• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

One Outs - 'til the beginning of ep3

Well that was stupid. Might be a good show to have a laugh at but that's not for me.

Also, that opening went full DTL on me.

heh you stopped right when it stops being garbage :p

the first few eps of one outs are just bad.
the rest is great, lots of solid comedy in it.

pbayne

Kare Kano End...Er really, thats the end? OK i guess but...really?

Those last few episodes do leave a bad taste in your mouth. Its sad to see a show that had such a strong visual identity get hobbled towards its end. And just no effort to resolve the story at all. Arima's character gets it the worst. Its all over the place those last few episodes and he's a wet blanket that spoils the fun in any scene. Would have liked to have seen the play, at least that might have been a decent stopping point.

A real bummer. Oh well, 1-20 great show. 21-26, er ah go the manga instead i guess.

Sterok

Anne Happy 6

Hibari and Ren continue to carry the group. Those are some very clever monkeys seeing what they did to steal a lunch. I guess the teacher is useful sometimes after all.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-11/crackle-to-stream-robotech-tv-series-film/.102000
"H-h-hey, guys! Remember Robotech? We're totally streaming on Crackle! See? We're totally hip and happening with the anime crowd! Who needs those modern 'Macrosses' brought over stateside when you can watch an 80's classic from the good ol' days? Idols and rock bands are all lame, right?"

But in all seriousness, burn in hell Harmony Gold. You're now significantly worse than 4Kids.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can't speak of Black Jack, but I can talk of Young Black Jack, well at least my friend Steve can. He told me it lost the plot, took a step in the wrong direction and just like that there was no saving it.

Danball Senki 01-06

What the hell man I thought this was about just kids playing with robots!! Now we have an assassination plot using the robots to do it with!?

I played the first few chapters of the 3DS game back when it came out, and the plot is the same between the two mediums. I was surprised by how dark it got real soon, with an attempted murder and all. I probably would have enjoyed it a bit more if the characters weren't as young as they are in the first season. Not sure how old they are afterwards, but yeah.

Girls und Panzer Der Film getting screenings in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Where is the Panzer love for the old world?

It seemed fitting because in one scene, the main girl is trying to draw a cat, but the cat gets up and walks through mud and then walks over her sketchbook, leaving muddy paw prints. :3

Adorable as hell

mpc-hc2012-02-0415-00jxs8w.jpg

blurr

Rewatched episode 23 of Shirobako for the umpteenth time - I realized how much of 3rd Aerial Girls squad anime is reflective to their own motivations of working in a creative field. They really needed a happy ending for all that they went through into making it. This is also made clear when Nogame points out that for Kinoshita the characters are his production team.

Show definitely warrants a rewatch from the beginning but I'm gonna hold on to it for a little longer considering it is something I watched relatively recently.

I currently don't have anything in my watching queue though, might just wrap up Idolm@ster CG with season 2. I can't even bring myself to watch an anime episode during weekdays (-__-).

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kuromukuro 5
Ken trying his best with e-dictionary was funny. So is that sebastian guy. Probably just me, but that drawing looks like a picture of panda.

Hey, I'm not saying people should go and watch all of Mobile Suit Gundam. The movie trilogy, however, is fairly digestible!

I don't actually feel like you need any prior Gundam experience going into GBF but it does enrich the experience.

I do know who Ramba Ral is! I'm actually reading through the Gundam the Origin manga right now, which is probably superior to even the movie version of the original series. Fabulous art.

pbayne

Giant Robo 6

Lol why do people even need mecha in this universe when they're all already ultra bad asses? Man, penultimate episode=eh lets throw 7 or 8 new characters at you. Daisaku's arc still seems like a piece is missing, now that's hes more or less rejected the idea of adulthood(or at least Murasame's version of it) but he still clings to his father's idealistic ideals rather than find his own, so im not entirely sure where his characters at. He's definitely showing signs of maturity though so maybe he'll forge his own path to adulthood?

While im on that tangent, why are a lot of mechas so deeply encoded in masculine terms and ideals? Like im interested in how that started and why? Obviously not all mecha shows(and its a fairly broad theme in lots of entertainment), but a fair sub-genre of them are loaded with ideals of surpassing or living up a father figures expectations or have characters with oedipal tendencies. Like why has that become so attached to the mecha genre in particular? Or maybe im crazy and just haven't seen enough mecha shows lol.

Fruits Basket 11

The extended cast of characters over-shadow the love triangle a lot at times, which i don't even mind. For once id like to see the cold, aloof guy Yuki be the choice but general anime romance logic tells me shy tsundere Kyo will be the guy at the end.(That is if the romance ever has an actual end)

Jex

I do know who Ramba Ral is! I'm actually reading through the Gundam the Origin manga right now, which is probably superior to even the movie version of the original series. Fabulous art.

I've never read The Origin but I doubt that you are right.

I appreciate the Movie Trilogy but I can't say that I enjoyed the process of watching it. It's not as painfully dull as the original Yamato but it is very dry and stilted.

Eumi

So I'm five minutes into this episode and I just had to stop to post this.

Is every character aside from Houtarou supposed to be a huge cunt? Because they are.

They've spent this whole arc encouraging him to own his talent for mystery solving, and then abandon him when it comes to actually solving it. When he gets it wrong, they call him out on it as though he fucked up from his arrogance, when all he did was exactly what everyone told him to.

The other guy is a jealous prick, which would be fine if he wasn't the one convincing Houtarou he was special.

Main girl has literally never had a conversation with him that hasn't been her demanding he solve mysteries for her, and then has the gall to be all disappointed when he gets it wrong, despite his insitence that he isn't that good at it.

Side girl has just been a downright bitch to him the whole time, which is kind of her character but when put next to the other two it kind of comes across as just cruel rather than funny. Houtarou has literally never done a thing to her and yet she takes any opportunity she can to tear him down.

I feel like this show is trying to show how awesome friendship is, but at this point in the series I just feel bad for Houtarou as he's forced to follow the whims of his 'friends' and then have them all turn on him the minute he doesn't live up to their expectations.

I'm sure the show will move past this and get all happy again soon, but boy does it piss me off how Houtarou is being treated, and the fact that the show is almost implying that I should be disappointed in him too isn't helping.

So I'm five minutes into this episode and I just had to stop to post this.

Is every character aside from Houtarou supposed to be a huge cunt? Because they are.

They've spent this whole arc encouraging him to own his talent for mystery solving, and then abandon him when it comes to actually solving it. When he gets it wrong, they call him out on it as though he fucked up from his arrogance, when all he did was exactly what everyone told him to.

The other guy is a jealous prick, which would be fine if he wasn't the one convincing Houtarou he was special.

Main girl has literally never had a conversation with him that hasn't been her demanding he solve mysteries for her, and then has the gall to be all disappointed when he gets it wrong, despite his insitence that he isn't that good at it.

Side girl has just been a downright bitch to him the whole time, which is kind of her character but when put next to the other two it kind of comes across as just cruel rather than funny. Houtarou has literally never done a thing to her and yet she takes any opportunity she can to tear him down.

I feel like this show is trying to show how awesome friendship is, but at this point in the series I just feel bad for Houtarou as he's forced to follow the whims of his 'friends' and then have them all turn on him the minute he doesn't live up to their expectations.

I'm sure the show will move past this and get all happy again soon, but boy does it piss me off how Houtarou is being treated, and the fact that the show is almost implying that I should be disappointed in him too isn't helping.

I think you're reading a layer of antagonism into the other characters' interactions with Oreki that isn't actually there. In addition, you're missing the point if you think the show is intending to present Oreki as a failure of a detective who the audience should be disappointed in. After all, the deck was stacked against him to begin with since the mystery presented to him was given under false pretenses. The point of the film arc for Oreki's character is to present that he has some gaps in his thinking when it comes to understanding other people, gaps that Chitanda can fill in for him from the more human-oriented perspective she comes from, and Irisu's manipulation of him makes him realize that. The final scene of episode 11 transitioning into the second half of the show is Oreki moving into a warmer view of human relations that makes him more complete as a person.

Cornbread78

Netoge ep.6
lVhjIVy.gif

Rusian got rekt by Ako in this episode, lol.... Well, not really, but the misunderstanding/confusion by both was hilarious. This should have been a straight SoL series, because it is a lot better then originally portrayed and at it's best just watching the characters interact.

Eumi

I think you're reading a layer of antagonism into the other characters' interactions with Oreki that isn't actually there. In addition, you're missing the point if you think the show is intending to present Oreki as a failure of a detective who the audience should be disappointed in. After all, the deck was stacked against him to begin with since the mystery presented to him was given under false pretenses. The point of the film arc for Oreki's character is to present that he has some gaps in his thinking when it comes to understanding other people, gaps that Chitanda can fill in for him from the more human-oriented perspective she comes from, and Irisu's manipulation of him makes him realize that. The final scene of episode 11 transitioning into the second half of the show is Oreki moving into a warmer view of human relations that makes him more complete as a person.

If the whole point is to show that he needs help to solve mysteries then why is everyone disappointed when he isn't able to do it by themselves. They all tack "oh but I'm not criticising you for being wrong" on to their confrontations, but it comes across as hollow when they spend the whole scene tearing into him as he gets more and more distressed. I have to stress again that Chitanda has never had a conversation with him that has not had her demanding he solve mysteries for her, not even their first meeting wasn't all about him playing detective for her. Their relationship is entirely one sided thus far, but Oreki doesn't owe her anything. After she, willingly or not, helps trick him into writing the script, it's incredibly arrogant of her to turn around and say "well you did exactly what everyone asked you to do, but I'm disappointed that you didn't solve the actual mystery I wanted you to solve but didn't tell you about". I feel like I'm supposed to see Chitanda as a foil to Oreki that helps him grow as a person, and in most ways that's what she is, but nothing actually suggests that she cares about him at all.

I know people probably won't agree with me, but I absolutely hate people who just expect others to do things for them. If this arc had been the same, but actually had Oreki become arrogant and proud of his detective skills rather than being guilted into it, I'd have no problems. It's the fact that everyone guilted him into a mindset that led to his downfall, and then admonished him for it that ruins it for me. He forced the mystery to fit his answer because no one would let him get away with not having an answer. They built him up, so the fact that they tear him down just seems out of character for everyone involved.

Edit: And after finishing the episode none of the characters apologise (because why would they since I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to have done anything wrong) but Oreki is still obviously hurt by their actions. It's going to be harder watching the rest of this show unless I can shake this. Plus that kind of implication at the end that his sister set the whole thing up seems incredibly cruel. It doesn't matter how much it may help him grow, if his sister thinks the best way to help him is to crush his spirit then I'm sorry but she is just a horrible person.

If the whole point is to show that he needs help to solve mysteries then why is everyone disappointed when he isn't able to do it by themselves. They all tack "oh but I'm not criticising you for being wrong" on to their confrontations, but it comes across as hollow when they spend the whole scene tearing into him as he gets more and more distressed. I have to stress again that Chitanda has never had a conversation with him that has not had her demanding he solve mysteries for her, not even their first meeting wasn't all about him playing detective for her. Their relationship is entirely one sided thus far, but Oreki doesn't owe her anything. After she, willingly or not, helps trick him into writing the script, it's incredibly arrogant of her to turn around and say "well you did exactly what everyone asked you to do, but I'm disappointed that you didn't solve the actual mystery I wanted you to solve but didn't tell you about". I feel like I'm supposed to see Chitanda as a foil to Oreki that helps him grow as a person, and in most ways that's what she is, but nothing actually suggests that she cares about him at all.

I know people probably won't agree with me, but I absolutely hate people who just expect others to do things for them. If this arc had been the same, but actually had Oreki become arrogant and proud of his detective skills rather than being guilted into it, I'd have no problems. It's the fact that everyone guilted him into a mindset that led to his downfall, and then admonished him for it that ruins it for me. He forced the mystery to fit his answer because no one would let him get away with not having an answer. They built him up, so the fact that they tear him down just seems out of character for everyone involved.

I don't think "guilted" is the right word to use here. Ultimately Oreki got involved because he became engaged in the mystery; he enjoys figuring out solutions for mysteries and so wanted to solve this one. Irisu is just using him as means to an end, but Chitanda, Satoshi, and Mayaka are not. Due to the framework of this series mysteries of one sort or another are the main subject of conversation, but I think it's mistaken to interpret Chitanda as just desiring a one-sided relationship with Oreki. She asks what she asks from Oreki because she considers him more intelligent and capable than herself. She genuinely admires him and cares about him, and they only grow closer over the course of the series.

You also have to remember that we're seeing an emotionally charged version of events from Oreki's perspective as he realizes his mistakes. I don't think his friends were intending to make him as distressed as he ultimately became, and I think the heightened presentation of the show, as with the smoker in an earlier episode, gives the events a more teenage melodrama flair than would be present in "reality".

Hm... Marnie in cinemas here now. Should I go watch it? :p

Yes, it's a great film.

Eumi

I don't think "guilted" is the right word to use here. Ultimately Oreki got involved because he became engaged in the mystery; he enjoys figuring out solutions for mysteries and so wanted to solve this one. Irisu is just using him as means to an end, but Chitanda, Satoshi, and Mayaka are not. Due to the framework of this series mysteries of one sort or another are the main subject of conversation, but I think it's mistaken to interpret Chitanda as just desiring a one-sided relationship with Oreki. She asks what she asks from Oreki because she considers him more intelligent and capable than herself. She genuinely admires him and cares about him, and they only grow closer over the course of the series.

You also have to remember that we're seeing an emotionally charged version of events from Oreki's perspective as he realizes his mistakes. I don't think his friends were intending to make him as distressed as he ultimately became, and I think the heightened presentation of the show, as with the smoker in an earlier episode, gives the events a more teenage melodrama flair than would be present in "reality".

Since I literally added my edit as you posted this I may as well throw it here too since you may not have seen it, but if it turns out his sister was on board with crushing him emotionally and then the show tries to convince us she cares for and looks out for him in just not going to be able to buy that. I think the problem here is Oreki's whole situation kind of mirrors my own experiences of having people build you up against your will for their own ends only to turn on you when you fail. And yes, that came with a shit ton of 'teenage melodrama' so you're definitely on to something there.

Since I literally added my edit as you posted this I may as well throw it here too since you may not have seen it, but if it turns out his sister was on board with crushing him emotionally and then the show tries to convince us she cares for and looks out for him in just not going to be able to buy that. I think the problem here is Oreki's whole situation kind of mirrors my own experiences of having people build you up against your will for their own ends only to turn on you when you fail. And yes, that came with a shit ton of 'teenage melodrama' so you're definitely on to something there.

I figured something like that was the case. I can understand how, if you feel a parallel between Oreki's situation and your own, you would feel upset with the show, but I would caution against reading too much of your personal experiences into a fictional work. You'll probably be the sort of person who really appreciates Hyouka 11.5, so be sure to watch that.

Eumi

I figured something like that was the case. I can understand how, if you feel a parallel between Oreki's situation and your own, you would feel upset with the show, but I would caution against reading too much of your personal experiences into a fictional work. You'll probably be the sort of person who really appreciates Hyouka 11.5, so be sure to watch that.

If anything this whole conversation has made me appreciate the show more, so don't worry about me getting out off by it.

Cornbread78

If Her Flag Breaks ep.11
Ok, what just happened?
virtual world? Erased memories? Why is Manami never affected? This makes no sense..
They completely did a 180 on the plot that they had established previously with the council, etc. Not sure what to make of that change this late in the game....

Grexeno

Attack on the Smoke Monster from Lost 05

Hooray! Everyone is going to die because Mumei can't stop killing zombies!

Nicholas Cage Presents: Assassination Classroom Second Season 18

"We're going to hijack the International Space Station and steal the Declaration of Independence."

Kabeneri - 05

Oh man was that piano music on the nose when Mumei acted like a bitch when they were strategizing.

For how many of you proclaimed Mumei to be such a better protagonist than Eren, she sure is trying her best to trump his rage-boner and stupidity.

e: Or well, I think most compared Ikoma to Eren. Either way Mumei is becoming an increasingly obnoxious moron.

Kanberi of the Iron Fortress Episode 5:

Well, at least we are past the trust issues for the most part.

I hope we are, but Mumei's behavior sure isn't helpful in that regard.

JCG

Kabeneri - 05

e: Or well, I think most compared Ikoma to Eren. Either way Mumei is becoming an increasingly obnoxious moron.

I hope we are, but Mumei's behavior sure isn't helpful in that regard.

I guess the key question would be: is the show siding with her about it or not?

Kabaneri 05

Mumei may have screwed up, but Ikoma simply leaving the crane unattended was a huge mistake too. Come on man, you have hundreds of people on that train depending on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom