• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Highschool of the Dead...

wasn't that the show that had a good premise to make a fun zombie anime but instead focused on the fan service?

EonydU2.gif

Nope

So, I recently finished Monster and loved it. One of the best shows I ever watched period. It knew how to create compelling characters even if they weren't realistic ones. Admittedly, Tenma was a bit of a God, but I somewhat like that. The contrast between the ultimate doctor who can save life and the ultimate Killer who takes it was undoubtedly fascinating. The surrounding psychology was a bit crazy but he story telling and desperation sells it.

I love insane conspiracy stories like this one and the maddening conclusion to the secret of the villain who doesn't know himself was excellent. Side characters tend to go through whole mini arcs just for them, and it works brilliantly even if it usually results in their demise. It's a happy ending for the most part too, which I like quite a bit. The show was basically taking a look at the line between human and monster. I like the optimism and hope it places in mankind even with the terrible people in the world. The child character in Dieter managed to avoid being annoying but I'm not quite sure what he exactly offered. Anna was a great character who stands her own while still carrying weaknesses. Lunge was a tragic character really, slowly picking up the human pieces beyond the work he does. It's easy to hate how cold the guy is, but the dedication and care he does eventually give does make up for it.

So yeah, if you've never watched Monster, do it. It's great and makes for a nice thriller with a rather balanced perspective on life and morality, criticizing the poor acts of man but placing trust in them to do better because they can and believing they always can.

Russ T

Banned
Highschool of the Dead...

wasn't that the show that had a good premise to make a fun zombie anime but instead focused on the fan service?

Yeah the worst(/best?) part of HotD is that there's actually something interesting there beneath the wildly flopping breasts.

EDIT: The other worst(/best?) part of HotD is that the wildly flopping breasts make for a good drinking game.

Ascheroth

Kabaneri #4

Those idiot villagers are probably dumber than the entire cast in Mayoiga.
What bothered me the most was Ayame just giving away the master key the second she's asked to by some trustworthy dudes. I don't mind convenient timing and stupid decisions in a story like this all that much, but the aforementioned scene was a bit too much.
But the action was still hype, especially combined with the songs.

More like, what do most of these questionably untranslated terms mean.
Well, Kotetsujou is the Iron Fortress part of the title (no idea why they don't just translate it).
Kabaneri seems to just be a made-up word, slapping a ri after Kabane.
And Kabane is probably also just made up, taking a part of Shikabane, which means corpse.

Jintor

honestly, i wish hsotd had swung even further into either the shennanigans or the fanservice.

i actually can't remember shit about it other than matrix boobs, swordswoman stucopres, nerd with giant boobs, and those two girls who were best friends and then immediately and hilariously backstabbed each other. and someone's parents were like the best zombie killers ever.

and madarame/viral was a military otaku

Mailbox

Decided to go through my backlog of games, so I'm way more behind this season than I wanted to be. Time to catch up, i guess.

Netoge 3-5

Ako has problems. Stuff happens.

I have 2 main issues with this show. the first is the art style (or rather the character art). The whole thing going on with the mouth and the eyes just doesn't jell for me at all. The second issue I have with this show is that it goes a bit too middle ground between serious and for fun.
It just seems to me that the show tried to make itself fun without that actually translating to the audience, but its also not talking about the issues of people confusing fiction for reality seriously enough to be interesting. We do have the semi-yandere thing going on with Ako, but nothing really comes out of it. We almost got something with the pee thing this episode but that ended up being nothing. I guess what I'm getting at is that this show doesn't go "far enough" in anything it does, and as a result becomes mundane and kind of drab.

I won't call this show bad, but its not very good.

Ascheroth

Kuromukuro #5

Continues to be lots of fun, I'm glad it's now confirmed to be 2-cour. Kennosuke just being himself in the modern world is the best. And his interactions with Yukina, too. Loved how the class reacted when they had to sorty, haha. Next episode should be pretty awesome.
And can I say that really like the OP? Because I really like the OP.

YuruYuri S3 1-12

I was kind of caught off guard at first by how different this season was compared to the first two. There was a way bigger focus on more the slice of life aspect than there was before, and it kind of felt more like the characters were less like walking quirks than before. It definitely had its ups and downs because of it. The lack of Akarin jokes was kind of nice too, since I felt those were a bit overdone and a few times just a bit mean on occasion in the previous two seasons. It seemed like a few characters like Chitose and Chizuru were less present than before, probably because their gags would have clashed a bit more with the different direction the series went with this season. Overall though it was nice seeing the cast in a different way than with previous seasons, although it also made the lack of much continuity a bit more blatant too.

Also, I couldn't help but notice half of Kyoko's face disappearing in this one part during the last episode lol.

s0m2baL.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Anne Happy 05

Wow, that end card makes Ren's tits look massive. Otherwise that was a sweet love story.

See, I tried to be careful with the way I phrased my comment about that, but oh no, here comes ol' Slicey again who just blurts out "that bird had stonkin' tits".

I love you man, keep trying.... I think your the only one watching it, lol
I thought I'd try for once to comment on an episode I've seen.

Cornbread78

Decided to go through my backlog of games, so I'm way more behind this season than I wanted to be. Time to catch up, i guess.

Netoge 3-5

Ako has problems. Stuff happens.

I have 2 main issues with this show. the first is the art style (or rather the character art). The whole thing going on with the mouth and the eyes just doesn't jell for me at all. The second issue I have with this show is that it goes a bit too middle ground between serious and for fun.
It just seems to me that the show tried to make itself fun without that actually translating to the audience, but its also not talking about the issues of people confusing fiction for reality seriously enough to be interesting. We do have the semi-yandere thing going on with Ako, but nothing really comes out of it. We almost got something with the pee thing this episode but that ended up being nothing. I guess what I'm getting at is that this show doesn't go "far enough" in anything it does, and as a result becomes mundane and kind of drab.

I won't call this show bad, but its not very good.

I think they actually got the tone perfect this week compared to other episodes. It was a ice balance between comedy, serious and some "feel good" moments. The amount of heart the show puts out is surprising and sometimes really good

See, I tried to be careful with the way I phrased my comment about that, but oh no, here comes ol' Slicey again who just blurts out "that bird had stonkin' tits".

I thought I'd try for once to comment on an episode I've seen.

Throwing a curveball once in awhile isn't a bad thing, lol.

Kuromukuro 05

Kennosuke doing things in the modern world is the best. The other pilots are a rather odd bunch at first sight lol.

Next episode there is gonna be some sweet action. Cant wait.

She's going to be revealed as some eccentric space goddess. Just you watch.
This better happen or I will be disappointed now.

I'm a very direct person.
So Rie Kugimiya is in Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!!? Summer is best season confirmed
Kugimiya playing a character with personality shifts? I for one am shocked.

Cornbread78

Kabaneri ep.4
Not too bad overall. It was good to see
Ikuma had to step up this episode to save the day
instead of Mumei like usual. I also hope that Katana jerk will
stay on the Kabaneri train now and stop being an ass.
Blood, blood for both of them!

pbayne

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 4

I guess this show found its take on abnormal titans.
Pacing was a bit weird here, felt like too much stuff happening at once and out of no where. Obvious solution to the blood problem from last week is obvious solution. Someone tell Ikoma's VA to turn down the intensity, you don't need to shout every line. Action was gloriously OTT though, i couldn't help but laugh when the music kicked in.

Im still waiting for my bet on plot maguffin to kick in. All bets are still on miracle cure.

Kuromukuro 2

Decided to give this another go and...eh it still doesn't catch my interest. It had great action, the CG worked well. But, same problem i had with episode 1, every character outside the samurai guy seems dull as hell and its easy to zone out when he's not on screen. And even then he just seems just a typical shouty man out of time type. Not particularity a fan of the main girls "lol so wacky, so random" lines either, just undercuts any situation they're in at times. Maybe its just a slow start and i know its getting 26 episodes so ill keep an eye on it but still on hold for now.

Qurupeke

Concrete Revolutio 18
Oh man, fantastic episode. The ending was perfect, I loved the music that played during
the appearance of the Tartarus Queen.
Oh, and Earth-chan appeared, even though she's still the worst.

Cornbread78

Venus to Mamoru ep.3
This show certainly has its really cute moments. Obviously she is a brut, but we get a better understanding as to why because of her awful parents and her upbringing. They are an odd couple, but the show is pretty good so far.

I keep telling people 3rei!! is going to be tight.
But the damage has already been done.

The damage was done last year unfortunately.

Clov

I finished Dear Brother last night! It was nice to see everything wrap up, and it was a great anime overall. Ultimately I still think I prefer The Rose of Versailles, just because I liked the characters and setting more in that.

I have to admit, comparing it to Rose of Versailles I had trouble taking Dear Brother seriously at first. The problems that Misonoo faced seemed so small and petty; not to say many of the conflicts in Rose of Versailles weren't, but I bought into them easier there because of the setting. It made sense why certain conflicts would be like that, and there were still severe consequences to them. At first, it didn't seem like Dear Brother could really match this; while both shows are melodramas, Dear Brother seemed more like a 'silly' one to me.

My perspective shifted as I watched more. I came to understand that all the fighting about the sorority meant everything to some of these characters; it was their entire world. Then of course, we quickly discover some of the bigger problems the characters have
Miya and Rei's relationship, Rei's drug addiction, Kaoru's illness, etc
, and even outside of the sorority's world the consequences become serious. I even came to appreciate the modern day setting; whereas violence was a bit more frequent in Rose of Versailles (which made sense, given the setting), the lack of it in Dear Brother only makes the times where it does occur more shocking. Like nearly all of the Dezaki works I've seen, it quickly became hard to stop watching.

As much as I'm comparing the series to Rose of Versailles, a much better comparison would be Aim for the Ace! While the latter is a sports anime, Dear Brother starts with the same basic idea behind its premise; an average girl unexpectedly becomes a member of a prestigious club with a mysterious leader, and then gets bullied mercilessly by people jealous of her. I was actually surprised by how similar they were starting out. Of course they diverge in significant ways, with Aim for the Ace focusing on Oka improving as a tennis player, whereas Dear Brother focuses more on Misonoo's relationships with the rest of the cast.

While I don't know if I would rank it among my all-time favorites, it's definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of Dezaki's work since it's one of his strongest. Next up, I'm going to be watching... Ai no Kusabi (1992). Then I'll get to Votoms. For real this time.

I finished Dear Brother last night! It was nice to see everything wrap up, and it was a great anime overall. Ultimately I still think I prefer The Rose of Versailles, just because I liked the characters and setting more in that.

I have to admit, comparing it to Rose of Versailles I had trouble taking Dear Brother seriously at first. The problems that Misonoo faced seemed so small and petty; not to say many of the conflicts in Rose of Versailles weren't, but I bought into them easier there because of the setting. It made sense why certain conflicts would be like that, and there were still severe consequences to them. At first, it didn't seem like Dear Brother could really match this; while both shows are melodramas, Dear Brother seemed more like a 'silly' one to me.

My perspective shifted as I watched more. I came to understand that all the fighting about the sorority meant everything to some of these characters; it was their entire world. Then of course, we quickly discover some of the bigger problems the characters have
Miya and Rei's relationship, Rei's drug addiction, Kaoru's illness, etc
, and even outside of the sorority's world the consequences become serious. I even came to appreciate the modern day setting; whereas violence was a bit more frequent in Rose of Versailles (which made sense, given the setting), the lack of it in Dear Brother only makes the times where it does occur more shocking. Like nearly all of the Dezaki works I've seen, it quickly became hard to stop watching.

As much as I'm comparing the series to Rose of Versailles, a much better comparison would be Aim for the Ace! While the latter is a sports anime, Dear Brother starts with the same basic idea behind its premise; an average girl unexpectedly becomes a member of a prestigious club with a mysterious leader, and then gets bullied mercilessly by people jealous of her. I was actually surprised by how similar they were starting out. Of course they diverge in significant ways, with Aim for the Ace focusing on Oka improving as a tennis player, whereas Dear Brother focuses more on Misonoo's relationships with the rest of the cast.

While I don't know if I would rank it among my all-time favorites, it's definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of Dezaki's work since it's one of his strongest. Next up, I'm going to be watching... Ai no Kusabi (1992). Then I'll get to Votoms. For real this time.

Glad you enjoyed it! I would actually consider Dear Brother my favorite out of the Dezaki works I've seen, but I haven't really watched Rose of Versailles yet (and that's only half a Dezaki show anyway). The character drama and the visuals are just so compelling.

Space Patrol Luluco Ep 6
Season 2 Finale!

Goddam this show is the best, today's lesson in justice is Two Wrongs Do Make Right. I'd screen cap but I have a boring con call to attend and I'm not sure what I wouldn't screen cap right now

/XX/

Today begins the first official run on U.S. theaters for Belladonna of Sadness, after the limited showings on cinema festivals and such. I'd gladly take the opportunity to give support (if I could go), and not just because of the apparent damn fine job done by staff at Cinelicious Pics with this restoration, but also because of what could signify for future endeavors empowered by the shown support and attention towards this project:

Blu-ray Forum - View Single Post - Official Cinelicious Pics Thread
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=12121879&postcount=281

Craig Rogers recently teased the signing of a very exciting license, and as previously discussed it could very well mean further restoration projects for the rest of Animerama works!

Kuromukuro 2

Decided to give this another go and...eh it still doesn't catch my interest. It had great action, the CG worked well. But, same problem i had with episode 1, every character outside the samurai guy seems dull as hell and its easy to zone out when he's not on screen. And even then he just seems just a typical shouty man out of time type. Not particularity a fan of the main girls "lol so wacky, so random" lines either, just undercuts any situation they're in at times. Maybe its just a slow start and i know its getting 26 episodes so ill keep an eye on it but still on hold for now.

If you hate the characters at this point, it's unlikely you'll change your mind if you keep going. (You're also wrong, but that happens.)

Line_HTX

Had a chat with Bahi JD on Twitter a short while ago. The schedule is tight but he says it's pretty normal for TV animation in general.

I understand that they have a tight schedule, but do they have enough breathing room to not have derpy lapses and fall super behind like some of the Titan episodes?

Wanderer5

Space Patrol Luluco #6

Jeez, this is going to crossover with Kill la Kill at this rate lol. This show still rocks.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress #4

Eh I didn't have too much issue with this episode, despite the stupidity reaching to a new level, and some wonky shots. Think the only particular issue that really bug me was Ayame giving up the master key. They could have done better with her in that scene, but least she got some nice bow action later on (her bow looks pretty cool too).

kabaneri2-png

Clov

Today begins the first official run on U.S. theaters for Belladonna of Sadness, after the limited showings on cinema festivals and such. I'd gladly take the opportunity to give support (if I could go), and not just because of the apparent damn fine job done by staff at Cinelicious Pics with this restoration, but also because of what could signify for future endeavors empowered by the shown support and attention towards this project:

Blu-ray Forum - View Single Post - Official Cinelicious Pics Thread
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=12121879&postcount=281

Craig Rogers recently teased the signing of a very exciting license, and as previously discussed it could very well mean further restoration proyects for the rest of Animerama works!

While I'm in Canada, there actually is a theater in the city I'm living in right now that's showing it on the 25th. I might go see it there with my fiance; it's a very unique movie, and watching it on the big screen would be quite the experience! Very excited to pick up the upcoming BD as well.

I'm very excited to see what anime Cinelicious has picked up next! If their restoration on Belladonna is as good as I've heard, then hopefully it's something that doesn't currently have an HD version available. I haven't seen any of the other Animerama works, but if they're as interesting as Belladonna then I'd definitely give them a chance.

Even though it already has an HD scan, I wouldn't mind them releasing Angel's Egg. They could give it a new, better restoration. Someone needs to release it over here already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom