• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is an anime fan? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk!
Have at you!

An anime fan's words are as empty as their soul.

so if I loved Another in the so bad it's good way, would I like this?

Opportunities for pie gifs were limited from what I saw.

If people are enjoying something, I think it's fair to express that enjoyment. There are situations where I do not agree with what seems to be a mostly positive reception to an anime (e.g. My Hero Academia, or to take a different example Redline), but I don't think that means others shouldn't express their honest reactions. That's how we get interesting discussions!

For Mayoiga, I think your reaction to it all depends on whether the weird style of bizarre dialogue resonates with you or not.

Ah, that was mostly a joke. I agree with you here and don't begrudge anybody their enjoyment of something I'm not into. Except my parents and The Big Bang Theory. Call me Sheldon one more time and I'll stop visiting.

Rainbow Days Episode 16
ChZ1ks2XEAAV7VA.jpg

Mattsun will never carry me :( He looks so good, and shes so lucky. Why keep ignoring him everytime he says he likes you :( :( :(

Cornbread78

ReZero ep.5
That was a very nice SoL episo.. whoa..

I guess he knew it was going to happen, but damn, that got dark at the end. It has to be
the demon maids. Rem made that obvious by that crooked smile on their shopping trip that she was a demon. Now it's a matter of time and what exactly is the reason they are killing him. It could be the drill loli or the Lord as well, but he wants to get closer to Subaru in a different way, lol

Watching Subaru interact with everyone is still the best part of the show.

pbayne

Mari called to Maa-kun(i mean that has to be Mattsun) at the end though. I think its obvious she likes him by this point.

Just T

My Hero Academia: 5

Good to see Aizawa animated, he's one of my favorite characters. I think they did a good job with this episode as well, that last moment was great and the music been on point too. Bakugou is as annoying as ever too.

Concrete Revolutio: 17

This was a great episode. All the different sides were so forceful in regards to dealing with Devilo in the way they thought best but by the end of the episode it's a bit funny just how much Devilo and Devila outclasses them. Jiro and the Bureau intentions do line up a lot but not quite there obviously but wouldn't be surprised if there is a formal team up down the line.

Oh yeah when Devilo was spouting those lines it kinda remind me of Gel from Gatchaman insight for a minute. I thought those last couple of scenes were incredible from Devila appearing to their departure to space. I wonder if and what kind of balance will be in place when this season ends. Ah, it's been nice getting closer to things relating to Emi in a sense, she's a very interesting character but what I'm really looking forward to is learning more about Kikko's side of things, beyond the Jiro infatuation.

KraytarJ

ReZero ep.5
That was a very nice SoL episo.. whoa..

I guess he knew it was going to happen, but damn, that got dark at the end. It has to be
the demon maids. Rem made that obvious by that crooked smile on their shopping trip that she was a demon. Now it's a matter of time and what exactly is the reason they are killing him. It could be the drill loli or the Lord as well, but he wants to get closer to Subaru in a different way, lol

Watching Subaru interact with everyone is still the best part of the show.
I feel like it's got to be
the maids
. I was half expecting
Rem
to show up at the end as the episode faded to black.
Also, after some thought I'd say the character interactions in the show are some of the best this season (only behind Kiznaiver for me). Which is not something I thought would be true after hearing the premise and watching that first episode.

cj_iwakura

Initial D Second Stage 12

I want to feel bad for Natsuki, but maybe if she'd broken it off when she started dating Takumi, this wouldn't be going on at all.

Forgot that Emperor got buried so nonchalantly by Ryosuke.

Gargantia on the Verderous Planet 11

So this is what would have happened if Ledo had been more cunning and Gargantia more weak. While this ending arc isn't the ideal path I wish the story had taken, and so I can understand why people are unhappy with the show, it's still somewhat interesting as Urobuchi thematic explorations go. I'm mostly interested in seeing how Ledo will handle the situation he's found himself in.

Ah, that was mostly a joke. I agree with you here and don't begrudge anybody their enjoyment of something I'm not into. Except my parents and The Big Bang Theory. Call me Sheldon one more time and I'll stop visiting.

Oh dear. That is rather unfortunate.

Sölf

School Rumble - 7

I wasn't initially sold on the show from the start, one thing that I felt was missing was there wasn't enough interaction between the classmates but the last two episodes have been extremely fun to watch because the classmates are all interacting with each other. So far the pool episode has definitely been my favourite.

The pool episode is the one were the shows starts to become really good, imo. Read the Manga after finishing S2, because S3 only has the last 2 episodes animated, everything else is missing (so basically ~1/3 of the manga wasn't animated).

Future Card Buddyfight: DDD (Triple D) Episode 5
ChZ6Mw3WMAAjIup.jpg

Well I guess we have our main folks (Noboru, Baks, and Gao, along with Aoi Shouta character) while everyone else (Big Z and TetsuYO) are going to be sitting out of it. Sad as I liked seeing them :( but I wonder if they will play a big role once the series gets ultra serious again.

manfestival

I just want to thank all of those that recommended gundam thunderbolt. I finally got around to the show and it was freaking amazing for 4 episodes. I feel like watching it again. unicorn is fantastic too but this is just so much better because it is to the point and not super long in the process. I kinda hope there is more small offshoots of UC in the future

JulianImp

If I were 10 years younger, I would be totally sold on supernatural being the only answer to the stuff happening in the show. But having played 7 fucking Layton games, I can't say it is the only possibility or even the strongest possibility anymore.

Having read through Umineko recently after I began wathing Another, that's exactly how I tried approaching its supernatural phenomena... until they pointed out some magical curse that could rewrite reality, for crying out loud. My resentment with that show is came from how my own expectations led me to believe the show was going to be something completely different than what I ended up getting, and I don't expect Mayoiga have any kind of "smart" scenario writing.

I don't have a problem with Mayoiga being about crazy idiots talking to each other all the time, but it's not well executed. The conversations are mostly 50 people taking turning interjecting about their gimmick and the humor misses than it hits. The bloated cast constantly gets in the way. There are a few entertaining moments per episode so I'm still watching it, but I don't think the dialogue is done particularly well.

This is exactly what I don't like about this show. I can bear with cheap and hammy psychological horror, but this show's cast is large as Durarara or Baccano's, only Mayoiga's cast has been incredibly flat and predictable so far so watching the interactions between the characters, who as you point out are often limited to speaking up out of nowhere to say their signature phrase and fade into obscurity for the rest of the episode.

If anything, killing people off or otherwise making them disappear for a while would be a great way to devote some decent screen time to a smaller group of characters, since it's apparent that many members of the cast are actually dragging the plot down by virtue of existing (Garfield guy? P-tan and boyfriend? meh), and having them interject with "I'm hungry" or "P-tan's probably right!" every other scene gets boring when they don't do anything at all besides that.

Taruranto

Too bad everyone in Mayoiga appeared in the same scene, or we could speculate some of them being the same person.

I mean, there was that theory about Speedstar not-existing but it sorta blew up 2 episodes ago.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis Episode 22 [engDub]
ChaGWF6WgAU_Qi2.jpg

This time on "Where in the world is Aichi Sendou?!" He finally speaks but we still cant see his full face :(

The GIRS Crisis plan sounded pretty epic especially once Christopher Lo of SIT GENIUS came.

Sölf

Too bad everyone in Mayoiga appeared in the same scene, or we could speculate some of them being the same person.

I mean, there was that theory about Speedstar not-existing but it sorta blowed up 2 episodes ago.

How did this theory come to fruition after they all drove in the same bus? The fuck.

Aki-at

Sölf;202382339 said:
The pool episode is the one were the shows starts to become really good, imo. Read the Manga after finishing S2, because S3 only has the last 2 episodes animated, everything else is missing (so basically ~1/3 of the manga wasn't animated).

Thanks for the heads up, definitely will do. I agree the show has picked up a lot from the pool episode and is now just great fun to watch.

JulianImp

Sölf;202384987 said:
How did this theory come to fruition after they all drove in the same bus? The fuck.

I think he's making a reference to Umineko, which really loved playing around with unreliable narrators and how
characters that weren't the MC were all unreliable at best
, as well as with how the way to refute the magical side of the stories was to
heavily suspect anything that the MC didn't see with his/her own eyes.
I won't mention anything else though, because it was one of my favorite mystery series and I'd rather not spoil that one plot point that changes things a whole lot.

Cornbread78

Date a Live ep.7-8
Ok, there is some good harem comedy still like the three dates at once, then there is some OMG, wtf is going on/just happened stuff like the yuri sexual harassment at the beginning of episode 8. The show is just all over the place to be wise right now..

Jarmel

Banned
Magical Girl Pretty Sammy OVAs-
Magical Girl Pretty Sammy was a spinoff of Tenchi Muyo that centered around Sasami who becomes a magical girl. There were three roughly 40 minute OVAs released between 1995 and 1997 from AIC. There was also a television series that takes place in an alternate timeline as well. The franchise uses characters from the original Tenchi Muyo franchise such as Ryoko, Aeka, Mihoshi, Washu, as well as Kiyone. While many of the character traits are the same such as Ryoko and Aeka fighting over Tenchi, there's a few new ones such as Mihoshi being the smart half of the Mihoshi/Kiyone partnership. Tenchi serves as the actual blood relative of Sasami now and Sasami even has a mother, who is a new creation.
So each episode revolves around a different event and you can tell the staff was different in each segment but it's not like each segment is radically different from its predecessor. That said, other than the introduction parts in episode 1, each episode is largely separate from the others. The premise of the show revolves around Tsunami being a candidate for the throne of Jurai and needs to pick a 'champion' on Earth to apparently do good deeds. Ramia, another candidate, becomes jealous and so picks her own 'champion' as a way to screw over Tsunami. As you can imagine, this leads to an assortment of shenanigans.
The first episode is largely an introduction one but it has Ramia's champion, Pixy Misa, turning Aeka and Ryoko into love blobs that try to love Tenchi to death. The second episode is probably my favorite as it has an evil Bill Gates trying to install Windows ME on every computer worldwide. Tenchi and Sasami stumble across this while looking for a karaoke machine for their mother in the meantime, who has gone berserk. Bill decides that's not enough so he builds magnets around the world to pull the moon towards the Earth in an attempt to cause the moon to crash. The third episode has the group going to the beach and dealing with a renegade alien bent on killing Sammy. All while Sasami tries to get her game on with a clone of her brother.
My favorite was obviously the second episode. It's just amazing from beginning to end in that you have the Bill Gates rant, Sasami's mother going crazy because she can't sing karaoke, Tenchi being an elite hacker and goes to an underground joint, Misa having to be bribed to do her job, Bill trying to crash the moon, Bill summoning a mech out of computer parts, and Washu hacking the cyberspace. The dialogue is straight amazing with all the characters referring to the Internet as either the cybernet or cyberspace. There's also characters saying stuff like:
BG: How did about your volleyball game yesterday? How did it go, Mulligan?

Random Little Girl: I used the standard strategy and your network package and we won!
The dub is pure gold. They apparently dubbed the songs and surprisingly I liked the English versions. I'm pretty sure they got all the old English VAs which I appreciated. Misao's dub VA is hilarious in that she whispers all her lines as Misao and then as Pixy Misa she tries this French accent. I think the dub was my favorite part of the anime. The animation wasn't anything special but there were a number of good shots in the second episode especially of mechanical stuff. The music was done by Seikou Nagaoka, the composer of Strike Witches. There were a few tracks in there I liked but there's a lot of insert songs due to the karaoke jokes.
UP0FDrA.jpg

Love stinks.
I enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting to. I might give the TV show a watch despite magical girls not being my thing. It's definitely worth watching the first two episodes, the first one for the dub and the second one for the insane plot. Anime needs more insane mothers.

Line_HTX

If putting Reddit/4chan/2ch on a bus and sending them to the Japanese rural village version of the LOST island where they keep arguing and slowly get paranoid seems interesting to you, then yeah, chances are you'll like it.

This is the best way of letting people know whether it's for them or not.

I never thought of this comparison before, lol

ibyea

Banned
[Mayoiga] - 5

This show continues to be amazing. I haven’t been let down yet!

I know many people in this thread, and elsewhere, have found this series to be very disappointing. I feel that this is because every single week they are expecting the series to be something it is not. Something that it never proclaimed to be.

Mayoiga is not some shlocky, Final Destination-esque series where a bunch of horrible characters get killed off in various gory ways. Nor is it very likely to suddenly become that, either next week or the week after.

From the very first scene this show has been about a huge cast of largely terrible, nutty people arguing with each other. For me, and I assume others who are still watching this, the appeal of the show comes from the interaction of the cast. How will they bounce off each other? How will they deal with the unique situations they are placed in?

If you think that watching these characters talk to and interact with each other is the “filler” then this might not be the series for you. Those character interactions are the meat of the series and they have been since episode one.

That's the spirit!

I can't remember.

Is it ever explained where the squirrel came from in Gargantia?
latest

There's no land in the entire world right? How does it exist?

Rainy

Banned
Kiznaiver 2

I've fallen behind so this is late.

I liked this episode a lot. The characters all seem really interesting, and I enjoy following them a lot. Will fully catch up tonight. I like Chidori's character design a lot, those red-haired characters though :p

Jarmel

Banned
Re Zero-5

This is a frustrating watch for a number of reasons. The first is that the main character is an idiot and shows little to zero initiative. The second is that the show spends so much time on each loop, that just comes off as wasted airtime due to the reset nature.

This could be a vastly better show.

Re Zero-5

This is a frustrating watch for a number of reasons. The first is that the main character is an idiot and shows little to zero initiative. The second is that the show spends so much time on each loop, that just comes off as wasted airtime due to the reset nature.

I don't understand what you mean by this because he is quite clearly taking initiative in trying to figure out how he died and trying to influence the situation. If you can't see this then you aren't even remotely paying attention. I mean what you want him to tell everyone about his insane power which wouldn't actually change anything and one his barely understands?

I think you are forgetting he is average dude in a fantasy world.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't understand what you mean by this because he is quite clearly taking initiative in trying to figure out how he died and trying to influence the situation. If you can't see this then you aren't even remotely paying attention. I mean what you want him to tell everyone about his insane power which wouldn't actually change anything and one his barely understands?

I think you are forgetting he is average dude in a fantasy world.

The one person who might have more information, the librarian, he doesn't bother asking in detail. He then doesn't try any sort of investigation but instead just waits for the night where he gets murdered. He just screws around until the very end.

The last arc he was a dumbass too.

SalvaPot

JoJo - 5

I didn't remember this hitting me as hard in the manga, I think the OST really sold it, and
yeah the only way to "redeem" downvote-kun is with death.

Rurouni Kenshin 2-5
They did change some things as I remember them from the manga, but I think they kind of work. The little girls are adorable and Kaoru is easily one of my favorite female protagonists.

Seinfield Series Finale

This is fucking bullshit.

Flying Witch 3

The sister was quirky fun, I hope she comes back often since he gives a perfect contrast to our witch protagonist.

My Hero Academia 5

It was a bit slow, but the music is so solid, it really brings the best out of the scenes. I wanted to see some anime-only scenes with the other characters for their tests, but they pretty much 1-1 framed the scenes from the manga. Oh well.

The one person who might have more information, the librarian, he doesn't bother asking in detail. He then doesn't try any sort of investigation but instead just waits for the night where he gets murdered. He just screws around until the very end.

The last arc he was a dumbass too.
I don't consider anything he was doing screwing around and neither did him, he legitimately thinks what he doing is having an effect and to be honest, who can blame him? Last time he changed up the way he did things and he got killed differently twice before he got it 'right'. I mean the guy is not perfect, if he thought of everything after every death this wouldn't be a very interesting story.

i.e. Groundhogs Day wouldn't be much of a movie if Bill Murray came up with solution after his first couple resets. Same goes for Edge of Tomorrow.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't consider anything he was doing screwing around and neither did him, he legitimately thinks what he doing is having an effect and to be honest, who can blame him? Last time he changed up the way he did things and he got killed differently twice before he got it 'right'.

Was he asking background questions or try to do any research at all? Was he looking around the castle for secret areas? Did he try to isolate how he died prior to the final night?
The one single solitary person who experienced a jump with him, he doesn't bother asking any followup questions.

For the first arc, the answer had to literally fall into his damn lap and slap him in the face. This time he should be a bit more experienced and instead he does what?

i.e. Groundhogs Day wouldn't be much of a movie if Bill Murray came up with solution after his first couple resets. Same goes for Edge of Tomorrow.

Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow also didn't waste your time with long drawn out loops. Look how economical the storytelling is in both films.

Cornbread78

I feel like it's got to be
the maids
. I was half expecting
Rem
to show up at the end as the episode faded to black.
Also, after some thought I'd say the character interactions in the show are some of the best this season (only behind Kiznaiver for me). Which is not something I thought would be true after hearing the premise and watching that first episode.

That subtle mysterious aspect of the show is a lot of fun. I mean, there are a few suspects here, but it will probably be someone completely off the radar, lol

Re Zero-5

Yes, he is an idiot, but a very likable one though. The banter between characters is usually very well done and that mainly his personality coming through. Now, he has no grand ambition within that world, but his initiative to retrace his steps and make it work was the entire focus of this past episode. He even commented towards the end how he didn't fully retrace his steps, but it was close enough. He also tried to stay awake and we know how that ended. Sure, his motivation was to
get a date with Emilia
but that's one reason the episode was pretty good. The show is also 2 cours, so hopefully, we get more info on a central plot soon.

I really need to throw an OT together for this ahow, lol.

Was he asking background questions or try to do any research at all? Was he looking around the castle for secret areas? Did he try to isolate how he died prior to the final night?
The one single solitary person who experienced a jump with him, he doesn't bother asking any followup questions.

For the first arc, the answer had to literally fall into his damn lap and slap him in the face. This time he should be a bit more experienced and instead he does what?
I'll give you this first point.

Point about secret areas is arguable but it probably isn't wise for him to be snooping about not to mention that magical library is a good distraction but Betty hates him so I doubt he'd make headway there.

How does one isolate their death when the world resets so there would be zero clues to your death or evidence? Especially when you consider he was killed in his sleep.

Nobody else experienced the jump with him. When he wakes up in the bed it is AFTER the first time Betty attacks him and knocks him out. His reset point is after their first meeting not before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom