• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kare Kano 1

Holy shit, that last thing i expected to hear was the song from Asuka fight in End of Eva (Suite no3 in D Major).
Really strong start. Its funny to see a heroine be so self-centered and great visuals all-around, especially cuts to pages from the manga.

Dennou Coil and Kare Kano?

nQZNfWR.gif

Most excellent choices.

Kiznaiver - 04

Anyone else on #TeamChidori with m-me?

Anyone? Kanna bros, we have to unite our powers!

They really didn't need to spell out Sonozaki's reasoning, but they did it anyways. I wonder if her having the mark back then will mean anything for the present.

I ship Tenga and Chidori after this episode.

I'm always team Chidori

Sasuke-Chidori.gif~c200

100%. It was episode 5, I think.

Sengoku Collection was a surprisingly weird show.

-edit-
I should probably mention that each episode of Sengoku Collection is roughly inspired by a different movie. There's a lot of low-hanging fruit like Roman Holiday or Back to the Future, but it throws a few weird curveballs like Korean martial-arts movie Volcano High, Jan Svankmajers version of Alice in Wonderland and, yes, Bowling for Columbine. There's a lot of episodes of that show that are actually kind of interesting.

Yes! Sengoku Collection was a really weird and sometimes brilliant show, with incredible Studio Pablo backgrounds. It deserves attention.

Cornbread78

I'm always team Chidori

Kiznaiver - 04

They really didn't need to spell out Sonozaki's reasoning, but they did it anyways. I wonder if her having the mark back then will mean anything for the present.

She's the childhood friend. Why bother fighting a losing battle?. We all know how this one will end. I'm down for Chidori x Tenga....

Kiznaiver - 04

Yeah I like Chidori actually. Her VA has given some great line reads, like the "kikoenai" when Katsuhira is mumbling about Sonozaki in the kitchen.

Theonik

If Kurtz had died long ago and a robot had been using his corpse as a mouthpiece to retain control.

I did like the symbolism of the empty suit representing the empty ideals Ledo had believed in.
One could argue that Kurtz was 'dead' in the sense that, the person he was is gone and replaced by the Kurtz we meet in the film. Gargantia plays with a similar theme but plays it in a much more literal sense.

It kinda makes sense in that they clearly wanted to focus to be more about Ledo confronting his old ideals

just like the game
Fight me.

Cornbread78

Szadek

Your Lie in April - Ep. 6-10
For some reason I never gave the anime the time it deserves.
Anyway, if it wasn't clear before the main theme of the series is how music affect other people.
The 2 rivals were excellent expamle of how Kousei affected them. It's also implied that one of the girls in the audience is going to be the next Emi Igawa.
My favorite part of these episodes was Kousei's development during his performance.
Not to mention that the sound and visuals are still amazing.

pbayne

Psycho-Pass The Movie

Before i start here's my stance on Urobuchi and why im happy he's back on this. I see him as the anime equivalent of Christopher Nolan. He makes generally broadly appealing shows for a wide-audience based around some high-concepts. I appreciate that he always tires to put some degree of depth into his shows, (and okay he's a bit heavy handed at times), without sacrificing a show's entertainment value.

Now i really like season one of Pyscho-Pass and i don't need to mention how much of an unmitigated shit-show season 2 was without Urobuchi. My main problem(there are a lot more) with Pyscho-Pass season 2 is as good a concept as the Sybil system is, it gets really tiresome seeing every plot point be centered around it and they had no imagination in how to put a fresh spin on it. So lets see how the movie did.

-Fresh Spin-Setting the movie in a new country with its own version of the sybil system was a great idea. While the original series the sybil system was used to portray a repressed, slightly communistic society that violently stamped out individualism, here its more about segregation and a dictatorship ruled by fear and violence. Tbh it didn't explore these concepts in too much detail, but I appreciated that they were there. And it provided a fresh perspective on a formula that was getting increasingly stale.

-Characters-I like that it almost completely disregards season 2 and Akane is not quite as "perfect" as she was then. Though i don't like that she become timid and passive in front of Kougami, that feels like a regression for her character. And Shimotsuki has even changed from the most unrealistic antagonist ever, to kind of tolerable. The only downsides are, holy shit Kougami is like Jesus in this. Plus, The movie characters are...immensely one-dimensional. So much so that they have to resort to bringing up Makishima, just to remind the audience what an actually compelling antagonist looks like.

-Action staging-Ill be honest its a bit ropey. There are some cool hand-to-hand fight scenes but the choreography is all over the place and at times it feels very weightless and floaty.

-In conclusion-The first 50 minutes is all good set-up, mix of interesting ideas and set-up. The second half, devolves into action scholk a bit too much for my liking and ive always thought the gore of what the dominators can do is completely pointless(it makes sense as an intimidation factor, but that's it. It feels like gore for the sake of having it), but i still enjoyed it. The twist in the end was pretty good and added an interesting side to the sybil system and the series ongoing theme of how the law and the individual intersect.

Overall a good return to form. Not unmissable by any means but a decent action flick with some good concepts.

pbayne

Flying Witch 4

Why does the best witch have to be a dog for the most part of the episode...

Im actually annoyed they showed her human face so early. Should have cut right after everyones reaction and left it at that. Should have built that shit up.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Boku no Hero academia 5
Yeah, that was good. Bakugo still a shitty person. Need more Tsuyu

Flying witch 4

Mofu witch best witch. Still calming as ever. It's good SoL that can be safely recommended to everyone. No ecchi scene or anything.

Andrew J.

So on top of having a continuity error with Powers walking to the stand after he was already shown there in the shot right before that and the weirdness that was the news broadcast that had Phoenix dress up and teleport to his office with Maya in there in time for the end of the broadcast on Powers' arrest, this week's episode also had this. The awful budget this show got is pretty apparent, sadly.

What? News networks cycle through the same stories every 30 minutes or so. It was just a neat transition.

Branduil

Geimu of スローンズ: Hyouketsu no Baddopushi

The best Mari Okada anime of the season not actually a Mari Okada anime.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Haven't been posting about it in here, but I've been watching the first run of Psycho-Pass lately and I'm finally compelled to talk about it...because I'm genuinely impressed at how it is addressing just about every problem I had with it. Early on I was struggling through because it just seemed like sort of a lesser GitS-like, but all of the moral and ethical questions I had about its premise are suddenly being thrust to the forefront of the plot in a way that not only seems appropriate but almost...that that might have been the plan all along?

ibyea

Banned
Haven't been posting about it in here, but I've been watching the first run of Psycho-Pass lately and I'm finally compelled to talk about it...because I'm genuinely impressed at how it is addressing just about every problem I had with it. Early on I was struggling through because it just seemed like sort of a lesser GitS-like, but all of the moral and ethical questions I had about its premise are suddenly being thrust to the forefront of the plot in a way that not only seems appropriate but almost...that that might have been the plan all along?

Yeah it's pretty great. Just don't watch season 2.

Aki-at

School Rumble - 26

This episode was one
big dream or a manga written by Harima or mind swaps or all three combined
, I don't even know anymore I know I've been trolled multiple times by one episode. That ending too, absolutely brilliant.

Great first season, definitely becomes more enjoyable as you stick with it, now to start on season 2. If I would have one compliant... It's I wish there was more Harima in some episodes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom