• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hundred 3:

God help me I'm enjoying this, I've went full firehawk.

sbHtVKY.png

EPISODE I: Fetish Quest

The classic returns, in the tongue of our patriot forefathers. Thank you, based Funidub.

Over the course of this series, Souji Mitsuka will struggle with one of the deepest questions of the universe: what is twintail? And there will be no time wasted in getting to the good stuff. This show pulls no stops, and has no sense of "rational." But all will become clear, in time.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT ALL OF THE TWINTAILS WILL VANISH??"
In a time of stress, a man will ignore all of his other senses and desires. He must protect his ideals.

Funi did a good job with the voice actresses here. Except for one thing.
BUREIKKU RELEAAAAASE isn't as epic as in the original.

but dude,

everyone is super cute in this show

EPISODE II: Heroin!
RIP in peace Lizardgildy

"Which means that in reality, his actions would lead to a perpetual cycle of self-inflicted disappointment!"

...getting a little meta here aren't we.

Holy crap I forgot how horny Twoearle was. hahaha
Actually, I forgot about how horny everyone in this show is. Except Souji on account of twintail fetish. This is like that manga where the gay dude was the center of a harem lol!

"If you let her stay here, she'll be putting your son's virtue in jeopardy!"
"Believe me, I know. This is exactly what I fantasized about! The eyes of a girl out for my son's virginity no matter what!" lmaoooooo

"I used to be more of a boob man. But I'm coming around."

And apparently NASA is the only organization notable enough to launch an investigation into an intergalactic declaration of invasion. B R A V O N A S A

To be honest, I was originally going to be watching this ironically, but this is legit funny and a guilty pleasure. Especially with the dub! You can tell the voice actors are having a lot of fun on this.

Sölf

To be honest, I was originally going to be watching this ironically, but this is legit funny and a guilty pleasure. Especially with the dub! You can tell the voice actors are having a lot of fun on this.

Well, of course Twin Tails is great. But I am really interested if the fights in the novels are somewhat different, especially after seeing the art. Anime vs Novel

YuruYuri S1 & 2

Chinatsu's art is nightmare inducing, but the ED with only her art was hysterical. Also, being Akarin is suffering :(

Time Travel ep was by far the best, it really should have been the finale. Looking forward to watching the 3rd season next.

Cornbread78

Never watched the other but Kaze no Stigma is very mediocre. The quirkiness is that the MC is an asshole, so if you enjoy that type of comedy there might be something there.
I believe the story is unfinished because the author passed away a few years back :(

So it's got a bull$hit ending then..... uugghh.

maybe?
as for guilty crown, that may work, but make sure to do drugs of some sort towards the middle as it gets really bad in the middle and only slightly redeems itself in the end.
at least if I am recalling the right show and
guilty crown spoiler.
Towards the middle the main character like snaps and because a giant asshat just because.
if I am not recalling right perhaps I should pull out my guilty crown dvds and watch them :p

I have to watch it soon one either before or after this round of anime...

I'm probably the only one here who watched it. Don't.
Just watch Tenchi Muyo.

I have that one on my list from one of your recs previously. I'll probably watch it later since they announced those new OVAs. It'll be better to watch it all together..

Have you not watched Black Bullet

I have not. I've definitely heard of it though and actually added it to my watch list last night when I was scrolling through MAL suggestions (which are horrible btw)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm glad when you mention these unmentionable shows and I have no idea what they are. My lack of knowing just goes to prove that I am indeed the most normal one here.

Black Bullet is an example of an anime trying to be too dark and edgy.

I kind of liked the central relationship between Rentaro and Enju but you're not wrong at the same time. I remember being frustrated at the various dark and edgy elements never playing into the plot or the characters at the time and would probably be far less forgiving of that now than I was then. It just never leveraged the interesting elements of the universe for anything beyond 'awww sad', still would like to have seen if they ever got around to doing so in a second season but there are far better shows that I want that for.

Danball Senki - 38

So, after watching
a man he knew get run over by a car, it's no surprise that Ban is now traumatized now that things have been taken this far.

Also, Kaidou's not just a Cyborg, he's been fully exposed as an android now. I cannot wait to hear what that is all about.

The fight in this episode was short, but great.

Cornbread78

If Her Flag Breaks ep.3
LnDa1TT.png

(Green shirt "girl" is your tropey effeminate guy)
OK, he now has a robot girl in the harem as well as another childhood friend, which he thought was a boy before he moved away, but now she is the katana chick...... This is far too much, I can't even, lol. At least he conquered that
"man hater" flag
real easy. On to the sports festival I guess....

Sankarea ep.10-11:
3bQgk52.jpg

I skipped an episode somewhere along the way and now I'm back in order.... I think... We got a half baked, but decent ending to the whole kidnapping of Chihiro, but where is the story going?

I mean,
Chihiro did admit to Rae's father that regardless of what they do she was not going to be able to keep her body alive forever, and them asked him for 1 favor. I wonder what that favor is "when the time comes"
It's gotta be something about a burial. The show still hits a weird tone that's neither "feel good" or "despair" and it's hard to describe. I know Phaze is watching this at the same time as well. Did anyone else notice how weird the tone of this anime is?

Also, MAL keeps saying this is 12 episodes, but there is clearly 14 Are the extra two the OVA and Special?

I'm glad when you mention these unmentionable shows and I have no idea what they are. My lack of knowing just goes to prove that I am indeed the most normal one here.

Help me BGBW, you are my only hope!

I don't know what to watch anymore, everything is $hit, is thought to be $hit, or is FUBAR... I just want to be entertained and not need to take a cold shower or feel like I need to hide..

Isn't the person who is normal in a group of abnormals actually the most abnormal?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So I finished watching Your Lie in April. It was amazing. I cried like a girl during the final episode. A truly beautiful series. The art, the characterization, the music, and the overarching story was tremendous. A story that starts out happy and ends with a very bittersweet taste in your mouth. I really liked this show. Thought I wouldn't.

Kyuur

Question on Eupho for ya’ll:

Do people out there really only like it because of the yuri possibilities/ yuri shipping? Are people really interested in the story it presents as a HS band fighting for the chance to go to nationals? Is it really just the yuri madness that really drew people to the show....?

The show is beautiful, but....... Is this all it is?

Tons of people were watching before those moments for the band stuff. It's kind of like Haikyuu with more of an emphasis on character drama than technique. It doesn't completely abandon the latter, its just more in the background.

Cornbread78

Was your problem with Strike the Blood that the guy and girl aren't related? Then I suggest Kaze

Ugghh, so the main pair are related in Kaze? Ugghh.....

So I finished watching Your Lie in April. It was amazing. I cried like a girl during the final episode. A truly beautiful series. The art, the characterization, the music, and the overarching story was tremendous. A story that starts out happy and ends with a very bittersweet taste in your mouth. I really liked this show. Thought I wouldn't.

Absolutely, it is an amazing story with a really good OST as well if you ever want to sit back and melt into the music.

JulianImp

Don't watch Black Bullet.

This. It's a generic as hell edgelord show, and as far as I know it has a single season that doesn't wrap anything up. The OP also looked like it was trying to rip AOT off with that chorus at the start and end.

I'd like a full deck of Euphonium cards.

Looks nice, but is clunky as hell functionally since the "animated" characters don't help distinguish the card's value at all. Then again I don't think anybody's going to play card games with these kind of special cards.

Line_HTX

Looks nice, but is clunky as hell functionally since the "animated" characters don't help distinguish the card's value at all. Then again I don't think anybody's going to play card games with these kind of special cards.

I have a DBZ deck with way more stuff on it than here and I still was able to distinguish what card it was. The value is still the same, be it Spades or Diamonds.

Whatever helps you sleep better at night.

Go drink at a bar while watching the Barclays Premiere League, you Miku!

I have a DBZ deck with way more stuff on it than here and I still was able to distinguish what card it was. The value is still the same, be it Spades or Diamonds.

I still don't see the point of it. Couldn't you at least put the according amount of trumpets or sth in the background or so. Like, the visuals help zilch to read the value at a first glance.

phaze

Sankarea 12 END

A low key but fairly satisfying ending that gives a moment to each member of the cast and outlines the problems they will face in the future. Though I imagine that last scene would have majorly pissed me of If I didn't have access to the next episode.

But overall, this was a thoroughly middling show with flashes of brilliance here and there. Decent beginning, with episode 2 being my highlight, bad middle, a halfhearted recovery at the end. I must say that as a comedy, this was a complete dud. The number of, not laugh out loud but just mildly amusing moments is, well, not very high. Though at least the ecchi angle didn't get too out of hand. I dreaded an escalation after the first few episodes but basically, the amount of nudity remains roughly the same, maybe even decreases a bit at the very end. Andn the same vein; I take it back what I said about OP&ED not being very representative of the show, there is even enough introspection to make that ED not look out of place.

Sankarea 13

"Please buy the manga."

JulianImp

I still don't see the point of it. Couldn't you at least put the according amount of trumpets or sth in the background or so. Like, the visuals help zilch to read the value at a first glance.

That's my main issue with these kind of card designs. Playing cards are often easy to read because they the ten of spades has ten spades drawn in it, as opposed to a random frame of animation. Eupho could've even used instruments (ie: ten trumpets), and represent figures with characters who played those instruments, and that would've resulted in readable cards while still retaining series-specific charm more than random gifs.

Imagine playing blackjack with such a deck. Aces are iconic in normal decks and you could probably spot one across the table, whereas in this one you'd be "hold on, what does it say on the corner?".

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 4

Shinya Kawamo, still the master of awkward comedy. The pregnant pauses and slow fade-outs are so effective. On that note, I really like how the show transitions into its OP each episode, putting the title card up over the last moment of the pre-OP segment and then gradually fading that out as the music kicks in. It's a neat trick.

Danball Senki - 41

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT I SAW THIS COMING BUT SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

DANBALL SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENKIIIIIIIIIIII.

pbayne

This is Clannad for me. Whenever I see that gif from Episode 18 or 21... It's bad for my health.

Ive tried i think 4 times to get through Clannad and i just can't. I get to Starfish girl's arc and just completely zone out everytime. A shame because i know After Story is supposed to be amazing.

Only the mom storyline. The rest was a bit weak.

Truth.

Since it was talked about i want to vent about Overlord. I liked the series a good point but wtf was the need to have the "trapped in the game" stuff in it? It added nothing of value imo. Like the draw of having a big skeleton wizard that grows paranoid over people trying to dethrone him-that's a great premise that immediately catches your interest, fuck the tacked on MMO bullshit.

phaze

sbHtVKY.png

EPISODE I: Fetish Quest

The classic returns, in the tongue of our patriot forefathers. Thank you, based Funidub.

Over the course of this series, Souji Mitsuka will struggle with one of the deepest questions of the universe: what is twintail? And there will be no time wasted in getting to the good stuff. This show pulls no stops, and has no sense of "rational." But all will become clear, in time.
True patrician taste at display here.

"If you believe in twintails anything is possible" Words to live by.

Since this was a manga-bundled OAD, you would have had to buy the manga in order to watch it.

Wiki Overlords said:
Episode 13 was released with the anime series' 6th Blu-ray Disc and DVD volumes on November 30, 2012

Oh, I see, there was one bonus episode released with the anime BDs, and then two other OADs bundled with volumes of the manga. My mistake then.

Though if you've bought the anime discs, you've spent way more than picking up the manga would cost. This is more like extra fanservice for series fans than a manga commercial at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom