• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

Armored Trooper Votoms 14

So this is pretty much the Vietnam War with giant robots now? It makes for a really nice change of setting!

Cornbread78

Anohana ep.1-3
This is really good so far, but man, it has such a weird tone to it. I mean, it not hope, it's not despair, but it is a weird feeling that I just can't put my finger on just yet. I did get a chuckle out of the Nokemon scenes as they tried to catch them all and weRe throwing out names of the ones they needed. Also, the premise of Jintao
being able to see touch and communicate with her real ghost, but there being a separate ghost of her out there
is really interesting. So yeah, pretty locked in at this point.

Does not compute. Try did this from episode 1 and three times worse.

I don't think I'm remembering wrong but the build knuckle was ridiculous. It was like a boring version of the shining/burning finger finisher. It ruined every fight in the last few episode.

I also don't remember Try doing it this intense or even doing it at all to be honest.

I don't think I'm remembering wrong but the build knuckle was ridiculous. It was like a boring version of the shining/burning finger finisher. It ruined every fight in the last few episode.

I also don't remember Try doing it this intense or even doing it at all to be honest.

JIGEN HAOH RYUUUUU...

JIGEN HAOH RYUUUUU...

But was that the same as the build knuckle? The build knuckle was just Reiji instant win move. Correct me if I'm wrong since it's been a while since I watched it but did the build knuckle ever lose?

Also Kamiki thing was way cooler and not an instant win every time it was used.

Narag

Ask Narag

As bad as 0083 or the 00 movie.

Armored Trooper Votoms 14

So this is pretty much the Vietnam War with giant robots now? It makes for a really nice change of setting!

I wish more people watched votoms :(

But was that the same as the build knuckle? The build knuckle was just Reiji instant win move. Correct me if I'm wrong since it's been a while since I watched but did the build knuckle ever lose?

Also Kamiki thing was way cooler and not an instant win every time it was used.

Sekai was worthless. Should've given more screentime to future Meijin Kawaguchi IV Yuuma Kousaka.

DANBEST SENKI W - 19

CiOVBL-WkAA-3wN.jpg:large

giphy.gif

YES.

YES.

YES.

BAN V.S. HIRO WAS LIKE FREAKING POKEMON'S RED V.S. GOLD FIGHT.

DANBALL SENKI IS SO GOOD.

YES.

rrvv

Does not compute. Try did this from episode 1 and three times worse.

Not really, Martial art is Build Burning gimmick. So i have no issue that it doing its job.

Is just that Star Build have much more arsenal. Buster Rifle, Beam Absorbing Shield, Wings of Light, Beam Funnel, etc. Yet he just punch shit out of it. Wasted potential really

Tuck

Stray Dogs - 6
The characters are saving this show for me.

As a detective show, it kind of falls flat because the mysteries are so easily solved. Characters come up with the solution instantaneously without much digging and then spend some time explaining it.

The main plotline with the port mafia also falls flat because the port mafia is lame and their villain is too.

I like the characters though, so I'll keep watching.

manfestival

I really appreciate the suggestions for cyborg 009 and devilman the other day. I am going to make a day and binge watch a couple of those when I get a chance.

so I just watched the first episode of prison school and this show is hilarious. I don't usually find anime comedies to be funny but its actually really funny despite relying heavily on ecchi for its comedy.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno. Most of it presented in a pretty "ridiculous" way in one way or another. Some of it is ironic, like the train story, and is only "funny" because he got owned by his own arrogance and the LOLface the train had ended being ironic humor.

In the case of Nyanta and Lovepon, I think it's meant to be tragic black humor where the audience can laugh at their quirky means of dealing with their abuse, but it doesn't have to be funny to be interesting in this case. The abuse itself isn't funny but the trauma itself can be.

Obviously black humor is not for everyone, but I don't think it is humor at the expense of victims so much as laughing at how the world can be messed up and people can have weird way of dealing with that.

Wait, so this is supposed to be a black comedy? No wonder I was so confused by what this show was going for.

Seemed like an actually interesting supernatural mystery thriller at first, and didn't know what to think when it seemed to turn into a really bad horror. Everything makes a lot more sense now, particularly the botox head thing.

Still doesn't seem to be very good no matter what genre it is.

Anohana ep.1-3
This is really good so far, but man, it has such a weird tone to it. I mean, it not hope, it's not despair, but it is a weird feeling that I just can't put my finger on just yet. I did get a chuckle out of the Nokemon scenes as they tried to catch them all and weRe throwing out names of the ones they needed. Also, the premise of Jintao
being able to see touch and communicate with her real ghost, but there being a separate ghost of her out there

Bittersweet maybe? The show is not known/well-received for despair but it will still give the feels/tears. And glad you're enjoying it!

phaze

This week episode of BSD is anime original, right?

If /a/ is to believed, it is based on a spin-off LN with a flashback arc, which anime staff transplanted into the present time.

Kare Kano ep.17
Wait, what? Arima, did you really just
forcefullyrics throw her back into a wall and tell her she couldn't leave?
Damn son... I get it, but wasn't expecting that right there... more interesting is that while she was surprised, she didn't care at all.

It's Arima. And Arima sucks, quelle surprise. An overwrought drama queen and a rapist waiting to happen.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Love Live Movie - µ's takes Manhattan

Unecessary and superfluous? Maybe. Still fun? Yeah.

The big problem is that it's retreading on a problem already resolved by the show. They had already established they were going to break up and let new generations take the limelight. The film should have focused more of them using the concert to communicate that message rather than them second guessing their decision. That and the New York part seemed to whiz by.

Also why did they repeat the Umi despair joke but make it worse than before? That's not how fan service works.

Also Future Honoka answers all the mysteries of the show like: who took all the photos for the merchandise they discovered in episode...4(?). It makes no sense for photo based merch to have been made without their knowing unless the one who took said photos was from the future!

Cornbread78

Bungou ep.6
Not a bad setup episode, but not really strong either since all the action is next week. Comedy at the beginning was pretty good, but again, overall the show just continues to be alright.

Jintor

Also Future Honoka answers all the mysteries of the show like: who took all the photos for the merchandise they discovered in episode...4(?). It makes no sense for photo based merch to have been made without their knowing unless the one who took said photos was from the future!

Secret Hints that the Love Live competition is a big conspiracy to steal IP rights from high schools!!!!!!

Cornbread78

It's Arima. And Arima sucks, quelle surprise. An overwrought drama queen and a rapist waiting to happen.

This one came out of nowhere though since he hasn't been "that guy" up to this point. I guess he turns asshole soon then.

Bittersweet maybe? The show is not known/well-received for despair but it will still give the feels/tears. And glad you're enjoying it!

Yeah, bittersweet might be an outcome afterwards but they are trying to balance between showing
Jinto's struggle with Men's death and hikki lifestyle reaction, but they also include all the dry humping stuff with her "ghost" as well

Szadek

Log Horizon 2 - Ep. 7-8
Fortunately the anime tied up one of the majoy plot lines and most of smaller ones as well.
I really liked Akatsuki's development and the fight against the serial killer was pretty great as well.
Looks like we are getting back to Shiroe and the raid. I'm excited for that.

Eumi

Been watching this over the past week or so and I just want to say how amazed I am that they managed to make what is almost a training arc not just the first arc, but possibly one of the strongest first arcs I've seen. Is this whole show the exam because I'd be super ok with that if it actually was.

Honestly kind of worried I might lose interest when the actual plot kicks in.

Been watching this over the past week or so and I just want to say how amazed I am that they managed to make what is almost a training arc not just the first arc, but possibly one of the strongest first arcs I've seen. Is this whole show the exam because I'd be super ok with that if it actually was.

2011 version I assume?

By far best arc is the Yorknew City one which starts around episode 37.

If you're watching the 2011 version, you should be sure to go watch the 1999 anime which is a vastly superior version of the first several arcs. After finishing the 1999 anime, which goes through Yorkshin, my favorite arc is still the Hunter Exam. But there's good staff afterwards as well.

Eumi

If you're watching the 2011 version, you should be sure to go watch the 1999 anime which is a vastly superior version of the first several arcs. After finishing the 1999 anime, which goes through Yorkshin, my favorite arc is still the Hunter Exam. But there's good staff afterwards as well.

I might go watch the 1999 version after, but since this version has more adapted I'd rather stick with this for now. Looking forward to maybe having another Shonen to go through since I hate almost all of them bar dragon ball z, and even then I can only watch the Kai version.

Kyuur

You'll find each arc completely different than the next; even if you don't like one I would recommend pushing through. Everyone has their preference on which arc they like best; I personally think they're all fantastic and get better as they go along (CA>GI>YS, sorry guys).

Is Heavens Arena really better in the 99 version? It looked so good in 2011.

JulianImp

Anohana ep.1-3

My only gripe with the show up to that part is the gratuitious fanservice Ep1 delivered. Thankfully, the it drops those kind of scenes on that very episode, so the rest don't contain random fanservice comedy.

Cornbread78

My only gripe with the show up to that part is the gratuitious fanservice Ep1 delivered. Thankfully, the it drops those kind of scenes on that very episode, so the rest don't contain random fanservice comedy.

Yeah, those scenes threw me off a bit as I was trying to figure what the heck was going on....

Black Jack OVA 3

I'm not sure what the best part of this episode was. Was it the obvious stand-in for the US in the aggressively militaristic and fraudulently democratic Federal Unites? Was it Maria throwing herself onto Black Jack in bed, whereupon Black Jack's reaction was to lean back, throw his hands behind his bed, and essentially go "You think this will interest me? I've got women throwing themselves at me all the time."? Or was it performing a surgery by moonlight and firefly light in front of a waterfall while guerrilla warfare raged all around? So many options.

Joe Molotov

That second picture scared the shit out of me until I realized what I was looking at.

It seemed fitting because in one scene, the main girl is trying to draw a cat, but the cat gets up and walks through mud and then walks over her sketchbook, leaving muddy paw prints. :3

Black Jack OVA 3

I'm not sure what the best part of this episode was. Was it the obvious stand-in for the US in the aggressively militaristic and fraudulently democratic Federal Unites? Was it Maria throwing herself onto Black Jack in bed, whereupon Black Jack's reaction was to lean back, throw his hands behind his bed, and essentially go "You think this will interest me? I've got women throwing themselves at me all the time."? Or was it performing a surgery by moonlight and firefly light in front of a waterfall while guerrilla warfare raged all around? So many options.

Sounds like a great comedy.

The OVAs are pretty variable. Some episodes are great, others are completely awful and nonsensical. Plus the direction has a lot of quirks that get tiresome really quickly.

I watched a few episodes of Young Black Jack last season, but I just couldn't take the show seriously at all. I just dropped it lol.

blurr

I saw some Black Jack on animax, I have no idea which season or series it was but I really really liked his character, enjoyed the show too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom