• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbayne

So did anyone watch patema inverted. From the description it sounds good but I'm wondering on how other peoples impression on it are.

Its pretty unremarkable really. Not bad but not really good at anything either.

Welcome to the NHK - 4

The animation seemed really rough this episode, character proportions were all wrong at times too. Not too fond of this episode since it covers more on otaku culture and gal games but next episode seems like it'll be plenty interesting with the introduction of Satou's old classmate.

Lol i know exactly what you mean. This may be reading way to much into it but i think those scenes are supposed to look awful since it follows Satou and Yamazaki's conversation about how difficult it is to make an anime/game, so its a bit of a meta joke by the anime staff maybe, because i don't think the show has those kinds of animation problems for the rest of the show.

Gundam SEED Destiny 05

For a supposed main character, Shinn doesn't really get many scenes except him being mad. Not that I dislike that since I'm usually all for character conflict within the protagonist side, but he needs some more stuff than just being angry all the time.

zulux21

Food Wars 1-3

I too had no idea what to expect from this show, but I really love the cooking animations and recipes. I like the shonen like setup. I would be fine without the taste orgasms. I'm in for the long haul just because this is my first cooking focused anime(I'm sure there's others!)

first off they are Foodgasms* not taste orgasms :p

second, they are going to stick around, but they get more tasteful in general. The first few eps are by far the worst of the series.

but yeah there are others, like yakitate japan (which is best watched after you have a decent amount of shonen under your belt because it's a parody of shonen series.)

i watched all of now and then, here and there today since it is expiring on hulu in a day. I want to say that it was good but at a point i feel that they were trying too hard at layering the heinous shitcake. So much so that certain parts had me rolling my eyes. The real kicker was the "10min solution" ending.

Strong concept just poorly executed.

Quasar

Kuromukuro 1 - Finally got access back to netflix Japan so I can finally watch. God I hate white subs. Unreadable. Interesting first episode otherwise. PA Works doing a mechish show is interesting, Its like the first time I've seen anything like this before from them.

blurr

Hey buddy, welcome back! They give you 5 mins to actually post finally?

Quad, don't read this on Hyouka:

Everyone already killed me for wanting more from that scene. They teased the relationship the entire time
then it cones to pay-off time and create this absolutely beautiful scene, give you exactly what you think should be said right there, then make it just a dram/fantasy that is was actually said. Blah, don't be cute and highbrow leaving it for us to interpret that moment, let it play out organically... Yeah, it pissed me off because I wanted immediate affirmation of a new legit ship, but nope, they just couldn't pull the trigger; such a tease..

Alright going ahead a tell me I have a shit opinion team #hyoukaperfectending

I think the final scene
has more to do with the social construct of JP societies when it comes to relationships, Chitanda is from an upper class family which is pretty evident through out the show and this is specifically underlined in the last episode. As such, marrying Oreki would mean that Chitanda married below her, to circumvent this he will have to get adopted into her family to claim equal stature which is something I can't imagine happening with the tone and style of the show. This is the reason I think the romance subplot is reminiscent of Indian films (particularly ones in my region), many have dabbled on the same setting.

In a sense you could say the whole procession was symbolic of this situation.

Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? 1-4

I started this up having already read the first two novels, and maybe it's just because I'm kind of a slow reader, but it really feels like the anime is kind of rushing things just a bit. I know the lack of prose would make quite a bit of difference but it feels like there's quite a bit of exposition that is left out completely, and a few scenes were shortened quite a bit, like at the end of episode 4 with Freya followed by Aiz in the dungeon, both just kind of felt tacked on and didn't have much context to them, and if I hadn't already read before hand they wouldn't have made much sense. Maybe it's just because this is the first time I've actually read the light novel for a series before seeing any of the anime but it feels like too much is being trimmed out for time. Not that the series really has much depth as a novel but the anime makes everything seem even more shallow by comparison. I have a feeling if I read more LN series I'd probably find a lot more adaptations disappointing than I already do.

DiGiKerot

So did anyone watch patema inverted. From the description it sounds good but I'm wondering on how other peoples impression on it are.

It's pretty OK. Most of its issues pertain to its antagonist being a wafer-thin, moustache-twirling despot. Otherwise, it's got a pretty good sense of humour, some real cute visual touches to the setting, and has some really nice, weird cinematography. It's arguably the weakest thing Yoshiura has directed, but that's more to do with the real high bar that he set himself with Time of Eve than Patema necessarily being bad. It's certainly worth a peek, anyway.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kabaneri 4
So many stills. I know i can't expect quality like the first one, but it is a bit of a shame that many scene that could benefit from moving picture is just a stills.
Let's hope WIT studio can bounce back in the next episode.

Shounen Hollywood (first season)

So, finally finished this one. It's quite competently directed and offers some unique episodes, too, where for instance the entire episode takes play in a TV music show you watch. I appreciate the realistic take on the subject matter and the characterization is good.

Yet, I find this entire idol topic is so uninteresting that nothing ever really resonated with me. I mean, my favorite moment is probably when Kakeru's sister furiously interrupts him practicing awkward-ass idol lines. All that had a pretty nice pay-off at the end, by the way.

I'm not completely sure though if I'd say no show about idols could work for me at all. While I do think this one was competently directed, I'm not sure if a different, maybe more stylized approach could've worked.

duckroll

Kuromukuro 1 - Finally got access back to netflix Japan so I can finally watch. God I hate white subs. Unreadable. Interesting first episode otherwise. PA Works doing a mechish show is interesting, Its like the first time I've seen anything like this before from them.

White subs without outlines?

Quasar

White subs without outlines?

Yeah.

Anytime the animation is light coloured the subs basically vanish.

I have a similar issue with the DramaFever app on AppleTV but they are black with no outlines which causes them to almost vanish at times.

Speaking of which Kuromukuro...starting with episode 5 the english subs are gone. Japanese subs only. Or at least on episode 5. And I'm now wondering if the show is turning into Full Metal Panic Fumoffu with Kennosuke as Sousuke.

Quasar

White subs no outlines is my standard setting on hulu and youtube. Its the only way to have the subs not be distracting.

How do you read them on light/white backgrounds? They are just invisible to me. Same thing with pure black on dark backgrounds.

And checking the iOS netflix app, they solve the problem by having the white subs in a semi-translucent back box.
The AppleTV app doesnt do that for some reason.

Jintor

subs are going to be distracting no matter what you do because you're focusing half your attention at the bottom third of the screen

(though obvs there's better and worse ways of displaying subs)

Clov

I find that white subs with black outlines don't distract me from the rest of the picture too much. What annoys me are yellow subs. So ugly! Especially the ones that Sentai and Maiden Japan use on their releases. They're just big and unsightly. I think they made them smaller in later releases.

One of my favorite authoring mistakes that Sentai's made is related to their subtitles actually; across both discs on the Hidamari Sketch x365 BDs, the subtitles are white instead of their usual yellow. They ended up looking so much better that way! Of course, they're back to yellow in later Hidamari releases, so it's not consistent unfortunately.

Some other interesting subtitle presentations I've seen; on Aniplex's of America's Madoka BDs, the subs are this weird, thin greyish font. Not terrible looking, but definitely an unusual choice. There's also AnimEigo's multicolor subs, where different colors are used for different characters. Just like how a lot of old fansubs did it! Apparently it's very annoying to author those on a BD, so I wonder if they'll be back for their Otaku no Video release?

Shounen Hollywood

So, finally finished this one. It's quite competently directed and offers some unique episodes, too, where for instance the entire episode takes play in a TV music show you watch. I appreciate the realistic take on the subject matter and the characterization is good.

Yet, I find this entire idol topic is so uninteresting that nothing ever really resonated with me. I mean, my favorite moment is probably when Kakeru's sister furiously interrupts him practicing awkward-ass idol lines. All that had a pretty nice pay-off at the end, by the way.

I'm not completely sure though if I'd say no show about idols could work for me at all. While I do think this one was competently directed, I'm not sure if a different, maybe more stylized approach could've worked.

What I appreciated about Shounen Hollywood was how it used the idol setting to explore general themes of dreams and figuring out yourself and your future, themes that are applicable to anyone, not just idols. The writing was really interesting in that regard and I could feel that it was written by a novelist instead of a scriptwriter, which gave it a unique quality. The portrayal of the older Shounen Hollywood group, who had gone their separate ways and were all pursuing different careers and life paths, was neat as well. It was just an effective character drama and thematic exploration.

Thoraxes

I just have a really fast reading speed, so I never really think about looking at the subs, so to speak.

It's like breathing or blinking to me.

Jintor

I just have a really fast reading speed, so I never really think about looking at the subs, so to speak.

It's like breathing or blinking to me.

That's how good subs should be! You don't even notice you're reading them.

yeah, you don't think you do, but watching k-on without subs is really giving me a different feel (though obvs dubs isn't great either and watching raws isn't everybody's first choice). It's just interesting how they tend to draw your eye away from the rest of the scene and I hadn't really noticed up until now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A real sub problem is the lack of proper English dub subs.

Often when you switch to the English dub (yes, I realise what I'm talking about is a heretical situation) the only subs available will be the same ones they use for the Japanese dub so the words on screen and the words coming out of the characters' mouths don't match at all.

T-Rex.

Banned

Often when you switch to the English dub (yes, I realise what I'm talking about is a heretical situation) the only subs available will be the same ones they use for the Japanese dub so the words on screen and the words coming out of the characters' mouths don't match at all.
Yes, I hate this. I can't watch shows without subtitles on and when this happens it's just so distracting.

Clov

Warner Bros has your back with their Jojo's release!

There is a distinct lack of closed captioning in more "proper" anime releases though. Most anime companies don't think it's worth the effort.

Quasar

I though the dub sub issue was with some titles the english subs for a japanese soundtrack being the transcript of the english dub.

I was thinking to myself last night, "why do I enjoy Kuromukuro so much?" and I think it's because of how much it reminds me of Gargantia. You don't have the same level of colors in the world, but the characters and the whole "protagonist that is an outcast in this society" just sort of click with me. Also, robot with katana, need I say more? The show is actually pretty damn good. I'm glad I picked it up since watching those 5 episodes back to back has made this show be in my top 3 for the season so far.

Clov

I though the dub sub issue was with some titles the english subs for a japanese soundtrack being the transcript of the english dub.

Those are "dubtitles". It's usually companies that don't do a lot of anime releases that end up releasing titles like that (Disney with certain Ghibli films, Warner Bros with Jojo's, etc).

I was thinking to myself last night, "why do I enjoy Kuromukuro so much?" and I think it's because of how much it reminds me of Gargantia. You don't have the same level of colors in the world, but the characters and the whole "protagonist that is an outcast in this society" just sort of click with me. Also, robot with katana, need I say more? The show is actually pretty damn good. I'm glad I picked it up since watching those 5 episodes back to back has made this show be in my top 3 for the season so far.

If you enjoyed the "fish out of water" story when it comes to mecha, I think you'll definetly enjoy Full Metal Panic, since the story in that is about a teenager who's been war soldier his entire life experiencing high school life for the first time. It's really funny and the mecha action (particularly in Kyoani's The Second Raid) is fantastic.

Narag

Assuming it's the same across all regions and they're not hardsubbed here which would be silly for Netflix Japan, you should be able to pick your subtitle options (color/size/borders) in your settings.

phaze

Mutha lovin'

STONER SUNSHINE.

OVA is worth it for that one moment. One of the GOAT super robot finishers.

As for Saotome, again, I recommend checking out the manga to understand him better. Or New Getter Robo, which from what I understand follows more closely to the original manga.

I think I largely got it with that ending, though I'm not sure why the Invaders needed to go so far in impersonating him. Or like, why impersonate him at all.

Aliens ! Is the answer I guess.

Amagami SS + 13 END
YqO3beq.jpg
nYMIP7A.jpg

Dat character development.

- Stalker didn't get an episode to herself. Absolutelydisgusting.jpg

- Miya is the biggest pervert and bully in this show. It's a wonder she's not locked up yet.

- Maybe it's cause her damn laughter is freaking addicting and adorable.

Overall, an improvement over the first season I'd say, the already established relationships made it possible to avoid some, though not all, writing excesses of its predecessor and the quicker pace also helped.

Arcs ranking: Tsukasa > Kaoru > Nagasaki=Rihoko>Haruka>Sae

waifuGirls ranking Tsukasa > Kaoru= Nagasaki >Rihoko=Haruka>Sae

Quasar

Assuming it's the same across all regions and they're not hardsubbed here which would be silly for Netflix Japan, you should be able to pick your subtitle options (color/size/borders) in your settings.

Not in any netflix app I've tried. Maybe you can in a browser though.

Quasar

Amagami SS + 13 END

- Stalker didn't get an episode to herself. Absolutelydisgusting.jpg

- Miya is the biggest pervert and bully in this show. It's a wonder she's not locked up yet.

- Maybe it's cause her damn laughter is freaking addicting and adorable.

Arcs ranking: Tsukasa > Kaoru > Nagasaki=Rin>Haruka>Sae

waifuGirls ranking Tsukasa > Kaoru= Nagasaki >Rin=Haruka>Sae

And her meat-bun addiction.

Haruka is still my favourite. Though both Ai and Kaoru are up there.

Narag

Not in any netflix app I've tried. Maybe you can in a browser though.

Yeah it's a setting you mess with in your web settings that affects all device playback. I've had to change subs around fin the past for the same reasons you brought up above.

2VjZgGC.png

If you enjoyed the "fish out of water" story when it comes to mecha, I think you'll definetly enjoy Full Metal Panic, since the story in that is about a teenager who's been war soldier his entire life experiencing high school life for the first time. It's really funny and the mecha action (particularly in Kyoani's The Second Raid) is fantastic.

I've actually asked about this show in the past, and I've always been curious about it. I will put this on my list, thanks!

Cornbread78

White Album ep.15
Nice, even the MC's father is now getting in on the drama.... At least he kisses his girlfriend, too bad it's the same mouth that was all over her manager the night before (funny how she was chaperoning the visit between the two love birds.... Oh wait, more drama to come since the company pres. saw her manager pick him up the next morning. I can't even, lol.

jgminto

Shounen Hollywood

I think the subdued visual style contributed quite a bit to the genuine atmosphere the show creates. It doesn't feel like you're watching the face of a professional idol group that was designed from the ground up already, this is a group of young men who are largely new to show business and are still exploring their stage personas and what being an idol means for them. Then you have the stunning musical episode which wouldn't work half as well with an extremely flashy production, they actually captured the atmosphere of a live musical production on a small stage and the simplicity of the direction aided that.

I think the subdued visual style contributed quite a bit to the genuine atmosphere the show creates. It doesn't feel like you're watching the face of a professional idol group that was designed from the ground up already, this is a group of young men who are largely new to show business and are still exploring their stage personas and what being an idol means for them. Then you have the stunning musical episode which wouldn't work half as well with an extremely flashy production, they actually captured the atmosphere of a live musical production on a small stage and the simplicity of the direction aided that.

Yeh that episode was real good. Was a bit disappointed I didn't get another like that at the end. The TV episode was neat but not on the same level.

Yeh that episode was real good. Was a bit disappointed I didn't get another like that at the end. The TV episode was neat but not on the same level.

Eh? The very last episode of the show is entirely one of the music show productions the group stages at Hollywood Tokyo. Unless you didn't watch the second season (Holly Stage for 50), which now that I look at your impressions seems likely.

Eh? The very last episode of the show is entirely one of the music show productions the group stages at Hollywood Tokyo. Unless you didn't watch the second season (Holly Stage for 50), which now that I look at your impressions seems likely.

Oh yeh, I haven't. I should probably clarify that. Guess this is one of the shows where second season is more like second half.

Re:Zero 1B-3

The majority of 1B is spent waiting for everyone to die while the show pretends that might not happen, presenting a careless comment as the trigger for the scenario taking a turn for the worst when no such trigger was necessary originally. Subaru is slow to grok his situation and seemingly doesn't consider that he's sitting in a future crime scene for the entire episode (would an isekai transportation not broaden the range of possibilities a person would be willing to consider or accept?) or recognise Elsa's voice when she arrives at the loot house; later information makes it likely this was glossed over because any recognition of Elsa would trigger her emotion radar, leading to a quicker ending to the scene than was desired. Repeated trips into the same alley lead to nothing but a character introduction that proves irrelevant beyond functioning as an intro. The most meaningful effect Subaru has on anything outside of the loot house (though likely still unintentionally) is in calling out Felt's name during the theft, allowing Satella to successfully track her to the loot house due to being aware of who stole her insignia that time; unfortunately that too seems to have been necessary for her to be in danger so Subaru could save her, despite her being decidedly more capable a fighter (she shielded herself previously, why not now?). For Felt too, he bravely offers to provide a distraction while she bolts for the door, while the show casually ignores the fact she has a wind blessing and really shouldn't need any help either. The action animation when things do finally resolve through combat is quite enjoyable, with some unusual FX and camera tricks but it struggles to carry the pay-off burden alone.
Unless the MC begins to contribute more intentionally and in a less "I'll save you" manner, I don't see this show offering much more than a gimmick veneer on the usual self-insert fantasy, albeit with better action than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom