• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Asterisk ep.19
Sylvie's power was pretty damn cool stuff. I thought she was someone completely different last week, so it was a happy surprise to not have it be one of those other douches. Next week it's finally time for the bullshit handicapped battle with the cheating rival s hool with special political assistance sure to bring plenty of bullshit asspull advantages and moves to pin Ayoto into a corner. Bring on the shitty kidnapping subplot.

pbayne

Now and Then, Here and There 11

Wow..what happened with Sara...just wow. When did
a pro-life vs abortion angle come into my anime? And her suicide attempt...just holy shit stuff.
. The intensity of that scene between her and Shu you could see her clawing, biting, doing anything to get away from him. With the trauma of everything she's went through, you can understand why she'd find the thought of a man touching her absolutely revolting.

New respect for Shu as well. The way he
protected Sara and her unborn child
, lot of respect for that. That entire scene was just so gripping.

These last two episodes are gonna be apocalyptic aren't they?

I'm glad to hear it! It's always good to expose ourselves to new genres that we may not usually watch. Often you can find something great that you may have overlooked! For example, I used to hate shounen anime, since my experiences with it had been pretty bad. Jojo's (2012) and Hunter x Hunter (2011) broke a lot of my preconceived notions about the genre. I'm pretty much open to watching any sort of genre these days, as long as the show itself catches my interest.

That's how I am pretty much these days too. I like a wide range of shows. I like super popular shows and niche ones. I just like a good story and usually I really dig stories with some sort of message or lesson it is trying to convey through the show.

Kino's Journey 13 END

The Beautiful World

------------------------
A good show but one that like Haibane Renmei, I feel like I should like it more then I actually do. but there's something about its way of storytelling, "detached" might be the right word, that makes me unable to fully "get" it. Nonetheless it was time well spent, especially as some of my early annoyances pretty much petered out as the show continued on.

Ryutaro Nakamura ranking:

Lain >>> Kino's Journey > Ghost Hound.

Glad you enjoyed it. When I watched it, I watched an episode every now and then instead of binge-watching. The show I feel is much more easy to digest that way. Every episode is basically its own thing, and I paced through it myself. I can see how one can get that "detached" feeling if they binge-watch it, as the episodes don't connect with each other.

Mawaru Penguindrum - 3

Cih561yVEAARCFG.jpg:large

Yep. She's a yandere.

This is going to be one of those shows, isn't it?

Oh man, it was so brilliant. Easily my favorite episode of any anime this season thus far.
The beginning with his little speech broke my heart.
I know some people are thinking it's going slowly, but I am really in love with this arc and show and can't wait for the next episode.

Now and Then, Here and There 11

Wow..what happened with Sara...just wow. When did
a pro-life vs abortion angle come into my anime? And her suicide attempt...just holy shit stuff.
. The intensity of that scene between her and Shu you could see her clawing, biting, doing anything to get away from him. With the trauma of everything she's went through, you can understand why she'd find the thought of a man touching her absolutely revolting.

New respect for Shu as well. The way he
protected Sara and her unborn child
, lot of respect for that. That entire scene was just so gripping.

These last two episodes are gonna be apocalyptic aren't they?

Sara became what I'd consider a "strong female character", you know, an actual one. She goes through some really tough shit and doesn't get away unscathed, nor does that turn her into someone that then goes around kicking ass. No, she even loses her will to live on several occasions and you can't blame her a bit. Yet, in spite of that, she still can muster up some strength to keep going most of the time.

She just feel like a well written, believable human that is properly affected by the traumatizing events she goes through. And then I often think that it might be contradictory to consider her a 'strong female character' considering her attempted suicide, however, I don't think that's wrong if you have a detailed look at her. More so, it makes me realize that i don't much care for the notion of "strong male/female/trans character". It's much rather that I want well written characters.

Cornbread78

ReZero ep.7
Definitely my AOTS so far. The presentation of the story (and the story itself) is awesome stuff and really interesting. Subaru's speaches as well as his monologs were impassioned as he tries to learn how to deal with what is bring thrown at him. Excellent stuff all the way around here.

Danball Senki W - 30

It's honestly pretty heartbreaking seeing Ban's father turning out to be Detector. While nobody died from his LBX attacks, there's now a huge amount of antagonism geared toward LBXs in general because of them.

It's gonna be interesting to see how LBX garners its goodwill back after all the stuff that's happened.

zulux21

Is anyone worried that they're gonna do a "Read the Light novel" ending for Re:Zero?
it's quite possible it will end that way, but at the same time it's going to be a 25 episode series and should get through a good chunk of the books.
either way it seems that the light novel will start coming out in english in a few months.

Is anyone worried that they're gonna do a "Read the Light novel" ending for Re:Zero?

The whole thing is 26 episodes long, and they went to great lengths to show us as much as possible. Double length first episode, and as mentioned, cutting off the OP or ED to fit more story. I sure as heck hope they don't do that to us.

What do you mean by that? They certainly aren't going to adapt the entire story when the series is still being written.

I mean since the light novel is still being written so, I'm wondering if they're going to just leave it on a cliff hanger like this series LOVES to do thus far or are they going to just make an anime exclusive ending.

pbayne

NVeZPzj.png

Quick synopsis: Boy gets transported to a fantasy world. He's proven to be in no way special or no girl magically falls in love with him. Instead the world and its people continually pile misery upon misery on-top of him.

Not a show for the faint of heart. At all. I like a show that isn't afraid to tackle sensitive issues and to also address them in a mature fashion and this show had that in spades. Id focus more on the characters as they do drive the narrative and found a lot of them really interesting and the relations between them.

-First, get him out of the way, King Hamdo. Holy God this guy, put his face in the dictionary beside insane and evil. He does border on cartoonishly evil a lot of the time but he has that pantomime villain quality about him that you can't not feel compelled to watch him despite how despicable he is. The direction for his scenes are always on point, they just do an amazing job of presenting this guy as barely human and his constant paranoia jumping at imaginary threats.

-The MC Shu, i liked him and the function he served. He is basically the optimistic "nice" guy that serves as a contrast to the horrible shit that happens around him. Kind of the role Puck plays in the Berserk manga. Like without him the show would be far too oppressive and dark.

-Sara, in many ways i consider her the real MC. She is the character with the most resonant arc in the story and the one that is most affected by the world, both mentally and physically. Late spoilers but the issues her arc present over
abortion and suicide
, were for me the strongest aspects in the show despite how little time was actually devoted to them. And her ultimate resolution to stay behind and take the role of
motherhood
, its hard to describe how i feel about just how complex i found her character arc to be. Certainly a character that breaks the usual definitions of "i like or dislike this character" or "I agree/don't agree with her decisions". If anything her character and the themes it presents, sort of eclipsed the anti-war sentiments in other parts of the show for me.

-The parallels and relations between character was laced with ambiguity, so characters you initially look at as being binary opposites often prove not to be the case. Case in point Sara and the
presumed father of her child
, despite how horrible it came about, there are signs of genuine emotion between them. Or the parallels between Hamdo, Emalda and Tabool(aka Hamdo Jr) showing how power can corrupt a person regardless of their position. Or the complex relationship between Tabool and Nabuca or Albelia and Hamdo, were you're never quite sure where everyone stands.

-A last thing id note is despite how horrific the events that happen are its never graphic. The direction is very restrained and a lot more is implied than is shown, which i appreciated. Technically its all there, well put together show and the thing i appreciated most was its ability to let certain scenes linger and sink in, to really emphasize the impact of what had happened.

-I guess ill give a critique so its not too gushing. The pacing is a bit off. Did we really need 6 episodes of the MC constantly getting abused and tortured? I get why they did it and it does set the right oppressive tone but it can create an unpleasant watching experience for some.

So if you have the stomach for it, check this show out. Very hard hitting, pulls no punches dealing with mature topics and all wrapped up in a very concise package.

Sara became what I'd consider a "strong female character", you know, an actual one. She goes through some really tough shit and doesn't get away unscathed, nor does that turn her into someone that then goes around kicking ass. No, she even loses her will to live on several occasions and you can't blame her a bit. Yet, in spite of that, she still can muster up some strength to keep going most of the time.

She just feel like a well written, believable human that is properly affected by the traumatizing events she goes through. And then I often think that it might be contradictory to consider her a 'strong female character' considering her attempted suicide, however, I don't think that's wrong if you have a detailed look at her. More so, it makes me realize that i don't much care for the notion of "strong male/female/trans character". It's much rather that I want well written characters.

It is a very tricky subject to write about and i commend the show for its portrayal. Id agree with the "strong/weak" character sentiment, id rather have relatable or interesting characters like Sara. I said above, she was the actual MC to me in that her story just resonated so much more than anything else.

zulux21

I mean since the light novel is still being written so, I'm wondering if they're going to just leave it on a cliff hanger like this series LOVES to do thus far or are they going to just make an anime exclusive ending.

I imagine you will get something like no game no life.

you will resolve the arc that is going on and reach a decent stopping point with a giant ass tease for what is to come.

or heck like how the first arc or Re:zero ended :p

The ending will probably be mostly the same as whatever volume they get up to adapting.

pariah164

RE: Zero 01 A & B

At the start of it all, I was like:

Oh, fabulous, another SAO clone, just what I wanted. Do we really need another one? Why did my S.O. recommend this to me?

By the middle of it all, I was like:

All right, this is intriguing. The art and the music are good, and the lead is kind of a mix of canon Kirito and SAO abridged's Kirito. Let's see what it can do.

By mid episode 1B, I was like:

The fuck? What?! Did they just do that? ... What?

And by the end of it all, I was like:

Okay, RE: Zero. You have my attention. Into the watchlist you go. This is gonna be good.

I imagine you will get something like no game no life.

you will resolve the arc that is going on and reach a decent stopping point with a giant ass tease for what is to come.

or heck like how the first arc or Re:zero ended :p

The only issue is that this doesn't show post 1st arc really doesn't like to leave quietly and I got freaking spoiled, so I'm a bit upset, but the 3rd arc is a horrible place to end, the 4th arc is maybe where they will end optimally. I'm still really annoyed by No Game No Life but that's more a Madhouse thing.

JulianImp

RE: Zero 01 A & B

At the start of it all, I was like: Oh, fabulous, another SAO clone, just what I wanted. Do we really need another one? Why did my S.O. recommend this to me?

By the middle of it all, I was like: All right, this is intriguing. The art and the music are good, and the lead is kind of a mix of canon Kirito and SAO abridged's Kirito. Let's see what it can do.

By mid episode 1B, I was like: The fuck? What?! Did they just do that? ... What?

And by the end of it all, I was like: Okay, RE: Zero. You have my attention. Into the watchlist you go. This is gonna be good.

My reaction for Ep1A was exactly the same as yours. I felt like I was merely watching it out of obligation at first, but then the twist came in and I felt like there could be something interesting in store for me if I kept watching. The isekai setting has been run into the ground by now, but the characters, their interactions, the premise of the MC looping through events while slowly coming to understand what the hell was going on and the overarching plot of learning whatever's actually going on with the world Subaru got transported to made it a really good show coupled with the good visuals, animations and music.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm kind of sad now that I know that ReZero's LN is still in progress. Gah. No closure after 25 episodes seems sad based on how awesome the anime is so far.

Cornbread78

Guilty Crown ep.4-6
52514.jpg

Ok, Shu is still a weenie, but the world and characters are interesting at least. The battles are also pretty good, but all the "void" nonsense is still all crazy. How did Inori's void change shape from
the big sword to that giant cannon gun that blew away the satellite/ space weapon
? Do people voids evolve, or just Inori's? Poor Shu thought he had a chance with her, b
ut she been bangin' Gai,
lol... kid got rekt, lol.

Do we know if this new Berserk anime is adapting the first 10 chapters of the manga (the 900+ page intro arc) or is going to dive into the conviction arc after the flash back in the golden age?

Since it's halfwayish thorugh the season, time to rate what I'm watching.
(Note: 4 = Below Average, 5= Average, 6= Above Average and yada yada)
My Hero Academy (8): Damn Bones, they are doing an amazing job adapting the manga. Biggest negative so far, Grape Boys voice isn't what I expected.
Bungou Stray Dogs (5): Interesting concept, though episodes have been very hit or miss. Flying Witch (6): Good adaption, hopefully they cover the moon rabbit chapters.
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season (3): Slowly crawling its way to shit territory....fuck Flora's voice.
Phoenix Wright Something Something (4):.....Bland enough that I can't really say much about it.
JoJo Part 4 (9): DP is pulling out all the stops, fucking bravo.
Kiznaiver (6/7): Huh...I expected this to be quite bad but Trigger is pulling this off nicely. Though I still fear that it will nosedive in the last few episodes.
Kuma Miko (5): Decent adaption, though I forgot about all the creepiness that the manga showed at times.
Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? (5): Something is super offputting about the faces in this anime, other then that its okay and somewhat entertaining when Yandereness appears.
Pan de Peace! (4): Bread....mkay, at least its short and cute.
Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (7): Feared for the worse and maybe got a decent/good time loop anime. Time will tell if it holds up.
Sakamoto desu ga? (5): Disappointing, just disappointing.
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge (6): Another positive surprise of the season, way too relaxing to watch.
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou (6): I can dig it.
Uchuu Patrol Luluco (7): Now this how your supposed to do Trigger madness, it works best in short 5-8 minute chunks.
Usakame (3): This ain't Teekyuu...why is it soooo slow!?
Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season (5): Feels even more rushed than the previous season, really sad to see the source material being made like this.

Dropped
Bakuon!! (3): Something just didn't click with this for me.
Bishoujo Yuugi Unit Crane Game Girls (1): Fuck this piece of crap.
Onigiri (2): Also shit, but somewhere there is something redeeming about the show.
Ragnastrike Angels (1): I want to give it a 0....please.
Wagamama High Spec (2):......at least its not Crane Game or Ragnastrike Angels.

Furyous

Macross Delta 7

This show is racist...
in favor of cats

First, there's a cat restaurant.
Second, there are literal fish that look like cats taking the term "catfish to uncharted alien levels of fuckery".
Third, in this episode they're infiltrating a place disguised as cats.
Fourth, I could've sworn I saw some cat people in one episode.

I'm about sick, tired, and sick again of all these cats. WHERE ARE THE DOGS? At least gives us a wolf or dog or puppy or something. The show runners clearly bias towards cats and it's interfering with my enjoyment of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom