• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Since it's halfwayish thorugh the season, time to rate what I'm watching.
(Note: 4 = Below Average, 5= Average, 6= Above Average and yada yada)
My Hero Academy (8): Damn Bones, they are doing an amazing job adapting the manga. Biggest negative so far, Grape Boys voice isn't what I expected.
Bungou Stray Dogs (5): Interesting concept, though episodes have been very hit or miss. Flying Witch (6): Good adaption, hopefully they cover the moon rabbit chapters.
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season (3): Slowly crawling its way to shit territory....fuck Flora's voice.
Phoenix Wright Something Something (4):.....Bland enough that I can't really say much about it.
JoJo Part 4 (9): DP is pulling out all the stops, fucking bravo.
Kiznaiver (6/7): Huh...I expected this to be quite bad but Trigger is pulling this off nicely. Though I still fear that it will nosedive in the last few episodes.
Kuma Miko (5): Decent adaption, though I forgot about all the creepiness that the manga showed at times.
Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? (5): Something is super offputting about the faces in this anime, other then that its okay and somewhat entertaining when Yandereness appears.
Pan de Peace! (4): Bread....mkay, at least its short and cute.
Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (7): Feared for the worse and maybe got a decent/good time loop anime. Time will tell if it holds up.
Sakamoto desu ga? (5): Disappointing, just disappointing.
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge (6): Another positive surprise of the season, way too relaxing to watch.
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou (6): I can dig it.
Uchuu Patrol Luluco (7): Now this how your supposed to do Trigger madness, it works best in short 5-8 minute chunks.
Usakame (3): This ain't Teekyuu...why is it soooo slow!?
Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season (5): Feels even more rushed than the previous season, really sad to see the source material being made like this.

Dropped
Bakuon!! (3): Something just didn't click with this for me.
Bishoujo Yuugi Unit Crane Game Girls (1): Fuck this piece of crap.
Onigiri (2): Also shit, but somewhere there is something redeeming about the show.
Ragnastrike Angels (1): I want to give it a 0....please.
Wagamama High Spec (2):......at least its not Crane Game or Ragnastrike Angels.
What was it about that crane game show that made everyone who watched it (seemingly) loathe it?

Just bad?

zulux21

I'm kind of sad now that I know that ReZero's LN is still in progress. Gah. No closure after 25 episodes seems sad based on how awesome the anime is so far.

from what I have heard I think one of the books is a decent end point, though it might be book 8 and at the current pace it seems unlikely to get through that.

from what I have heard I think one of the books is a decent end point, though it might be book 8 and at the current pace it seems unlikely to get through that.

This is true suffering. Though, it ain't as bad as Log Horizon which got two full seasons and didn't tell us jack squat lmao

MHA Episode 7
Boku_no_Hero_07_47.jpg

He needs to suffer more.

Jintor

It's interesting the way the anime for Boku no Hero portrays things made me pick up some stuff that was intended in the manga but I didn't immediately get.
The main points being that Bakugou didn't aim for Deku but just to his left to try and not get the fight stopped (I thought he had just intended Deku dodge it in the manga), and that he hadn't seen Deku use his quirk before so he didn't realise it completely annihilated his body every time he did it.

My Neighbor Totoro

Finally watched this movie. Felt a bit underwhelming. Maybe because I'm older but it wasn't the strongest of Miyazaki I felt. The Totoro scenes we're great tho but not enough. Still enjoyed Porcco Rosso a lot more from last week.

Daft Punk

Banned
Now that it's summer break for me, time to catch up on anime. Sakamoto is amazing, but I have Kiznaiver and Bungo Stray Dogs queued up on my Crunchyroll. What series should I start first or are there any other gems I'm missing? :)

Mailbox

Now that it's summer break for me, time to catch up on anime. Sakamoto is amazing, but I have Kiznaiver and Bungo Stray Dogs queued up on my Crunchyroll. What series should I start first or are there any other gems I'm missing? :)

Watch Re:Zero (its currently airing) but don't trust your impression after episode 1A. Finish episode 1B before making any sort of impression.

Konosuba is some good fun.

I'd need to know what you've watched over the last 2 or 3 seasons (so in fall and winter) before I can recommend anything else.

Mailbox

Hey Mailbox, just like we talked about yesterday, I did some work on the avy:

c6crgXw.png
sCUekXN.png

And again I don't know how I feel about them. You guys don't even know how many I've made like these and never posted or changed them. I find this sort of stuff fun to do lol. Still nothing beats the GOAT:

eeI7pyk.png

Oh, just saw this while looking back through the thread. Those look great!
But you've got me interested now, what other characters did you make old-timey?

Oh, just saw this while looking back through the thread. Those look great!
But you've got me interested now, what other characters did you make old-timey?

Oh man... So I started on GAF with a Persona 3 MC in-game portrait model. I had all seasons with the same stance, so in the summer he'd be wearing a T-Shirt, in September his school uniform, in the Winter a warm coat, you get the idea.

From there, I've made so many. Xenoblade, SMTIV, God Eater, prisoner Oreki (which I believe I used for a while before I made what I'm using now), The Division, etc.

Usually when I'm really into a game or show, I will most likely have made an avatar out if it and probably used it for a day or two before hopping back to whatever I'm most used to. Right now that is this Oreki, which I've probably been using for almost a year and just feels right.

Kizumonogatari will be on BD before theatrical release in Canada.

WHEN THOUGH. We are not getting any younger here!!

I searched for some interview from the director and at least found this small excerpt from an interview with ANN.

How do you go from directing something as depressing as Now and Then, Here and There to something as happy as Jubei-chan? Is there some kind of mindset you have to change?

My basic themes are usually comedy, crying and action. Now and Then, Here and There was a different type of idea that I had. I wanted to make an anime about war.

The shortened translation is “Ima Boku”, and the literal translation of that is “Me That's There Right Now”. It's like a totally different realm that I put it into. It was an anime where I really wanted to show how it would feel if you were put into a country of war when you do not know what it is like to be in a war. How life would be if you were put in that situation.

Are there any types of shows you prefer directing over others?

I prefer to do comedies, if I can.

Interesting that someone that focuses largely on comedy decides to put out some depressive, war-focused series and does such a good job at it.

I think I'm gonna check out some of his other shows. If he's as good or even better at comedy then I should give those a try at least.

pbayne

I searched for some interview from the director and at least found this small excerpt from an interview with ANN.

Interesting that someone that focuses largely on comedy decides to put out some depressive, war-focused series and does such a good job at it.

I think I'm gonna check out some of his other shows. If he's as good or even better at comedy then I should give those a try at least.

Lol he's directing DJ Tonkatsu as well. I love it when someone shows they can work a wide range of genres and not get too locked in to one particular mindset. And Bokura ga Ita has been on my watchlist for ages.

By pure coincidence im actually watching Fruits Basket atm which Daichi also directed.

Its obviously more comedy focused but it is able to hit the emotional scenes really well without descending into melodrama, which i've been really impressed by.

The comedy is very slap-sticky at times(and the first few episodes are a little weak imo) it finds its stride later on though. I enjoy how presents a love triangle but doesn't force it down your throat, its been very slowly built so far. So far the shows biggest strength is its ensemble cast who all have their own interesting backstories and relations to one another.

Lol he's directing DJ Tonkatsu as well. I love it when someone shows they can work a wide range of genres and not get too locked in to one particular mindset. And Bokura ga Ita has been on my watchlist for ages.

Oh damn, DJ Tonkatsu is pretty good, too. Seems like he does have quite the directorial range, huh.

Jintor

k-on!! e10 -rewatch-

death devil 2 stronk

it's nice to see sawako sensei get her day in the sun, and the nostalgia bombs they were dropping was great too

Kiznaiver is easily my AOTS. Trigger put a bullet in my heart with that one..

Best surprise of the season. Renewing my faith in Trigger after KLK.
What are the other contenders for AOTS?

Uncharted 4: No Desu Drake senpai

10/10 would cry again

I'm going to miss Drake ;____;

My Hero Academia Episode 7:

Ah, at last, things are happening, well, sort of since we got some of the more egregious shonen like interspersed backstory and executing a move and then explaining the shit out of it. Can't say I was invested in the proceedings all that much because Bakugo is very clearly just a few steps away from robbing banks and terrorizing the innocent. Still, the ending was actually creative, that occasional flash of brilliance that shines above this sea of mediocrity.

there's no need to be this savage

Cornbread78

Nagasarete Airantou ep.3
7Ir5TH7.jpg

(Get your mind out of the gutter!)

See what happens....
iQhVfkT.jpg

This show is pretty damn funny, but not quite as funny as Mermaid Bride. It definitely has a much bigger ecchi/"dirty comedy" side, but the characters are all insane with different personalities and the show is just fun to watch. This episode wasn;t too heavy with the harem madness, but I'm interested to see where the series is going with this crazy set-up.

Just watch out for those man easting giant mushrooms boy...

Best surprise of the season. Renewing my faith in Trigger after KLK.
What are the other contenders for AOTS?

My Hero Academia since the adaptation is so perfect and it's everything I wanted the anime to be and Tanaka-kun is listless which is my surprise hit for the season. A very charming and funny anime that has an exceptional cast of main and supporting characters.

Edit: of course people these are my personal AOTS

Aki-at

Mirai Nikki - 5

Why was 12th
killed this early?
Easily the best character in the show, of course that's not really saying much. Man his introduction had me cracking up.

Kyuur

I can't remember if I came in this thread to scream about how good Re:Zero and Kiznaiver are. They're so good, guys.

I was wondering if the Toriko anime was worth watching? For reference I only ever felt the manga was good around the moment Zebra showed up.

If you've read the manga? Ehh, not really. I can't think of any scenes that were particularly amazing animated, its censored, the art is much worse and it takes a nosedive into horrible anime original content at the end.

OMG, Studio Xebec is going to do "Keijo!!!"

It's happening!!

Great, can't wait for the anime thread to be filled with this filth on a weekly basis like the manga is.

Maybe I'll hatewatch it.

Ascheroth

I can't remember if I came in this thread to scream about how good Re:Zero and Kiznaiver are. They're so good, guys.

I've been thinking a bit, and I've come to the conclusion that the latest Re:Zero episode was probably the best episode out of anything I've watched this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom