• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

Ushio to Tora Season 2 - Ep. 1
Pretty good start. The main villain surely doesn't waste anytime.

Kuma Miko - Ep. 1
It's was pretty funny, but I'm not entierly sold on this show yet.

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - Ep. 1a and b
That was painful to watch. The main character alone is enough reason to drop this show without looking bad.

Jintor

Well I can see why it's well received around here. Not really feeling it but short enough to see through to the end.

if each galko chan episode was 30 minutes it would long-outstay its welcome, but it's the perfect length as a short.

Why the hell doesn't crunchy have a category for 10-15 min anime tho

Charlotte 1-7....
Then episode 7 happened. Are you fucking kidding me? I was at least invested in it up to the point where he started doing the evil laugh when playing arcade games, and from there they were definitely trying too hard with this part...

Yeah the arcade was weak but the parts before that with the gradual withdrawal from everybody, the failure of even his 'lost love' to reach him were well done. Using a light gun game as a catalyst for his descent into violence and self-destruction was at best awkward but I'm going to blame the 13 episode structure for a need to push him to that end quickly. There's at least one more good episode, where it continues to show him struggling, before it started to go off the rails for me with it's later plot developments.

Galko-chan 1

Well I can see why it's well received around here. Not really feeling it but short enough to see through to the end.

Yeah I just finished this one myself, perfect length for a quick viewing while waiting for a bus/etc. I really liked this it's strange how well this amalgam of sexual health information films and comedy works but work it does. Galko and Otako were well rounded I felt perhaps they neglected to do much with the airhead character but when the other two are better rounded than most MCs I'm not going to complain too much

the last episode kinda acknowledges that in a pretty funny way i thought.

that was all roughly 1 season from the book and there's 3 published, so they got room to move

Great news! I do hope this gets at least another season

Jintor

the last episode kinda acknowledges that in a pretty funny way i thought.

that was all roughly 1 season from the book and there's 3 published, so they got room to move

Branduil

duckroll

WOW at the AoT bit. No wonder that was such a production disaster. Do you think Studio WIT pushing to move to digital has anything to do with the delay for season 2?

I dunno, but I think the most obvious cause of any delay for season 2 would be the fact that they're making Attack on Train first. Lol. Will be interesting to see if they have incorporated any of those digital techniques in Attack on Train.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
FLCL was a practise in digital animation or something like that right?

Funny to hear studios still haven't done the transition.

Then again Japan still uses fax machines and mini discs like they're the latest thing.

Araka Under the Bridge - 01

Would you look at this, it's good. And I can safely say that not enjoying this show by starting with season 2 is no surprise considering how god damn much vital information this episode introduced. I mean, apparently these people are simply cray-cray instead of actual aliens or whatever kind of amalgamation I thought until now q_q

T'was rather funny. Who would've thought comedy actually required proper context, huh!

CJHzjGj.png

Cornbread78

Charlotte 1-7

So, the premise itself started off kind of interesting, although it would have been better if Yu's story at the beginning had been a full episode instead of an infodump. Once he gets transferred and the main story really begins, I can definitely see the potential it had, but it didn't really live up to it by wasting time with inessential Characters after Yusarin's episode. I wouldn't have thought of those episodes as being a waste of time if this was a longer show, but knowing it was only a 13 episode series I couldn't help but think the whole time those episodes would have been better spent introducing or having more substantial development for the main characters beyond the few scenes in each episode. I can't say I completely disliked them though since I find the characters amusing enough so far. Ep 6 seemed like a step in the right direction by focusing on someone close to the main cast, or someone who seemed like she was about to be moved up to being a main cast member...

Then episode 7 happened. Are you fucking kidding me? I was at least invested in it up to the point where he started doing the evil laugh when playing arcade games, and from there they were definitely trying too hard with this part...

I think I'm the only one that actually liked Charlotte despite its pacing issues, but yeah, it cleary should have been 24 episodes to further flesh out Yuu an Nao more on top of other things. That Yuu x Nao moment at the end of ep.7 was actually pretty good and serves as a reminder later in the show. I learned in the OT the drugs are very very poorly looked upon in Japan, which didn't carry over very clearly to western audiences.

Kansoku

What the hell MAL?
On Friday I get an email from then saying that an anime from my plan to watch aired on march 30. The anime? Working!!! Lord of Takanashi. Not only it had already aired way earlier than that but it was already in my Completed anime ages ago.

Then on Saturday, hours after I put Gyakuten Saiban directly on my Watching list (aka, I had never EVER put it on PtW) I get the same email saying it aired on that day. Funny enough this haven't happened with Mayoiga which I put on the Watching list at the same time.

Then today I wake up and see another email saying Boku no Hero and Kuma Miko had aired yesterday, and like with Gyakuten and Mayoiga I had put directly on the Watching list.

Is this an extended april fools joke or what? geez

Charlotte 8-13

Alright, I'll say episode 7 had be a bit worried on how things would turn out but overall I really enjoyed this series. Although some aspects definitely need to be more fleshed out, I really enjoyed the direction the story took at the end. The biggest flaw it had for sure was it's pacing, mainly due to being a bit too ambitious of a story for a 13 episode series. Basically like Angel Beats, I'd say this show essentially managed to be less than the sum of it's parts. The setting, premise, characters, and overall plot were all pretty interesting to see unfold, and each episode aside from the 7th I felt did a good enough job getting things going, but there just wasn't enough time to fully flesh out some aspects to make them all really satisfying, particularly the romance subplot which, while I could buy going on from Yu's side of things, felt kind of forced for Nao (aside from the one before the time leaping). I would have liked to see more from her side of things during the final episode, since it felt like it dragged on Yu's mission a bit too much. It was effective in the beginning but again, like episode 7, the bit with his maniacal laughter kind of killed it.

And like a few other series that I've finished recently, I saw that this one has an OVA as well, which seems to be just a random side story set during his student council time. This sort of things really pisses me off, if they're going to bother going back and add an episode I'd really prefer that it be some sort of epilogue to the series, not just some random nonsense in the middle. This, Angel Beats, Ano Natus, and Toradora all did this shit, plus Hanasaku Iroha with it's movie also being set at some other point during the series instead of after. Stop it Japan, I want to see more from after the story :(.

Crocodile

There's this kickstarter for a CG film (?) called Dai-Shogun – The Great Revolution being headed up Kazuya Sasahara (CAT SHIT ONE).

I use a question mark because its a bit unclear how much of the film they already have done - the kickstarter seems to be primarily for some VR animation but I guess stretch goals would be to extend the film but they use some complete CG cuts in the promo video so its clear they have some work done already. I'm a bit too uncertain about aspects of the project to want to donate (I could be missing something though) but Japan so rarely produces good CG in my experience that I would probably watch this if it became a full project so I figured others in here might be interested to learn about it. It's "anime" as fuck (alternate history Steampunk Japan with giant robots, lots of action and hot babes) but as I said the CG looks great and it probably looks like it would be a good popcorn film if it was ever completed.

duckroll

There's this kickstarter for a CG film (?) called Dai-Shogun – The Great Revolution being headed up Kazuya Sasahara (CAT SHIT ONE).

I use a question mark because its a bit unclear how much of the film they already have done - the kickstarter seems to be primarily for some VR animation but I guess stretch goals would be to extend the film but they use some complete CG cuts in the promo video so its clear they have some work done already. I'm a bit too uncertain about aspects of the project to want to donate (I could be missing something though) but Japan so rarely produces good CG in my experience that I would probably watch this if it became a full project so I figured others in here might be interested to learn about it. It's "anime" as fuck (alternate history Steampunk Japan with giant robots, lots of action and hot babes) but as I said the CG looks great and it probably looks like it would be a good popcorn film if it was ever completed.

200k for one minute of continuous CG 360 panorama VR mecha action sounds really low. I wonder if they already invested like 500k or more into it. Even for Japan, that's a low, low goal for CG animation.

Cornbread78

Charlotte 8-13
And like a few other series that I've finished recently, I saw that this one has an OVA as well, which seems to be just a random side story set during his student council time. This sort of things really pisses me off, if they're going to bother going back and add an episode I'd really prefer that it be some sort of epilogue to the series, not just some random nonsense in the middle. This, Angel Beats, Ano Natus, and Toradora all did this shit, plus Hanasaku Iroha with it's movie also being set at some other point during the series instead of after. Stop it Japan, I want to see more from after the story :(.

Yeah, the OVA just came out the other day (It was pretty good) but what makes the OVA worse is that it is exactly the stuff that should have aired during the season to make it 24 episodes. If Maeda and co really wanted to, they could put together another 12 episode "Charlotte" series filling all the blanks they skipped from more of Nao's story expanding on why she let herself get beat up? What the Student Council was doing while Yuu was traveling the world? What Yuu was doing when he was traveling the world? As well as further the relationship development between Nao and Yuu (which the OVA does) they really dropped the ball on this stuff by making this 12 episodes instead of really digging in.

Re:Zero: 1
Hmm. Will give this a few more episodes to see where it leads.
Thought the 1B (second half) was a lot stronger.

hhFRgzv.gif

ctyVA5m.gif

Stuff like the above had me very interested at the end of the first half of the episode, ,then the direction of the second half, I kinda got confused at the direction they were going to take..

KonoSuba 1-10
Holy shit, that was amazing. I regret not watching it as it was airing. S2 when?

Yes, yes, it is all good stuff, lol.

doop_

Banned
Yeah, the Charlotte OVA should have definitely been an episode in the actual series. It had so much potential but I still enjoyed it. It also have us the best OP that Season.

kewlmyc

Charlotte 8-13

Alright, I'll say episode 7 had be a bit worried on how things would turn out but overall I really enjoyed this series. Although some aspects definitely need to be more fleshed out, I really enjoyed the direction the story took at the end. The biggest flaw it had for sure was it's pacing, mainly due to being a bit too ambitious of a story for a 13 episode series. Basically like Angel Beats, I'd say this show essentially managed to be less than the sum of it's parts. The setting, premise, characters, and overall plot were all pretty interesting to see unfold, and each episode aside from the 7th I felt did a good enough job getting things going, but there just wasn't enough time to fully flesh out some aspects to make them all really satisfying, particularly the romance subplot which, while I could buy going on from Yu's side of things, felt kind of forced for Nao (aside from the one before the time leaping). I would have liked to see more from her side of things during the final episode, since it felt like it dragged on Yu's mission a bit too much. It was effective in the beginning but again, like episode 7, the bit with his maniacal laughter kind of killed it.

The OVA takes place in the middle of the series again? At least I know I can skip it now.

Sölf

Shin Sekai Yori 22-25 END
Pretty good show overall. I really liked the beginning and the second arc, but after the first time skip, when they all turned 14, the show became a bit dull, imo. While things started to slowly make sense by that point, somehow I didn't enjoy it as much as the first and third part. And man, Squealer was a really great character.

Cornbread78

Yeah, the Charlotte OVA should have definitely been an episode in the actual series. It had so much potential but I still enjoyed it. It also have us the best OP that Season.

Yeah, The pacing of the song, was odd, but Bravely You was still a really good tune and the visuals were nice in the OP:

xd3iSJs.gif
OjA6IGP.gif
t9mBIBH.gif

The OVA takes place in the middle of the series again? At least I know I can skip it now.

Yeah, it would have probably aired around episode 6 before the events at the end of that episode since all the other characters were introduced and they already had a little relationship built.

Cornbread78

My Hero Academia
SQDMHtn.gif

7rtaCH3.gif

Ok, I liked that a lot more than I thought I would. Although, I wish he at least punched that a$$hole in school in the face and then got his butt kicked. It was good background introduction as for his character and really explained his dispositions well. This should be an interesting watch.

JulianImp

Re:Zero #1-B
Oh wait, things actually got pretty interesting during the second part of the episode! Guess I'll add this to my watchlist and see where it goes from here.

The one thing that made little to no sense was how
the MC kept referencing game tropes early on, but as soon as he went back in time he gripped the idiot ball and hung to it like his life depended on it. He not even once considered that everyone coming back to life and that people he had just met no longer knew who he was wasn't odd at all for some inexplicable reason, rather than using his genre-savyness to say "oh, I guess I hit a game over and went back to my previous save".

Still, I don't understand why the heck CGI characters have to be animated in glorious 5fps or something at times. The models, textures and shaders don't look all that bad for background fodder, but the animations being so blocky makes them stand out in a really bad way.

Mokoi

Banned
Macross Delta-1
Read that there was a dancing VF, and was not disappointed. Will continue to watch for more dancing VFs.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 17

Finally getting back to this after putting it on hold for two months. This episode certainly helps me get back into it. Kudelia is finally getting involved and the mecha action scenes were quite enjoyable. Let's see where the series goes from here.

BluWacky

12 Years Old - The Pounding of a Tiny Heart 1

Are Japanese school children really so horrible that they'd make fun of a classmate for suffering from period pains? Seriously? They do wave it away with a cheesy apology, but...

Anyway, the reason this is one of the few shows that's not getting picked up for streaming is that it is a cutesy-ish shoujo romance about - unsurprisingly - 12 year olds. So aside from the period subplot ("getting your first period is a wonderful thing!" says the school nurse, before a mildly amusing trip to the pharmacy to buy sanitary towels...), everything else is glowing sunsets, first kisses, jealous classmates etc. but with characters about 5 inches shorter than usual.

I'm all for as much shoujo being animated as possible, but this is one of those times when I have to say I'm too old for this shit. This is a functional anime adaptation which adds little artistry (or animation), plays everything safe, and might hold a 12 year old girl's attention for a bit - although I suspect they'd rather just read the manga.

My Hero Academia 1

This is sure to benefit from being placed, contextually, in an age of "edgy," gray or cynical genre takes, where it appears to be offering an antidote. I'm not particularly in the market for that, but for me there's the question "What if the protagonist of a superhero show didn't have any powers?" which I would stick around to see the answer for. Sadly, thanks to some of the discussion on the portrayal of heroes and noting the praise for HeroAca's traditionalist approach, I'm assuming this goes out the window fairly quickly, leaving us with conflict resolution that doesn't meaningfully differentiate itself from other battle shounen; I'm expecting to be offered something actually different, and provided with something contextually different. In the event that I'm right, this will probably be a shounen haato too far for me. Still, that's hypothetical and between the appealing designs, solid production that's unlikely to collapse and a robust ability to compartmentalise my enjoyment of anime, this isn't dropped yet.

TheRancor

FLCL was a practise in digital animation or something like that right?

Funny to hear studios still haven't done the transition.

Then again Japan still uses fax machines and mini discs like they're the latest thing.
It was scanned and finished digitally, was notable because it was one of the earlier anime of the time to do it but they still animated on paper.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda

P2zYwHY.png

Best anti-smoking PSA about drinking milk and making sure you have a proper license before you drive ever.

Really cute little series that was a lot of fun to watch! I somehow missed out on watching it as it aired. The art and animation were solid, and the characters were hilarious. I really liked a lot of the designs too, especially the General and his cool skeleton mask. My only complaint besides no season 2 yet is that
Yasu's character was completely one dimensional and pointless. I thought maybe when he teamed up with White Light he was somehow sabotaging them from within to make up for his uselessness, but nope, one dimensional dumbo that gets forgiven so he can return to being the pointless butt of the joke.

also I'll never get Be Mine! out of my head someone save me please BEEEEEEE MIIIIIIIIIIIINE

I'd love to own it on Blu-ray someday. I think it'd be fun to rewatch it wh--

0s9wsLr.png

...oh

XOfTugF.png

Line_HTX

My Hero Academia

Ok, I liked that a lot more than I thought I would. Although, I wish he at least punched that a$$hole in school in the face and then got his butt kicked. It was good background introduction as for his character and really explained his dispositions well. This should be an interesting watch.

You forgot to include Mt. Lady's giant ASS.

Please to meet your assquaintance.

Qurupeke

I was thinking what I should watch for the next few months, after I've found a pace for the shows of the season, and I'm considering starting with one of these: Mawaru Penguindrum, Samurai Flamenco, Soredemo, Usagi Drop. I had enough of mecha animes, for now, and I'll go for something different before watching Mononoke, Ping Pong and some others with more artstyle and animation.

I also have Hyouka, SNAFU and Shirobako on Narag's 2016 bullying anime resolution list, which I hope I'll be able to watch by the end of the summer. I think I'm in mood for Hyouka, as after Phantom World I'm interested in a good looking show, but the other two seem like a chore right now.

Szadek

Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal Season III - Ep. 1
The transformation sequences aren't CG anymore, but it wasn't nessary to spend about 2-3 times as much time on them than the actual fight.
Whatever, it's was an decent first epsiode.

JulianImp

Eureka Seven #38
Finally got around to watching more of this, and it's still okay. Media controlling people's beliefs rings close to home, but I think focusing exclusively on Renton and Eureka's relationship was kind of boring. I'd much rather see them grow closer as they do other stuff rather than devoting whole episodes to building their relationship and not much else (even though there were a couple scenes about Dewey's coup and Holland/Talho expecting a child).

I was thinking what I should watch for the next few months, after I've found a pace for the shows of the season, and I'm considering starting with one of these: Mawaru Penguindrum, Samurai Flamenco, Soredemo, Usagi Drop. I had enough of mecha animes, for now, and I'll go for something different before watching Mononoke, Ping Pong and some others with more artstyle and animation.

I also have Hyouka, SNAFU and Shirobako on Narag's 2016 bullying anime resolution list, which I hope I'll be able to watch by the end of the summer. I think I'm in mood for Hyouka, as after Phantom World I'm interested in a good looking show, but the other two seem like a chore right now.

You're referring to Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru there? If so, I would recommend starting with that one.

Mailbox

Usagi drop is a must watch, just don't touch the manga after your done it.

Hyouka is great, though I can't say I found the ending satisfying.

SNAFU does a lot right, but I absolutely hated the intra-club drama. Season 2 is significantly better than season one, so if you don't like season 1 (I didn't), season 2 is still worth a watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom