• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
halp gaf I need your advice on some anime

Just finished watching cyborg 009 vs devilman on netflix and it was freaking awesome.
The art style and action was great. I know nothing of either series but it was still highly enjoyable.

Where should I go to get more of that kind of each?

Cyborg 009 is by Shotaro Ishinomori who created Kamen Rider.

Devilman is by Go Nagai who has a massive amount of works like Cutie Honey, Mazinger Z, Violence Jack, Kotetsu Jeeg, Getter Robo, Mazinkaizer and so on so if you want to see some old school super robot shit he's your guy.

Instro

Just finished watching cyborg 009 vs devilman on netflix and it was freaking awesome.
The art style and action was great. I know nothing of either series but it was still highly enjoyable.

Not really part of either series, but The Skullman might be a good look up. It's an adaption of an Ishinomori manga series. Not sure if it's on Netflix, but it is at least somewhat related to Cyborg 009 and is a really good action show.

Danball Senki W 37-40

CiJJjRKUUAAdfIa.jpg
CiJTP9iVEAI8SIi.jpg
CiJYMOWUgAIXD9d.jpg:large

More LBX upgrades, UCHUUness and plot twists abound, and a reminder of AI tropes that have existed for time on end.

Tragic backstories are abound, with Dr Mummy's
past being something you already know
and a Satellite Laser ready to blow shit up in a show about childrens LBX toys. Although it certainly hasn't portrayed the kids side very much outside of like the obligatory tournament sessions.

Docking takes a twist given the nature of the components involved in this one but christ almighty.

How will we get 18 more episodes out of this plot line?

Danball Senki W 41

This episode marks the end of the whole plot up until now, and it feels like an actual ending to like.... the main game.

But now we POST game, with next episode leading into the Inazuma Eleven crossover movie.

Looks like the fallout I was hoping for didn't happen, but that may be for the best. Kirito for the most part, may no longer have a part in the rest of the show. I genuinely wonder how much more ridiculous this can get in the coming 17 episodes and a movie.

Kiznaiver is without a shadow of a doubt my season's highlight. It's not every time that we get a show that is both good looking and interesting to watch. Many shows manage to do one or the other, but not a lot can do both. Kiznaiver delivers on both fronts.

Kiznaiver is without a shadow of a doubt my season's highlight. It's not every time that we get a show that is both good looking and interesting to watch. Many shows manage to do one or the other, but not a lot can do both. Kiznaiver delivers on both fronts.

Uh, most shows that are interesting to watch are also good looking.

jonjonaug

OH OH ME ME ME PICK ME

OK so Devilman is like, the best thing ever. It's what got me into anime and it's still one of my favorites.

To start out, I would recommend viewing the OVAs produced in 1987 and 1990, called "The Birth" and "Demon Bird Sirene" respectively. These adapt the first two volumes of the manga, which is five volumes long, along with a bit of additional and changed up content (I would call the OVAs the superior versions of volumes 1 and 2 for the most part). The only official release of the OVAs with English subs was an old VHS release, so you'll most likely need to download this from somewhere. Manga Video put out a DVD release around 2000 or so, but it was dub only and the dub is legendarily awful. Like, not even funny-bad, just plain really bad. Sadly volumes 3 through 5 of the manga have no anime adaptation, because after the second OVA funding couldn't be secured to produce the remaining three episodes at the same level of quality as the first two, and the director didn't want to do it otherwise.

After that, I would recommend reading the original manga (just "Devilman", not "Neo Devilman" or "Amon: Darkside of Devilman" or "Devilman Lady" or any of the other spinoffs), which is only five volumes long. Start from the beginning even though you've already watched the two OVAs, there's some minor differences in the content. The manga is unlicensed, the only thing that resembles an "official" English translation was a strange comic book format release of a few chapters in America and the entire series in a dual language format (Kodansha released some manga as learning tools in Japan). The dual language books are hard to track down I think, I remember them going for like 100 dollars for the whole series on eBay years ago. So just use a scanlation site or something.

After that you're free to check out whatever. I'd recommend checking out "Neo Devilman" first, which contains a bunch of side stories by various authors as well as a couple of additional chapters by the original author. Most are interesting, some are good, a few are really weird or awful.

The Demon Lord Dante manga is nice to check out if you want to see the prototype of the concept, and the anime adaptation which has an actual ending is pretty fun to watch and incredibly batshit, even if the actual objective quality would be best described as "kind of bad". The script for the anime was done by Shozo Uehara, who worked on a bunch of very strange tokusatsu shows including all 49 episodes of Space Sherrif Shaider. The later half of the series is anime original and manages to be even crazier in some ways than the original material.

Amon: Darkside of Devilman is OK but fairly confusing. has nice art though. Unlicensed.

The Devilman Lady manga is quite interesting but also takes the violence from the original manga and kicks it up even higher to levels I find a little uncomfortable at times, plus the ending is just out there even by Go Nagai standards. Unlicensed (seeing a pattern yet?)

The Devilman Lady anime is an entirely different story from the manga that was overseen by Chiaki Konaka (Texhnolyze, Lain) who plotted it out and wrote 10 out of 26 episodes. It's quite good with one of my favorite protagonists in anime, and it's a shame that it gets overlooked compared to Konaka's other work. ADV put out the series on DVD forever ago, you might be able to track it down but more likely you'll have to resort to downloading it.

The "Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman" OVA is the closest thing we have to an anime adaptation of the final parts of the manga, but it's over the top violence-for-the-sake-of-violence and DBZ-ish fights both feel out of place. Pretty the only piece of Devilman related media I actively dislike. Unlicensed. Also I'm pretty sure the only subtitles available for this are really bad HK bootleg subs, at least that was the case when I watched it.

And then there's the original anime from the 1970s which actually was thought out before the manga. It's really just a fairly standard monster of the week show, but at the time it was one of the best of its kind. Nice to watch if you're interested in something that's super retro, plus the theme song is the best kind of cheese. This one is actually licensed and has a current-ish release by Discotek.

So to recap...

Definitely check out
OVAs from 1987 and 1990
The original manga
Devilman Lady anime

Worth checking out
Devilman Lady manga
Neo Devilman

Not necessarily good, but interesting
Devilman 1970s anime
Amon: Darkside of Devilman
Demon Lord Dante

Avoid
Amon OVA

You'll have to ask someone else for 009, I never got all that into it.

EDIT: I forgot about the Devilman live action movie. It's pretty bad but had very nice special effects at the time it came out for a Japanese live action flick. Might be worth checking out if you just want to see cool designs moving around. There's a scene where Ryo kills a bunch of guys with an uzi that's pretty funny, and despite the sort of laughable leadup to the ending they did nail the final couple scenes IIRC. I think there was an official release of some sort for it some years back, but I don't remember for sure.

EDIT 2: If you liked the 009 parts and you want more Ishinomori stuff I can recommend checking out the Kamen Rider Black manga at least, that was pretty good.

Hamst3r

Death Parade was pretty good, but I kinda wish it had just been 12 episodes of people being judged by Decim. I really didn't need or want any of the other stuff that went on.

Uh, most shows that are interesting to watch are also good looking.

Not really, no. A lot of the shows have good characters, writing, etc and have mediocre visuals. Take Grimgar as an example. It sure had its moments, looking good here and there, with a story that had moments as well. KyoAni's Phantom show was gorgeous. The story, not so much. We do have examples such as Hyouka that manage to do both things well, but if you look at each season that we've had, not every show manages to look good, be stylish and creative from beginning to end while maintaining a good and entertaining story for the viewer.

That Getter Robo Armageddon impression makes me super interested. I haven't really watched any mecha anime other than Gurren Lagann (which I suppose isn't really in the true fashion of traditional mecha), so what's the best method of approach to watching mecha for a first timer like me?

Puruzi

Banned
That Getter Robo Armageddon impression makes me super interested. I haven't really watched any mecha anime other than Gurren Lagann (which I suppose isn't really in the true fashion of traditional mecha), so what's the best method of approach to watching mecha for a first timer like me?

Watch Gunbuster and Diebuster immediately.

Diebuster's better.

Instro

Kiznaiver 2-3

This shows works best as a comedy. I'm not sure I care much for the characters, but they do well together in light hearted moments. Once anything hits that feels like a serious scene, or meaningful drama, it starts trending towards Black Rock Shooter levels of nonsense. Curious to see how the next episodes go, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this show go totally off the rails before the end. These two episodes were certainly better than the first though.

jonjonaug

There's lots of mecha anime, what kind of show would you like to watch?

On the far end of the "super robot" side of the scale you have stuff like the Brave franchise (GaoGaiGar being the particularly popular standout) if you want light hearted stuff for kids, or the various post-2000 adaptations of Go Nagai's and Ken Ishikawa's work if you want stuff aimed at an older audience (Shin Mazinger, Mazinkaiser, Getter Robo's various OVAs, Kotetsushin Jeeg).

On the far end of the "real robot" side of the scale you have stuff like Tomino's Gundam works. I'd recommend the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy, Zeta Gundam, and Armored Trooper VOTOMs to start out. Patlabor is another one that's pretty easy to get into, mixing "real robot" style mecha with police drama, and is considerably more light hearted than the typical giant robot war story.

Then you have the stuff that doesn't fit neatly into either side. G Gundam takes the "real robot" designs from the Gundam franchise and goes crazy with them (there's a Windmill Gundam) while mixing in a bunch of wuxia inspired fighting. Giant Robo is another work by the same director as G Gundam that mixes together a bunch of works from Mitsuteru Yokoyama, it's probably Imagawa's best work.

If you just want high quality work that's easy to get into, I'd recommend checking out one or more of the following.

Gunbuster - Hideaki Anno's first time in the director's chair for a real anime series, and still my personal favorite work of his. Gets better on rewatches as you appreciate the detail in the setting (some of the background detail is utterly sublime) and fine character development. Six episode OVA.
GaoGaiGar - Pretty much the ultimate silly super robot show. First half is very well put together monster of the week, second half is just crazy stuff happening over and over until the end. 50 or so episodes.
Shin Mazinger - An action packed and somewhat darker super robot show, without being heavy on the violence or weirdness like the Getter OVAs. 26 episodes.
VOTOMs - A war/battle heavy real robot show, the protagonist is sort of a mix of Rambo from the first and second films. 50 or so episodes, don't bother with the OVAs.
Turn A Gundam - My personal favorite Gundam TV series. Has some of the best characters in the franchise, and the designs and setting are pretty unique. 50 or so episodes
Gundam 0080 - A six episode OVA set during the same time as the original Gundam series, but it's self contained and you don't need to know anything about the larger franchise to watch it. Best to watch around Christmas time.
Giant Robo - Probably Imagawa's best work. Excellent music, direction, and style. Seven episodes

Also Gunbuster is way better than Diebuster DWI

jonjonaug

why you lyin

Diebuster makes a big sloppy mess of Gunbuster's themes (in Gunbuster "hard work and guts" means actual hard work and character development, in Diebuster "hard work and guts" means "friendship rainbows and shouting hard" and
Nono just suddenly realizing that she had the real power inside of her all along after not really undergoing any development for four episodes then going off to Pluto with a guy who doesn't want to admit his age
), the animation is great but lacks the sublime attention to detail seen in Gunbuster's backgrounds and designs, the setting is dumb compared to Gunbuster's more down to earth stuff and lacks the same amount of thought put into it, and Enokido shits the bed forcing in his favored coming of age story tropes with scenes like "I don't wanna grow up, so I'm gonna rape a robot".

Soundtrack's great though, equaling or surpassing Gunbuster's. Kouhei Tanaka's still the GOAT anime composer.

This isn't to say that Diebuster is a bad show, it's quite a good one. But Gunbuster I enjoy more on every viewing and find something new to like about it every time, and I've watched it half a dozen times. Every time I rewatch Diebuster I enjoy it, but I don't find anything new to like about it and usually find 1-2 new things that annoy me.

Mailbox

Kiznaiver episodes 4 & 5

Okay, I can see where this is going. And, tbh, I like it.
Both of these episodes were well paced, had good characterization reveals, and even had some more dark undertones that I appreciate. I'm excited for more.

I can see why some people have slight problems with Chidori, but I didn't mind her.

I would be watching more anime, but I've gotten hooked on playing Valkryia Chronicles for the first time. Its fucking great and surprisingly played super straight and quite dark at times. Loving it so far (I think I'm about halfway through now)

Gunbuster - 01
"Luke, you've turned off your targeting computer. What's wrong?"

LIGHTNING KICK!!!!

large.gif

Gunbuster - 02
"Your father was the best star pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior. And he was a good friend."
ozJYEAY.png

phaze

Diebuster makes a big sloppy mess of Gunbuster's themes

Gunbuster itself makes a big sloppy mess of Gunbuster's themes by having Noriko be picked out as the special snowflake and given special training on the basis of her bloodline.

And the coming of age thins is x times more interesting than anything Gunbuster did with its characters.

Two recs for gunbuster, I think I'll go with that for now. Thanks for the quick responses!
Just remember to follow up with the superior sequel !
Mawaru Penguindrum - 2
Yandere alert ?
Is this show going to turn into a never-ending chain of stalkers for this Penguin Drum thing?

You misspelled "pure maiden in love" .

SNAFU TOO 4-13

Been a while since I last watched this so I kind of forgot what the point of the student council election was supposed to be, but like before I still can't quite put my finger on why it is I like this show. Aside from Hachiman and Yui I can't really say I like any of the characters or how they act in the situations they're in and especially get kind of pissed at how they are towards each other at times, especially Yukino's family. But I'm definitely looking forward to the release of the novels in English, really hoping they're available on kindle.

Madoka Rebellion

Buy the imported subbed CE on release, take 2 years to sit down and watch it. Story of my life. It was worth the self-imposed wait though, because goddamn that was beautiful. Now to order the manga.

Also I kept a tally of the number of things Homura did wrong. Grand total was 0.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 6:

Okay, so there are some stark differences between the 2011 series and the 1999 series, good to know.

Blue Spring Ride 1-12

Well, this definitely wasn't a very conclusive ending. Sort of had a "now go read the manga" vibe to it but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting from what someone mentioned here before. At least things ended on a pretty positive note, unlike My Little Monster which ended on an ep where basically fucking nothing happened. Doesn't look like the manga is being officially released in English so it doesn't look like I'm going to see how this ends anytime soon at least :(

Thoraxes

So, does anyone have access to the Japanese Gundam ZZ BDs? I was comparing some scenes to what I think is the JP BD OP that I found by random google searching, and the difference in IQ is noticeable (slightly cropped too). I guess the second set I posted has a noise filter applied? Pictured below is the US BD release, second disc.

And the other version I found:

Not really, no. A lot of the shows have good characters, writing, etc and have mediocre visuals. Take Grimgar as an example. It sure had its moments, looking good here and there, with a story that had moments as well. KyoAni's Phantom show was gorgeous. The story, not so much. We do have examples such as Hyouka that manage to do both things well, but if you look at each season that we've had, not every show manages to look good, be stylish and creative from beginning to end while maintaining a good and entertaining story for the viewer.

I can't agree. Writing is consistently a weak point for anime, so it's much more common to find anime that will have attractive visuals but poor storytelling. Certainly almost all my favorites, both overall and among recent productions, have solid to excellent visuals.

Grimgar, while unpolished as it went along due to having a very short production schedule (much of that will likely get cleaned up in the BD release), did have attractive visuals overall, with strong backgrounds, strong character designs, and when polished strong animation with good direction. Elements of its writing and music were its biggest problems.

I can't agree. Writing is consistently a weak point for anime, so it's much more common to find anime that will have attractive visuals but poor storytelling. Certainly almost all my favorites, both overall and among recent productions, have solid to excellent visuals.

Grimgar, while unpolished as it went along due to having a very short production schedule (much of that will likely get cleaned up in the BD release), did have attractive visuals overall, with strong backgrounds, strong character designs, and when polished strong animation with good direction. Elements of its writing and music were its biggest problems.

And this is my point. We get a lot of shows, and there isn't always that balance in quality.

You have the two sides of the scale (3 with the music/soundtrack/voicing?) and we are usually treated to just like you said, pretty visuals with a shitty story. This is the norm.

We get the opposite too, let's go back again to Phantom World as an example of somethibg that could have been great, but ultemately falls flat on its face.

Then you have gems, such as Rakugo, that manage to even out both fields, presenting interesting visuals and direction, something that you will notice, along with very strong storytelling elements and techniques that keep you engaged and wanting for more every week.

Kiznaiver is definitely not on the same level of Rakugo, it would be the same as comparing two fruits such as an apple and an orange. However, what Kiznaiver does is present to us a very modern and stylized product, with visuals and animation that stand out and just plainly look fucking awesome, while presenting a plot that not only is interesting, but that breaks out of the mold of tropes by presenting them directly to you (we all know characters like these from other shows) but giving it enough of a spin to make it feel fresh and keep the ball rolling every week.

Wow this turned out longer than I thought it would be, my bad bahaha.

duckroll

I think shows with good writing and poor production values are extremely rare, and certainly more uncommon than shows with good writing and good production values. Because shows with good writing are so uncommon to begin with, those which do are usually those with producers who give a shit and the shows tend to be well made and have good staff.

Is it common to find shows with bad writing and great animation? Sure, but who gives a shit?! They're still shit!

pbayne

Blue Spring Ride 1-12

Well, this definitely wasn't a very conclusive ending. Sort of had a "now go read the manga" vibe to it but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting from what someone mentioned here before. At least things ended on a pretty positive note, unlike My Little Monster which ended on an ep where basically fucking nothing happened. Doesn't look like the manga is being officially released in English so it doesn't look like I'm going to see how this ends anytime soon at least :(

There is an OVA that basically acts as a 13th episode. Its not anymore conclusive but eh.
At least it hits the final nail in the coffin of that stupid love triangle.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/24151/Ao_Haru_Ride_OVA

duckroll still feeling the hurt from Wizard Barristers.

Yeah I keep seeing this on CR and it intrigues me, does Japan have barristers? I'm guessing from your comment it was bad but it's just that I so rarely see any reference to them at all that they're showing up in a wizard anime just blew my mind.

Clov

I might start watching Kiznaiver. I think I'm the only one in my group of friends that isn't watching it at this point.

Also, I started Votoms. I'm ten episodes in, and I think it's great! Very different from what I expected. It's not at all Gundam-esque, and that's a good thing. It feels a little more unique.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It has been postulated that Kiznaiver is just some happy freak of nature in terms of the questionable elements coming together to cancel each other outright.

Moaradin

Just finished Rakugo. It felt like I couldn't fully appreciate the actual performances, since I'm not really familiar with the culture and the nuances that come with it. Luckily the character drama alone was very compelling. Plus the show was pretty nice to look at and the soundtrack was great. I'm definitely down for more of it.

Qurupeke

Hyouka [END]

I expected some kind of closure, but it wasn't there. Of course, I didn't think that Oreki/Chitanda would reveal their feelings, but it seems like nothing of significance happened on the last episode. The previous episode, the one on the new year festival or the episode about Oreki's teacher left a more significant impact about those two characters. The whole final scene was beautiful, I might as well call it one of the series' best, but it was more interesting because of Chitanda and her "duty", rather than Chitanda and Oreki.
The fakeout fantasy of Oreki almost gave me a heart attack though.
And this definitely didn't seem like the final episode of a season. There wasn't a payoff, the show had already offered everything before that. On the other hand, I liked a lot more how they handled the situation with Fukube and Mayaka, even though Fukube was painted in a bad light.

The other thing that bothered me is that after the culture festival, the mystery took a backseat. I feel that the series' real power was how it managed to make interesting and mysterious situations and develop its characters through them. Oreki's inner monologues, the group's interactions and their conversations, all of them worked great for that. Sure, the last few episodes had some good stuff, but it wasn't like the mysteries on the first few episodes. Anyway, I don't want to sound pessimistic as I liked the series a lot, it was good. But damn, the second half was weaker than the first half, a bit disappointing.

Generally, it was an excellent series, but not perfect. I've praised it enough on my previous posts, so I don't plan to repeat myself on stuff like its mystery or the visuals. Oh and in the end, I'm actually still unsure whether I'd put it above Euphonium, but I'll probably wait for Eupho's second season. And for Hyouka's second season I guess...

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Boku no Hero Academia 6
Damn, that music when Deku throwing Kacchan to the ground. That was great!
Pacing could be better, but i'm enjoying this.

Kumamiko 6

I think Natsu should tell Machi about this wondeful thing called the internet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom