• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
They are really milking every second of airtime they have and I love it. Out of 7 episodes, there only has been 1 where they showed both the OP and ED.

And yeah, I'll put it right besides JoJo and Kiznaiver as my trinity of amazing for this season.
I've heard buzz about Kiznaiver, but does it really stand up to stuff like this and Jojo? I might have to check it out.

Also didn't even notice there was no OP. Amazing.

Well, we were promised an amazingly intense episode last week, and by god did they deliver. The detail that goes into the faces is outstanding and gut wrenching. The twist in this reset is heartbreaking despite what happens to subaru. Also, I'm still hoping the count isn't evil in spite of the red herring.

I feel like the count is probably a not bad guy? He seemed reasonably pissed at Subaru in that bedroom scene. Let's say he is a bad guy though, I think it would be long term. I don't think he's involved with the curse, reboots, or the weakening death(I blame the puppy).

Qurupeke

Re: Zero looks like typical generic fantasy shit and it seemed off the radar for the majority here on S1. But people praise S2 a lot. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Joe Molotov

Sketchbook ~full color's~ 01-13 END

6uYESGV.png

this is how Narag is able to post on this board, true story

Super comfy, a bit Aria-esque. Would recommend.

Gvitor

Rezero 7

SO GUD
Good god, this was so good.

(999 (DS Game) spoilers)
I always liked the Axe ending in 999 because while it isn't technically canon, it serves as character development for Clover. She may not be an insane psychopath in the true ending + VLR, but the Axe ending shows us this is part of her personality: that should she think her brother is dead for good, whe would snap.

I felt the same way in this episode. Last week I wasn't sure was to expect about Ram being the villain, but with this episode it's basically the Clover scenario. She snapped because Rem died (for reasons yet unknown), but should that never happen, she would be just as "normal" as Clover is.

Boku no Hero Academia

Deku keeps on crying, but Kachan's face after he explained why he wasn't using his quirk was priceless.

My apologies for posting this question here. I posted in K-Pop as well as I assume there's some overlap and I figure there's prob a better thread for it but I'll try anyway. My 60 something year old, whitebread parents have somehow become hooked on Korean tv and they were halfway through their favorite series so far called Potato Star but Hulu just dropped it. Any ideas where they could go now to watch it (for free)? They have a Roku.

Hero Academia 7

Fight was more drawn out than it should have been, but the direction and soundtrack during the climax was amazing.

Also Bakugou is a shit that should be expelled. I would hope he would be if he actually did kill Deku.

Ah, nevermind. I think people were talking about the source material or something and got me confused. Still, people ignored it at the pre-season hype, as I certainly don't remember a lot of posts about it.
It's not the type of show that would get preseason hype. It doesn't have a well known director and isn't an adaptation of something translated into English.

Ascheroth

I've heard buzz about Kiznaiver, but does it really stand up to stuff like this and Jojo? I might have to check it out.

Also didn't even notice there was no OP. Amazing.

Kiznaiver is all about the characters, so it stands and falls with how much you can like and enjoy them. For me personally, they just clicked from the very start and it has been great so far.
The direction is strong, the soundtrack and artstyle great, there is a very delicate balance between comedy and drama and the character interactions are just a pleasure to watch.
Definitely give it a try.

KonradLaw

Jeez... Re Zero felt gave me such strong Higurashi vibes this ep, in a good way. Loved it. Great second arc, especially considering how wildly different it feels from the first one.

I really like Hero Academia, but Re Zero is easily my fav this season.

Ah, nevermind. I think people were talking about the source material or something and got me confused. Still, people ignored it at the pre-season hype, as I certainly don't remember a lot of posts about it.

I can see that being the case. It starts out seeming like a generic mmorpg anime, and it would be hard to capture the appeal of the anime in a preview video.

Tanaka 05

Was not expecting for them to carry on with that thread. Guess there is just a tiny healthy bit of romance here. Now whether it will go anywhere, I'm not sure.

Also, that last bit at the end lol. Miyano is not as clueless as she seems to be aha. Her plan worked wonderfully.

Jarmel

Banned
For ReZero I much preferred the first arc, this one is just so painfully drawn out. Good lord this might be 5 or 6 episodes. Feels like I'm watching a MMORPG version of Endless Eight.

For ReZero I much preferred the first arc, this one is just so painfully drawn out. Good lord this might be 5 or 6 episodes. Feels like I'm watching a MMORPG version of Endless Eight.

part of the reason I caught up with manga and haven't watched these episodes.

this last episode ended where the manga currently was if I recall correctly so next week I can start watching again

Sölf

Luluco 07
The best. Imaishi, I love you.

Mayoiga 07
I still like this show, even though all characters are stupid as heck. And god, that ending. xD

Kabaneri 05
Mumei, this was such a stupid move, seriously. The episode itself was still good.

Sakamoto 05
It's Sakamoto. It had the most intense sumo battle thingy ever.

Haifuri 06
The fuck was that ending? Professor please.

Ascheroth

It isn't even the best shonen show right now, that goes to Ushio and Tora currently, HAkumen No Mono is some net level shit.

You know, the more I think about it... the more I agree. There really isn't much or anything that I can I think of that even comes close to Hakumen no Mono.
But then again, we are talking shounen endgame vs shounen beginning. (Although MHA has the disadvantage of not really being able to get past its beginning stage with this season alone)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You know, the more I think about it... the more I agree. There really isn't much or anything that I can I think of that even comes close to Hakumen no Mono.
But then again, we are talking shounen endgame vs shounen beginning. (Although MHA has the disadvantage of not really being able to get past its beginning stage with this season alone)

I would agree to this but there isn't anything that can be done with timing.

Cornbread78

Cast Away to Blue Orchid Island ep.2
This is funny stuff. It's rare to find a MAL rec that works perfectly, but in this case, this was a good substitute for Mermaid Bride. The comedy is good and the characters are all fun so far. I guess we are now going to get a non-stop string of funny and awkward dates, lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ushio and Tora does take a hit for skipping like 80 chapters, making some character development not work as well.

Yea, that is on the downside but it is rare to have the series that doesn't suffer from this. My Hero Academia for example needed to be two cours and is suffering for it.

I'm looking for forums as well. I just want to get big into this really quickly.

well this community is good for asking questions on what you want to watch and discussing anime.

MyAnimeList is a good source for finding anime as it's a database listing all of them, and even very VERY general recommendations after you finish one show and want to watch something else.

Crunchyroll is the best platform to legally watch a lot of anime, both currently airing and older. You can watch a lot of shows without a subscription, but only in SD, HD is for subscriptions only and without a subscription you can't use the apps.

After them then it's funimation as they also fight for currently airing shows and have a backlog. Also subscrirption based.

Lastly it's Daisuki which doesn't require a subscription to watch shit.

And then we have Netflix and Amazon which both have a decent amount of random anime to watch, some quality. They rarely get shows to simulcast as well.

T-Rex.

Banned
RE:Zero ep 7

Best show of the season so far imo. Subaru is a really likeable character so it is genuinely gut wrenching seeing him break down like he did at the start of the episode. Can't wait for next week's episode.

JulianImp

Big Order #5
Ridiculous over-the-top toucy-feely bath scenes, implicit incest, yandere girl getting brainwashed out of the MC's domination ability and into his fathers'... this show has it all, and it's just so bad. Sadly, it happens to be the bad kind of bad, so it isn't enjoyable even for the trainwreck factor.

Ace Attorney #6
More of the same.

Kiznaiver #6
This show continues to deliver on the character development front, which makes me glad I didn't step away from this after that weird first episode. This is almost like getting more Kokoro Connect with how the plot uses crazy stuff to show a group of people bonding and opening up to each other, and that's a really nice thing to have around.

Re:Zero #7
Best show of the season continues being awesome. Many users in here complained that Subaru's relationships with the cast resetting after each death was getting boring, but it was obvious all that was taking a toll on him as well. This episode made it obvious that the so-called witch of jealousy has something to do with Subaru, but the show will probably take its time to explore just what in the world that means while the plot focuses on subplots that slowly flesh the characters and world out for us.

Mailbox

Re:Zero 7

I thought they would end the arc this episode, but I'm kinda glad they didn't this time, or rather that they went a different direction.

Like how Subaru
actually survives
this route, but isn't satisfied with the result regardless is an interesting juxtaposition to the "gotta survive this" feel of the first arc. I also really appreciate how this episode really really goes into just how much shit Subaru goes through (seriously, if you thought episode 5's end was harsh... Yeah...) and how he's pretty much alone even when he's surrounded by people he likes. His isolation is probably the most interesting part of this episode.

I honestly haven't felt this entertained while watching a show and specific episodes since steins;gate, though I wouldn't dare say it's at that pedigree though. I guess what I'm saying is that I like how this show is going, it's very entertaining with this episode probably being the strongest in the arc in getting is to empathize with Subaru.

Loving it, waiting for next week!

Food Wars! 15-24

Still suitably enjoyable. Will definitely watch the second season this summer!

Thought I would post my personal ranking of currently running shows I'm watching:

Jojo 4 - Nothing can top this
My Hero Academia - Always leaves me wanting the nest episode immediately.
Re:Zero: Surprise of the season
Luluco - such a fun dose of insanity
Concrete Revolutio - I liked the first season better, when I thought the future splitting up of the team had some weight or purpose behind it. Now it seems very episodic and they're always together anyways. Still really good.
Kabaneri - Enjoyable schlock
Kiznaiver - I don't get everyone's love of this. I hate the main character. Great animation, but the show just hasn't connected with me.
Mayoiga - Terrible but still enjoyable

Cornbread78

Endride ep.7
God bless Alicia for getting those two to STFU and go shopping. Not a bad adventure, but why did they have to add that damn
loli assasin
to the crew.. Also, why again is Pascal going back to the
castle
?

Russ T

Banned
I'm looking for forums as well. I just want to get big into this really quickly.

Haha, fair enough. I may have misinterpreted your questions. :p

Ol' Woofington pretty much spelled it all out above! If you find even one thing you like, or have an idea of what kind of fiction you're generally into outside of anime, this place in particular is a great place to get recommendations!

Hamst3r

Make a list over here: http://myanimelist.net/
MAL also has news: http://myanimelist.net/news
ANN too: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/

See where shows are streamable here: http://because.moe/?q=current

For the most part, MAL is pretty all-encompassing. They have forums*, top lists, and editorials with recommendations. And there are MAL desktop apps (Taiga) and phone apps (MyAniList).

Also, these two subreddits are alright: Anime and Animesuggest.

*Not that I'd suggest you actually use the MAL forums though when you have here and those two reddits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom