• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Eden of the East ep10-END
ICrCUg0.gif

I’m really torn about the closing of this anime. Was there a second season planned for this, or did he
Win the game, which is why Juiz went blank on the phone?
It’s pretty ambiguous to end the series as-is and makes you wonder if there should have been an episode 12 to explain things further or did they just run out of time/money with the original series to give them a proper ending? Also, another anime with a “romance” tag where it shouldn’t apply. They did have a primary relationship, but it was not the focus at all and went pretty undeveloped; I'm really up in the air on this part of the show actually... Oh well, I enjoyed the series for what it was, but they did a poor job explaining everything in the end and really bringing the series to a close. That is, unless since he decided to
become the “prince” he won since he became the ruler and the game ended

Funny part:

Ndh5iRb.jpg
QDWQY3V.jpg

ibyea

Banned
ICrCUg0.gif

I’m really torn about the closing of this anime. Was there a second season planned for this, or did he
It’s pretty ambiguous to end the series as-is and makes you wonder if there should have been an episode 12 to explain things further or did they just run out of time/money with the original series to give them a proper ending? Also, another anime with a “romance” tag where it shouldn’t apply. They did have a primary relationship, but it was not the focus at all and went pretty undeveloped; I'm really up in the air on this part of the show actually... Oh well, I enjoyed the series for what it was, but they did a poor job explaining everything in the end and really bringing the series to a close. That is, unless since he decided to

Don't forget to watch the movies.

School Rumble - 26

This episode was one
big dream or a manga written by Harima or mind swaps or all three combined
, I don't even know anymore I know I've been trolled multiple times by one episode. That ending too, absolutely brilliant.

Great first season, definitely becomes more enjoyable as you stick with it, now to start on season 2. If I would have one compliant... It's I wish there was more Harima in some episodes!

Episode 2 and 3 of season 2 are among the greatest achievements of humankind.

Enjoy.

RedSwirl

Man. There are like maybe half a dozen characters in this universe so far who aren't complete fucking idiots, and no one listens to any of them. One is already dead because of all this bullshit. It's nice to have a story this thick in an anime, but what is it trying to criticize?

The Free Planets Alliance is obviously modeled after modern dysfunctional democracies but has ended up being a somewhat prophetical critique of Bush-era America's worst political aspects dialed up to 11. Maybe it was a response to Vietnam. The Empire side's critique of aristocracy seems less relevant to current times, but maybe it means something different from the Japanese perspective.

Bakuon Ep 5

Does your show have a sentient fox loving Holy Grail that is also an original Suzuki bikers chalice? I didn't think so. I loved the way everyone decided to film Saruyama on their phones while she rode her bike to her 'doom' but I hope her turn as
drunken predator
doesn't become a running gag.

kewlmyc

ICrCUg0.gif

Funny part:

Ndh5iRb.jpg
QDWQY3V.jpg

There are two movies that are the actual ending of the series.

Joker Game 4

I appreciate the polish of the production - there's a lot of effort being put into the animation and the art tries to create the appropriate period setting. Unfortunately, this episode is a failure on multiple levels. It fails as a mystery, because we aren't given enough information before the solution is spelled out, it fails as a character drama, because we get no real sense of the culprit before he becomes a cackling mess, it fails as an exploration of salient themes in the World War II setting, since Shanghai isn't given enough character, and it fails as a study of espionage, since the spywork is alternatively invisible and painfully obvious. Part of this is no doubt due to time constraints, but the main failure here is how the script prefers to rely on exposition instead of organic storytelling arising from actions and emotions. I'm not sure how much of this is the flaws of the source material and how much is due to the adaptation, but at any rate it's just not satisfying. Episode 3 was a semi-decent thriller, but if I can't even expect that there's nothing here for me.

pbayne

Dennou Coil 7-8

Even though there are little hints dropped for bigger plot points, i find the kids just doing wacky slice of life type shenanigans and solving cases entertaining enough as it is. Im all about that FumiexDaichi now too.

Oh shit, next episode its time to D-D-D-D-D-DUELLLL.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For what its worth, I like the fact that the Mayoiga characters are so intensely Anime.

The show is already basically just Lost in anime format, but at least the anime format gives you the ability to just establish some of the characters as fucking crazy. If all the characters acted rationally the show would just literally be an animated ripoff of Lost. It's not like the drama is any worse than Lost was to begin with.

phaze

Kiznaiver - 04

Anyone else on #TeamChidori with m-me?

Anyone? Kanna bros, we have to unite our powers!

I'll share the pain of her inevitable loss with you.
I ship Tenga and Chidori after this episode.

Oh wait never mind.

Amagami SS 05-06

Another surprisingly passable arc. While a bit on the dull side of things, the low stakes and little drama, the slight temperance of the amount of the stupid that transpires on the screen and not having to set up a bunch of girls falling for one of the more bland mcs ever is doing this show some good.

Sankarea 07

" I, the quintessential childhood friend, will not let this walking corpse beat me in the battle for Chihiro's affections. Who happens to be super-into zombie girls. And also my cousin. Whom I like because of reasons." I don't think I've seen a childhood friend as dead on arrival as here yet.

And I swear, her conversation with her mother and the behavior of her father is probably some hint that they're not cousins but a brother and sister.

Aki-at

Episode 2 and 3 of season 2 are among the greatest achievements of humankind.

Enjoy.

Jeez you weren't kidding, I got interested and binged it, so that's where the gif of the heavily defined guys giving thumbs up comes from.

School Rumble S2 - 2 and 3

Brilliant couple of episodes, I couldn't help but laugh through out as over dramatic death after death kept coming, plot twists after plot twists and then the final bit with the butler and the kid he saved. What a great show.

Almost makes me forget I cracked my phone's screen ;_;

So, even though I do occasionally post in the thread, I have been out of the anime loop for a while. I think the last series I finished was Yuri Kuma Arashi, Shingeki no Bahamut, and Shounen Hollywood early last year.

Since college is essentially over for me, I actually have time to watch stuff now. What's come out that's good, or at least interesting since then? All I've heard about is Erased btw.

Cornbread78

Hundred ep.5
Yes, within 30 seconds we got some nice garbage time with drill hair showing her boobs to Hyato as well as a nice face full of muff for him via the VP. All in a good days work of trash... The rest of the episode was straight SoL/backstory time with Sakura, well, until that ending at least... Next weeks opening line will be "Hundred ON!"

So, even though I do occasionally post in the thread, I have been out of the anime loop for a while. I think the last series I finished was Yuri Kuma Arashi, Shingeki no Bahamut, and Shounen Hollywood early last year.

Since college is essentially over for me, I actually have time to watch stuff now. What's come out that's good, or at least interesting since then? All I've heard about is Erased btw.

What kind of anime (genre) are you interested in? There has been a ton in the past couple years, so...

Exalted

Hundred episode 5

In this episode the MC was on 2 different dates with both the childhood friend and the Diva, and even had the time to manage to arrange a third date with the blond drill president.

phaze

Erased turned bad after a while.

Rakugo and Haikyuu was where it was last season.

Last year generally sucked so there is not much you missed: Owari, Haikyuu S2, Hackadoll, Somera-chan, Sound Euphonium maybe Subete ga F ni Naru would be shows worth checking out if they tickle your fancy. And if your fancy is well animated action then One Punch Man and FS/N: UBW.

Joe Molotov

Who is the Locke of Mayoiga though?

Locke - Lion
Claire - Misaki
Sawyer - Jack
Jack - Valkana
Charlie - Mitsumune
Charlie's brother - Speedstar
Shannon - Maimai
Boone - Icebound Judgeness
Ben - Dahara
Juilet - Koharun
The Smoke Monster - Lovepon
Dozaemon - Hurley
Ana Lucia - Nyanta
The Pilot - Yottsun
Paulo & Nikki - Manbe & Pii-tan

Jex

Locke - Lion
Claire - Misaki
Sawyer - Jack
Jack - Valkana
Charlie - Mitsumune
Shannon - Maimai
Boone - Icebound Judgeness
Ben - Dahara
Juilet - Koharun
The Smoke Monster - Lovepon
Dozaemon - Hurley
Ana Lucia - Nyanta
The Pilot - Yottsun
Paulo & Nikki - Manbe & Pii-tan
Surely the Smoke Monster equivalent is just the Smoke Monster in Mayoiga!

pbayne

Kare Kano 2-3

Holy god, that chase scene was so funny. And Yukino's family, their reaction to seeing Arima lol. Didn't expect the series to hit the big emotional parts with Arima's family and all so soon.

Concrete Revolutio
Diary of Ochibi
Garo the Animation
Haikyuu S2
Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Kagewani
Koufuku Graffiti
Kuromukuro
Majin Bone
Miss Hokusai
She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-
Show by Rock
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Sore ga Seiyuu
Sound Euphonium
Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celesial Ark
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
When Marnie Was There
Working!!!

That's what I would recommend for now.

Negator

Danball Senki - 17

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THIS CHILDREN'S TOY ROBOT SHOW?!?

I left off on that exact same episode last night. Half of what I've seen just baffles me. Can you imagine a modern American cartoon where some kids are tasked with
saving the President from an assassination with their robot toys
?

Hundred ep.5

What kind of anime (genre) are you interested in? There has been a ton in the past couple years, so...

Anything really, I guess would like something that's not merely "good", but different and ambitious. Sort of like From the New World. I don't mind stuff that's bad, but still manages to be interesting and entertaining, like WIXOSS.

Erased turned bad after a while.

Rakugo and Haikyuu was where it was last season.

Last year generally sucked so there is not much you missed: Owari, Haikyuu S2, Hackadoll, Somera-chan, Sound Euphonium maybe Subete ga F ni Naru would be shows worth checking out if they tickle your fancy. And if your fancy is well animated action than One Punch Man and FS/N: UBW.

I dropped both of these, lol.

I left off on that exact same episode last night. Half of what I've seen just baffles me. Can you imagine an American cartoon in 2016 where some kids are tasked with
saving the President from an assassination
?

No I cannot. Especially considering the fact that this show has an English dub where almost half the episodes were cut!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Season III Episode 5:

I once again am amused that the mangaka was surprised that the original TV series took the direction they did with Uranus and Neptune when she established the tempo in the first place. Though there are perhaps more mixed messages going on here as in one scene we have the duo flat out attacking The Inners with little provocation and in another they are saving them from the Diamon hordes for reasons. Also, witness Sailor Moon be so ahead of the progressive curve it is downright staggering as Hakura demonstrates her fluid gender dynamics.

Cornbread78

Anything really, I guess would like something that's not merely "good", but different and ambitious. Sort of like From the New World. I don't mind stuff that's bad, but still manages to be interesting and entertaining, like WIXOSS.

I dropped both of these, lol.

Sword Art Online
Etotama
Konosuba
Plastic Memories
Charlotte
Gate
Heavy Object
Barakamon
Soma; Food Wars
Danmachi; Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon
Cross Ange

Here is a good place to start and keep you entertained. There's a bunch more, but I'll have to look them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom