• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lalaco 06
MYdmsv0.jpg

I love how anachronistic the computer displays are in this show from the funky monochrome phones to this brilliant LucasArts PC adventure-esque 16-bit display. The details are just so good on this show

Ascheroth

Lulucop Season 2 FINALE

Lmao. I can't even start listing all of the hilarious moments in this episode, because there were just way too many everywhere.

Looking forward to next season! Kill la kill crossover? lol.

duckroll

Oh he did work on the show?

He animated the fight between blue-sword-dude and dual-wielding-zombie on the train. I made a comment about how I was rather disappointed by the lack of weight in the motion on the booru upload, and we had a chat on twitter about it. He says he's trying to do more TV stuff to practice and improve his efficiency and speed as an animator, and that he did a lot of rough frames for that scene which were touched up by other second key animators.

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio - Episode 18

After two episodes of guest writers doing episodic fills, we're back to FULL PLOT, FULL ACTION, FULL MECHA. Good stuff this week. It surprisingly connects a number of dots from the previous season, while still telling a pretty charming self contained story. It's pretty coincidental that this is airing around the time Civil War opens, because the PLOT in ConRevo is aligning well with those themes too. Some really nice action animation this week too. <3

TUSR

Banned
Kabaneri - 4

This episode was weak on a lot of things. Jarmel covered a good bit of my thoughts.

Still good to see at least one well animated segment that wasn't just Mumei killing things. Ikoma finally did something.

He animated the fight between blue-sword-dude and dual-wielding-zombie on the train. I made a comment about how I was rather disappointed by the lack of weight in the motion on the booru upload, and we had a chat on twitter about it. He says he's trying to do more TV stuff to practice and improve his efficiency and speed as an animator, and that he did a lot of rough frames for that scene which were touched up by other second key animators.

That's interesting. I hope it works for him; seeing that he was left out of Ping Pong due to time was a bummer.

The middle section of that cut did seem to be going for light and nimble though. I'd agree that it didn't feel entirely appropriate for the scene (for the Wazatori mainly) but it reads as more of an error in judgment than animation to me. The parts surrounding the middle did feel a bit lacking.

Jarmel

Banned

Yea I thought his cut was pretty weak. I thought this previous cut was better and even this isn't exactly stellar.

https://sakuga.yshi.org/data/bede7fd03a859d2c210b0e92266f0523.mp4

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Uchuu Patrol Luluco Episode 6:

Why hello there Lavos, I was not expecting you to return and yet I am not surprised.

Concrete Revolutio is the only anime I can think of that has an invasive plant as a plot and thematic point.
Also, Jiro keeps being the coolest.

They finally explained what those helmets were! Though, I'm not sure why they were there exactly, but maybe that'll be explained too.

All in all, a great episode. ConRevo S2 has been really consistent so far.

Ascheroth

Kagewani S2 #6

This technically wasn't a bad episode.
But I just don't really care about the human vs. human background powergames.

Narag

Concrete Revolutio 18
Uh, another outstanding ep and the sort of thing I'd been waiting for as episodes 2, 6, 7, 8, and 11-13 were sourced in answering some longstanding questions as well as to begin tightening up the overarching narrative.

pbayne

Dennou Coil 16

The plot thickens. Feels like the pieces are all going to start falling into place soon.

Luluco 6

More Trigger. More escalation. More Justice.

Narag

After two episodes of guest writers doing episodic fills, we're back to FULL PLOT, FULL ACTION, FULL MECHA. Good stuff this week. It surprisingly connects a number of dots from the previous season, while still telling a pretty charming self contained story. It's pretty coincidental that this is airing around the time Civil War opens, because the PLOT in ConRevo is aligning well with those themes too. Some really nice action animation this week too. <3

Yes. Coincidence.

Kuromukuro - 02-05

Welp, turns out ugly looking CGI mechas still bore me to tears. But even with these mecha shenanigans aside I was quite let down by the rest. I was hoping that Kennosuke's introduction to modern society and living in Yukina's household would be where characterization and such shines. Instead the characters and comedy fell flat for me. It's very anime, too, what not with school girls being mecha pilot, one of whom already got groped and keeps calling Kennosuke hentai a bunch of times and so forth.

The larger story arc is already getting grating thanks to an abundant use of flashbacks, talk about Yukina's father and mentioning the term 'demon' a thousand times. Oni oni oni oni oni oni oni oni oni oni oni. Make them shut up please.

It does have some neat looking computer interfaces I guess, so, that's good! I'm out though. My impressions of the trailer weren't so wrong after all.

Re:Zero 1A

I can see why people like this. The take on these characters is ever-so-slightly unusual and Puck, in particular, is disarmingly maternal and reserved for a pet sidekick. A good thing because the "this isn't what I expected" meta commentary probably wouldn't fare well on its own, post-Konosuba.

Luluco 6

The credits might say otherwise but I feel that Imaishi has abandoned scripting at this point. He goes straight to storyboards drawn on his own body that the animators must copy in repeated glimpses as he runs naked around the Trigger offices screaming non-stop.

Kuromukuro - 02-05

Welp, turns out ugly looking CGI mechas still bore me to tears. But even with these mecha shenanigans aside I was quite let down by the rest. I was hoping that Kennosuke's introduction to modern society and living in Yukina's household would be where characterization and such shines. Instead the characters and comedy fell flat for me. It's very anime, too, what not with school girls being mecha pilot, one of whom already got groped and keeps calling Kennosuke hentai a bunch of times and so forth.

The larger story arc is already getting grating thanks to an abundant use of flashbacks, talk about Yukina's father and mentioning the term 'demon' a thousand times. Oni oni oni oni oni oni oni oni oni oni oni. Make them shut up please.

It does have some neat looking computer interfaces I guess, so, that's good! I'm out though. My impressions of the trailer weren't so wrong after all.

It's just your taste that's wrong.

Diamond is Unbreakable 06

This is one of the best parts about Part 4 - this Stand user isn't even all that dangerous, he's just a slimy piece of shit. Like imagine if he tried this on Jotaro or Josuke, he's just get the shit beaten out of him but because its little Koichi it actually works

And now the SFX has been weaponized! MENACING

pbayne

Kuromukuro - 02-05

Lol you got further than me but pretty much how i feel about the show too. Its a show i find myself wanting to like more than i actually find myself doing and i still think it has potential but eh. I see people talking about great dialogue and character dynamics...and i can't see it at all. The main two are very Dimension W's main couple, out of place angry guy who shouts down on meek, slightly eccentric girl, its not really an amazing or unique character dynamic.

Though i have to admit the "wench" line made me laugh.

Ascheroth

Re:Zero 1A

I can see why people like this. The take on these characters is ever-so-slightly unusual and Puck, in particular, is disarmingly maternal and reserved for a pet sidekick. A good thing because the "this isn't what I expected" meta commentary probably wouldn't fare well on its own, post-Konosuba.

Actually, the reason why most people like this hasn't even happened yet ;)

My tastes in things are usually wrong.

Save for One Punch Man.

That show is just okay.

I've done the research, factor analysis and all that.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Joker Game 5
Just as keikaku!
Just when you thought there's an enemy that could outwit D-agency, the d-agency manage to outwit them with super planning. I think this series could benefit by making each arc longer, just like the 1st and 2nd episode. I know this is not a character driven story, since we don't even know the spy real name, but it'll help if the situation is more interesting.

Note: keikaku mean plan.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 6:

Araki just had some deeply bad experiences with pets as a kid, that has to be the explanation to how he turned into such a monster.

Yowamushi Pedal 16

Not showing the episode title until the very end, when the "Breakthrough" was finally achieved, was a clever touch.

Onoda really is a strangely charismatic protagonist.

So far I've really been enjoying JoJo (of course), LuLuCo, Tonkatsu DJ, and what I've seen so far of Kiznaiver. Any other series recommended for me to check out?

blurr

Idolm@ster CG 12-13

That wraps up season 1.

There's general air of positivity in the show that I like, it's not about how much of a good idol you are or are more famous than someone else but how you overcome all the odds and become an idol. The three lead girls were likeable, particularly Shimamura's "Lesson Ganbarimasu" is something that stuck with me till the end. It's a thrill to see them practice or prepare for an event but we see little of it, it is afterall not about the art form itself but how they become an idol. The show peaked for me at episode 3 which is when they had their first live event, it had an amazing sense of tension and liberation. There were a few fun episodes later on but nothing stood out for me in particular. A large set of characters of varying ages was nice, everyone were cute.
KIRARI IS SO TALL IT'S ILLEGAL.
That being said, sometimes the show came off as silly despite sticking to its theme and positivity. Silly interms of how they overcome an issue or how the issue came to be in the first place. Towards the middle it turned into an episodic series focusing on a set of characters or just one, sometimes it falls short of relaying a satisfying conclusion or just frustrating to the end, other times it is just alright, drama isn't very intense. For example, Chieri is just too scared and shy to be an idol - I'm not sure how or why she ended up there in the first place but not that she shouldn't, just a lack of exposition made it seem frustrating. There's a Rock idol who doesn't know much about rock but at least they didn't delve in to that aspect of her - her pairing with Cat girl idol feels unjustified but that's passable, real problem is that they just end up living with it because they have no choice which again, in a sense is fine but it feels like an undeserved accomplishment. Little unsatisfying moments stacked up towards the end leaving penultimate and the final episode 'feel' underwhelming when they were actually pretty good.

My venture into Idol anime has been alright so far but it has to up its game.

I'm not sure what to expect in season 2.

I'm just saying what I think! Not to mention that - unless the script for episode 5, which I haven't seen yet, is nothing but "hentai" and "oni" - several of his criticisms are just flat-out wrong.

Agreed.

I haven't seen Kuromukuro and I don't mean to be offensive when I say this, but NDMGGs criticisms particularly grate on me because they generally don't make sense half the time and are often very generalizing and demeaning of a medium, mecha in particular.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 6

Well that was a much needed episode to sell me on Koichi's involvement in the show.

jman2050

Space patrol Luluco 6

So if this wins AOTY does that mean Kill la Kill gets its AOTY win by proxy?

This episode was just hilarious from start to finish.

Nothing but? She said it 3-4 times when once is too much.

There's only one instance of "hentai" that I can think of in the show so far, that being when Kennosuke was breaking out of prison (again) in episode 3 and accidentally groped a female soldier after she took him down in the hallway. Not that I'm a particular fan of that moment, but it's not like groping breasts is some obsession of the show. Also, Kennosuke's reaction was pretty amusing there.

blurr

That's been the common sentiment I've seen among anime aesthetes.

OPM is something I loved a lot. I can't really figure out why people didn't feel it(sure, subjectivity but why exactly) but it's slowly coming to light as I chug through the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom