• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

I wanted an ace attorney anime for a while now....

Man... I shouldn't have wished on that monkey's paw...

to be fair, despite the quality, it is still pulling in great numbers thanks to it's slot, and still has a good chance of sparking more interest in the series.

Clov

Dear Brother 17

Miya-sama can be ridiculously intimidating. The way the windows burst open as she got up during her conversation with Misonoo was a great way of showing how angry she was without actually showing it herself. I can't wait to see how their dynamic is going to play out throughout the rest of the show.

Danball Senki - 14

ChbBJ6OWYAEpsDi.jpg:large

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

BEAUTIFUL. THIS WAS A GLORIOUS BATTLE BETWEEN TOY SUPER ROBOTS.

They freaking delivered on this fight on all fronts. From the way Kaidou Jin's THE EMPEROR acted like this freaking MONSTER with its finisher being an attack that BLEW UP HALF THE PLAYING FIELD AND SHOOK THE FREAKING TABLE to Achilles taking hits and striking back like a boss, this was everything a good super robot fight should be bar the CG animation.

And this was all basically just the qualifiers! I can only imagine how nuts the world tournament is gonna be.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Re: Zero 5

Of course he spends all of his time hitting on the elf waifu instead of TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHO FUCKING KILLS HIM.

I don't have a problem with Mayoiga being about crazy idiots talking to each other all the time, but it's not well executed. The conversations are mostly 50 people taking turning interjecting about their gimmick and the humor misses more than it hits. The bloated cast constantly gets in the way. There are a few entertaining moments per episode so I'm still watching it, but I don't think the dialogue is done particularly well.

Yeah, I can buy Jex's explanation, but even keeping that in mind I don't think it's done well. It's people shouting nonsense and accusations at each other. It's the boring kind of crazy, not the kind you want a bunch of people in a weird cult to be.

KIZNAIVER Episode 4

This series is a bit odd for a Trigger show. It doesn't feel like there are any real stakes yet, but it's enjoyable to see these idiots bouncing off each other.

Poor Nico though. Just wants friends. ;_;

Re:Zero 05

Any normal human being would have been crushed after experiencing what Subaru did in the beginning of this episode.
Having to unwillingly repeat another day AGAIN, due to some unexpected death. Which is to say, if he didn't have this ability, he totally would have died without knowing who did it.
Feelsbad man... Even worse is the fact that
it's gonna happen again. The ending was actually hard to watch, his agony was quite palpable, they totally nailed it there.

Macross Δ 5

hngh

Pretty amused when this showed up when I was watching, since I just reached the first episode where Milla makes an appearance in SDF. I probably should've expected stuff like this to be spoiled in Delta, but didn't think it would be so obvious.

ibyea

Banned
Re: Zero: 2-4
Got to admit, episode 2-3 were really fun. But after episode 4 I don't know if I will be able to withstand all the stupidity from the protagonist and even more obnoxiously cliched characters introduced. Furthermore this scenario is far less interesting so far. That said cliffhanger peeked my interest again. Like I said, I am a sucker for time travel stories.

One thing that really bothers me btw. No one is questioning Subaru how he even knew about Puck in that time when he yelled about the attack.

Narag

Pretty amused when this showed up when I was watching, since I just reached the first episode where Milla makes an appearance in SDF. I probably should've expected stuff like this to be spoiled in Delta, but didn't think it would be so obvious.

It's about as much of a spoiler as Vader being Luke's father at this point as Max & Millia are somewhat synonymous between SDF, DYRL, and 7.

Danball Senki - 15

Yo this guy's backstory. Suddenly he's the most interesting character in this show.

The fact that Kaidou went to each of the victim's families after that incident is really, really suspicious. I won't be surprised if it turns out that he's the one who straight up orchestrated the whole thing. I mean, he tried to have the freaking prime minister assassinated.

Other than that, we now have the heroes big secret good organization to counteract the evil one and a rescue mission is now in order to save Ban's dad.

Man, it's amazing how this show has switched from Gundam Build Fighters to freaking Metal Gear Solid shenanigans on the fly without things feeling awkward.

sonicmj1

It's just that other than the characters talking and doing some stupid stuff, not much happened. Most of the people expect over the top deaths like Another or Blood-C, but it's far from that so far. Just over the top terrible personalities, and there's a bunch of them. Some like this, others don't.

Blood-C didn't have any good over-the-top deaths until six episodes in.

While not every character is pulling their weight (I'm looking at you, Dozaemon), I'm enjoying Mayoiga's insane pressure cooker thus far. Nothing too over-the-top has happened yet, but the gradual escalation of bizarre circumstances continues to drive the cast further and further off-kilter. I love the stupid drama.

Samurai Champloo 8

Does every episode have to start with the main trio bewailing their empty stomachs? It's a wonder they're still alive given how they're always barely scraping together enough money to get a meal. Watanabe sure loves his perpetually destitute drifters.

While the episodic story was fine, with some amusing antics and anachronistic beatboxing, the most interesting thing in this episode was the biggest hint yet we've gotten about Jin's backstory. I'm looking forward to when the whole thing will (hopefully) be revealed, because it sounds like there's a good story there.

Syrinx

Flying Witch 2-4

Wherever this show goes, it'll be on the backs of side channel like Akane and Inukai, since I don't think the core characters are enough to carry it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Brotha wants his date man. He was pumped for that thing..

It makes me laugh someone tried to sell this as "oh its not like every other 'trapped in another world harem comedy'" except it totally is. Even the parts where he dies don't have any weight because there's so many other series that do the same thing better.

Seriously: his fucking plan to stay alive on the night he knows he's murdered is to sit in the fucking corner and try to stay awake, and he can't even fucking do it.

I mean, they can't all be KonoSuba but still.

I don't understand what you mean by this because he is quite clearly taking initiative in trying to figure out how he died and trying to influence the situation. If you can't see this then you aren't even remotely paying attention. I mean what you want him to tell everyone about his insane power which wouldn't actually change anything and one his barely understands?

I think you are forgetting he is average dude in a fantasy world.

All he did to try and solve the mystery of his own death was to sit in the corner and think about his waifu

Macross 7 - 9

Show is pretty formulaic at this point but it's a good way to unwind since it's pretty easygoing. I think it's great how Basara just wants to sing all the time. I was cracking up in that one episode where he got into a fight with those groupies for the other bands and was just singing and dodging punches. Fun show.

I will say that I am sick of Planet Dance at this point. I've heard it a million times and I know there's still more to come. please send help

Boku no Hero Academia - 05: What the heck young man
Repeato afta me!

The compliment from the girl that matters most.

Although Midoriya makes this stupid sheet eating grin afterwards. what a jerk
YVdgBuM.png

oh hey, Uraka's got the same seiyuu as Haru Bestonodera and Incest-chan from WIXOSS. I like her already!

Jintor

apropos of nothing, anyone got any examples of anime imitating a different format like a documentary, mockumentary etc? Off the top if my head I can only really think of that first Idolmaster episode, maybe that first Haruhi episode (or ep 0) and maaaaaybe some dumb handheld cam corder episode of Love Live.

Oh and the episode of Bebop where they find the VHS, but I kinda didn't want to count those cos they're not the whole episode.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
apropos of nothing, anyone got any examples of anime imitating a different format like a documentary, mockumentary etc? Off the top if my head I can only really think of that first Idolmaster episode, maybe that first Haruhi episode (or ep 0) and maaaaaybe some dumb handheld cam corder episode of Love Live.

Oh and the episode of Bebop where they find the VHS, but I kinda didn't want to count those cos they're not the whole episode.

First Squad?
There's an actual documentary during the scene where the protagonist fight undead nazi.

TUSR

Banned

first episode of The iDOLM@STER?

Ascheroth

I don't understand what you mean by this because he is quite clearly taking initiative in trying to figure out how he died and trying to influence the situation. If you can't see this then you aren't even remotely paying attention. I mean what you want him to tell everyone about his insane power which wouldn't actually change anything and one his barely understands?

I think you are forgetting he is average dude in a fantasy world.

Exactly. He was working under the assumption of "If I do things differently too much, the loop could play out differently."
He's actively trying to reach the point of his death again, so that he can actually know what happens to him this time, and probably (naively) hopes that being awake at the time is enough.
His priority this time wasn't to investigate (because he really didn't have anything to go by), but more figuring out what the hell even happened. If he's still not doing anything next episode, then yeah, but I don't see how he can be faulted this time.

Nisekoi S2 - 11
onodera fat shaming episode
VDnxhza.png

This series is only good when Marika and Haru are in it.

You can't lose weight by swimming, this is the first rool of the pool!

love isn’t something we invented - it’s observable, powerful. It can even make failing students pass exams!

In this Onodera-focused episode, we first see her deal with her image insecurities. Despite apparently being one of the skinnier girls in the group, the scale says otherwise. Onodera forces herself to reject eating; food is apparently the one thing Onodera loves almost as much as Ichijo. Later we find out that she didn't gain weight after all and was using a broken scale (which we find out at Haru's expense, pshhh)

TlMqOOf.png

We're then treated to a flashback of Onodera's past, where apparently her only defining feature was also her love of food, Ichijo, and her tendency to fail at everything she loves. Ichijo goes on to humor and comfort her, and she has the first opportunity to confess to Ichijo but fails. Ichijo takes the initiative but is interrupted by plot circumstances. The cycle repeats ad infinitum (or at least for the next three years)

In one episode, we are treated to the entire spectrum of Onodera's character. I really liked her in the beginning, but she never really ever progresses past the point she was at as a middle schooler. The series tries to tell us that she starts taking more initiative now, especially with competition, but this episode shows us she was all about taking initiative in the first place.

I can see why Haru wants to protect her so bad, she just sucks at life

FLAG is the only thing that comes to mind.

Ascheroth

What shorts?

There are already three ~2 minute shorts that do some more worldbuilding and stuff.
I don't think they are officially subbed anywhere, but considering the originals are uploaded for free on the official youtube...
ANN also does summaries of them.

Please don't apply logic to Nisekoi.

(I hope there is more and the manga ends soon.)

The manga's prolly ending within the next few issues, which is part of why I'm finally getting around to finishing the second season. The next season would introduce a few more random characters; if it was 1 cour it's going to be the same kind of filler as S2, unless they literally cut EVERYTHING. If they do 2 cour we could probably go all the way to completion. This winding down part of Nisekoi really sucks though. The filler gets pretty fun, and it becomes a little jarring when the plot comes back.

Nisekoi S2 - 12 END
Chitoge's power comes from her red ribbon. Just like another gorilla we all love:
abilities_01_donkey_kong.png

A beloved friend and trusted companion passes away in this episode. Didn't expect THAT did ya?

EXCEPT it wasn't! Duh. I expected too much out of this!

Chitoge only loves the idea of Ichijo. Just like Onodera, honestly. Actually, to literally all the girls except Haru, the biggest reason the girls like him is because of his meaning to them. They all represent something they overcame or grew from in the past, and fell in love because of assumed causality.

Shaft did good in picking their seiyuus for this. Nao Toyama is really good with her range of expressions, and Hanakana gets just the right balance of lightness in her voice to well balance Nao Toyama's forward portrayal.

In a righteous world, this show would have more Haru -- she deserves to win. Actually in what would be next season she DOES win a competition! lol! It's kind of funny, because everything in this season pointed to it ultimately having Haru as the main character. She's like the normal girl in the World God Only Knows in that she kept Raku grounded.

TPXHRKP.png

Now I wonder if its worth it to go back to that show

DiGiKerot

There was that one episode of Sengoku Collection in which fake Micheal Moore makes a documentary about the dangers of gender-bent Sengoku generals from a parallel universe in modern Japan.

There was that one episode of Sengoku Collection in which fake Micheal Moore makes a documentary about the dangers of gender-bent Sengoku generals from a parallel universe in modern Japan.
I don't remember this episode but considering the way that show was I'm not entirely sure that didn't happen.

DiGiKerot

i'm not sure how serious you are

100%. It was episode 5, I think.

Sengoku Collection was a surprisingly weird show.

-edit-
I should probably mention that each episode of Sengoku Collection is roughly inspired by a different movie. There's a lot of low-hanging fruit like Roman Holiday or Back to the Future, but it throws a few weird curveballs like Korean martial-arts movie Volcano High, Jan Svankmajers version of Alice in Wonderland and, yes, Bowling for Columbine. There's a lot of episodes of that show that are actually kind of interesting.

Thoraxes

Kiznaiver - 04

Anyone else on #TeamChidori with m-me?

Anyone? Kanna bros, we have to unite our powers!

They really didn't need to spell out Sonozaki's reasoning, but they did it anyways. I wonder if her having the mark back then will mean anything for the present.

I ship Tenga and Chidori after this episode.

pbayne

Kare Kano 1

Holy shit, that last thing i expected to hear was the song from Asuka fight in End of Eva (Suite no3 in D Major).
Really strong start. Its funny to see a heroine be so self-centered and great visuals all-around, especially cuts to pages from the manga.

Fruits Basket 1

Haha i love the gimmick of the guys turning into animals already. Compared to Kare Kano, it looks like the main couple(or love triangle) is intially slightly less interesting but it makes up for it by having a really fun selection of side characters.

A big take away for me from these two shows, with how strongly they're directed and both stamp down a unique identity almost immediately, is that a lot of modern shoujo romances, which i still like, really are complacent in comparison and reluctant to break out of conventions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom