• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist ep. 5:
Dk8Kkp3.jpg

I’m still really loving the tone and presentation of this show through the first 5 episodes. Granted, this is about only 10% of what will be animated for the show, but it has been a really good mix of action and comedy with some introspection and growth along the way. I’m sure all of these new characters and relationships will be more important down the road, but I feel they are doing a good job introducing them slowly rather than just dumping them all on us at once. Grow little Rokuro, grow; he actually went out on an exorcism without being a little b!tch... Good stuff!

Ive tried i think 4 times to get through Clannad and i just can't. I get to Starfish girl's arc and just completely zone out everytime. A shame because i know After Story is supposed to be amazing.

You really should truck through it. That arc may appear useless, but it, like everything else in the first season and beginning of After Story, has a reason and place in the final story. Give it a shot, the emotional impact is amazing...

Twin Star Exorcists Episode 5 – Title: Twelve Guardians, Vermilion Bird - The Guardian Shimon
ChnuumcWwAAbRR4.jpg

Introduce a character from chp 15 and then have him not appear again, weeping. Shimon is incredibly cool. He reminds me of Sekito from HeroBank here my favorite type of rival/eventual bestest friend.

Anyway, great action this time and really funny moments.
ChnxwLXW0AAVOI9.jpg

Nintendoman giddy over CG robots. Truly the end of times.

They're tiny toy super robots so it's okay.

What do you expect? As a Nintendo fan this is probably the first time he's seen good graphics.

Great graphics don't make a great game!

But last season was better than this one.

This season has Jojo. Last season didn't.

Danball Senki - 43

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS.

Okay, NOW it's final boss time.

This season has offered nothing to be that I'd call very good. Even Flying Witch has meandered in the 'decent' territory when I was a bit more hopeful for it after the first two episodes.

I'd like to say that JoJo 4 is captivating me but alas, storytelling wise I'm still mostly disinterested even if this season is a major step up from Stardust Crusaders..

This season is definitely proving to be a lot more fun than last season, that's for sure.

Jojo Part 4 is Jojo, so that's enough said there.

My Hero Academia won't get to the great parts of the manga until a season 2, but I'm enjoying seeing the early chapters animated.

Everyone's reactions to Mayoiga, Kiznaiver, and Big Order as those shows go on are certainly going to be fun to read. I'm sure we'll get a List candidate from at least one of those (even if it doesn't get updated anymore).

blurr

Last season introduced me to Galko-chan and Rakugo, I think that's great.

Sure it could be better but I can't write off the season as forgettable with those two.

(also, Sekkou Boys)

This season has My Hero Academia which is very good.

Cornbread78

What do you expect? As a Nintendo fan this is probably the first time he's seen good graphics.

BVTzuZE.gif

Sankarea END:
1EagbTa.jpg

I don't get it. That was a bad ending. Everything was ambiguous and nothing was settled. I wonder if there was a second season planned, or was this just another "go read the manga if you really want to know what happens. It was a fairly cute ending moment, but it stopped at a point with sooo many plot points unresolved..

Although, I did peek at the extraepisode #13 and that clearly shows how dark/sad the manga must get through Babu's (the neko) narrative. I mean, the whole episode is like a continuation arc for the story... Phaze was right, Go read the manga, WTF anime...

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists #5

This continues to be shockingly competent considering it's a 4 cour adaption of a barely over 30 chapters manga. Knowing that, restructuring and fillers are basically par for the course, and this episode too was entirely new content. (I don't really want to say filler, because that implies stuff that doesn't matter, and this episode did a very good job integrating things in a meaningful way).

This episode introduced a canon character ahead of his time in a very believable way, managed to actually use him to give motivation and growth to Rokuro and Benio (mostly Rokuro) and also wrote him out in a natural way after this episode, presumedly until his canon entrance.

Also continues to have cool action and fun character interactions.
Oh yeah, Shimons ringtone killed me. Just perfect.

----
Well last season had Gintama, Heavy Object, Rakugo, Konosuba and Haikyuu.
This season has JoJo, Kiznaiver, Luluco, Kabaneri, Kuromukuro, Re:Zero, My Hero Academia, Macross Delta and Mayoiga.
I am satisfied.

I'd like to say that JoJo 4 is captivating me but alas, storytelling wise I'm still mostly disinterested even if this season is a major step up from Stardust Crusaders..

If you're not watching Jojo for the weird and increasingly insane stand fights between cool characters then you're probably barking up the wrong tree.

So it appears we might get a Kekkai Sensen movie - I could most certainly do more of Kekkai, love that world and universe

Argh. BBB wasn't terrible but I'd rather Rie work on something else.

Ascheroth

Oh that would be neat.

I really, really, hated last season to be honest. There was nothing in that season that really held my attention on an inherently enjoyably level.

This season is entertaining me much more.

Watching that Garo thing and Divine Gate probably made you so bitter you were unable to enjoy anything else.
That's not the seasons fault!

Qurupeke

Hyouka 1-3
D3FVUp1.png
OV1Yu4U.png
9FtmSgh.png

Chitanda intensifies.
It was about time. I had tried to watch the first episode more than a couple of times, but something about it was really... energy draining. However, it seems that I missed the really interesting part of it, the mystery. So far, the hypotheses presented are really neat, not really outlandish and convincing on their context. On that, I really liked Koyomimonogatari for its short, riddle-like stories. Hyouka, despite the overarching plot or the fact that it's more than two characters interacting, does something similar, but the mystery aspect and the payoff have been a lot better, and the solutions aren't as "silly". I'm not sure how much they plan to bother with that kind of mysteries, but I like it. My only objection is Oreki solving everything. I get that this is how his character is, smart where it matters and resourceful, but still I'm not very fond of that. I'd prefer more teamwork, instead of the others just asking him everything after he's done.
Other than this complaint, the club members are pretty nice. I feared that I'd hate Oreki's non-energetic personality, but I quickly turned around on that and I actually like him. He's a very nice contrast to Chitanda, who's always full of energy. She's pretty interesting herself, though all of those close ups and her large eyes creep me out. But who am I kidding, she's cute. The rest had their moments too, but the show clearly is about Oreki and Chitanda.

Of course, as expected, the show looks stunning. The backgrounds and the attention to the detail are certainly remarkable. Kyoani surely knows how to make good looking shows. Hyouka, though, managed to impress me even more as it has some cool visuals, like when it explains a mystery or the ones used on the flashbacks. I feel that Euphonium looked better, but still, Hyouka manages to look more interesting. So, I'm not 100% sure about which show has the better visuals, I'm still leaning towards Eupho, but perhaps, I'm a bit hasty on that. And it doesn't matter either, as both of them look absolutely great.
8wZlYID.png
p5eneNq.png
3GfQ4dF.png

Best scene so far.

I think I start to get why everyone loves this series so much, but there are still a lot more to see. I'm very impressed from the first episodes though, and I can only guess that the show will keep getting better.

Hyouka 1-3
I had tried to watch the first episode more than a couple of times, but something about it was really... energy draining.

I know what you mean exactly. I think I've watched about 3 episodes of it a few times, and it just hasn't quite clicked yet. Maybe I'll try again sometmime soon.

Twin Star Exorcists 5
All this anime original material is getting rid of one of the better things about the manga, its pacing, and really dragging things out.

Hyouka 1-3

Of course, as expected, the show looks stunning. The backgrounds and the attention to the detail are certainly remarkable. Kyoani surely knows how to make good looking shows. Hyouka, though, managed to impress me even more as it has some cool visuals, like when it explains a mystery or the ones used on the flashbacks. I feel that Euphonium looked better, but still, Hyouka manages to look more interesting. So, I'm not 100% sure about which show has the better visuals, I'm still leaning towards Eupho, but perhaps, I'm a bit hasty on that. And it doesn't matter either, as both of them look absolutely great.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Surely more interesting visuals are better visuals?

JulianImp

That just reminded me that I've got to pick Hyouka back up sometime, and having dropped several seasonal shows already means I could very easily watch it instead of meh stuff such as Anne-Happy or Bungou.

I'll still watch AA so I can bitch about it being a lifeless turd of an adaptation, though.

KraytarJ

But Rakugo. I'd say that was a damn fine show.

KonoSuba was also okay.
Unfortunately I missed Rakugo, the only shows I stuck with were Phantom Colors which was pretty good but not very remarkable at all and Erased which was really good at the start but when silly towards the end. As for Konosuba, I couldn't get passed the first 2 or 3 episodes because it just didn't do anything for me, PC just looked better so I went with that.

blurr

Hyouka 1-3

It was about time. I had tried to watch the first episode more than a couple of times, but something about it was really... energy draining. However, it seems that I missed the really interesting part of it, the mystery. So far, the hypotheses presented are really neat, not really outlandish and convincing on their context. On that, I really liked Koyomimonogatari for its short, riddle-like stories. Hyouka, despite the overarching plot or the fact that it's more than two characters interacting, does something similar, but the mystery aspect and the payoff have been a lot better, and the solutions aren't as "silly". I'm not sure how much they plan to bother with that kind of mysteries, but I like it. My only objection is Oreki solving everything. I get that this is how his character is, smart where it matters and resourceful, but still I'm not very fond of that. I'd prefer more teamwork, instead of the others just asking him everything after he's done.

A friend of mine had a similar concern although it didn't bother me as much. I do agree that Oreki didn't need to solve everything.

Hyouka 1-3

I think Hyouka is visually great and fitting for its themes and style. It hadn't particularly stood out for me in that regard but not that it is a bad thing by any means.

Same goes for Euphonium. Its visuals had this sense of grandeur reflective of the whole 'live orchestra' theme.

To compare is a matter of preference.

JulianImp

Unfortunately I missed Rakugo, the only shows I stuck with were Phantom Colors which was pretty good but not very remarkable at all and Erased which was really good at the start but when silly towards the end. As for Konosuba, I couldn't get passed the first 2 or 3 episodes because it just didn't do anything for me, PC just looked better so I went with that.

Phantom World was so much worse than KonoSuba for me it wasn't even funny. Even after I dropped eps 9 to 11 and went straight to the final arc that supposedly had more story, it was still the most boring and pointless show I watched that season with how episodic it was and how it was hellbent on doing fanservice stuff (limbo with Mai, catgirls, Reina becoming the MC's little sister, the MC deaging and being taken care of by Mayonaise-sama, MC applying paint to Mai's swimsuit to entice a pervert monkey thing, and so on), only with superior KyoAni visuals. Meanwhile, KonoSuba poked fun at its own isekai tropes and was okay for the most part, even though it wasn't a standout show by a long shot.

Rakugo was the best anime I've seen in quite a while with how unique it was. No isekai RPG, no battle high school, no ridiculous harem hijinx, no cute girls doing cute things; just a well-handled story set in a time and place we don't see that much of in anime (and when we do it's often flanderized to hell and back), with very appealing visuals and interesting characters. I can't possibly recommend it enough.

phaze

BVTzuZE.gif

Sankarea END:

I don't get it. That was a bad ending. Everything was ambiguous and nothing was settled. I wonder if there was a second season planned, or was this just another "go read the manga if you really want to know what happens. It was a fairly cute ending moment, but it stopped at a point with sooo many plot points unresolved..

Provided you knew about the manga and that anime for sure wouldn't be able to cover all of it, there was no reason to expect any of those issues resolved. Though ending show with that vague and unexplained scene at their hideout was rather uncalled for. Would have been pissed had #13 not explained it.

---

This season doesn't have anything quite as pretty or patrician as Rakugo but the breadth of bearable titles seems much bigger than in Winter. At this point in time I'd give Spring a nod over its predecessor.

---
44 episodes ? That's a bit unusual number isn't it ?

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 4

The DJ training with DJ Oily just throwing records at Agetarou was hilarious, as was Agetarou's friends high-effort promotion of him. Can't wait for the first real test next episode!

Also, I find it amusing that Agetarou's main rival is a CEO moonlighting as a DJ.

You should rectify that mistake before the second season starts.

Qurupeke

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Surely more interesting visuals are better visuals?

I don't know if my definition of "visuals" is correct, but I consider it as everything about the show's looks. Eupho was straight on what it presented. A band, concerts, a school, musical instruments and people playing them, and it perfected it. The colours used, the details, the characters. On the other hand, Hyouka seems to experiment a bit more with some more different artstyles or colour palettes for certain events, and I should add it's successful on that. But this and some beautiful shots, are probably the only things that stand out compared to Eupho, and I don't really think they're enough. Simply, Eupho seems more impressive when I consider everything.

As I said though, I'm judging based on 3 vs 13 episodes, so I need a more complete idea of Hyouka.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san! - 01: AH!! My Goddess

WTFFFFFFFFFF!!??

this OP... is covered by a character song in Wake Up Girls! ?!!! what theeeee fffff

So basically, I've heard the OP to this show before; as a character song from the idol anime Wake Up Girls! Miyu (the maid cafe girl) covers it. So I literally freaked out when I heard it here as the real OP. Like, fell out of my chair lmao freaked out.

I saw this show in the related anime to Twintails. It's about Lovecraftian space horrors personified into cute girls, apparently.

So people just read Lovecraft as general reading material? anime at its finest right here

nyaruluhouthalurotelhudlepu man are they having a hard time pronouncing an unpronounceable epithet of corporeal madness

Okay! The premise ain't too bad; terrifying tentacled alien demon gods only are that way because they can't get enough of superior Japanese entertainment. lol who am I kidding

There's a ton of gratuitious engrish in this show. I love it! Although from what I can gather this is pretty much To Love-Ru lite. Nyaruko's pretty great though.

Cornbread78

Provided you knew about the manga and that anime for sure wouldn't be able to cover all of it, there was no reason to expect any of those issues resolved. Though ending with that vague and unexplained scene at their hideout was rather uncalled for. Would have been pissed had #13 not explained it.

I knew it was manga based, but I had no idea there was a lot more to the story. Is there enough for a season 2? That ending scene was very open ended and didn't make much sense as I watched, but like you said, episode 13 gives you a lot into what that bloody bite/kiss really means. You can tell it goes in a very, VERY dark place if what they hint at is true in that extra episode.

Maybe the childhood friend does have a chance in the end... she is the best character afterall.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san! - 01: AH!! My Goddess

WTFFFFFFFFFF!!??

this OP... is covered by a character song in Wake Up Girls! ?!!! what theeeee fffff

So basically, I've heard the OP to this show before; as a character song from the idol anime Wake Up Girls! Miyu (the maid cafe girl) covers it. So I literally freaked out when I heard it here as the real OP. Like, fell out of my chair lmao freaked out.

I saw this show in the related anime to Twintails. It's about Lovecraftian space horrors personified into cute girls, apparently.

So people just read Lovecraft as general reading material? anime at its finest right here

nyaruluhouthalurotelhudlepu man are they having a hard time pronouncing an unpronounceable epithet of corporeal madness

Okay! The premise ain't too bad; terrifying tentacled alien demon gods only are that way because they can't get enough of superior Japanese entertainment. lol who am I kidding

There's a ton of gratuitious engrish in this show. I love it! Although from what I can gather this is pretty much To Love-Ru lite. Nyaruko's pretty great though.

This is one of the few OPs I listened to consistently, it's bouncy energy is like rocket fuel for my soul! The engrish is very strong with this one to an extent that I feel they were having as much fun with it as I was at it as I strongly suspect the CQC stuff is an MGS reference. It's kind of uneven as a show (I watched it alongside a few shows as I never felt the need to binge on it) but I love Lovecraft so seeing the mythos being treated so 'lovingly' was enough fun to drag me through the slower bits.

Ascheroth

Danball Senki #10

MYSTERIOUS TRANSFER STUDENT arriving at class in a FIGHTER JET (they are 13 years old).
The underground tournament is under the café, haha.
with the manager even its secret organizer
Looking forward to see the results of their training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom