• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Yo Qurupeke, since most of those shows are pretty damn good and you can't really make a 'right' decision why not do the cool option you've got and watch the first episode of all of them (or all that are feasible) and then continue with the one that intrigued you the most for the moment. That's not supposed to say much about the quality of any one show but rather a fun way to go about it.

Nah, I think this will confuse me the most. :p I'll watch them all anyway so it's not really a hard choice. I have to say that the walls of spoilers for Samurai Flamenco intrigue me though, I think I'll cheat a bit and watch it before Penguindrum.

Cerberus Episode 1 – The Lord of the Dark Dragons
CfOEbJiWQAAie-M.jpg
CfOCqmoW8AAT5xj.jpg

CfODlC1WEAAeH0N.jpg
CfOGeNGWwAULAIu.jpg

Cerberus for best episode 1 of the season so far. Hiiro is a great lead and even though he looks like he might be all powerful and epic hes just a kid at heart
and still learning to be a master swordsman. The fight scene was amazing when he slashed everyone and did nothing at all, lol. Such awesome acting

I wish the kids can stay involved in the plot hes such a kid too and would have so much fun with them and having friends too.

Ascheroth

Macross Delta - 01

Singing, a dancing mech and rocket-propelled skirts.
Everything I signed up for. This is going to be a fun ride.

Gunslinger Girl 2

It was a bit weird to have a substantial portion of this episode be a reedit of scenes from the first episode with additional material thrown in. But that, and where the rest of this episode went, made me strongly notice how atypical this show's handling of its subject matter is. Normally when a show features what are essentially government counter-terrorism operatives, a substantial amount of time would be devoted to the investigation, planning, and execution of the operations they're doing. But Gunslinger Girl isn't interested in any of that. We get only the barest sketch of the purpose of the operations and killings going on - they're looking for a key witness in... something, and there are opposing forces trying to keep him hidden. But just as the girls aren't concerned about the political or criminal details behind the operation, only about following orders, the show is more concerned about the effect this kind of lifestyle has on the people in it. This episode is all about showing Henrietta's relationship with her handler - the intense dehumanizing effect her conditioning has had on her, and how her handler despite that reaches for anything that will keep her and himself human. It's really fascinating.

It's a really great show I love how it is solely focused on the effect such a cliche setup of superpowered teens paired with adult or young adult handlers would actually have on everyone involved. Heart breaking at times, it's one of the first series I watched so I'm almost afraid if I rewatch it, having spent a lot of hours watching anime since, that some of the seams will show. The way violence is handled reminds me of Morricone's approach where the actual act is relatively brief far more time is spent on the build up and then subsequently on an examination of the repercussions for the characters involved.

I watched Shinkabane Hime recently in the hope it would offer even some of what I got in GS but nope, it feints at trying
(such as the priest who tries to kiss his 'princess')
but is really way too into repeating how the central premise of undead and the undead girls who fight them come about to bother (I swear on a stack of bibles 10m tall that at least 20% of the entire runtime is spent repeating the same 5 rules).

I suppose it's a commentary on the industry as a whole that I am surprised when the female protagonists of a series are not being sexualised.

Yup if you look at the box cover or Netflix 'cover' you'd think it was an action shonen girls with guns affair, the fact that instead it's an emotional exocet is both a masterstroke and a tragedy. I for one saw the image on Netflix and thought 'bloody hell anime way to live down to my expectations' and so skipped past it for months, when I finally watched it I was blown away by what it is.

Deadly

Macross Delta 01
Not sure how I feel about this... Dancing valkyrie was kinda cool and has potential for some interesting moves. The whole idol group concept they have this time is... strange? So far at least IMO. Maybe better songs will help because I really didn't enjoy these ones.

Kinda hard to top GOAT Sheryl.

pbayne

Seisen Cerberus 1

Taking androgynous character design to new levels. At a glance you'd have no way no way of knowing if the MC is a guy or girl.

Don't know heard Kirito voice and turned it off. Not a knock against SAo but that guy's voice is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Lautaro

Macross Delta 01

I preferred when the whole singing thing was just a deus ex machina (or a romantic subplot) instead of all the show. I want to like it but idols and dancing mecha during combat are not really my thing, I just want something like Macross Zero. The main theme is damn good though.

---------

On other note, why is the OP of Hero Academia so damn good? I can't concentrate I keep watching it in youtube.

Hundred Episode 1

I think everyone has seen this anime before...really generic and nothing new but it feels kind of refreshing and fun. I liked the episode.

Hayato is kind of clueless. How do you go panicking in the lap to suck the guys finger.
I guess emile is female but he has yet to realize it
CfOOp66W4AAGwie.jpg
CfOPNH6XIAAVfN5.jpg

Exalted

Seisen Cerberus 1

Kinda bland fantasy show, with some really rough animations at times, the actions scenes especially looked disappointing. Nothing really grabbed me so far, well i did like how the MC looked but thats about it. There's was really no story of importance in the episode , just a wandering MC with a mysterious past, that gets into trouble due to his hero complex. Also don't really like all the children characters in the show.
Will pass for now.

Sölf

Oshiete! Galko-chan END
Well, finished the whole show in one sitting. That was a fun litle show. I would like to see more of it and I think the 7 minutes really helped here. While the show is fun overall, I think after a few 25 minutes episodes it would get rather dull. Still a really funny show and Galko is a really great character. The last episode in particular was pretty good. Not sure if I would say it's the best show of the whole season, but it's definitly a really good one.

zulux21

heavy object 1-4
after a fairly boring first episode this show is basically what I hoped aldnoha would be, using intelligence to take down over powered enemies without the main character merely being better than everyone else. The main guy actually needs his comrades to do stuff, it's nice.

Cornbread78

heavy object 1-4
after a fairly boring first episode this show is basically what I hoped aldnoha would be, using intelligence to take down over powered enemies without the main character merely being better than everyone else. The main guy actually needs his comrades to do stuff, it's nice.

welcome to awesomness!

Holy crap, I was just listen to some random anime mix on Youtube and Eternal Snow from Full Moon Wo Sagashite came on... That show was so damn sad man, that took me back...

End of the month reporting sucks, btw...

Sölf

heavy object 1-4

Enjoy the ride, it only gets better.

zulux21

welcome to awesomness!

Holy crap, I was just listen to some random anime mix on Youtube and Eternal Snow from Full Moon Wo Sagashite came on... That show was so damn sad man, that took me back...

End of the month reporting suck, btw...

Sölf;200138678 said:
Enjoy the ride, it only gets better.

glad to hear, I wanted something to multitask with and remembered this was mostly dubbed at this point so started watching it :p

also it's a shame full moon is 52 episodes as it's unlikely pied piper could save it like they are saving skip beat until they build up a much bigger following.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Season III, Episode 1:

SO here we are in the alleged third season, which i get where they are coming from, this is the third arc of the manga after all but still doesn't change the fact that Sailor Moon Crystal only had one previous season over 2 cours. Anyway, production technicalities aside, this was a decent start to the season as we are free of those god awful CGI transformations, the art till looks ugly, but this is a TOEI production so that is to be expected. Yes, I think I am looking somewhat forward to watching this season.

Sailor Moon Crystal Season III, Episode 1:

SO here we are in the alleged third season, which i get where they are coming from, this is the third arc of the manga after all but still doesn't change the fact that Sailor Moon Crystal only had one previous season over 2 cours. Anyway, production technicalities aside, this was a decent start to the season as we are free of those god awful CGI transformations, the art till looks ugly, but this is a TOEI production so that is to be expected. Yes, I think I am looking somewhat forward to watching this season.

how does this suffer production issues despite being planned for a long time on the original manga......i mean it just sounds like an easily avoidable fuck up!

Cornbread78

glad to hear, I wanted something to multitask with and remembered this was mostly dubbed at this point so started watching it :p

also it's a shame full moon is 52 episodes as it's unlikely pied piper could save it like they are saving skip beat until they build up a much bigger following.

Yeah, Full Moon is something everyone should wade through at some point to truly understand despair. There are some really boring SoL parts mixed into the anime, but at it's core, man, it is a tough watch, especially for someone that has kids...

Ascheroth

heavy object 1-4

Have fun, the ride is only starting!

zulux21

Yeah, Full Moon is something everyone should wade through at some point to truly understand despair. There are some really boring SoL parts mixed into the anime, but at it's core, man, it is a tough watch, especially for someone that has kids...

there is no way a show with this opening can be a tough watch unless it's bad.

I have seen it all and it's an enjoyable show :p

/XX/

FLCL was a practise in digital animation or something like that right?
It was scanned and finished digitally, was notable because it was one of the earlier anime of the time to do it but they still animated on paper.
Exactly. When it was referred then as a digital animation it was in the sense of being like that for further along assembly processes of the animation production pipeline; digital compositing, and not all the assets themselves (not habitual until much more recently).

The most ironic thing when talking about this matter is that GAiNAX didn't even had at the time an in-house digital photography department, and not even until 2007 (at their infamous pre-fabricated building near Higashi-Koganei station) coinciding with the production of TTGL... and with a small staff that practically as a whole went on to form SANZIGEN Inc., eventually as a part of the USPI conglomerate.

Line_HTX

BAKUON!! 01

The Stig has a sick, sleek bike. Perfect for killing time away from Top Gear.

Blonde twintails vs. Fluffy. They look like they're headed for a smackdown.

The unusual part was the talking test bike at the driving school and telling Sakura to inspect men before mounting, ROFL

Macross Delta 01

I preferred when the whole singing thing was just a deus ex machina (or a romantic subplot) instead of all the show. I want to like it but idols and dancing mecha during combat are not really my thing, I just want something like Macross Zero. The main theme is damn good though.

---------

On other note, why is the OP of Hero Academia so damn good? I can't concentrate I keep watching it in youtube.

Too bad the song is pretty awful. They should have had the voice actors sing. ED song is better.

ibyea

Banned
Gunslinger Girl 2

It was a bit weird to have a substantial portion of this episode be a reedit of scenes from the first episode with additional material thrown in. But that, and where the rest of this episode went, made me strongly notice how atypical this show's handling of its subject matter is. Normally when a show features what are essentially government counter-terrorism operatives, a substantial amount of time would be devoted to the investigation, planning, and execution of the operations they're doing. But Gunslinger Girl isn't interested in any of that. We get only the barest sketch of the purpose of the operations and killings going on - they're looking for a key witness in... something, and there are opposing forces trying to keep him hidden. But just as the girls aren't concerned about the political or criminal details behind the operation, only about following orders, the show is more concerned about the effect this kind of lifestyle has on the people in it. This episode is all about showing Henrietta's relationship with her handler - the intense dehumanizing effect her conditioning has had on her, and how her handler despite that reaches for anything that will keep her and himself human. It's really fascinating.

Yeah I was impressed back then when I watched it, the show never felt like it was exploiting its premise for cheap fan service and the likes. I never got to finish it now that I think about it. Hmm, I should go back to it.

Yeah I was impressed back then when I watched it, the show never felt like it was exploiting its premise for cheap fan service and the likes. I never got to finish it now that I think about it. Hmm, I should go back to it.

Morio Asaka is a classy director.

So is raunchy going to be the flavor of this season or what.

I don't think this season is raunchier than any other given season. There's always a bunch of cheap titillation-driven shows around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom