• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Bakuon!! Episode 1:

This was surprisingly decent all things considered. Not going to be on many top 10 lists but I wasn't bored at any point like I was with Kuma Mika from the other day. Also, wouldn't shock me if this ends up being better than the upcoming season of Top Gear.

Sterok

Sailor Moon Crystal S3 1

Or is it episode 27? Not sure which way I'm supposed to do it. Anyway, I think Pharaoh 90 already has more lines than he did in the entirety of the first anime. Now they have 3 people who can see the future apparently. Usagi almost acted mature in that opening monologue. So Haruka is publicly seen as a guy here. Ami should've raced her in the arcade. Ami and Rei have the smart idea not getting involved in that messy love business. For once Usagi didn't get angry at Mamoru talking to another girl. Rei knows how to insult, and Ami drives it in good. Venus keeps getting the best attacks. Pretty good first episode actually. Hopefully they can keep this up.

Epcott

I'm watching Macross Delta now and...

WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO MY FUCKING MAAAACROSSSSS?!

They had me interested with the Var Syndrome and some guy saving a stowaway and another girl from the Jenius family and some kinda Walkire agents sneaking around and whats going on now they're flying planes to fight the zombie people in robots whats... Whats going... OMGWTF Superdimensional Venus idol girls flying valkyries and performing arial concerts in moe magical girl outfits what the shojikawamourihell is going on? Ggggfhhhhhhah! Noooo not like this!

But seriously, this hurts my soul. So fellow Macross vets, I'm I judging to hard too soon?

Pan de Peace! 01 : Why is this show only 3 minutes? I need 25 minutes of this slice-of-bread anime and all it's delicious looking food.

Kuma Miko 01 : Really chill show. I'll continue watching because it's pretty funny (although the first one was kind of boring). The ending song is fun and lively, probably my favorite so far this season.

My Hero Academia 01 : The opening song is sooo good and the ending isn't far behind it. The animation is pretty good, better than some Shonen shows. I'll keep watching it since I'm a sucker for Shonen anime and I haven't gotten far into the manga.

Line_HTX

They had me interested with the Var Syndrome and some guy saving a stowaway and another girl from the Jenius family and some kinda Walkire agents sneaking around and whats going on now they're flying planes to fight the zombie people in robots whats... Whats going... OMGWTF Superdimensional Venus idol girls flying valkyries and performing arial concerts in moe magical girl outfits what the shojikawamourihell is going on? Ggggfhhhhhhah! Noooo not like this!

But seriously, this hurts my soul. So fellow Macross vets, I'm I judging to hard too soon?

You don't like transformation sequences and group idol concerts to combat the virus?

:lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hundred
m9nl9Fvl.jpg

tY5U3arl.jpg

Holy shit, someone finally made an Infinite Stratos clone. Complete with a girl pretending to be a boy and sharing a room with the harem protagonist and a blonde oujo-sama with princess curls.

Fucking anime. lol

Cornbread78

Cerberus ep.1
Friggen loli antagonists are always the worst.... The action wasn't too bad and it has an interesting premise, so I'll give this one sone time though since it's an easy replacement for Bahamut on Mondays.

Szadek

Hundred - Ep. 1
or as I like to call it Chivalry of an Undefeated Asterisk.
It's just like these shows, except somehow even blander.
The op is really awful,too.

Epcott

You don't like transformation sequences and group idol concerts to combat the virus?

:lol

>;-(

No!

Even the male protagonist had a "WTF is going on" comment before the valkyries began dancing. The ariel combat later on was great, but the girls ruined it when they began surfing on top the planes.

They showed a
transformed super dimensional fortress
after the credits, so I may stick around for episode 2. But things are looking pretty bleak. This feeling in my stomach right now, I think it's anger.

Bakuon!! Episode 1:

This was surprisingly decent all things considered. Not going to be on many top 10 lists but I wasn't bored at any point like I was with Kuma Mika from the other day. Also, wouldn't shock me if this ends up being better than the upcoming season of Top Gear.

i liked it too, the talking bike cracks me up

hasnt macross been about space mecha idols for two decades

Epcott

It's always been about space idols. But there was a certain amount of restraint. This feels like jumping the shark, if such a thing is even possible in an anime series where a singing girl helps end an intergalactic war.

Edit: Btw My Hero Academia 1 was amazing. Ace Attorney 1 was ok I suppose. Never played the game so I missed most of the references other than "objection".

It's always been about space idols. But there was a certain amount of restraint. This feels like jumping the shark, if such a thing is even possible in an anime series where a singing girl helps end an intergalactic war.

Lol at Macross having restraint. You obviously need to go watch Macross 7.

More like 4 decades. Though 90s Macross was about rock music playing hippies using their music to make space elf vampires orgasm. And a protagonist who wanted to move a mountain by playing his guitar. You know, restrained things.

pbayne

Aria 4

Hey a character whos name dosen't start with A.
Pretty touching episode and it confirmed my suspicions that the cats have some sort of mystical quality within the world. Interesting that they omitted that sometimes the sylphs would surely have to carry bad news at times, though i guess it wouldn't quite match the tone of the series.
Still love how in love the show is with its own setting.

Cornbread78

Hundred ep.1
Paint by numbers LN, lol. Everything about it oozes generic, but I'm game. It's so obvious Emilio is a girl as well.... Bakka MC, bakka..

Gintama 261

That ending really got me. The resolution to the promise, particularly the poetic transformation
passing into death
, was very satisfying and sweet. Classic romance.

Also there were a lot of twists and political scheming, but whatever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aria 4

Hey a character whos name dosen't start with A.
Pretty touching episode and it confirmed my suspicions that the cats have some sort of mystical quality within the world. Interesting that they omitted that sometimes the sylphs would surely have to carry bad news at times, though i guess it wouldn't quite match the tone of the series.
Still love how in love the show is with its own setting.
It's funny because people hate this episode since it is clearly an "original" episode not based on the manga.

Epcott

Lol at Macross having restraint. You obviously need to go watch Macross 7.

Heh I actually loooooved Fire Bomber.

But oh man, I don't know.... If Basara rode a valkyrie like a surfboard while singing and a chorus line of other VF began dancing while another VF fights bad guys while kinda sorta breakdancing while milky-doll like girls (in a mix of Sharon Apple meets Madoka Magika) skydived into the battlefield... I don't think anything like that ever happened before. If it did, I may have zapped out, but perhaps it did?

But now that the anger has subsided, well see what episode 2 brings.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Entirely based off the source material of course. It'd take a REALLY shitty adaptation to ruin the source.

But yeah true.
Does it ever rise beyond its premise? I think it was funny as a manga for a few chapters, but I imagine it's hard to tell a story about the most awesome guy in the world for 12 episodes at 20 minutes a pop (or whatever).

Cerberus - 1

I actually enjoyed this more than I expected to. It reminded me of a Tales game. I was practically picturing in my head how this show would play out if this were part of that series.

Ironically, the reason I think I enjoyed it the most for was that I didn't hear a shred of video game terms in the show used as the world-building.

I was expecting some obnoxious LN harem anime trope to show up, but it didn't do anything trashy. Whether or not it'll stay this way remains to be seen, but yeah, I found myself more engrossed than I thought I would be. I'll stick with this for now.

jgminto

Is Sakamoto a full length show? It seems like the comedic timing could turn out really poor if it's not directed well in that format.

Does it ever rise beyond its premise? I think it was funny as a manga for a few chapters, but I imagine it's hard to tell a story about the most awesome guy in the world for 12 episodes at 20 minutes a pop (or whatever).

Has it been confirmed it's 20 minute episodes? The manga would fit perfectly on half episode/anime short format. As to the premise the show always revolves around how they met. But similarly to how Tonari no Seki Kun always revolves around the same premise for each episode, so does this.

Has it been confirmed it's 20 minute episodes? The manga would fit perfectly on half episode/anime short format. As to the premise the show always revolves around how they met. But similarly to how Tonari no Seki Kun always revolves around the same premise for each episode, so does this.

Yes, it's a regular-length show. It airs on TBS' Thursday night hour block right after Shounen Maid.

I said a long time ago that I doubted if Sakamoto could work as an anime, and the stale anime trailer did nothing to change that. But we'll see; maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

pbayne

It's funny because people hate this episode since it is clearly an "original" episode not based on the manga.

Is it? Can't say i really noticed much of a difference in general tone or approach. Other than it was the first episode that had a very "we want the viewer to feel this way" but eh i thought it was done well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it? Can't say i really noticed much of a difference in general tone or approach. Other than it was the first episode that had a very "we want the viewer to feel this way" but eh i thought it was done well.
Yeah, I liked the episode as well. But if you were here long enough, you'll remember a poster named 7th who thought it was completely out of place. Certainly the show didn't really enter the realm of magic realism until The Natural anyway.

rrvv

Takamatsu Shinji is directing Sakamoto. Should be fine

Actually Sakamoto desu ka story is not just about awesome guy. Is more about bullying in general which get pretty interesting until the end.

Yes, it's a regular-length show. It airs on TBS' Thursday night hour block right after Shounen Maid.

I said a long time ago that I doubted if Sakamoto could work as an anime, and the stale anime trailer did nothing to change that. But we'll see; maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

huh

any hopes from the team behind it on whether it can work as a 20 minutes show?

I didn't even know it had enough source material for 12-13 20 minute episodes

Moonlight

Banned
Is it fine to just skip straight to Sailor Moon Crystal S3? Dropped it and haven't really thought about it since the second episode of the show, but word of mouth seems good for this season, and the designs no longer look like hot garbage, so... I kinda wanna jump in.

Gunslinger Girl 2

It was a bit weird to have a substantial portion of this episode be a reedit of scenes from the first episode with additional material thrown in. But that, and where the rest of this episode went, made me strongly notice how atypical this show's handling of its subject matter is. Normally when a show features what are essentially government counter-terrorism operatives, a substantial amount of time would be devoted to the investigation, planning, and execution of the operations they're doing. But Gunslinger Girl isn't interested in any of that. We get only the barest sketch of the purpose of the operations and killings going on - they're looking for a key witness in... something, and there are opposing forces trying to keep him hidden. But just as the girls aren't concerned about the political or criminal details behind the operation, only about following orders, the show is more concerned about the effect this kind of lifestyle has on the people in it. This episode is all about showing Henrietta's relationship with her handler - the intense dehumanizing effect her conditioning has had on her, and how her handler despite that reaches for anything that will keep her and himself human. It's really fascinating.
Enjoyed reading this a lot. Henrietta's relationship with her handler is one of my favourite aspects of the show, and it really only gets more fascinating as the scope of the cast broadens a little more and you begin to see how others set the boundaries of their relationship.

EDIT: Oof. Genuinely struggling to imagine how you could spread Sakamoto out so thin as to cover thirteen 22 minute episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom