• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Establishing character relationships is wasting the audience's time? That's always been a large part of the show, it's not paced like a thriller.

When the character relationships are being constantly reset? Yea, it is. Look at how Edge of Tomorrow handles the character dynamics.

I'll give you this first point.

Point about secret areas is arguable but it probably isn't wise for him to be snooping about not to mention that magical library is a good distraction but Betty hates him so I doubt he'd make headway there.

How does one isolate their death when the world resets so there would be zero clues to your death or evidence? Especially when you consider he was killed in his sleep.

Nobody else experienced the jump with him. When he wakes up in the bed it is AFTER the first time Betty attacks him and knocks him out. His reset point is after their first meeting not before.

A person would investigate aspects like security, such as if there was a guest supposed to come over that night. How about poison? Then look into the food storage. Check to see the positions of people that night such as who was in bed or which part of the castle. There are any number of flags you can isolate when you have a rough time window.

Yea you're correct on this point, I thought the reset was at the beginning of episode 4 as I remembered Emilia being with him when he woke up the second time but I guess he left before she got there.

Jarmel

Banned
The events aren't reset for the main character, or the audience.

The relationships however are, resulting in similar scenes such as the end of episode 4 and 5. That was a huge point in Edge of Tomorrow in that the main character became frustrated that he was knowledgeable about a character and yet the other party didn't trust him at all. The movie however doesn't waste the audience's time going over all the pointless conversations. It's enough to establish the relationship between the two parties.

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio: 17
There was something beautiful about the final sequence of the episode, despite Devilo's vacuous stoner hippy words.

When the character relationships are being constantly reset? Yea, it is. Look at how Edge of Tomorrow handles the character dynamics.

A person would investigate aspects like security, such as if there was a guest supposed to come over that night. How about poison? Then look into the food storage. Check to see the positions of people that night such as who was in bed or which part of the castle. There are any number of flags you can isolate when you have a rough time window.

Yea you're correct on this point, I thought the reset was at the beginning of episode 4 as I remembered Emilia being with him when he woke up the second time but I guess he left before she got there.
While the first couple are reasonable it could be argued he would naturally noticed these things while he's cleaning up the mansion and preparing food. The night-time stake out is foolish because unlike a lot of other MCs in his position he has zero offensive skills and his defensive skill requires him to die.

You have to give him credit that point he was vastly limited in his ability to investigate due to the fact he had no idea how he died in the first place. On this reset I expect him to operate better since now he knows the things the lead up to his death. Possible poisoning combined with an outright massacre of his body.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm reading some other impressions offsite and someone nailed it in that there's no sense of urgency in Subaru's actions this episode. For a character who knows he's going to die in a certain number of days, that's a problem.

Gargantia on the Verderous Planet 13 END

Chamber got the chance to be a real badass here. That was pretty neat.

Overall, I feel like a lot of the potential this show had in the world and characters it set up on Gargantia was underutilized. I really wanted to spend more time with Amy and company than the show let me. I can understand why Murata would want to set up a big action climax for the end, but this show was the best at intimate character moments, with episode 8 being the highlight. I would have rather had something along those lines than the escalation which happened. I think there would have been a way to do that while still retaining Ledo's moral conflict and mindset change. I do like the show overall, but it's hard not to think of what could have been. Especially in that sadly canned second season.

It's basically apocalypse now

If Kurtz had died long ago and a robot had been using his corpse as a mouthpiece to retain control.

I did like the symbolism of the empty suit representing the empty ideals Ledo had believed in.

Rainy

Banned
Kiznaiver 04

Another good episode, this show does a good job of showcasing its characters. I am still digging the animation too.

I really want Chidori to end up with Katsuhira...but I have a feeling they are going to pair her up with Tenga, bummer.

I gotta agree with Jarmel, the groundhog day aspect has gone from a useful tool he has to the show's gimmick and is halting character development.

If I can expect every arc to revolve around him surviving the last murder and then trying to get past the next one by trying over and over and over again that's gonna get annoying. This is an especially annoying issue when Subaru and the lead girl have AMAZING chemistry but it's squandered when the shit is reset everytime.

I gotta agree with Jarmel, the groundhog day aspect has gone from a useful tool he has to the show's gimmick and is halting character development.

If I can expect every arc to revolve around him surviving the last murder and then trying to get past the next one by trying over and over and over again that's gonna get annoying. This is an especially annoying issue when Subaru and the lead girl have AMAZING chemistry but it's squandered when the shit is reset everytime.
It isn't really a gimmick though that's like saying any other MC's power in a fantasy show is a gimmick when they have to fight the villain of the week.

It might be a situation of the show isn't what you want it to be. He has no other powers but the reset. Issue is the reset only happens when he dies. I mean what is the other thing you want out of the show? Him to become typical fantasy battle MC with his power? He isn't a fighter so he has to use what little wit and charm he has to figure out how to avoid his death when it happens.

Jintor

ChZu2ufU8AEB9g-.jpg

yo maya that's not

that's not how mirrors work

JulianImp

ChZu2ufU8AEB9g-.jpg

yo maya that's not

that's not how mirrors work

So on top of having a continuity error with Powers walking to the stand after he was already shown there in the shot right before that and the weirdness that was the news broadcast that had Phoenix dress up and teleport to his office with Maya in there in time for the end of the broadcast on Powers' arrest, this week's episode also had this. The awful budget this show got is pretty apparent, sadly.

dat budget.

So on top of having a continuity error with Powers walking to the stand after he was already shown there in the shot right before that and the weirdness that was the news broadcast that had Phoenix dress up and teleport to his office with Maya in there in time for the end of the broadcast on Powers' arrest, this week's episode also had this. The awful budget this show got is pretty apparent, sadly.

This isn't even budget. This is just "no one working on this show cares".

Cornbread78

Eden of the East ep.7-9
This show has gotten pretty serious the past couple episodes, and has been a pretty good watch as they try to figure out his past actions and how to "win" the game. It's always the jealous guy that got rejected that always tries to stir the pot and make things difficult. Hopefully, the truth is revealed soon, so he shuts up, ya know since Taki only spent 2 billion trying to save his ass..

Jarmel

Banned
It isn't really a gimmick though that's like saying any other MC's power in a fantasy show is a gimmick when they have to fight the villain of the week.

It might be a situation of the show isn't what you want it to be. He has no other powers but the reset. Issue is the reset only happens when he dies. I mean what is the other thing you want out of the show? Him to become typical fantasy battle MC with his power? He isn't a fighter so he has to use what little wit and charm he has to figure out how to avoid his death when it happens.

All of that is fine. However one of the problems is the main character isn't demonstrating that wit. He totally lucked out with the first arc and here in the second I'm not seeing anything resembling a brain.

It's a similar problem with the main character in Erased.

the show shouldn't have to abuse the rewind to be interesting. It could be use rarely and occasionally. If every arc is going to revolve around him dying and figuring out how to solve the issue from that, it gets boring. The show can rely on its characters and and use this sparingly. If it's going to be constantly about him dying and resetting everything from zero, then do better timeskips. If he keeps dying due to an issue, then show multiple deaths in an episode and get that over with, I don't need to waste my time seeing him go through the second and third trial with error.

So far we're 5 episodes in and I'm already tired of expecting him to die every episode. Especially when there are characters he has to meet again and gain their trust.

JulianImp

This isn't even budget. This is just "no one working on this show cares".

Whoever managed to get the AA adaptation greenlit must've done so using a monkey's paw, apparently. You know it's bad when people are scraping the bottom of the barrel by praising the latest episode for not using the awful CGI jury, for example.

It's still little more than a bad adaptation of a series where interactivity is one of its main selling points (and I bet kinematic VNs can muster much better mysteries than AA's). The most heart that's getting put into it is CR doing their separate subtitles track with the localized names and burgers instead of miso ramen, and that speaks poorly of this heartless and penniless adaptation we're getting, sadly.

Could it be due to just poor planning on the part of the producers in regards to the time tables?

I'm sure the scheduling is terrible. But even shows with bad scheduling and messy execution can still give the sense that the people working on the show care about what they're making, as in Rolling Girls. Ace Attorney seems the same sort of show as Garo: Crimson Moon, where from top to bottom there is practically no sign of creative life on the anime staff.

That Gravity Rush anime is going to be bad isn't it? :(

Depends who makes it and the resources they have, as always.

Wait, there's a Gravity Rush anime being made? I'm awfully out of the loop, aren't I?

It was announced at the same time as Gravity Rush 2. There's been no details given beyond the anime's existence, so it may even just be some promotional short released right before Gravity Rush 2 comes out.

Just T

It was announced at the same time as Gravity Rush 2. There's been no details given beyond the anime's existence, so it may even just be some promotional short released right before Gravity Rush 2 comes out.
There were a few new details not too long ago saying it will show the several months between GR1 and GR2.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 4

Yozora is basically if Ran and Sora did a fusion dance. She's still showing nothing interesting, so she's destined to be the least interesting of S4. Hopefully something interesting is done with S4 so that there aren't just 4 different shades of mentors. Hime is basically Mizuki 2.0, except probably evil, so eh on her. Tsubasa already shows good potential, and the not Otome is quirky, so she'll at least be funny. Koharu is winning at life off-screen. Everyone bullies Yume,from the principal that probably is looking for an excuse to expel her, to the backstage guys who keep giving her extra work (to be fair she complained an awful lot), to Hime trying to make Yume late. Such is the life of a future top idol. Hopefully Yume stops obsessing over Hime soon, at least to this extent. The Outro song feels incomplete with just two of S4, though on the bright side it's going to be hype with all four of them.

Clov

Ah, I see. Whatever it is, I hope it's handled well; I really enjoyed Gravity Rush both for its gameplay and the neat little world it had.

ibyea

Banned
Re: Zero: 1
I am a sucker for time travel stories. Too bad I had to deal with an annoying protagonist and the early stupid meta humor. Cat was best character honestly.

Twin Star Exorcists Episode 4

Hmm, animation budget isn't holding up. Still a decent episode.

We need to focus less on the jobber squad though. They only seem to exist to prop up our main heroes as badasses.

Also, the Ratchet and Clank movie is bad, and anime adaptations of games are bad.

East and West are in harmony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom