• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbayne

Dennou Coil 5-6

Isako using those Lord of Flies tactics to take over.
Pretty funny when the girls got disorientated after taking their glasses off, i guess it was to show that the can't think of life without their phone/internet since it's become so ingrained for them.

duckroll

I saw "Future Foundation" and got all excited because I thought there was some new awesome Fantastic Four anime being made. But nope, just more weeb crap.

DJ Tonkatsu 4

Fuck. Whoever said the lyrics of the main theme sound like CHECK IT OUT PARTY PISS has ruined that song for me. I can't unhear it.

That was what I heard from the very first trailer!

It's going to be an original thing so at least they can't just be as lazy as possible...I hope.

If its going to be 13 episodes what I'm really worried about is it being essentially two things, the Future Foundation stuff and the Remnants of Despair stuff. I'm not sure if the writing in Danganronpa is fit or succinct enough to properly show how the Remnants of Despair even got to the point they were from where they started. The Future Foundation stuff is supposed to put a bow on the first two games plotline while somehow also connecting it to V3 which is like a sequel but not...It will probably be a mess but I hope not.

The Danganronpa 3 anime is 2-cour, but it's split into two parts which are airing concurrently, so there'll be 2 Danganronpa anime episodes each week during the summer season: one of the Despair Arc and one of the Future Arc.

The Danganronpa 3 anime is 2-cour, but it's split into two parts which are airing concurrently, so there'll be 2 Danganronpa anime episodes each week during the summer season: one of the Despair Arc and one of the Future Arc.

That's a really bizarre way to handle this. I wonder if they'll actually take advantage of it to connect things between episodes airing in the same week, probably not.

Oh really? That sounds a lot better then what I imagined.

That's a really bizarre way to handle this. I wonder if they'll actually take advantage of it to connect things between episodes airing in the same week, probably not.

They could. The two things are totally related, but I think the Despair arc is supposed to be a prequel.

Kumamiko 05

ZIM0NTt.jpg
TSJFgPQ.jpg
This bear has a dark imagination.

Ascheroth

Re:Zero #5

I find it pretty interesting that only the 2nd episode so far had both the OP and ED. The 1st and 3rd had neither, the 4th only the OP and this one only the ED. They're really trying to use as much time as possible for the actual content.

You could basically feel Subarus despair at the beginning of the episode. Thankfully he managed to calm down rather quickly.
The main part of the episode was again mostly character interactions, but flew by nonetheless.
And then we learned what actually happened. And holy shit that was some insane tension that literally came out of nowhere.
Subaru nearly broke down at the beginning of this episode, how will he hold up next?

I love that Subaru actually has to learn to read and write because they have a different writing system. This is something that usually never gets touched on in these kind of stories, because it's either Japanese in the fantasy world as well or the protagonist just magically knows it.

In short, this show continues to be excellent.

Exalted

Re:Zero Episode 5

Great episode ! Really loved all the interactions between characters, those two maids are really great, loved that they got so much time in this episode. Also love the mystery aspect of this show, can't wait for next week.
The after credits scene reminded me that being Subaru is suffering, since i almost forgot it.

Theonik

For an annual weekly show Precure consistently has some really good fight scenes. I wasn't a huge fan of Go Princess, but even random monsters of the week had great battles with impact. Maho Girls's biggest flaw in fact is that the fights aren't as good as Go Pri's (which I blame on them blowing the budget of 4 transformation sequences).
I think it's less because of the stock footage and more because of fatigue from the Go Princess finale creeping in. There's still some good looking stuff on Maho PreCure.

We might see better animation down the line for the show.

Dragon Ball Super 41

I don't even know where to begin with this episode. And I don't really mean that in a bad way. I don't even know what I mean by that.

Beerus and Champa are scared shitless of this dude who is pretty much the ruler of all the multiverse. His name is the King of Everything ffs.

So in true Goku style the 30 year long running joke finally hits its peak as he just casually handshakes the dude after he announced he was going to do a super duper tournament except every universe would be involved because tournaments are fun too watch. I agree little guy this arc was pretty fun.

And then I remembered this entire tournament was for the Super Dragon Balls and they make their wish and thats when the episode gets weirddddd

I don't want to get too image spammy but this entire sequence is just odd. It looks somewhat unfinished with a bunch of bad cuts and really weird transitions. Now the real kicker here is that I am about 95% sure that they just photoshopped Jupiter and Saturn into this. Multiple times. Jupiter shows up multiple times with color changes and I swear to God you can see some space below it where they didn't crop so good but that is without a doubt Jupiter. Just Google image search Jupiter and you will find a million pictures that are the same thing, cuz its Jupiter. Lets not even get into how that doesn't make any sense from a cosmic standpoint because who cares its Dragon Ball. Now I've seen some weird shit in Toei stuff but I think this might take the cake.

Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Shenron himself also looks kinda shitty. He looks like some dragon from one of the 2,000 card battle shows DTL watches.

Last but not least after summoning him and getting transported to some weird as pocket dimension Chi-Chi says the most Chi-Chi thing she could have said in this situation

Dragon Ball Super is a thing and I think it finally drove me insane

Next episode is a post-arc comedy episode that looks amazing.

Jarmel

Banned
MHA-5

Now that I think about it, I don't think I like Deku's VA. He sounds a bit too high pitched and whiny even during the more serious moments.

phaze

Re Zero 04

I feel like I might like this even more now that it became
murder mystery of sorts.

And is this the first time we saw the actual ED ? This is the first show I've seen that from the very beginning, is casually skipping both its opening and ending. I guess they want to pack as much stuff into an episode as they can.

Ed: Oh the 2nd ep had ED already apparently.

Ascheroth

Ed: Oh the 2nd ep had ED already apparently.

...Actually you're right. The 2nd episode had the ED as well but over mostly a black screen with a couple snowflakes.
This really is the first time we saw it in its entirety.

It's still the second where it doesn't play while there is still something going on in the background.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not overly sure the opening in Kiznaiver episode 1 even happened. The red color filter is used in episode 2 with Honoka to denote a delusion.
Then the scene in episode 4 is framed completely different. It's weird.

Cornbread78

Endride ep.5
Hopefully, this is the end of these two bitches fighting between themselves like little children. Action was pretty good, but the characters are just so meh still

Re:Zero 05

You know Subaru's personality may be a bit off-putting at times but I can't fault the way he's trying to deduce the reasons for his current situation and how he taking all kinds of factors into consideration to help avoid his death again. The people working on this show really do while at the beginning to show how distraught he was in suffering another time reversal and having to get along with everyone again.

Also this episode shows there's clearly something up with the twins. while the previous episode hinted at it this episode made it even more obvious the twins have more obvious difference than maybe the just playful ones.

I suspect that Rem is the one actually killing him. I noticed how they've played up the difference between the two maid. Ram is really good at being a maid while Rem isn't really but Rem is still considered skilled though it isn't mention what her good skills actually are. Then there's the whole demon conversation. I suspect her good skills are killing people. Too bad everything he was doing was for naught and he had to suffer and even more agonizingly painful death.

JulianImp

Lost Village #5
Still meh. Too many characters that are still too one-dimensional for me to care about them, and of course everybody's acting paranoid as hell in order to prevent them from sharing information and solving most issues singlehandedly. I can kind of tolerate some people running around with a grip on the idiot ball, but I can't stand how some horror stories absolutely depend on the whole cast being stupid as hell and failing to work together... I liked Higurashi precisely because the sense of dread it built didn't rely on people being stupid and felt a lot more believable as a result.

Another got me hooked on its bizarreness and then got derailed into a show I wanted to watch for the sake of seeing where the trainwreck would end up, but Mayoiga so far hasn't managed to captivate nor amuse me.

Kiznaiver #4
Decent episode, even though the weird plot development with the bullies and the teacher felt really weird. I like the character interactions for the most part so far, but it's still weird that the show hasn't explained its setting all that much. Even if it's just about bonding with others, I feel like Kokoro Connect did a way better job of framing its narrative in comparison.

Re: Zero #5
This continues being my surprise show of the season, with good animation and characters and a fun mystery twist to the standard isekai formula that makes the show stand out a lot despite its overdone setting. The MC throwing otaku slang around is a bit annoying since I don't like that kind of character, but it's nice that he doesn't do it all the time at the very least.

I think the show won't be able to keep the "who killed me and how/why/when?" thing going on after this arc since it'd get stale by virtue of repetition, but it's been exploring revival/save points fairly well so far, so I hope it continues to surprise me in mostly grateful ways like it has been doing so far.

phaze

Re:Zero 05

You know Subaru's personality may be a bit off-putting at times but I can't fault the way he's trying to deduce the reasons for his current situation and how he taking all kinds of factors into consideration to help avoid his death again. The people working on this show really do while at the beginning to show how distraught he was in suffering another time reversal and having to get along with everyone again.

Also this episode shows there's clearly something up with the twins. while the previous episode hinted at it this episode made it even more obvious the twins have more obvious difference than maybe the just playful ones.

I suspect that Rem is the one actually killing him. I noticed how they've played up the difference between the two maid. Ram is really good at being a maid while Rem isn't really but Rem is still considered skilled though it isn't mention what her good skills actually are. I suspect her good skills are killing people. Too bad everything he was doing was for naught and he had to suffer and even more agonizingly painful death.

It's the drill loli.

Only the baddies sport such awful haircuts.

Jex

I'm not overly sure the opening in Kiznaiver episode 1 even happened. The red color filter is used in episode 2 with Honoka to denote a delusion.

Then the scene in episode 4 is framed completely different. It's weird.

It's really hard to say because Kiznaiver is such a bizarre series that both plays up and defies normal conventions. It makes it pretty hard to guess where it will go, story wise.

Future Boy Conan 3

This kid feels like Huckleberry Finn, with his wild, freedom-loving lifestyle. But man, the 1970s sure were a different time. You couldn't get away with showing a child casually smoking in today's anime. Jojo couldn't get away with it, and that was an older character in a show not mainly targeted at young children!

Ascheroth

But isn't she the only one that remembers him? That alone makes it very unlikely that she is the culprit.

I think she knows what's happening and who it is but isn't doing anything about it because it isn't her problem or something.

She only remembers him because his safe point got set to him waking up after she made him fall unconscious.
Remember when Subaru woke up the first time he was alone, strolled the mansion, got knocked unconscious by Betty and then woke up again with the maids in the room, which seems to have been made his savepoint for the current loop.

She only remembers him because his safe point got set to him waking up after she made him fall unconscious.
Remember when Subaru woke up the first time he was alone, strolled the mansion, got knocked unconscious by Betty and then woke up again with the maids in the room, which seems to have been made his savepoint for the current loop.
Good point for why she still remembers him, I forgot about that.

Though I still think she knows about his impending doom because of her odd comment in episode 4 about something nothing having anything to do with her. But that comment might be directed at something else.

phaze

But isn't she the only one that remembers him? That alone makes it very unlikely that she is the culprit.

As Ascheroth says, it only points to the timeframe of the savepoint I think.

But I was being facetious, so far I'd agree that
red hair
is the most likely culprit,
probably at the behest of her master
. That intrigue was pretty heavily alluded to in the first episode of the arc.

Line_HTX

Just googled her, Tia Ballard is her name. In a perfect world she'd Dub Erina :'v so that waifu and VA love combine.

I don't remember much of her, so I can't think of a character off the top of my head.

I don't know who I'd want for Erina-sama, haven't put much thought into it because Sentai is starting to push out a few other dubs instead, lol

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So ReZero is sort of the front runner for one of the best of the season. I love Jojo and My Hero Academia a lot too, but I actively want this show to keep going. It doesn't hurt that they squeeze in almost half an hour (vs 20 mins) and the animation quality is really good.

Episode 4 was bonkers. The characterization was amazing. I also like that they're subverting the reliving the same day tropes kind of uniquely. Can't wait for next week.

I don't remember much of her, so I can't think of a character off the top of my head.

I don't know who I'd want for Erina-sama, haven't put much thought into it because Sentai is starting to push out a few other dubs instead, lol
She did Happy from Fairy tale lol I did not know that one.
This is her list, she's been doing a lot of stuff.
Tia

Also I don't know but hopefully they get someone that can sound similar to her Japanese VA.

TUSR

Banned
Ilya is old and busted.

And a cause of countless casualties among our brethren.

And almost no one is actually watching it or at least posting about it.

And as responsible and mindful anime connoisseurs, we should strive to highlight good shows from directors of such masterpieces like Blade&Soul or Terraformars and not FBI sponsored fly traps.

Illya will be good this season.

Hopefully people see past its tarnished reputation.

I promise.

Jex

[Mayoiga] - 5

This show continues to be amazing. I haven’t been let down yet!

I know many people in this thread, and elsewhere, have found this series to be very disappointing. I feel that this is because every single week they are expecting the series to be something it is not. Something that it never proclaimed to be.

Mayoiga is not some shlocky, Final Destination-esque series where a bunch of horrible characters get killed off in various gory ways. Nor is it very likely to suddenly become that, either next week or the week after.

From the very first scene this show has been about a huge cast of largely terrible, nutty people arguing with each other. For me, and I assume others who are still watching this, the appeal of the show comes from the interaction of the cast. How will they bounce off each other? How will they deal with the unique situations they are placed in?

If you think that watching these characters talk to and interact with each other is the “filler” then this might not be the series for you. Those character interactions are the meat of the series and they have been since episode one.

Jarmel

Banned
Mayoiga is not some shlocky, Final Destination-esque series where a bunch of horrible characters get killed off in various gory ways. Nor is it very likely to suddenly become that, either next week or the week after.
I totally expect that at some point. We already got a body count.

Exalted

So ReZero is sort of the front runner for one of the best of the season. I love Jojo and My Hero Academia a lot too, but I actively want this show to keep going. It doesn't hurt that they squeeze in almost half an hour (vs 20 mins) and the animation quality is really good.

Episode 4 was bonkers. The characterization was amazing. I also like that they're subverting the reliving the same day tropes kind of uniquely. Can't wait for next week.

Re Zero is also one of my favorites this season, and while there are many good shows that i like this season, Re Zero is the only one, that i'm actually looking forward to see where the story will go, since i don't really know what to expect. Hope the show can keep it up.

Tonkatsu DJ 4

This continues to be the highlight of the season, fuck everything else, the sick beats in here has everything else beat. Looks like next episode we're going to see what his training did and whether he chokes on his first show. Looking forward to it, show me the fruits of your labor Tonkatsu DJ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom