version of kids using Google Glass. With lots of sakuga.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Grimgar Episode 12

L33TΗ@rμH@x0rz

Mary really wants to win the Haru (Hal) bowl doesn't she?

It was worth watching all of the slow first couple of episodes for these last two episodes.

I have to say this show really fits the "comfy" description. Something about the music and the art. To me their poverty accommodations look comfy.

Ascheroth

My Hero Academia #5

Yet another great episode. We get to see some of Midoriyas classmates in action and many of their Quirks are so fun to watch.
And then Midoriya delivered.
And All Might acting like a worried parent, watching from the shadows, so good.

Cornbread78

Summer has ReWrite, Orange and Soma, so I'm good with it.

Oh, plus Handa and Tales of Zestiria. Maybe Hatsukoi Monster as well.

I would disagree. Summer has quite a few interesting looking shows:

91 Days
Battery
Days
Mob Psycho 100
Orange
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 (not sure if this has been definitively confirmed for summer, but these things are usually split-cour)

And a few other shows I'm curious about such as Kono Bijutsu-bu ni wa Mondai ga Aru and Sweetness and Lightning. That's a promising season in my books.

There's a Show by Rock short series airing in the summer. The full season 2 is probably coming in the fall.

If you maybe exclude Love Live, Ufotable's Tales (though I don't think anyone truely expects a great anime) there isn't anything with a lot of hype in the summer season. Time will tell how the summer season performs.

At least we are getting a new football anime.

Kiznaiver 04

This show a very entertaining SoL side of it as we see the characters interacting and learning more about each other, forming bonds. The "love triangle" was expected, but it's being done well enough to not be annoying. On the other hand, we still aren't sure what this Kiznaiver project truly is for, but things are starting to unravel as we see how there seems to be an "evil" side plotting against our 7 protagonists. This still continues to be one of my favourites watches of the season, and every week I keep wanting to see more of these characters as well as learning more about the Kizuna project. This seems the kind of show that is holding its hand cards to its chest, and it's working well for it. Looking forward to episode 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom