• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

!

You think the Summer OT title will have something other than an Prisma Illya 3rei!! reference?

Ilya is old and busted.

And a cause of countless casualties among our brethren.

And almost no one is actually watching it or at least posting about it.

And as responsible and mindful anime connoisseurs, we should strive to highlight good shows from directors of such masterpieces like Blade&Soul or Terraformars and not FBI sponsored fly traps.

MHA 05

This is the chapter where I dropped the manga but I think they still left a few pages of it unadapted. Any long running manga adaptation will usually need time to get into the gist of things but the slow ass pacing is adding to that in spades. Expected to be here at ep 03.

Eraserhead seems like a completely broken character if his Quirk has no limitations. And what's up with his bandages ? Does he have two abilities ?

Tanaka is Always Checking Them 04

Undropped. Shiraishi isn't maybe the most original character but for the first time, the comedy resonated with me, probably cause Tanaka's listlessness was given much less focus in this episode.

If you maybe exclude Love Live, Ufotable's Tales (though I don't think anyone truely expects a great anime) there isn't anything with a lot of hype in the summer season. Time will tell how the summer season performs.

At least we are getting a new football anime.

I don't consider "has a lot of entries in popular franchises" to be the mark of a good anime season.

MHA 05

Eraserhead seems like a completely broken character if his Quirk has no limitations. And what's up with his bandages ? Does he have two abilities ?

It does have limitations.

-He has to constantly stare at the target without blinking in order for it to work.
-If he uses it for a long period of time his eyes will start to dry out.

Narag

My Hero Academia 5
yCibDXDl.png
n0fsmi9l.png

MHA's loud humor is as bad as the legacy stuff is good.

I did in my first post. Why should I know how many of the (original) shows end quality wise?

If your tastes completely align with whatever is most popular and well-known among anime fans, that's understandable. If you're trying to do a sales prediction, that's also understandable. (Although hit anime often come out of nowhere; e.g., Osomatsu-san.) Myself, I go by what anime look like they'll be the most enjoyable to watch - the ones that have good staff, an interesting premise, and attractive art. I could not care less about Love Live or Tales.

But we know that fall has the more anticipated shows.

I'm curious; what shows are you thinking of? If we're going by popular franchises, I can see the fourth season of UtaPri being the biggest one, and then there are new seasons of the modestly successful anime Natsume's Book of Friends and Sound Euphonium.

Flying Witch 04

The cherry blossoms backgrounds were really pretty in this episode, specially at the end. Still a very comfy watch.

But we know that fall has the more anticipated shows.

After taking a quick look at the Fall on Anichart, as of now, I don't think so. I only see Haikyuu S3 and Euphonium S2. The Summer is stacked with stuff people are looking forward to. 91days, Soma, Battery, Danganronpa, DAYS, Handa-kun, Mob Psycho, orange, TabooTattoo and more. Summer is pretty damn stacked.

I'm not watching MHA anymore because the pace is way to fucking slow for me since I read the manga.

It's way too sluggish even for me who hasn't read the manga. Most of the people that like the pacing actually seem to be manga readers and preexisting fans of the source material.

Has any long-running series ever aired on the channel/timeslot MHA is airing on?

I'm wondering if the show will ever go into that kind of status when it comes back for a season 2 of sorts.

pbayne

people looking forward to danganronpa? they using the same staff from that last anime? :T

Yep looks to be the same studio and director on it.

Im optimistic it'll be better. The fact that its original content suited for anime and not the game already means its story should fit a lot better.

Narag

Danball Senki W 10

Off to Cairo as terrorists ravage the city and demand Egypt immediately cease all oil production and exports. Just another day in the world of Danball Senki W

If your tastes completely align with whatever is most popular and well-known among anime fans, that's understandable. If you're trying to do a sales prediction, that's also understandable. (Although hit anime often come out of nowhere; e.g., Osomatsu-san.) Myself, I go by what anime look like they'll be the most enjoyable to watch - the ones that have good staff, an interesting premise, and attractive art. I could not care less about Love Live or Tales.

I'm curious; what shows are you thinking of? If we're going by popular franchises, I can see the fourth season of UtaPri being the biggest one, and then there are new seasons of the modestly successful anime Natsume's Book of Friends and Sound Euphonium.

March comes like a Lion getting the NHK treatment is a pretty big deal.

We know there are already Haikyuu!!, Hibike Natsume, Uta no☆Prince-sama, Wixoss, Gundam, and Touken Ranbu. The industry clearly pulls out most of their bigger titles this fall season.

Jintor

boku no hero 5

all the new voices this ep were awesome, especially eraserhead.

on the other hand bakugou sounds like maybe too assholish. tone it down ya dingus.

I really feel like the new d.gray man anime will be another exodus due too the barrier of entry :(

Such a shame since its one of the best shonen.

phaze

I really feel the new d.gray man anime will be another exodus due too the barrier of entry :(

Such a shame since its one of the best shonen.

You just need to bring AquaWateria back from his exile and employ his supreme shilling powers !

Amagami SS + 01-02

Pleasantly surprised to see the melodrama nipped in its bud, Tsukasa not succumbing to the might of misunderstandings and just generally people talking out their issues. Truly best girl.

Amagami SS + 03-04

After so many fails I honestly thought Rihoko was going to take an L in this arc too but I guess the power of Junichi's accidental fallings and pinning girls to the ground was just too strong.
----

By the way, one of the few not awful things that came out of God Eater is out.

Eumi

I don't understand this show. It keeps acting like its some absurd dark comedy like Danganronpa or something but it really, really isn't. So far this show has basically all been happy fun times in school with the pain thing merely being a plot device to get these characters to meet. You could replace the Kiznaiver project with a remedial summer class and I'm not sure much would even change. But it keeps trying to let us know that this is 'dark' and 'wacky', like with the counsellor pulling out the gun at the arcade, despite so far being neither of those things.

But man, I'm starting to love the characters, the designs are top notch and I guess you can do worse than an average plot.

Redhaired girl is still a terrible forced love interest though. There is no reason given as to why she loves main guy, and main guy has no reason to love her. It's especially irritating since this can only get in the way of main guy and blue haired girls (non-romantic) relationship, and that one actually has the chance to be interesting.

Cornbread78

My Hero Academia ep.5
Wow, they sure took their tine for that 1 moment, lol. Amazingly enough, it looks like he is slowly learning how to control that one move. That should make school life easier. Hey, no tears this time at least.

phaze

My Hero Academia ep.5
Wow, they sure took their tine for that 1 moment, lol. Amazingly enough, it looks like he is slowly learning how to control that one move. That should make school life easier. Hey, no tears this time at least.

He teared up two times by my count.

Kiznaiver 04
Nico is a miracle of the universe and the purest of angels.

Relatively uneventful episode but time still flew by. I think it says a lot how much I enjoy character interactions and humor in this show.I think the one thing that bothers me about it is how easily they all bend to the whims of blue haired psycho, well Honoka aside but her whining too is unproductive. Why not try to call police or media or your parents or whoever. I know the answer is, "it's an anime dude." but having a scene where they try to notify authorities, only to, say, find out said authorities are in Kiznaiver committee or in cahoots with it would go long way towards satisfying me on that issue.

KraytarJ

I don't understand this show. It keeps acting like its some absurd dark comedy like Danganronpa or something but it really, really isn't. So far this show has basically all been happy fun times in school with the pain thing merely being a plot device to get these characters to meet. You could replace the Kiznaiver project with a remedial summer class and I'm not sure much would even change. But it keeps trying to let us know that this is 'dark' and 'wacky', like with the counsellor pulling out the gun at the arcade, despite so far being neither of those things.

But man, I'm starting to love the characters, the designs are top notch and I guess you can do worse than an average plot.

Redhaired girl is still a terrible forced love interest though. There is no reason given as to why she loves main guy, and main guy has no reason to love her. It's especially irritating since this can only get in the way of main guy and blue haired girls (non-romantic) relationship, and that one actually has the chance to be interesting.

I agree with you one pretty much everything you said. In particular with the love interest between Chidori and Katsuhira. I think the show would be much more interesting if Chidori only used to love him, not only to open them both up to have different and more interesting interactions with the other characters but also because that's also a far less common relationship in anime, I personally haven't seen many shows that deal with love that dissipated in the past but having a romance between the main guy and girl just feels so forced if it's not done properly.

Theonik

Has any long-running series ever aired on the channel/timeslot MHA is airing on?

I'm wondering if the show will ever go into that kind of status when it comes back for a season 2 of sorts.

Gundam Age ran for a year. Otherwise Nichigo shows have mostly been 2-cour, though some have had multiple seasons on the timeslot (Magi, Iron-blooded Orphans). Nichigo programming has been unusually chaotic this year, so what happens with the timeslot once IBO S2 is finished next year is up in the air.

March comes like a Lion getting the NHK treatment is a pretty big deal.

It is a big deal, especially airing on NHK-General, but I don't know if it'll be particularly popular among hardcore anime fans, not that that's who the show is targeted at of course.

We know there are already Haikyuu!!, Hibike Natsume, Uta no☆Prince-sama, Wixoss, Gundam, and Touken Ranbu. The industry clearly pulls out most of their bigger titles this fall season.

Is Wixoss really a big franchise? It's successful enough for the production companies to want to fund more anime, sure, but disc sales were small and I have no idea how popular the card game is.

There is a general opinion that spring and fall are the "main" anime seasons while winter and summer are "off" seasons, and while that has some basis in reality it's hardly an ironclad rule and ultimately has no bearing on the actual quality of shows that come out in a particular season.

pbayne

DJ Tonkatsu 4

Fuck. Whoever said the lyrics of the main theme sound like CHECK IT OUT PARTY PISS has ruined that song for me. I can't unhear it.

Nijiiro Days 16

Mari's disgusted face makes her look a bit like Revy. Cmon Mattsun, Maa-kun obviously=him.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kiznaiver 4
Only Okada could think about school counselor suddenly giving advice to a students how to kill another student and shot an arcade machine with an assault rifle.
Nico face is the best.

My Hero Academia 5

Honestly I feel all the pacing talk is hightened because we know the series is only getting 13 episodes and have no idea when a second season is coming. The pacing in terms of shonen manga adaptations is somewhere in the middle its not as terrible as shows like Shippuden or Bleach but its not as good as stuff like Gintama or Shokugeki. I find myself in the middle I wish the episodes covered a bit more since I love the manga and want to see as much as possible adapted now, at the same time I really can't complain with how the anime team has handed this season it feels appropriate for the kind of show they're making.

Above holds true for this weeks episode, I wish it could have gone a bit faster so to wrap up this test in this episode, at the same token I the episode never dragged for me and the running time just flew by.

Sterok

For an annual weekly show Precure consistently has some really good fight scenes. I wasn't a huge fan of Go Princess, but even random monsters of the week had great battles with impact. Maho Girls's biggest flaw in fact is that the fights aren't as good as Go Pri's (which I blame on them blowing the budget of 4 transformation sequences).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I need a listlissness-off between Tanaka, Oreki and Kumin.

You know, I really like the VA that does D-Frags Takao dub, she did Chiho from Devil is a Part timer and Rea from Sankarea. Probably up there for my favorite female voice actor even though I don't know her name lol :v

I need a listlissness-off between Tanaka, Oreki and Kumin.
Tanaka wins because his friends have a harder time getting him to do anything and sometimes enable him and he might stop working mid-stream. Oreki can easily be goaded into working and finishes the job.

bokuhero 05

I liked this episode better because of the side cast but the payoff on episode 5 of 13 is...Deku throwing a baseball good? zzzzzzz

tonkatsu dj 04

i cant unhear "check it out party piss"

people looking forward to danganronpa? they using the same staff from that last anime? :T

It's going to be an original thing so at least they can't just be as lazy as possible...I hope.

If its going to be 13 episodes what I'm really worried about is it being essentially two things, the Future Foundation stuff and the Remnants of Despair stuff. I'm not sure if the writing in Danganronpa is fit or succinct enough to properly show how the Remnants of Despair even got to the point they were from where they started. The Future Foundation stuff is supposed to put a bow on the first two games plotline while somehow also connecting it to V3 which is like a sequel but not...It will probably be a mess but I hope not.

If its going to be 13 episodes what I'm really worried about is it being essentially two things, the Future Foundation stuff and the Remnants of Despair stuff. I'm not sure if the writing in Danganronpa is fit or succinct enough to properly show how the Remnants of Despair even got to the point they were from where they started. The Future Foundation stuff is supposed to put a bow on the first two games plotline while somehow also connecting it to V3 which is like a sequel but not...It will probably be a mess but I hope not.

No matter how bad it is it probably can't be worse than AE.

No matter how bad it is it probably can't be worse than AE.

I dunno UDG has Toko in it and DR3 probably wont

The Remnants of Despair stuff is what really has me interested. Each member is so far removed from where they eventually end up which we haven't really seen that I don't know how you would properly show that change for each of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom