• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I agree. As an ending it was fine. I really wanted more, but I understood what they were trying to do with the final episode and scene, so at the very least I didn't feel "cheated".

Hey buddy, welcome back! They give you 5 mins to actually post finally?

Quad, don't read this on Hyouka:

Everyone already killed me for wanting more from that scene. They teased the relationship the entire time
then it cones to pay-off time and create this absolutely beautiful scene, give you exactly what you think should be said right there, then make it just a dram/fantasy that is was actually said. Blah, don't be cute and highbrow leaving it for us to interpret that moment, let it play out organically... Yeah, it pissed me off because I wanted immediate affirmation of a new legit ship, but nope, they just couldn't pull the trigger; such a tease..

Alright going ahead a tell me I have a shit opinion team #hyoukaperfectending

If Her Flag Breaks ep.7
I'm not sure of everything that just happened right there, but it got real for a bit. This show is at its best when the tone is lighthearted, but there is definitely a darker background here. I'm still not sure why
the Organization sent Mai down to observe him, the wiped her memory when she tried to help him..
That damn loli Sakura!

Jarmel

Banned
Kuromukuro-5
IZYYqwp.jpg
Show is still pretty good. It's doing a fairly good job of maintaining that comedic atmosphere despite the shift in setting. PA Works has done solid work at making the characters feel energetic and so resemble actual people. For example seeing Mika, Yukina's friend, joke around and hug her at the school entrance does a good job of characterizing the relationship between the two. It's also worth noting that I was somewhat impressed the show did a callback to the reporter ambush in episode 4. It helps give a sense of continuity to the show. That said, they tend to go overboard on occasion, such as with the animation of the student counselor who comes off as overly spastic.
There were some clever jokes like setting up Ken using the electronic dictionary due to all the words he doesn't understand then reversing it and having Sophie make Yukina and Mika use the same dictionary. I'm also liking some of the expanded cast such as the butler with his deadpan expressions.
I still don't like some of the female character designs such as Sophie. Whatever, I can live with it. We'll see how the next episode goes but I'm generally feeling that I prefer the everyday life aspects over the action components.

manfestival

so I just finished watching aldnoah s2 after plowing through season 1 ages ago. I absolutely LOVED season 1 but season 2 really became a whole... seriously WHAT?

I only watched s2 to completion because I had already invested so much of my time to end this show. Seriously talk about plot devices the show. Dude went from being OP to being godmode. Really freaking stupid overall but I guess they couldnt come up with a better way to end the show given what they had created.

Your Lie in April - 6

I think this scene right here is a perfect example of this show's biggest problem. The comedy comes too fast too soon. One second Kaori comedically throws all the stuff off the piano, next second she's apologizing for the sorry state of the room, thinking of all the pain Kousei went through over the years, next second after that she's all fired up again and opens a window, leading to Tsubaki seeing her and a misunderstanding taking place.

It goes by so fast and just doesn't connect well and I can't as a human being physically switch emotions at the drop of a dime like that.

On the other hand, when this show manages to hold its horses with the comedy bits like it did in the later parts of this episode, it's honestly pretty good. Tsubaki's jealousy might be coming in a bit too fast, but I think that's just a nitpick on my part because I feel that the execution of it was good in the latter half of this episode.

So now we've got some rivals coming up in the competition and they seem to be holding grudges. I hate to say this, but after watching shows like Danball Senki and Gundam Build Fighters I can't say I'm particularly fond of the main rivals in the competition only consisting of those two acting like douches.

In the two shows I mentioned, the competition was balanced out with friends participating as well as enemies. When they inevitably had to fight (moreso in GBF's case), you could really feel the passion for their craft in those shows. It was something more than just squaring off against a villain.

I may be getting ahead of myself and jumping to conclusions too early, but those two at the end there didn't exactly give off a vibe that they'd be friendly rivals.

Your Lie in April is excellent as an absolutely faithful rendition of the manga; the problem is that it consequently doesn't fix any of the wild tone swings of the manga that continually damage the storytelling.

Cornbread78

He does a little, but Shinji's situation is shit and his dad is even shittier than that

I can't wait to see his reaction to the final episode.....

And Nintendoman is watching Your Lie in April. .... My goodness, I can't wait to see both endgame reactions. ..

JulianImp

Hundred #6
It looks like whoever was in charge of the script went to TVTropes and tried to cram as many tropes as possible in each and every single episode. At least all these bad anime tropes together make the show so bad it's good, but I honestly don't unerstand how someone could come up with a script as generic as this show's.

Barakamon #7
Still good, but the mood whiplashes are a very real thing that detract from my enjoyment of the show. Naru tripping and spilling orange soda on the guy while he was pondering how he sould go about with his life after graduating was even lampshaded by him right after it happened, for crying out loud.

Your Lie in April is excellent as an absolutely faithful rendition of the manga; the problem is that it consequently doesn't fix any of the wild tone swings of the manga that continually damage the storytelling.

I get that impression as well. It's probably doing a great job at recreating and emphasizing scenes in the manga, but it's also emphasizing the not-so-good parts as well.

I imagine reading the manga, those parts are much easier to ignore, since you can just skim certain panels without the mood being affected all that much.

In anime form? It's not so easy.

JulianImp

I get that impression as well. It's probably doing a great job at recreating and emphasizing scenes in the manga, but it's also emphasizing the not-so-good parts as well.

I imagine reading the manga, those parts are much easier to ignore, since you can just skim certain panels without the mood being affected all that much.

In anime form? It's not so easy.

Seriously. KimiUso still does lots of good things, but I'll be damned if I didn't hate the slapstick and sudden mood changes.

I don't want to spoil things, but I did like Arima's rivals for the most part.

Your Lie in April - 6

So now we've got some rivals coming up in the competition and they seem to be holding grudges. I hate to say this, but after watching shows like Danball Senki and Gundam Build Fighters I can't say I'm particularly fond of the main rivals in the competition only consisting of those two acting like douches.

In the two shows I mentioned, the competition was balanced out with friends participating as well as enemies. When they inevitably had to fight (moreso in GBF's case), you could really feel the passion for their craft in those shows. It was something more than just squaring off against a villain.

I dont understand this it seems like odd thing to compare oftentimes physical mechanical rivalry fights to a solo music based competition that is based on judges determination. To get what you want, you would need to change the very nature of the music competition.

I dont understand this it seems like odd thing to compare oftentimes physical mechanical rivalry fights to a solo music based competition that is based on judges determination. To get what you want, you would need to change the very nature of the music competition.

I admit it may seem like an odd comparison, but I'm talking about the character relationship aspect of it.

Kousei and Kaori are entering the tournament. They don't have any other friends they know that are also entering. The only rivals I know were those two at the end of that episode and I get the impression that they're going to be built up as major villains in it.

If Tsubaki and Ryouta could play and enter the competition as well, then there'd be friendly rivals to balance out the villain rivals.

But again, I may be getting a bit ahead of myself and jumping to conclusions. The show might still surprise me.

Gundam Wing 05

Man this show is pretty bad. And not even in a fun way, really. Everyone is a moron and its frustrating to watch, compound that with me having no idea why anyone is doing anything and every scene with Relena (queen dumbass in a kingdom of idiots) makes me want to want to stop watching.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Season III Episode 6:

Not much to this week;s episode honestly but it is nice that Jupiter got to shine a bit since she is a guardian that goes underutilized no matter what the incarnation.

Clov

For anyone who's interested in Sentai's BD release of Higurashi Kai, apparently there's some sort of framerate problem on episodes 10 and 16. Sentai is claiming that these were present in the Japanese BD masters.

Cornbread78

White Album ep.13
This show has the craziest melodrama I think I've encountered from every direction possible. The MC (Touya) gets to go to his GF's (ex-GF's?) concert and she kills it and finally gets to see him for about 2 mins afterwards but she gets ushered away and they plan to talk later since she hasn't been able to talk to or see him, them a bunch of stuff happens with about 4 of the "other girls" in his life,including the innocent issue with the middle school girl he tutors and the childhood friend.. This is out there stuff...

Danball Senki W - 14

Man, the fight choreography in this has really improved from the last series, and the last series was pretty competent as well with the CG robot fights.

The Ran.V.S. Hiro fight was super exciting to watch. This show does a great job at making the tournaments unpredictable and fun.

Gundam Build Fighters 1

Even after playing Little Battlers Experience, I can't say I really share these folks' enthusiasm for Gunpla (partially because I'll never have that kind of enthusiasm for the Gundam franchise in general). But this is still entertaining to watch because the personalities of the characters are inviting, the action is well-directed and animated, and that soundtrack, mmm. Hayashi's work in Haikyuu and My Hero Academia, as good as it can be, feels more conservative in its "inspirational" style than the stylistic variety present in just this opening episode (orchestral, electronica, rap, country, etc.).

Cornbread78

White Album ep.14
Everyone is so miserable right now it's terrible. The MC gets told to fuck off by one of his girls, lol... Then since he can't see his GF he loves so much, he bangs her manager in the hospital instead as a "replacement" it's laughably terribad right now. Everyone sucks...

Danball Senki W 31-32

RIP Alan Rickman, He only lived to episode 32.

And more twists unravel, the true mastermind behind Omegadyne conspiracies. All over some fucking toys.

He does a little, but Shinji's situation is shit and his dad is even shittier than that

I got that much. His dad isn't winning any Father of the Year awards based off what I know of him so far. It was a small nitpick based on a character I know very little about. I probably jumped the gun a little too soon to make that statement. Honestly, it was more me trying to find something to talk about based on my first impression on the first episode.

Hey buddy, welcome back! They give you 5 mins to actually post finally?

Quad, don't read this on Hyouka:

Everyone already killed me for wanting more from that scene. They teased the relationship the entire time
then it cones to pay-off time and create this absolutely beautiful scene, give you exactly what you think should be said right there, then make it just a dram/fantasy that is was actually said. Blah, don't be cute and highbrow leaving it for us to interpret that moment, let it play out organically... Yeah, it pissed me off because I wanted immediate affirmation of a new legit ship, but nope, they just couldn't pull the trigger; such a tease..

Alright going ahead a tell me I have a shit opinion team #hyoukaperfectending

If Her Flag Breaks ep.7
I'm not sure of everything that just happened right there, but it got real for a bit. This show is at its best when the tone is lighthearted, but there is definitely a darker background here. I'm still not sure why
the Organization sent Mai down to observe him, the wiped her memory when she tried to help him..
That damn loli Sakura!

I just came back to really post about Evangelion, as this is the last series in my watchbet with Nintendoman. (First being Jojo and the other being Steins;Gate)

May stay longer, but who knows. I get really busy next week. Hopefully I can continue posting when I can. Until then, keep the Your Lie in Apirl and Clannad love rolling. ;P

Your Lie in April - 6

I think this scene right here is a perfect example of this show's biggest problem. The comedy comes too fast too soon. One second Kaori comedically throws all the stuff off the piano, next second she's apologizing for the sorry state of the room, thinking of all the pain Kousei went through over the years, next second after that she's all fired up again and opens a window, leading to Tsubaki seeing her and a misunderstanding taking place.

It goes by so fast and just doesn't connect well and I can't as a human being physically switch emotions at the drop of a dime like that.

On the other hand, when this show manages to hold its horses with the comedy bits like it did in the later parts of this episode, it's honestly pretty good. Tsubaki's jealousy might be coming in a bit too fast, but I think that's just a nitpick on my part because I feel that the execution of it was good in the latter half of this episode.

I may be getting ahead of myself and jumping to conclusions too early, but those two at the end there didn't exactly give off a vibe that they'd be friendly rivals.

It gets better as the show goes on and the tone in scenes becomes more consistent. The mood swings usually come from Kaori anyways because of her character. So I not really sure how to alleviate that issue for you without spoiling anything. Just keep going.

And I would keep watching before jumping to any major conclusions about certain characters. :p

(You will regret your words and deeds. Or maybe not. I don't know. Hahaha.)

I can't wait to see his reaction to the final episode.....

And Nintendoman is watching Your Lie in April. .... My goodness, I can't wait to see both endgame reactions. ..

I am interested what he thinks about the show overall, although, I know it was a hard sell on my part. I recommended other shows that aren't as dramatic as the shows I typically like. So I tried to sanwhich the show between two other amazing shows (Hyouka and Chihiyafuru).

I am interested how I will take Evangelion too.

This may just be because I watch anime with a different mindset but I didn't mind scenes like those because -- I thought -- they sort of encapsulated what Kaori's character is.

===========

And I would start another episode of Evangelion now but my digital copy of Uncharted 4 just unlocked and I really want to play it. So maybe tomorrow. ;)

Jintor

i can't be bothered looking for it right now, but i hope there's a page out there somewhere on the internet that just has four categories: best anime dad, best anime mum, worst anime dad, worst anime mum. and just an endless fight to claim the title.

Gundam Wing 05

Man this show is pretty bad. And not even in a fun way, really. Everyone is a moron and its frustrating to watch, compound that with me having no idea why anyone is doing anything and every scene with Relena (queen dumbass in a kingdom of idiots) makes me want to want to stop watching.

I'd recommend quitting now while you're ahead MPR. Dub antics aside, it doesn't get much better as it progresses.

I've been on an anime binge lately, so I thought I would start three still running shows and catch up on them if I like them enough.

Assassination Classroom 1-2

I'm mixed on this so far. The humor is alright, the animation is bland, and I really can't stand the main kid. I still am intrigued by the idea of it. Maybe I'm looking for more plot than the show will ever provide though. If the idea is that I'm supposed to find it heart warming, this show may not be for me.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan 1-2

Two eps in it's a bit dry, but I think I like that about it. Second ep ended with some enjoyable betrayal and bloodshed. I look forward to seeing what this show becomes, as I really have no idea.

Food Wars 1-3

I too had no idea what to expect from this show, but I really love the cooking animations and recipes. I like the shonen like setup. I would be fine without the taste orgasms. I'm in for the long haul just because this is my first cooking focused anime(I'm sure there's others!)

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1 [Watchbet] [Start]

It's hard to formulate any sort of steadfast opinion off this first episode. To be honest I am still decompressing what happened in the first episode. The show throws you in fast with little explaination. Which is fine. I am sure they will explain at least some things going on in the near future. I will commend the animation. I've neither loved nor hated 90's animation style. It was just something always there that never really affected me greatly. However, I really do like the animations in this show and they are done well in this first episode. Production values are definitely there.

I think the only real complaint I had with this episode was Shinji. He's kind of a whiney kid. The show never spent any time to make me relate or emphathise with Shinji and his relationship with his father so the whole crying sequence in front of the
Eva
didn't feel deserved and I mostly cringed at that part. It could be looked at as a strength if you look at it from the perspective of them wanting to get the story going quickly. It's a nitpick to be sure, but it was a small thing I wasn't thrilled about.

I guess we'll see what happens as we go on, but it definitely has me intrigued. Also strangely enough, it makes me really want to finish Code Geass and finish the second season. Hahaha.

8sAHZfY.gif

This episode and people's reactions to Shinji remains one of the best taste indicators.

Line_HTX

Hundred episode 6

Every shitty LN adaptation needs to have engurish words to sound coorrruru

Turace on

Then of course all of the bad guys need to give their attacks/weapons some edgy ass name

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WERE ABLE TO DEFLECT MY DEVIL'S SWORD BLACK FLAME DRAGON CYCLONE OF KNIVES AND CHAINSAWS ATTACK"

And they all laughed like madmen while being cocky, as is expected of shitty just arrived rivals.

Then the episode ends with all of the girls basically screaming

"NO MY EGGS ARE BEING PLACED, THE PENIS IS MINE"

"MY OVARIES DEMAND THE PENIS"

"KEEP YOUR FILTHY HANDS, HAYATO'S PENIS WILL BE MINE"

it's redunk. 10/10 would Hayato wakes up with girl on top of him and every other girl who wants to fuck him enters his room at the exact same time he wakes up for a hilarious misunderstanding again

BAH GAWD, this description!

:lol

8sAHZfY.gif

This episode and people's reactions to Shinji remains one of the best taste indicators.

I am not sure how to take that comment. Like I said before it was a small nitpick based on the little I have seen of Evangelion so far. I watched the dub which nintendoman indicated to me was the wrong option to go for this series, so when I get to episode two I will be watching it subbed. Like I said it was a small nitpick and I am not subscribed to the idea that is what his character predominantly is. Yet.

Edit: Actually, I read my post and should probably clarify, as I think people are getting the wrong impression. I really liked the first episode. I was really just nitpicking because I really had nothing of real consequence to discuss and was just laying out my current worries and nitpicks I have. Like I said in my first post, I am not steadfast in this opinion as this is just the first episode and I may have a different opinion as I acrue more information as I watch more. Obviously, I don't know the whole story yet and need to see more before I really start formulating any real opinions on the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom