• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Sankarea 08

zzzz The outcome to the kidnapping attempt of Sanka was apparent from the very beginning.

Sankarea 09
016071v3usr.jpg
0160795xu0e.jpg
016076u3uo6.jpg

There was some pretty captivating storyboarding at work here, so much so that it made actually check up on the guy behind it and what do you know, he was also the guy who did easily my favourite episode so far, the 2nd.

Not much to say about the story, this episode being a bit of an off kilter change from the normal train of events in general, since it was focused on Mero and at same time a weird, non-chronological pause from the plot heavy events of the previous episode. The two "zombie" tales were nothing to write home about but the last part of this episode, with its mother angle, gave it more heart then I'm used to seeing in this show as of late.

Cornbread78

Question on Eupho for ya’ll:

Do people out there really only like it because of the yuri possibilities/ yuri shipping? Are people really interested in the story it presents as a HS band fighting for the chance to go to nationals? Is it really just the yuri madness that really drew people to the show....?

The show is beautiful, but.......

k6J5mrU.gif

Is this all it is?

Also, I need to choose 1 from the "A" list and 1 from the "B" Which would you choose?

A List:
Claymore
Guilty Crown

B List:
High School DxD
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
Maburaho
Negima!?
Seikon no Qwaser

Do people out there really only like it because of the yuri possibilities/ yuri shipping? Are people really interested in the story it presents as a HS band fighting for the chance to go to nationals, or is it just the yuri madness that really drew people to the show? The show is beautiful, but.......

k6J5mrU.gif

yCcCVEE.gif

Is this all it is?

Haven't watched the show, but I'm pretty sure people have stated that there's a lot more to the show than just the yuri stuff.

Russ T

Banned
As someone who was in high school band...

Fuck yuri I ain't give a shit bout that it's worthless.

Also didn't this thread agree that there was no yuri to the show?

Cornbread78

As someone who was in high school band...

Fuck yuri I ain't give a shit bout that it's worthless.

Also didn't this thread agree that there was no yuri to the show?

There was no, zero, nada, keine yuri in euphonium.

I'm not saying I don't disagree with you guys, but just checking the current situation a few season's later.

This place was a yuri debate center while it was airing....

Qurupeke

Do people out there really only like it because of the yuri possibilities/ yuri shipping? Are people really interested in the story it presents as a HS band fighting for the chance to go to nationals? Is it really just the yuri madness that really drew people to the show....?

Is this all it is?

Well, as you said, the show is beautiful and this is enough of a reason to like the show. Especially the instruments, they look amazing. Other than that though, I just really love the characters. Good designs, personalities and I like how they interact on the band. Generally, everything about the show is really well polished, and despite the "in-club drama", the show and the characters never get intolerable.

Also, I need to choose 1 from the "A" list and 1 from the "B" Which would you choose?

A List:
Claymore
Guilty Crown

B List:
High School DxD
Maburaho
Negima!?
Seikon no Qwaser

A) I'd go for Claymore, I'm 20/24 in and I've loved the show thus far for how well it treats it's characters and for feeling more believable as a setting than many I've come across.
B) Harder choice here, I'd probably go for Kanojo because I loved how that the show kept building upon it's absurd premise all the way to a truly ludicrous end

blurr

Well written characters with neat direction and narrative, visually the show speaks for itself.

pbayne

Smh at all this Reina and Kumiko talk. Does everyone forget the shows actual couple that start dating and everything?

VlTETtT.jpg

Cornbread78

Smh at all this Reina and Kumiko talk. Does everyone forget the shows actual couple that start dating and everything?

They don't exist anymore. Well, after Ore Monogatari and Shirayuki at least..

Well written characters with neat direction and narrative, visually the show speaks for itself.

Okay you got me with this one :')
Corn, show is legitimately good. Not quite at the same level as Hyouka in my opinion, but it comes second.

I've watched it, I just find it funny that whenever the show comes up "yuri, yuri, yuri" is the only thing that comes to mind. I watched it after everyone else, but it's just an honest question about everyone else's motivations/impressions from the show. My deduction is that they was no yuri at all, but yeah, a lot of yuri baiting to tease the audience....

It was a decent enough drama for me, but the band aspect fell really flat on me since I was always on the jock side of things and didn't have much interest in the band outside of thanking them for playing at our games....

A) I'd go for Claymore, I'm 20/24 in and I've loved the show thus far for how well it treats it's characters and for feeling more believable as a setting than many I've come across.
B) Harder choice here, I'd probably go for Kanojo because I loved how that the show kept building upon it's absurd premise all the way to a truly ludicrous end

Claymore has been on my list forever now and I just saw it again.... It might just be time. The other list is just random fun stuff to watch for pure entertainment.

Day one after the latest Hundred

I start to wonder if I'm not really woof, but a childhood friend who he met once and told me I have a nice voice when we were like 6 so I based my whole career on that compliment.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Is this all it is?

A List:
Claymore
Guilty Crown

B List:
High School DxD
Maburaho
Negima!?
Seikon no Qwaser

Are people really interested in the story it presents as a HS band fighting for the chance to go to nationals? -> yes. Not to mention it's a well produced show. The amount of detail that goes into the band instrument was top level. Main cast characterization are great. Great soundtrack. Yeah, it's a great show.

Macross Delta 2

Ah, the good old hidden audition test. That was beautifully cheesy

pbayne

Dennou Coil 9-11

Smug Fumie is best Fumie. And creepily optimistic Daichi obsessing over his fish is best Daichi.

All these questions are building up? That wasn't Haraken in the past with Yasako(at least it seems to lead you away from thinking that)? So is it Isako's brother? And what exactly happened to him, did he get trapped on the other side? Where does Kanna fit in? And who's the creepy stalker guy with the camera?

Dennou Coil 9-11

Smug Fumie is best Fumie. And creepily optimistic Daichi obsessing over his fish is best Daichi.

All these questions are building up? That wasn't Haraken in the past with Yasako(at least it seems to lead you away from thinking that)? So is it Isako's brother? And what exactly happened to him, did he get trapped on the other side? Where does Kanna fit in? And who's the creepy stalker guy with the camera?

Next episode (I think) will be a bit of a one-off (simpson did that one first!).

Second half will be less episodic and you'll get answers.

phaze

Sankarea 10

A surprisingly effective backstory for the
stepmother
and the (f*cked up) Sanka family at large though undercut a bit by the ecchi and her losing it at the very end.

Aki-at

The show is very fun in small doses. There is a very loose central plot, but the episodic nature of the show is fun as you can pick up and watch it whenever for the laughs. There really isn't much "romance" either. It's more of a comedy about a relationship and all the craziness around it.

Good to know, just a little twitchy after School Rumble's conclusion.

jonjonaug

Dennou Coil 9-11

Dennou Coil works like a lot of 26 episode anime worked back in the late 90s and early 00s, with an episodic "X of the week" first half and a more continuous story with a strong central plot in the second half. I miss that sort of format, you don't see it much anymore because everything is one cour or an adaptation or both.

Cornbread78

Date a Live ep.9:
T7KAuu3.png

Way to notch up the violence again there. This new spirit is a real piece of work for sure.. And the sister... WHAT???? Now that was an interesting twist right there...

Good to know, just a little twitchy after School Rumble's conclusion.

I have 6 episodes left to watch, so I should be done by the end of next week. The show is both insane and insanely hilarious though..

pbayne

Next episode (I think) will be a bit of a one-off (simpson did that one first!).

Second half will be less episodic and you'll get answers.

Dennou Coil works like a lot of 26 episode anime worked back in the late 90s and early 00s, with an episodic "X of the week" first half and a more continuous story with a strong central plot in the second half. I miss that sort of format, you don't see it much anymore because everything is one cour or an adaptation or both.

Those descriptions instantly make me think of Steins;Gate, where the first half essentially was all set-up for the parade of pay-offs in the second half.
That said I really, really have enjoyed the slice-of-life aspect of it so far and it does a great job of foreshadowing parts that i assume are gonna happen soon.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hundred would be a lot better if Emilie was actually a guy.

Those descriptions instantly make me think of Steins;Gate, where the first half essentially was all set-up for the parade of pay-offs in the second half.
That said I really, really have enjoyed the slice-of-life aspect of it so far and it does a great job of foreshadowing parts that i assume are gonna happen soon.

Yep. The first half does actually succeed in setting everything up quite well and even in the first episode it's apparent that there's a lot to the setting.

When the story got more focused during the second part I was excited but afraid it may fail to deliver as so many other anime with some medium or even major mystery element. Not the case here, thankfully.

Exalted

A List:
Claymore
Guilty Crown

B List:
High School DxD
Maburaho
Negima!?
Seikon no Qwaser

Seikon no Qwaser , but you need to poste reviews/responses .

Cornbread78

If Her Flag Breaks ep.1
jHbiggZ.gif

Yup. there is definitely some weirdness to this one. The premise is pretty interesting and could lead to some really funny stuff, but let's see where they go with it. I'd like it to stay lighthearted and fun, so hopefully, that stays true..

Joker Game 5
This show is the disappointment of the season. I don't even think it is worth watching and I don't intend to continue doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom