• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you didn't like Tanaka-kun then, you probably won't like it now. The show's been consistent.

I thought episode 1 wasn't so good. Episode 2 was a little better. I thought I had watched episode 3, but a quick synopsis showed me that I hadn't, since I never saw this character. Last episode I watched was of that short girl that wanted Tanaka to be her mentor. Maybe I should give it another episode or two, I sorta just stopped watching it and I feel that it may have been a bit too soon.

pbayne

Nijiiro Days 18

Huh unless Chaiba and Taizou are joining the main cast, i don't really get why they would deviate from the main couples at this point. Still a good episode and Keichi's brother was fun to see, just oddly placed imo.

JulianImp

Space Patrol Luluco apparently is great

It honestly doesn't manage to click for me. Like, ep7 was only "fun" because it was actually a honorary Kill la Kill episode.

I'm not sure if I should watch Nisekoi, from what I've seen of screenshots and snippets from episodes, it's been a lot of romantic relationship teasing and humor. I'll probably enjoy it but I don't know if I can take the 'teasing' forever.

The anime doesn't get to the part where the plot actually goes somewhere, so all you'll be getting is endless teasing and a slapstick humor situation every other scene. Please don't waste your time on this like I did, at least not until the part where things actually happen gets animated (even then, I'd suggest that you skip the first two seasons).

Narag

My Hero Academia 7

My lifetime of anger is predicated on someone making sure I was okay after a long fall when I was a kid.

Concrete Revolutio 19

Sometimes I do wish characters and events had a little more opportunity to breathe in this series. I think it would benefit from having twice the runtime. But it's hard to argue when the writing is as tight as it is, with everything so tightly linked and planned so that payoffs are coming left and right at this point. It'll be really interesting to see the fallout from the ending of this episode.

Rainbow Days Episode 18

Aw
I thought Taizou and Chiba were really going to be an item

This series is so good, I hope it inspires more shoujo with all male main characters to get animated, its so good. Keiichi was so good this episode with his smile and his tongue thingy.

bokuhero 07

naw this is boring as fuck. dropped, I'll keep reading the manga. Bakugou is even more insufferable in this, he's worse then Sasuke. Series would be better off if he died and everyone realized he was an ass and they just moved on.

blurr

I wouldn't call it great. It's just a fun, dumb show.

It honestly doesn't manage to click for me. Like, ep7 was only "fun" because it was actually a honorary Kill la Kill episode.

I don't know the reactions for each of the episodes ranged from "omg that was fun" to "IMAISHIT SAVING ANIME" so I figured saying "apparently great" wasn't too off the mark.

The anime doesn't get to the part where the plot actually goes somewhere, so all you'll be getting is endless teasing and a slapstick humor situation every other scene. Please don't waste your time on this like I did, at least not until the part where things actually happen gets animated (even then, I'd suggest that you skip the first two seasons).

I figured as much.

Sölf

Joker Game 06
Another good episode. I still need the OST as soon as possible. It also seems we finally get more of an overarching storyline soon, if the ending of this episode is anything to go by.

Eumi

So it sounds like MHA got to the bit where they try and justify the rival being a dick. Honestly that was the moment for me I realised no one in the manga was even slightly interesting, and since the premise of the whole thing had already disappeared at this point I just dropped the manga after that arc. It's a shame, because it could pick up later but at the glacial rate the anime moves I just don't care to hang around and find out.

Kiznaiver is easily my AOTS. Trigger put a bullet in my heart with that one.

I could see people enjoying MHA, even though I haven't watched it I read a pretty big chunk of the manga. It isn't anything out of this world, but there is quite a bit of heart to the lessons that it tries to teach about perseverance. That being said, everyone says the pacing in the anime is super slow, and I don't know why they would do that other than if they knew more seasons are coming. There is quite a bit of source material to pull from so they have no reason to be taking it THAT slow.

Diamond is Unbreakable 7

Man, no matter who storyboards or animates the episode, it's always chock full of wildly creative direction tricks (that door transition... among many others, of course!) and lovely detailed character art. Good show.

Re Zero 07

VBErwOn.jpg
4PduAAO.jpg
Betty for best character of this arc.

The last two episode have gone a long to to handle points I've seen raised about Subaru's handling of his current situation.
The curse that hangs on him is a very good method of ensuring he never tells anyone about his power because it strikes such fear into his heart.
And holy shit, this show is so fucking good at expressing the character's emotions in these situations. I could practically feels Subaru's desperation, fear and hopelessness when he discovered the reasons behind his murder and the level of terror
the curse strikes in him should he dare tell anyone about his power.

SalvaPot

So it sounds like MHA got to the bit where they try and justify the rival being a dick. Honestly that was the moment for me I realised no one in the manga was even slightly interesting, and since the premise of the whole thing had already disappeared at this point I just dropped the manga after that arc. It's a shame, because it could pick up later but at the glacial rate the anime moves I just don't care to hang around and find out.

What are you talking about? The whole point of his backstory is that there is no justification for him been a dick, he is just a dick because he was praised for his abilities from a young age. His only redeeming quality is that he has the ability and talent and a "worthy" goal, yet he is a terrible terrible person and pretty much every other character is aware of that and calls him out on it.

Tanaka 03

Picking up from where I stopped. Echizen was a nice addition to the show. I enjoy watching everyone interacting with Tanaka. He is pretty one-note with his listlessness, but what make the show fun to watch is everyone that is around him.

Thoraxes

Oh man, not again. I like the show and all but I am tired of them doing it on every episode. I get that you want us to watch next week, but come on now.
Ohoho, my post has a lot of meaning to it~
Re Zero 07

The last two episode have gone a long to to handle points I've seen raised about Subaru's handling of his current situation.
The curse that hangs on him is a very good method of ensuring he never tells anyone about his power because it strikes such fear into his heart.
And holy shit, this show is so fucking good at expressing the character's emotions in these situations. I could practically feels Subaru's desperation, fear and hopelessness when he discovered the reasons behind his murder and the level of terror
the curse strikes in him should he dare tell anyone about his power.
i gotta say that I really felt the weight of this episode. I don't know if it's the facial animations combined with some good voice acting, but I felt sick to my stomach at the situation in this episode, especially towards the end.

Eumi

What are you talking about? The whole point of his backstory is that there is no justification for him been a dick, he is just a dick because he was praised for his abilities from a young age. His only redeeming quality is that he has the ability and talent and a "worthy" goal, yet he is a terrible terrible person and pretty much every other character is aware of that and calls him out on it.

Yes. This is true. And it's incredibly boring. Like, he doesn't need some kind of tragic backstory but a little more than "he's mean because he's mean" might have helped him not come across as utterly pointless. It's a problem shared by pretty much all the characters, at least from what I read. None of them actually have any kind of interesting motive or backstory or character in any way, it feels more like they're there to fill out a Shonen cast. Deku had the opportunity to be interesting due to being powerless, but then he gets a power, so what actually makes him different? That he can't control it very well? Because that's standard anime fair for making you main character overpowered enough that they can beat the villains but not so powerful that they'll steamroll the smaller goons.

I honestly think that MHA would be less boring if it wasn't for One Punch Man deconstructing the whole idea of it first. But hey, the show has a lot of fans and it's not really bad in any sense so it's not like I can really hate it much.

Ohoho, my post has a lot of meaning to it~
i gotta say that I really felt the weight of this episode. I don't know if it's the facial animations combined with some good voice acting, but I felt sick to my stomach at the situation in this episode, especially towards the end.

LOL I JUST GOT IT.

phaze

Re: Zero 07

Holy shit.

I didn't expect this show to give my suffering fix. And this ep in particular delivered that in spades. I'm not worthy but I humbly accept.

There was some dumb stuff in there but in general, I'd say they knocked the heightened drama off the park .

And there might even be some in-universe explanation of the time-shenanigans ? Better then Erased confirmed.

Damning with faint praise, yeah.

Re:ZERO - 07

Man, these cliff hangers suck.

Oh man, not again. I like the show and all but I am tired of them doing it on every episode. I get that you want us to watch next week, but come on now.

lol

It's not a cliff hanger if he doesn't actually hold on to the cliff !

SalvaPot

Yes. This is true. And it's incredibly boring. Like, he doesn't need some kind of tragic backstory but a little more than "he's mean because he's mean" might have helped him not come across as utterly pointless. It's a problem shared by pretty much all the characters, at least from what I read. None of them actually have any kind of interesting motive or backstory or character in any way, it feels more like they're there to fill out a Shonen cast. Deku had the opportunity to be interesting due to being powerless, but then he gets a power, so what actually makes him different? That he can't control it very well? Because that's standard anime fair for making you main character overpowered enough that they can beat the villains but not so powerful that they'll steamroll the smaller goons.

I honestly think that MHA would be less boring if it wasn't for One Punch Man deconstructing the whole idea of it first. But hey, the show has a lot of fans and it's not really bad in any sense so it's not like I can really hate it much.

Hmm that is a fair point to make, in my case I found it refreshing since I am so tired of characters having a dramatic background to justify their actions and in MHA most of the cast are regular kids with amazing powers that want to do an amazing job (Since in the MHA world, similar to in OPM, been a hero is more about the job and the popularity). This is something that becomes a main theme when the villains arrive.

There is dramatic backstories, but not for Katsuki.
Todoroki, the Ice/Fire guy, has one. And so do the main villains. The origin of Deku's power so does too.
, but mostly the story is optimistic.

If you want character development, it does happen, almost every character has a time to shine and reveal their motivations, there is rotation going when it comes to the story arcs. But yes, I agree that most are kids who are optimistically thrown into a world that is not all sunshine and rainbows as they expected, the hero path can be harsh.

Ascheroth

Re:Zero #7

Holy shit. My hands are still trembling right now because of how amazing this was. In terms of emotional impact this episode had on me, I don't think there comes anything close this season from what I've watched.

And shit this show is absolutely stellar at conveying character emotions. Subarus breakdown, his fear, his desperation, the hopelesness and the sheer terror some situations
the curse
instill in him is practically tangible and this goes for the other characters as well.

Re:ZERO - 07

Man, these cliff hangers suck.
haha

Mandelbo

Sure has been a while since I've posted in one of these threads... Haven't got the the time to write anything massive up but still:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure parts 1, 2, 3 and what's been aired of 4

What a magnificent, absurd spectacle. The entire thing is supremely dumb, less so part 1 but everything after that is just ridiculous. The sheer variety of things that happen is incredible, and somehow everything that happens makes sense because it's Jojo. When the second-to-last enemy the protagonists fight in part 3 is called Vanilla Ice, you know you've got yourself a great show. I regret holding off on this as long as I did. Really liking the art style change in part 4 actually, especially since not every male character has exactly the same physique as each other and those stupid shoulder pads are gone.

Now and Then, Here and There 1-11
This is just the most depressing thing ever. Hamdo's insanity is sometimes a liiitle too hammy for me, but I'm really enjoying watching these idealistic, naive children having their worldview torn apart
don't judge me
Sara's my favourite character because her arc is just so heart-wrending -
she's taken prisoner for basically no reason, beaten and generally treated like dirt, was only kept around so she could be forced to have sex with the soldiers in the hopes she'll have a child, is forced to murder someone in order to escape, almost starves to death in the desert, then finds out she really is pregnant with some soldier's baby. Shu won't even let her die!
And there're still two episodes of despair to go...

Exalted

Re:Zero episode 7

Wow, what an episode. Really different tone than the last few episodes. Some scenes were really emotional, and it looks like Subaru is slowly being influenced by all that has happened.
Best thing i watched this week.

JulianImp

I tried watching Ninja Slayer, but it was way too random and weird for me to enjoy. Do people say it saved anime sarcastically, or is it really regarded as a good show outside of the memetic stuff?

I tried watching Ninja Slayer, but it was way too random and weird for me to enjoy. Do people say it saved anime sarcastically, or is it really regarded as a good show outside of the memetic stuff?

It was funny for like 4 episodes, then you realize its 24 episodes. The last episode is amazing though

Just T

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless: 6

Pretty fun episode all around.

Flying Witch: 6

This was a nice episode too but gotta go with Chito in that second half.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
ReZero is by far the best anime this season. Holy shit, I really like it. This episode in particular was super emotional. Subaru's feelings are portrayed really well throughout the entire episode. Can't wait til next week.

Also it gets bonus points by cutting either OP or ED every week for more content.

Ascheroth

ReZero is by far the best anime this season. Holy shit, I really like it. This episode in particular was super emotional. Subaru's feelings are portrayed really well throughout the entire episode. Can't wait til next week.

Also it gets bonus points by cutting either OP or ED every week for more content.

They are really milking every second of airtime they have and I love it. Out of 7 episodes, there only has been 1 where they showed both the OP and ED.

And yeah, I'll put it right besides JoJo and Kiznaiver as my trinity of amazing for this season.

Well, we were promised an amazingly intense episode last week, and by god did they deliver. The detail that goes into the faces is outstanding and gut wrenching. The twist in this reset is heartbreaking despite what happens to subaru. Also, I'm still hoping the count isn't evil in spite of the red herring.

pbayne

Sure has been a while since I've posted in one of these threads... Haven't got the the time to write anything massive up but still:

Now and Then, Here and There 1-11
This is just the most depressing thing ever. Hamdo's insanity is sometimes a liiitle too hammy for me, but I'm really enjoying watching these idealistic, naive children having their worldview torn apart
don't judge me
Sara's my favourite character because her arc is just so heart-wrending -
she's taken prisoner for basically no reason, beaten and generally treated like dirt, was only kept around so she could be forced to have sex with the soldiers in the hopes she'll have a child, is forced to murder someone in order to escape, almost starves to death in the desert, then finds out she really is pregnant with some soldier's baby. Shu won't even let her die!
And there're still two episodes of despair to go...

Yep im not finished it yet but it is a very captivating watch despite how miserable it is. And maybe im a very perverse person but i really enjoy Hamdo's nature even though hate him at the same time. He's like Dio x 10.

Flying Witch 6

"Hey Kei wanna watch us play with devil summoning pentagrams?" "Naw mate, im watching this Stallone movie instead".

Hey i was promised blond witch this week. What happened? And when is Chiatsu mahou shoujo spin-off?

DJ Tonkatsu 6

Cooler than Tony the Tiger.

Uncharted 4: No Desu Drake senpai

10/10 would cry again

I'm still on chapter
or so. I am not worthy or ready for what's to come.

Tanaka 04

Very nice episode, the poor girl had been hiding who she really was all that time, Tanaka was able to see through her disguise. Although the reason why he was able to do that wasn't what I was expecting, it really made me laugh out loud. Guess in the end Tanaka is a teenage boy really, laziness and all.

Sölf

At least I really enjoyed it. I like the manga version even more, because for one, the artstyle is serious the whole time and it has more story (the anime sometimes jumps and skips some things that are in the manga). It was basically just trash, but god was it good trash. The OST was also really good, with the changing ending theme every week. I know most in here don't like it, but heck, I REALLY loved it. xD

Re:Zero 7

Ridiculously amazing episode. Felt like it lasted an hour with all that content. Definitely recommend anyone who hasn't yet to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom