• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayoiga 5

Every episode really is following the same rough pattern of 20 minutes standing around and arguing, and then last 3 minutes are something crazy happening. What this really needs, though, is more cat puns.

I don't know if my definition of "visuals" is correct, but I consider it as everything about the show's looks. Eupho was straight on what it presented. A band, concerts, a school, musical instruments and people playing them, and it perfected it. The colours used, the details, the characters. On the other hand, Hyouka seems to experiment a bit more with some more different artstyles or colour palettes for certain events, and I should add it's successful on that. But this and some beautiful shots, are probably the only things that stand out compared to Eupho, and I don't really think they're enough. Simply, Eupho seems more impressive when I consider everything.

As I said though, I'm judging based on 3 vs 13 episodes, so I need a more complete idea of Hyouka.

I'm sure you'll feel differently at least by the time you reach the festival arc, which really shows off the amount of effort that went into Hyouka's production. I prefer Euphonium slightly because of the material, and its visual presentation of musical instruments and music-making is impressive, but Hyouka has superior cinematography and animation.

Everyone who hasn't seen them yet has to repent and watch Hyouka and Rakugo, the latter of which made last season the superior season to this.

If you're not watching Jojo for the weird and increasingly insane stand fights between cool characters then you're probably barking up the wrong tree.

A lot of that was enough to have me engaged...roughly 60 episodes ago. I'll enjoy all that well if I was otherwise actually invested in the narrative. Supposedly the villain this time is much better but I'm not sure how much we've seen of him yet but in these first 5 episodes there wasn't anything to write home about. Last episode managed to get me a tad emotional for a moment but that's due to the really good direction and less so because the writing is compelling.

phaze

Joker Game 05

This unrelenting pattern of super awesome nippon spies going all "Keikkaku Dohri!" on poor, devoid of plot armor, peeps all over the world makes things way to predictable and stale. Those info dumps at the end of every episode got grating too. I still liked this episode more than the two before, the Robinson bit in particular being a neat bit of foreshadowing, but that's not saying much.
---
Joker Game rather shows how deluded my plans for every coming season tend to be. The show I pinned on my hopes for Spring is the one I'm very close to dropping and things that weren't even on my radar like Re: Zero or Bungo or were there but just as curiosities, like Kiznaiver, end up being my highlights.

Ascheroth

I'll watch Hyouka eventually. And finish Rakugo (but the second season announcement has put it down on my priority list, I might just wait until that one starts or is over).

For now, though, I need some tiny toy super robot action. And Penguindrum. That too wants to be finished.

Cornbread78

Bro don't fuck with us, our gang don't take no shit.
Ooooh
Ooooh
That's how Hyouka riders roll

PA2cCnw.png

More people watching Hyouka. Good, good.

9fzgqdE.gif

A lot of that was enough to have me engaged...roughly 60 episodes ago. I'll enjoy all that well if I was otherwise actually invested in the narrative. Supposedly the villain this time is much better but I'm not sure how much we've seen of him yet but in these first 5 episodes there wasn't anything to write home about. Last episode managed to get me a tad emotional for a moment but that's due to the really good direction and less so because the writing is compelling.

You should just quit watching Jojo at this point. Not that I've read the manga, but it doesn't seem like a series that'll ever deliver a compelling character drama of the sort you're looking for.

Have you been watching any of Kuromukuro? That show might satisfy you on a character level.

Joker Game 05

This unrelenting pattern of super awesome nippon spies going all "Keikkaku Dohri!" on poor, devoid of plot armor, peeps all over the world makes things way to predictable and stale. Those info dumps at the end of every episode got grating too. I still liked this episode more than the two before, the Robinson bit in particular being a neat bit of foreshadowing, but that's not saying much.
---
Joker Game rather shows how deluded my plans for every coming season tend to be. The show I pinned on my hopes for Spring is the one I'm very close to dropping and things that weren't even on my radar like Re: Zero or Bungo or were there but just as curiosities like Kiznaiver end up being my highlights.

This is true. I expected Joker Game to be really good as well, only for it to fall flat. Kabaneri surprised me, since it's actually turning out to be much more than an AoT clone and in my opinion is already much better than the other show was when it was this many episodes in. Re: Zero is a blast with its groundhog elements and great characters. Speaking of characters, Kiznaiver has those too and the show is just super entertaining, with something much darker brewing under it's comedic and relief moments. Flying Witch is there to cleanse your soul when you need it most at the end of a tough week.

Bungou however... Is failing to grab me. And this episode is actually going to be the deal breaker for me.

EDIT: Corn, that's my favourite GIF ahaha.

You should just quit watching Jojo at this point. Not that I've read the manga, but it doesn't seem like a series that'll ever deliver a compelling character drama of the sort you're looking for.

Have you been watching any of Kuromukuro? That show might satisfy you on a character level.

I'm not dropping JoJo. I'm still enjoying it, I just don't consider it very good. Still my top watch this season alongside Flying Witch currently. It's not like it was in the first half of Crusaders where I felt like it was downright bad.

Haven't seen any of Kuromukuro but now that you say it, I've read a previous impression of yours that read like I really could enjoy that.

Qurupeke

Not really spoilers, but I recently read Part 4. While it's better than Part 3, I didn't find it mind blowing. The main villain is much better, I liked them a lot, but DIO wasn't hard to be surpassed on the first place. I have to warn you though, that people have overhyped part 4 almost as much as My Hero Academia. Its neat artstyle and its faster pace, if they want to include everything, will make it better, but based on your posts, I'm not sure how much you'll like it. You were pretty hard on Part 3...

For now, though, I need some tiny toy super robot action. And Penguindrum. That too wants to be finished.
You really need to continue this.

JoJo will always be about the crazy fights and whacked out characters moreso then character development, even in the parts with character development like 6 and 7. HxH is there for you if you want the Shonen with the best characters.

I'll be okay with Lovepon dying....if she executes some people first.

How about that annoying couple?

Start with them.

Actually scratch that. Start with him.
mikage.png.jpg

It'll lead to more stupidity.

pbayne

Fruits Basket 2-3

Im ready for this to turn full on reverse harem. There's still what...10 zodiacs left(though im not sure if they're all guys).

One Piece 739

I'm pretty harsh on the One Piece anime but I actually liked this episode, even though its weird that these after-arc episodes largely look better then the Dressrosa climax episodes. That might just be cuz I think Kaido is fuckin' cool and a good effort was made to make him look as monstrous as he actually is.

This part actually made me more excited for One Piece then I had been for years because Kaido is a real monster. He just can't die, whether or not he is too strong to be killed or is cursed or whatever who knows but someone who keels three Supernovas over by shouting should prove to be the hardest fought battle for Luffy yet. I'm still thinking he's just going to Kars him and punch him into Orbit or the Moon.

phaze

JoJo will always be about the crazy fights and whacked out characters

But we have Bleach for that !
----
I don't even need character development, just a story that is a bit more than a parade through a set of irrelevant guys waiting to be discarded by the author when their 1/2 episodes of fame are done.

Bungou Stray Dogs 05
016202pns2i.jpg
016208j0s3y.jpg

I'm going to watch Captain Earth for those faces alone.
Alright episode. The truth about the murder case was a tad on the too melodramatical and cliched for my tastes but the reveals that kept popping up at at end made it more interesting then up till that point.

I have to say I eat up Dazai's shtick like there's no tomorrow. Most of his humorous lines have me cracking up.

JoJo will always be about the crazy fights and whacked out characters moreso then character development, even in the parts with character development like 6 and 7. HxH is there for you if you want the Shonen with the best characters.

Pretty much this.

Jojo is a show that's about a bunch of fabulous looking dudes making cool poses and ducking it out with crazy powers. With the way Diamond is Unbreakable has been delivering with its direction, visuals, its cool transitions, and the main cast presenting themselves as pretty likeable in general, I'd say that's enough to call it a very good show so far this season.

Yowamushi Pedal 12

N6HjvwT.jpg

And that was how Onoda became a helium addict.

With the bike modifications that have been made, this training camp reminds me of the Hunter X Hunter training to open the Zoldyck estate gate. So rough.

I hope Sugimoto goes away soon through. I know he's deliberately annoying, but that doesn't stop me from cringing every time he opens his mouth. At least he shouldn't be around for the Interhigh.

Yowamushi Pedal 12

With the bike modifications that have been made, this training camp reminds me of the Hunter X Hunter training to open the Zoldyck estate gate. So rough.

I hope Sugimoto goes away soon through. I know he's deliberately annoying, but that doesn't stop me from cringing every time he opens his mouth. At least he shouldn't be around for the Interhigh.

The interhigh doesnt prevent people from being there to cheer the team on/ride in the van.

SUPER LOVERS Episode 5 – Cherry Blossom
tumblr_o6o06kpkhJ1qbxqfpo1_540.jpg
tumblr_o6o06kpkhJ1qbxqfpo2_540.jpg

Yes another one of my favorite scenes animated perfectly, just needed the sparkle effects added into it to maximize the love. I love how Ren grips Haru and pulls him down and sounds like he doesnt want Haru to leave just yet.

Kurosaki is also wonderful and such a good friend to Ren, Im glad he got his development somewhat out the way and started and many of their good times have started too.
ChocmE4WsAA1ZOH.jpg

Ascheroth

Bungou Stray Dogs #5

The comedy really clicks with me, but it's sill nothing outstanding. Now we know where the Detective part of Armed Detective Force comes from. Rampo is fun.

Danball Senki #11

FINISHING FUNCTION: LAITONINGU LANSU!
Thankfully Ban got knocked down a bit during the second fight. Can't be overconfident if you want to enter an underground tournament!
It's funny how you can basically see the semi-finals and finals just by looking at the starting roster, haha.

I mean, that stuff is cute. But I'd rather have it on a little flipbook (especially if they make more inbetweens so it's smooth) instead of randomly making them playing cards.

Andrew J.

Macross Delta 05

All right, so...am I crazy, or is Windermere WWII-era Japan? Past periods of isolation and anti-foreign resentment, vaguely feudal military influence, it starts the war off with surprise attacks against much larger opponents...Part of me thinks these shared elements are clear and intentional, but another part of me thinks that this level of political self-criticism is very rare in anime and that I'm probably just reading things into it from an American perspective. What say you, thread?

T-Rex.

Banned
When do the fights get good? I watched it up until the bit where Jotaro (?) is the MC but I found the fights to be really disappointing.

Clov

Viz is releasing the first half of Sailor Moon Crystal on BD on August 16th. I wonder what they're doing with the classic series? It's been a while since they released R. I'm going to hope in vain that they're doing an HD scan of the film elements for the remaining seasons, and that's why it's taking them so long.
At least do it for the movies...

Edit: Different topic, but for all your Gundam Build Fighters fans: RightStuf and Sunrise are giving the first season a BD release here on August 2nd. It'll be dubbed too!

Different topic, but for all your Gundam Build Fighters fans: RightStuf and Sunrise are giving the first season a BD release here on August 2nd. It'll be dubbed too!

Wait, seriously?

Edit: Just checked the page. Huh, I remember a dub not getting announced when IBO was said to be getting a dub, so I wonder if that's a mistake.

Macross Delta 05

All right, so...am I crazy, or is Windermere WWII-era Japan? Past periods of isolation and anti-foreign resentment, vaguely feudal military influence, it starts the war off with surprise attacks against much larger opponents...Part of me thinks these shared elements are clear and intentional, but another part of me thinks that this level of political self-criticism is very rare in anime and that I'm probably just reading things into it from an American perspective. What say you, thread?

If it was Shou Aikawa writing, I would say the resemblance was definitely intentional. With Kawamori I'm not sure.

When do the fights get good? I watched it up until the bit where Jotaro (?) is the MC but I found the fights to be really disappointing.

If you didn't like Battle Tendency, then something is wrong with you. But you should still try out Diamond is Unbreakable, since the concept of Stands creates a new dimension for the fights and the DiU anime has been amazing so far.

pbayne

Black Jack OVA series End

Like most episodic series it was a grab bag of great episodes, decent ones and one i was completely indifferent to. I am a big fan of medical dramas and surgery scenes always have a baseline tension thats hard to mess up, so all that stuff is great. I didn't like the series habit of dipping into supernatural elements. the draw of seeing Black Jack deducing the right treatments is enough, the supernatural elements just felt a bit silly in comparison to everything else at times.

There was nothing really to link any of the OVAs, they are all pretty much stand-alone, i would have liked a little running theme or just something to tie them together. Though the first 10 do all look fantastic and have really attractive character designs. Though its a bit jarring to see the last 2 OVAs, which were clearly made many years after, adopt a more modern art style that just comes across really awkward, it doesn't quite match the tone of the series and doesn't fit the character deigns at all.

Would i watch more Black Jack? Eh, i guess so but it would depend on the type of story it is. I know there a shit ton of movies and whatnot and he is an iconic character that you can't alter much about Black Jack, its more about the story around him.

Part 2 and 3 have multiple good fights but are totally lacking compared to how they evolve in Part 4 and beyond. One of the best "fights" in Part 3 is just a card game because of the mindgames, but Part 4 and beyond combine that with the actual fisticuffs

Black Jack OVA series End

Like any episodic series it was a grab bag of great episodes, decent ones and one i was completely indifferent to. I am a big fan of medical dramas and surgery scenes always have a baseline tension thats hard to mess up, so all that stuff is great. I didn't like the series habit of dipping into supernatural elements. the draw of seeing Black Jack deducing the right treatments is enough, the supernatural elements just felt a bit silly in comparison to everything else at times.

There was nothing rally to link any of the OVAs, they are all pretty much stand-alone. Though the first 10 do all look fantastic and have really attractive character designs. Though its a bit jarring to see the last 2 OVAs, which were clearly made many years after, adopt a more modern art style that just comes across really awkward, it doesn't quite match the tone of the series and doesn't fit the character deigns at all.

The last 2 episodes were done as a posthumous tribute to Osamu Dezaki, using storyboard notes he had left unfinished at his death. Since the industry had entirely transitioned over to digital animation by 2011, it was inevitable that it wouldn't look the same as 1993 cel animation.

T-Rex.

Banned
If you didn't like Battle Tendency, then something is wrong with you. But you should still try out Diamond is Unbreakable, since the concept of Stands creates a new dimension for the fights and the DiU anime has been amazing so far.
I liked both parts 1 and 2 but I just didn't think the fights were all that great. It was recommended to me after I'd watched HxH and so I was expecting the fights to be on a par with the ones in that but while they were more stylish I didn't find them to be as intense/entertaining. It's a good anime though and I definitely need to get back on it since DiU seems to be loved by pretty much everyone.

Part 2 and 3 have multiple good fights but are totally lacking compared to how they evolve in Part 4 and beyond. One of the best "fights" in Part 3 is just a card game because of the mindgames, but Part 4 and beyond combine that with the actual fisticuffs
Ah ok, I definitely need to carry on with it in that case.

Ascheroth

Danball Senki #12

I was expecting the first battle to be fodder, but that was nerve-wrecking. Loved how they strategized before the battle and changed parts based on their opponent to be as prepared as possible.
Gouda is an awesome bro.
The next battles are gonig to be hype af. RIP Kazu though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom