• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
I was willing to buy into the whole 'reality show' concept until the past couple of episodes. People hearing/seeing different things lends to it actually being supernatural in nature. They would have to do a lot of explanations to explain stuff.

Also there's no reason to doubt the Lion Girl's ability especially as she was essentially talking to the audience, which lends to there being a supernatural element.

duckroll

If I were 10 years younger, I would be totally sold on supernatural being the only answer to the stuff happening in the show. But having played 7 fucking Layton games, I can't say it is the only possibility or even the strongest possibility anymore.

NeonZ

That's a really bizarre way to handle this. I wonder if they'll actually take advantage of it to connect things between episodes airing in the same week, probably not.

I don't think every episode will be connected, but there will likely be connections between the two plotlines, and events revealed in the Despair chapter that will give new light to elements of the sequel part. It's clear they intend to do something like that with the Ryota Mitarai character who's in both parts but seems completely different in each one. (Spoilers for Dangan Ronpa 2)
And even knowing that fat Ryota is the Ultimate Imposter the whole scenario is kind of odd, since the "real" Ryota is also listed as a student of class 77, just like the Remnant of Despair characters.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If I were 10 years younger, I would be totally sold on supernatural being the only answer to the stuff happening in the show. But having played 7 fucking Layton games, I can't say it is the only possibility or even the strongest possibility anymore.

Unwound Future was a trip.

Qurupeke

What if no one dies in Mayoiga?

What if Yottsun is totally fine, and that thing in the river wasn't a body?

W05drLL.png

Nah... 30 people aren't there just for hilarious discussions.

Thoraxes

Kumamiko 05

This bear has a dark imagination.

:D
I went into every Layton game thinking that I know what will happen, got suckered into believing this time will be different, then got all surprised when it wasn't.
And I fell for that cycle with every game. I don't even know why lol

Narag

I still say the Lovepon nerds should respect her going out if she's executed by the others. She would have wanted it that way.

Too late. Everyone in the cast already realized Lovepon is the mascot of the show and thus invincible so they won't even blink when she screams to execute someone or attempts to torture someone for little to no reason.

Showcased by her saying that they should Execute the ghost, and the reaction not being "stop trying to execute everyone" but "no silly you can't execute a ghost"

Theonik

The true culprit is a slider puzzle.

Ascheroth

So I just found out Re:Zero already has three 2 minute shorts that give a bit more insight towards the world and stuff that happened during the normal length show.

I have to say, it actually looks like the world was given way more thought then just using a generic fantasy template filled with fantasy stuff.
They actually talked about how their daycycle is broken up, what they use to tell the time and how things are called a bit differently, like how an apple is an appa or a pepper a peppir. Little stuff, but it's little stuff like this I really like.
Emilia and Puck touched a bit upon what powers Reinhard has and also brought up how Subaru called out to Puck in episode 3 even though he shouldn't have known his name.

phaze

So I just found out Re:Zero already has three 2 minute shorts that give a bit more insight towards the world and stuff that happened during the normal length show.

I have to say, it actually looks like the world was given way more thought then just using a generic fantasy template filled with fantasy stuff.
They actually talked about how their daycycle is broken up, what they use to tell the time and how things are called a bit differently, like how an apple is an appa or a pepper a peppir. Little stuff, but it's little stuff like this I really like.
Emilia and Puck touched a bit upon what powers Reinhard has and also brought up how Subaru called out to Puck in episode 3 even though he shouldn't have known his name.

Tanaka-kun also has a bunch of 30 second long skits available IIRC.

Sölf

I have no idea in which direction Mayoiga is going. But I love it. This is a crazy ride after only 5 episodes already.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Anime Lost 1-5

It makes me laugh how the tsundere girl is hot for Mitsumine, but also super tsundere, so to show how much she dislikes him (lies), she decides to flirt with him and be nice to him.

Line_HTX

She did Happy from Fairy tale lol I did not know that one.
This is her list, she's been doing a lot of stuff.
Tia

Also I don't know but hopefully they get someone that can sound similar to her Japanese VA.

Ahh, no wonder, I have not seen any of these dubbed.

YOO... Tia is Mari Kurihara, got dayum, hahaha

[Mayoiga] - 5

This show continues to be amazing. I haven’t been let down yet!

I know many people in this thread, and elsewhere, have found this series to be very disappointing. I feel that this is because every single week they are expecting the series to be something it is not. Something that it never proclaimed to be.

Mayoiga is not some shlocky, Final Destination-esque series where a bunch of horrible characters get killed off in various gory ways. Nor is it very likely to suddenly become that, either next week or the week after.

From the very first scene this show has been about a huge cast of largely terrible, nutty people arguing with each other. For me, and I assume others who are still watching this, the appeal of the show comes from the interaction of the cast. How will they bounce off each other? How will they deal with the unique situations they are placed in?

If you think that watching these characters talk to and interact with each other is the “filler” then this might not be the series for you. Those character interactions are the meat of the series and they have been since episode one.

The grounds you describe are the grounds on which I don't like it. You guys are hyping some legit rubbish. *Kermit sip*

KraytarJ

At this point I'm just waiting for the breaking point. Over two dozen crazy people being driven mad by fear and paranoia in a small village, eventually something has to actually happen and I'm hoping whatever it is it stirs some shit up.

I don't have a problem with Mayoiga being about crazy idiots talking to each other all the time, but it's not well executed. The conversations are mostly 50 people taking turns interjecting about their gimmick and the humor misses more than it hits. The bloated cast constantly gets in the way. There are a few entertaining moments per episode so I'm still watching it, but I don't think the dialogue is done particularly well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't get how you could be disappointed at Mayoiga. It advertised itself as "Anime Lost" and its absolutely 100% delivering on that.

Perhaps the same could be said of all anime hype trains.

Some necessary perspective for the anime fan.

I don't have a problem with Mayoiga's being about crazy idiots talking to each other all the time, but it's not well executed. The conversations are mostly 50 people taking turning interjecting about their gimmick and the humor misses than it hits. The bloated cast constantly gets in the way. There are a few entertaining moments per episode so I'm still watching it, but I don't think the dialogue is done particularly well.

All words I agree with.

Mayoiga 05

Felt like people did a lot of fucking talking over one another for a whole lot of fucking nothing. I hope someone kills Execute-chan by the end of this.

Quasar

I did in my first post. Why should I know how many of the (original) shows end quality wise?

But we know that fall has the more anticipated shows.

Like what? Looking at the mal list theres just Euphonium S2 and Natsume. Which I'll admit Natsume alone has me more hyped for the season, but thats one of my alltime fave shows.

Aki-at

School Rumble - 7

I wasn't initially sold on the show from the start, one thing that I felt was missing was there wasn't enough interaction between the classmates but the last two episodes have been extremely fun to watch because the classmates are all interacting with each other. So far the pool episode has definitely been my favourite.

Lupin III 2015 25-26

Stay free
Rebecca. Team #fujiko all day

Lupin chose poorly.

Gargantia on the Verderous Planet 10

The last episode was honestly rather boring, but Ledo's PTSD and Pinion's transformation into a power-hungry maniac made this one interesting to watch.

Some necessary perspective for the anime fan.

If people are enjoying something, I think it's fair to express that enjoyment. There are situations where I do not agree with what seems to be a mostly positive reception to an anime (e.g. My Hero Academia, or to take a different example Redline), but I don't think that means others shouldn't express their honest reactions. That's how we get interesting discussions!

For Mayoiga, I think your reaction to it all depends on whether the weird style of bizarre dialogue resonates with you or not.

Kansoku

If putting Reddit/4chan/2ch on a bus and sending them to the Japanese rural village version of the LOST island where they keep arguing and slowly get paranoid seems interesting to you, then yeah, chances are you'll like it.

Qurupeke

so is mayoiga actually good or ironic good like 100?

It's just that other than the characters talking and doing some stupid stuff, not much happened. Most of the people expect over the top deaths like Another or Blood-C, but it's far from that so far. Just over the top terrible personalities, and there's a bunch of them. Some like this, others don't.

It's just that other than the characters talking and doing some stupid stuff, not much happened. Most of the people expect over the top deaths like Another or Blood-C, but it's far from that so far. Just over the top terrible personalities, and there's a bunch of them. Some like this, others don't.

no hilarious deaths?

Guess I'll wait until/if it happens

Gargantia on the Verderous Planet 10

The last episode was honestly rather boring, but Ledo's PTSD and Pinion's transformation into a power-hungry maniac made this one interesting to watch.

My favourite thing about this episode was Chamber's discussion with Ledo on why the humans have to keep fighting the Hideauze. It was basically him being a realist but not in an antagonistic sort of way like you'd expect from an artificial intelligence kind of character.

no hilarious deaths?

If you want hilarious death scenes, Mayoiga will not satisfy you so far. On the other hand, if you find stuff like this funny, you'd probably get a kick out of the show.

My favourite thing about this episode was Chamber's discussion with Ledo on why the humans have to keep fighting the Hideauze. It was basically him being a realist but not in an antagonistic sort of way like you'd expect from an artificial intelligence kind of character.

This is a more interesting ground for ethical thought than the "Killing is bad!" approach to the pirate attack in episode 3.

Ascheroth

no hilarious deaths?

Mayoigas comedy does not come from deaths.
It comes from a group of stupid people with terrible personalities having to interact with each other in a remote village with no other people (and a pinch of supernatural mystery).

I personally really enjoyed Another and now Mayoiga, too.
But you have to set your expectations accordingly.

Endride Episode 5

Emilio and Shun fighting and thinking similar thoughts was too funny. Ending was really good even if instantly predictable but still it was good.

I think the writer really loves boys arguing, the backstory was just like Emilio and Shun.
hopefully Emilio wont die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom