• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

I was thinking what I should watch for the next few months, after I've found a pace for the shows of the season, and I'm considering starting with one of these: Mawaru Penguindrum, Samurai Flamenco, Soredemo, Usagi Drop. I had enough of mecha animes, for now, and I'll go for something different before watching Mononoke, Ping Pong and some others with more artstyle and animation.

mawaru21tz0t.jpg

I was thinking what I should watch for the next few months, after I've found a pace for the shows of the season, and I'm considering starting with one of these: Mawaru Penguindrum, Samurai Flamenco, Soredemo, Usagi Drop. I had enough of mecha animes, for now, and I'll go for something different before watching Mononoke, Ping Pong and some others with more artstyle and animation.

I also have Hyouka, SNAFU and Shirobako on Narag's 2016 bullying anime resolution list, which I hope I'll be able to watch by the end of the summer. I think I'm in mood for Hyouka, as after Phantom World I'm interested in a good looking show, but the other two seem like a chore right now.

SAM FLAM.

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT.

Sölf

I also have Hyouka, SNAFU and Shirobako on Narag's 2016 bullying anime resolution list, which I hope I'll be able to watch by the end of the summer. I think I'm in mood for Hyouka, as after Phantom World I'm interested in a good looking show, but the other two seem like a chore right now.

SAMURAI FLAMENCO! THE RIDE NEVER ENDS!

Usagi Drop is also a neat little series. That's also shorter, SamFlam has 24.

Cornbread78

1) SNAFU
2) Usagi Drop
3) Hyouka
4) Sam Flam

BluWacky

Okay, everyone just recommended literary something different.

You have suggested some generally good shows.

They are, however, all pretty different. No-one's recommended you Penguindrum (my favourite of these) yet, but it's not going to please you in the same way that, say, Shirobako would.

Gunslinger Girl 2

It was a bit weird to have a substantial portion of this episode be a reedit of scenes from the first episode with additional material thrown in. But that, and where the rest of this episode went, made me strongly notice how atypical this show's handling of its subject matter is. Normally when a show features what are essentially government counter-terrorism operatives, a substantial amount of time would be devoted to the investigation, planning, and execution of the operations they're doing. But Gunslinger Girl isn't interested in any of that. We get only the barest sketch of the purpose of the operations and killings going on - they're looking for a key witness in... something, and there are opposing forces trying to keep him hidden. But just as the girls aren't concerned about the political or criminal details behind the operation, only about following orders, the show is more concerned about the effect this kind of lifestyle has on the people in it. This episode is all about showing Henrietta's relationship with her handler - the intense dehumanizing effect her conditioning has had on her, and how her handler despite that reaches for anything that will keep her and himself human. It's really fascinating.

Puruzi

Banned
Sölf;200124804 said:
I haven't seen Hyouka so far, so I can't recommend that.

Going to start Galko-chan now. Shouldn't take so long if it's really that good.

oh shit I didn't even mean to quote you

Qurupeke

I'm definitely checking Hyouka, but I'm more interested in starting with one of the first four(Usagi Drop for different reasons as it seems pretty straightforward ), because I have no idea what they're about. I still don't know if Samurai Flamenco is supposed to be a normal superhero story, which I suppose it isn't. Soredemo seems more than just a comedy/slice of life. The only thing I know about Mawaru Penguindrum is that it has to do with penguins.

I think I'll probably go with the posting order(Soredemo->Mawaru Penguindrum->Samurai Flamenco), and Usagi Drop while watching something else, as it's pretty short. The good thing is, that all of them seem to be really well received so I'm about to watch some really good shows, I guess.

Line_HTX

Sölf;200124804 said:
I haven't seen Hyouka so far, so I can't recommend that.

Going to start Galko-chan now. Shouldn't take so long if it's really that good.

I also have yet to watch Hyouka.

Before you know it, you'll speed through Galko-chan in no time.

Sölf;200125808 said:
Samurai Flamenco has a character that is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita. What does Cross Ange have?!

Nana Mizuki.

pbayne

Bakuon 1

The OVA didn't do much for me and this was the final nail in the coffin. Drop. It might be a fun little SOL but nah not for me.

I hate that the girls never genuinely nerd out about bikes. Like all their information feels like things you could get from a five second google search. If you're gonna do it go all out on it ya know.

How is that different from, say, Cross Ange?

Well for one thing, Samurai Flamenco plays its cards right and knew what it was doing from the start. It's smart. I'd like to go into more detail than that, but Samurai Flamenco is like Undertale, in that the less you know about it before watching, the better. Though I can say that it has characters that are actually consistent, unlike Cross Ange.

Cross Ange has no idea what it's doing and just bumbles around constantly showing half-naked women saying profanities, putting its one male protagonist in every bad harem situation imaginable, being all-around offensive in general, showing just how lazy and safe Sunrise is playing it these days (though we'll see how/if Classicaloid changes that), and on top of it all, having terrible CG mecha.

Jex

Gunslinger Girl 2

It was a bit weird to have a substantial portion of this episode be a reedit of scenes from the first episode with additional material thrown in. But that, and where the rest of this episode went, made me strongly notice how atypical this show's handling of its subject matter is. Normally when a show features what are essentially government counter-terrorism operatives, a substantial amount of time would be devoted to the investigation, planning, and execution of the operations they're doing. But Gunslinger Girl isn't interested in any of that. We get only the barest sketch of the purpose of the operations and killings going on - they're looking for a key witness in... something, and there are opposing forces trying to keep him hidden. But just as the girls aren't concerned about the political or criminal details behind the operation, only about following orders, the show is more concerned about the effect this kind of lifestyle has on the people in it. This episode is all about showing Henrietta's relationship with her handler - the intense dehumanizing effect her conditioning has had on her, and how her handler despite that reaches for anything that will keep her and himself human. It's really fascinating.
I'm happy to report that the series doesn't ever engage in that much recapping again. I can only assume they did it in episode 2 due to production constraints.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the the series so far. As you've noticed, it's a fairly atypical series in how in terms of how it handles the more procedural elements of its subject matter but the real surprise for me was the representation the girls and the handlers. I don't solely mean the representations of their relationships (although that is fascinating) but how it treats the subject matter with a certain amount of respect - the show doesn't exploit the girls in a sexual manner at all. The series is certainly 'creepy', but never in the way that you'd expect from an an anime of with this kind of story.

I suppose it's a commentary on the industry as a whole that I am surprised when the female protagonists of a series are not being sexualised.

I'm happy to report that the series doesn't ever engage in that much recapping again. I can only assume they did it in episode 2 due to production constraints.

Perhaps, but I'm not so sure. Given how the scenes were reordered and expanded on in various ways, I'm thinking it might have been a deliberate artistic decision to reuse material in order to frame it slightly differently. At least, the production shows no other signs of having been rushed, and even rushed productions don't usually do substantial recaps in their second episode.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the the series so far. As you've noticed, it's a fairly atypical series in how in terms of how it handles the more procedural elements of its subject matter but the real surprise for me was the representation the girls and the handlers. I don't solely mean the representations of their relationships (although that is fascinating) but how it treats the subject matter with a certain amount of respect - the show doesn't exploit the girls in a sexual manner at all. The series is certainly 'creepy', but never in the way that you'd expect from an an anime of with this kind of story.

I suppose it's a commentary on the industry as a whole that I am surprised when the female protagonists of a series are not being sexualised.

Certainly. Like I said on Twitter, this is a premise that could have been handled like Umetsu's Kite (which treats a somewhat similar concept in a much crasser way) but instead the show gives it the gravitas of The Thin Red Line.

Talk about why Samurai Flamenco is so good. Do not read if you plan on watching Samurai Flamenco unspoiled, which I believe is the best way to watch it.

Samurai Flamenco starts off as a particularly grounded, Kick-Ass-esque Superhero show (haven't seen kick-ass, but that's the comparison I often read about).

It's the story about a normal guy who dresses up like a superhero who goes around doing minor acts of good, while his cop friend deals with his shenanigans.

It goes like that for a while and just when the arc reaches and finishes a climax of sorts, things change. Drastically.

Suddenly the show is essentially a superhero story proper, with an actual supervillain and monsters. It goes like that for a while, and again, once the arc finishes a climax, things drastically change again.

It goes like this all the way until the end of the series. Samurai Flamenco's genius is changing the status quo in a way you least expect it to, immediately after a story-arc finishes, just when you expect things to settle down. The timing of each twist is masterful. It constantly one-ups itself in terms of the craziness that happens next and the fun of the series is wondering where everything's going and how everything's going to end up by the time the show finishes.

But perhaps the most crucial aspect of what makes it work is that the characters stay consistent in how grounded they are. They have character arcs and personalities of their own and unlike the world they live in, they're not out-of-this-world insane. So much so that despite all the craziness going on, it makes room for some genuine moments of heartfelt sincerity with actual good character development.

Samurai Flamenco is a show I'd go on to say is legitimately good, not just The List good.

I hope people who read this spoiler already watched the show, because like I said earlier, the more you don't know about Samurai Flamenco, the better the experience is.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

All of them are great. Just pick the one according to what kind of anime you want to watch the most. If it's supersentai parody, go watch Samflam. Unique anime, Mawaru Penguindrum, Comedy, Soredemo machi ga mawatteiru, heartwarming drama about single parent, Usagi Drop.

If you really want to know which one the wildest and bizarre one, my choice would be Samflam
fclqNWQ.jpg

Yo Qurupeke, since most of those shows are pretty damn good and you can't really make a 'right' decision why not do the cool option you've got and watch the first episode of all of them (or all that are feasible) and then continue with the one that intrigued you the most for the moment. That's not supposed to say much about the quality of any one show but rather a fun way to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom