• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

You are a wealth of positively, Shard.

Always hold onto hope. Except those FMP people, they should stop hoping.

She'd probably destroy the computer thinking it was trying to curse her or something. Or throw her life savings away on something stupid.
A new season of FMP was recently announced, wasn't it?

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists #6

T3NS9Up.jpg

Focused on Benio mostly, and Mayuri trying to become friends with her, with some Rokuro starting to get back into the exorcist business. The "big boss" Kegare this week looked pretty... goofy though.
Next episode looks to be filler again.

At this point I'm convinced there's actually a chance they're going to use chapters 4 and 5 as the season finale. Let that sink in for a minute: We haven't even fully reached the end of chapter 3 of the manga yet (although a part of episode 6 was brought forward a bit and a later character was used for a filler).
So far this hasn't really ruined anything, though. The filler hasn't messed up the main storyline, changed character personalities or anything. It's fairly enjoyable. But it's also not something outstanding, mainly because nothing hasn't even really started yet.

For a 50 episode adaption of a 30 chapter manga it's pretty good. It probably would have been better as a 13 episode adaption, but it is what is and not what it isn't. I'm awaiting the first real battle.

Szadek

Log Horizon 2 - Ep. 5-6
While the series is still interesting, the story is kind of all over the place.
Currently it has like 3-4 different plot lines and it doesn't look like they have anything to do with one another.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist ep.6
HYDlVEs.gif

(there, I changed it lol)
Really enjoyable episode with good humor and continued character growth. There weren't many action sequences this week, but the one shown was pretty good. It was funny to watch Benio and Mayura become friends; Mayura definitely personifies the "try hard" mentality, lol. Then, that ending....... You knew it was coming sooner or later, but I still laughed my a$$ off at Mayura's reaction and subsequent abuse of Rokuro. This is going to be a long running thing now, but hopefully it stays a fun triangle and not divulge into too much drama......

Still really liking this show, and the OP is definitely one of the best of the season..

Hyouka [END]

I expected some kind of closure, but it wasn't there.
*snip*

Oreki's character development has progressed quite a bit and it's in this last episode where he comes to admit to himself that he does really care for (read: love) Chitanda, to the point where he'd be willing to sacrifice some of his 'low-energy' lifestyle to accommodate her.

He doesn't confess any of this to Chitanda directly here, but that's simply because he just reached the point where he's accepted the idea himself. It would be against Oreki's nature if he were to directly confess to her right then.

There's also a lot neat detail in the direction here. I'm too lazy right now and it's been a while since I've seen the episode myself, but aspects like 'who's riding/pushing' the bike before and the events are all indicative of Oreki's change.

I never felt as though this episode was too inconclusive. It's an open ended episode, sure, but enough happened this episode even if it isn't spelled outright and I don't like too conclusive endings for these kinds of shows anyways. Hyouka has focus on subtle and natural character development, not some particular plot with beginning and end. Live will just go on for these characters. If anything I may have been upset if there was some confession and didn't get more than some minutes of aftermaths because the damn show is over.

pbayne

Man Gauron in FMP so fucking cool. He's possibly the most uncomplicated bad guy of all time.
Can't wait to see what bullshit they pull to bring him back again. He'll be like a force ghost or something.

Cornbread78

Oreki's character development has progressed quite a bit and it's in this last episode where he comes to admit to himself that he does really care for (read: love) Chitanda, to the point where he'd be willing to sacrifice some of his 'low-energy' lifestyle to accommodate her.

He doesn't confess any of this to Chitanda directly here, but that's simply because he just reached the point where he's accepted the idea himself. It would be against Oreki's nature if he were to directly confess to her right then.

There's also a lot neat detail in the direction here. I'm too lazy right now and it's been a while since I've seen the episode myself, but aspects like 'who's riding/pushing' the bike before and the events are all indicative of Oreki's change.

I never felt as though this episode was too inconclusive. It's an open ended episode, sure, but enough happened this episode even if it isn't spelled outright and I don't like too conclusive endings for these kinds of shows anyways. Hyouka has focus on subtle and natural character development, not some particular plot with beginning and end. Live will just go on for these characters. If anything I may have been upset if there was some confession and didn't get more than some minutes of aftermaths because the damn show is over.

pPWbb5C.jpg

Everything you say is true and that whole episode was absolutely beautiful. However, we need a season 2 ASAP...

Qurupeke

[...]

This anime is not a romance, and I'm totally ok with an open ending. My problem is that the finale felt anticlimatic. You could omit the last episode and not much would change. And I'm not referring to the story elements, but Chitanda's and Oreki's relationship. Earlier episodes had already showcased their development as characters, that they were closer and the fact that Oreki has feelings for Chitanda. The ending was just a repeat of facts that the viewer already knew. I mean, technically, this is an aspect of SoL animes, but still, I'd imagine that with the talent Kyoani demonstrated, they'd be able to make the episode seem more like a natural progression and a finale, and less like a bonus episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon 2 - Ep. 5-6
While the series is still interesting, the story is kind of all over the place.
Currently it has like 3-4 different plot lines and it doesn't look like they have anything to do with one another.

Two concurrent novels were adapted for this arc.

You have the two sides of the scale (3 with the music/soundtrack/voicing?) and we are usually treated to just like you said, pretty visuals with a shitty story. This is the norm.

No, unfortunately the norm is shitty visuals with a shitty story.

I think shows with good writing and poor production values are extremely rare, and certainly more uncommon than shows with good writing and good production values. Because shows with good writing are so uncommon to begin with, those which do are usually those with producers who give a shit and the shows tend to be well made and have good staff.

Is it common to find shows with bad writing and great animation? Sure, but who gives a shit?! They're still shit!

What few shows with good writing and poor production values exist would be straight manga adaptations where the original source is good but the anime staff didn't really care or have any resources to invest in the adaptation.

What few shows with good writing and poor production values exist would be straight manga adaptations where the original source is good but the anime staff didn't really care or have any resources to invest in the adaptation.
This is true sadly lol.

And for your second point this season, wouldn't Ace Attorney fit the bill? I haven't watched it, but from what I hear it's a straight copy paste from the game's script with shitty animation slapped on top.

Jarmel

Banned
Man Gauron in FMP so fucking cool. He's possibly the most uncomplicated bad guy of all time.
Can't wait to see what bullshit they pull to bring him back again. He'll be like a force ghost or something.

He's done. The rest of the LN's shift gears a bit.

Theonik

Yeah I keep seeing this on CR and it intrigues me, does Japan have barristers? I'm guessing from your comment it was bad but it's just that I so rarely see any reference to them at all that they're showing up in a wizard anime just blew my mind.
The problem is it's largely just bizarre misogynist Umetsu weirdness. The TV air was also a production wreck.

Cornbread78

This anime is not a romance, and I'm totally ok with an open ending. My problem is that the finale felt anticlimatic. You could omit the last episode and not much would change. And I'm not referring to the story elements, but Chitanda's and Oreki's relationship. Earlier episodes had already showcased their development as characters, that they were closer and the fact that Oreki has feelings for Chitanda. The ending was just a repeat of facts that the viewer already knew. I mean, technically, this is an aspect of SoL animes, but still, I'd imagine that with the talent Kyoani demonstrated, they'd be able to make the episode seem more like a natural progression and a finale, and less like a bonus episode.

So you were a little miffed at that ending then.... I don't bother saying it drove me nuts because there was no reason to have that
"fake" confession there
blah... Don't toy with viewers; progress..

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... subtleness, it's art.... blah.

That is why I just agree and say we need a Season 2 to finally get to where it should have gone, lol

Narag

I could swear Gifu dodo didn't follow the manga all that closely.

blurr

I had my say on the ending to Hyouka. It was conclusive in a way.

I think it was fine (because the show hinted on it) albeit a friend of mine already revealed how it would end and I had a bitter experience with Chu2 season 2 (<-- NOW THAT) so I had my expectations in check.

Your Lie in April isn't really better than Clannad. Well, I guess the character designs are better.

I laughed hard at this.

Cornbread78

Venus to Mamoru ep.4
c0uyAZZ.jpg

Oh, how cute these Student Council jerks are to make the young lovers perform Sleeping Beauty for the Cultural Festival. Pretty funny episode, until the very end... I hope she is alright, so they can share their first kiss on stage the next episode, lol!

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 104
CiL-YbIUkAAxdLJ.jpg

Great duel with Destiny Heroes and some good XYZ moments. Going from Pendulum to the overlay network is always the best part.

Dark Requiem XYZ Dragon for best new dragon this arc, all of its attacks are cool
too bad it lost from an effect ;(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I started Your Lie in April and then I looked up how the plot went and dropped it

Wanderer5

Bleh I not sure if I going to continue watching Joker Game. Thought I would like some nice WWII era spy stuff, but after this series went episodic....

I thought the last episode was an excellent summation of how Oreki and Chitanda's relationship had progressed over the course of the series. Chitanda feels comfortable enough with Oreki to invite him into a side of her life she doesn't normally open up about to her school friends, and Oreki has grown to the point where he's willing to get invested in Chitanda's life. No previous episode had shown their relationship in such intimacy. The last scene is impossibly beautiful and also makes a strong bookend, calling back to the "rose-colored" life discussion that opened the very first episode. I didn't feel an explicit confession and/or kiss was necessary to give the episode a conclusive feeling.

Bleh I not sure if I going to continue watching Joker Game. Thought I would like some nice WWII era spy stuff, but after this series went episodic....

It's not World War II era, but I would recommend watching or reading some John le Carré spy stories instead.

Ascheroth

I dropped Joker Game after episode 3. Looks like that was the right call (I did enjoy 1 & 2 a lot, though).

Danball Senki #34

Yes, this battle of two bizzare alliances was pretty awesome and equally unpredictable.
Now on to Master King! I did not expect him to be that intimidating, this is going to be something else.

The last few episodes of Hyouka were great because Oreki and Chitanda felt like genuine, good friends at that point. I mean, both of them fully accept each other for who they are and there's not a shred of discomfort or antagonism.

It's so much better than usual male and female duos I commonly see in anime, where one side is usually dominant over the other, causally throwing insults and the like, making the whole friendship or romance feel mean-spirited. It's what makes me not want to watch Twin Star Exorcists, because after checking out how the duo acts in that after a few episodes I know that I'd be in for that sort of thing.

JulianImp

Yup. The one-shot characters and settings and big reliance on everything going according to the Japanese spies' plan is failing to keep me interested in the show. Cases taking up single episodes also means there isn't much room for deviating from the "spy on the case > spy in a pinch > all according to keikaku" formula, which is a real shame since I'd be okay with the spy winning as a foregone conclussion if only they could devote some more time to seeing them come up with ways to get out of trouble that don't require exposition dumps at the end of the episode.

I was expecting something more along the lines of a couple different plot threads happening in different countries that we'd go back-and-forth on while slowly linking everything together, and all these one-episode gigs are everything but that, which disappoints me a bit.

Cornbread78

The last few episodes of Hyouka were great because Oreki and Chitanda felt like genuine, good friends at that point. I mean, both of them fully accept each other for who they are and there's not a shred of discomfort or antagonism.

It's so much better than usual male and female duos I commonly see in anime, where one side is usually dominant over the other, causally throwing insults and the like, making the whole friendship or romance feel mean-spirited. It's what makes me not want to watch Twin Star Exorcists, because after checking out how the duo acts in that after a few episodes I know that I'd be in for that sort of thing.

The thing of that is, there is no romance in the show right now. The two of them are just trying to get to know one another and are purposely chiding one another

One Outs - 'til the beginning of ep3

Well that was stupid. Might be a good show to have a laugh at but that's not for me.

Also, that opening went full DTL on me.

Ascheroth

Danball Senki #35

Short but sweet battle. Loved how
Sendou and Gouda slowly became bros (to some degree, lol) during the tournament.
Things are finally looking a bit brighter ...for a moment at least. Damned Innovators.

Gundam Build Fighters 2

Exposition sure is easier to handle when it's delivered by a mildly creepy old guy randomly showing up out of nowhere.

Well that was stupid. Might be a good show to have a laugh at but that's not for me.

Man, you do not have any sense of fun, do you.

pbayne

Also, that opening went full DTL on me.

Gotta chase that fujoshi money somehow.

Kare Kano 17-18

Cornbread you're still watching Kare Kano right? Make it a priority to get to 18.
Man what a juxtaposition of episodes. 17 is usual sweet just Arima and Yukino doing couple things, a bit of progress, usual fair.
Then 18 that whole scene with the cuts with Arima's hand i was thinking "Are they actually gonna...really...now?". Those scenes are such a sharp contrast with how child-like the tone was just one episode ago. And then well what happened after certainly happened and i did not expect it at all. I applaud the story for going there with the relationship, because not enough shows do, but im really curious as to how they follow it up(im trying to be vague, so apologizes if that sounds a bit weird).

Lol Anno just can't let a nice scene end the episode. Has to poke at some absract self-destructive internal conflict.

Super Lovers Episode 6
CiMgEeKU4AAw8Yl.jpg

Ikuyoshi gave the most emotional moment this time and really made me feel so sad for people who keep asking about Ren Ren like that like hes a nuisance, good for Ikuyoshi defending him.

Drama stuff was interesting.

Cornbread78

If Her Flag Breaks ep.10
eoRd9S3.png
AJeKGLc.png

Damn, the beauty contest will all the girls to kick off the festival in style. This was hilarious, even through all the double entendre comments during the super soaker induced swimsuit contest, which was hilarious... I wish this show just kept this fun lighthearted atmosphere and didn't always revert to the darkside stuff... Only a couple more episodes left to go.

Kare Kano 17-18
Cornbread you're still watching Kare Kano right? Make it a priority to get to 18.
Man what a juxtaposition of episodes. 17 is usual sweet just Arima and Yukino doing couple things, a bit of progress, usual fair.
Then 18 that whole scene with the cuts with Arima's hand i was thinking "Are they actually gonna...really...now?". Those scenes are such a sharp contrast with how child-like the tone was just one episode ago. And then well what happened after certainly happened and i did not expect it at all. I applaud the story for going there with the relationship, because not enough shows do, but im really curious as to how they follow it up(im trying to be vague, so apologizes if that sounds a bit weird).
Lol Anno just can't let a nice scene end the episode. Has to poke at some absract self-destructive internal conflict.

I'm right where you are, so I'll watch ep. 16-18 tonight.

Gundam Build Fighters 2

Exposition sure is easier to handle when it's delivered by a mildly creepy old guy randomly showing up out of nowhere.

Man, you do not have any sense of fun, do you.

I laughed plenty watching School Rumble, Nichijou and others.

This kind of show with dumb, somewhat over-the-top antics that don't feel particularly well directed or funnily written don't work for me at all.

I laughed plenty watching School Rumble, Nichijou and others.

This kind of show with dumb, somewhat over-the-top antics that don't feel particularly well directed or funnily written don't work for me at all.

See, I wouldn't consider One Outs a comedy. It's a gambling mindgames thriller in the vein of Akagi and Kaiji (the best of this genre in anime). The enjoyment I get out of the series is seeing the strategic interactions between the characters and seeing what crazy schemes the protagonist will come up to lead him to his desired result. If you don't enjoy that sort of thing, that's fine, but you're really missing out!

Your Lie in April still makes me emotional.

I really enjoyed my time with Your Lie in April. One of the very few shows on my MAL with a 10.

It's a shame there isn't more stuff out there like Your Lie in April and Clannad.

Have you watched Full Moon Wo Sagashite? That is another real tear jerker..

Clannad and Your Lie in April are fantastic. But there is other stuff out there like them that are really good. Anohana and Toradora are good examples. Although Toradora leans more heavily into its comedy. But I wouldn't blink at saying that YLiA and Clannad are the highs of their genre.

Opinions and all that, but yeah, Clannad is amazing.

I am so glad you are still here after I left and sporadically come back.

Your Lie in April didn't really do anything for me, Anohana and Clannad were better

I am surprised by that actually if you did enjoy Anohana and Clannad. I thought Your Lie in April did a wonderful job.

I'm surprised I haven't watched Anohana yet. It's next on my list along with Guilty Crown.

Anohana is pretty good. Not Clannad good, but it tries. I enjoyed my time with it.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis Episode 23 (engdub)

Keep getting worried because they keep putting the episodes up late but at least it comes eventually.

Good episode overall though I wished for a different outcome
Misaki lost when she had the best plan possible, cheating rules allowing new G ability to introduce in this cardfight!! really??? Hopefully Toshiki Kai destroys Shion next episode

I loved the cards this episode because Oracle Think Tank is tied for Nova Grapplers for me for probably 1st or 2nd clan (Kagerou is still the best one). Misaki superior ride both Goddess of the Full Moon Tsukuyomi and Goddess of the Half Moon Tsukuyomi and then excited me with the Diety Who Governs Night Tsukuyomi, all the Tsukuyomis are perfect.
CiMn3YMWwAAzx6J.jpg

I also liked a few of the new Neo Nectars though thats still a clan overall that is just really dull. oh well Ramunculus Flower Maiden Asha and Ramunculus in Glorious Asha were the highlights.

Hyokua is never getting a second season.

:|

Some day, maybe.

The day Hyouka gets a second season is the day I will implode.

You are a wealth of positively, Shard.

Always hold onto hope. Except those FMP people, they should stop hoping.

Yeah... At this point I just want a blu-ray release. That's all... My hope for a second season is almost completely snuffed out.

Nothing like crushing hopes and dreams before breakfast. Also, that third season of Haruhi is never coming.

At least it got a movie... So...

See, I wouldn't consider One Outs a comedy. It's a gambling mindgames thriller in the vein of Akagi and Kaiji (the best of this genre in anime). The enjoyment I get out of the series is seeing the strategic interactions between the characters and seeing what crazy schemes the protagonist will come up to lead him to his desired result. If you don't enjoy that sort of thing, that's fine, but you're really missing out!
One Outs is also markedly worse than those other shows, especially with how poor it is at handling its characters and establishing meaningful conflict. I suppose it's okay if you want to see a dull character do everything to perfection playing a make believe sport competing against paper thin antagonists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom