• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 9

At least the new movie seems like it will have some decent fights this time. Marine continues to be a treasure. Riko sure is broken up about all this. Nice to see some tactics attempted. And nice to see Mirai and Riko riding on the broom again makes them faster again. Did no one see them transform? Lame. I guess the bulk of the rest of the series will be on Earth. Hopefully this will lead to Mirai getting some development, because so far the overwhelming bulk of that has been on the tsundere.

From the New World 8

The first half of the episode was hilarious in how suddenly and aggressively it pushed same-sex pairings. It felt like fanfiction writers had taken over the world during the timeskip. I get the thematic purpose of this - if I didn't, the callback to the bonobo line from episode 4 would have made sure I did - but a lot of the characters' behavior seemed like they stepped right off the pages of a doujin. And then there was poor Mamoru, seemingly the one loner in the whole school who hadn't paired up with anyone.

The second half got interesting with Shun distancing himself from everyone else and showing signs of mysterious problems developing. He always seemed like the most keen out of the lot, so it's not surprising that he's the one to notice that the group didn't manage to sweep their escapade two years ago under the rug. I fear things will not end well for him.
I wonder what that eye in the egg we saw a flash of was about. Certainly didn't look like a chick!

The character art was all over the place to the point where I couldn't tell what was supposed to be on-model or not. But there was some really lively animation which was interesting.

Of course firehawk would be watching the Infinite Stratos clone this season. Who could have seen that coming? :p

Someone needs to change his tag to "#1 IS Fan".

huh

any hopes from the team behind it on whether it can work as a 20 minutes show?

I didn't even know it had enough source material for 12-13 20 minute episodes

Shinji Takamatsu is an experienced comedy director, probably one of the best you could get to handle this material, but I'm still skeptical.

Is it fine to just skip straight to Sailor Moon Crystal S3? Dropped it and haven't really thought about it since the second episode of the show, but word of mouth seems good for this season, and the designs no longer look like hot garbage, so... I kinda wanna jump in.

If you're seen or read the original anime/manga, you should be fine.

An experienced comedy director is a good sign then. The biggest issues these shows face when in adaptation and put for a regular episode format is pacing. As long as they don't stretch out material to fit in 20 minutes, it's all good.

My hope now is that if it's 20 minutes per episode that they'll have multiple arcs/skits per episode ala Daily Life of High School Boys/Nichijou

Cornbread78

Love Hina ep.13-16
Yeah, this one isn't impressing me at this point. No plot, the harem hijinks aren't present, the comedy is redundant (occasionally good) and the conflict that will prevent any kind of ship of the main pair is just dull. I'll half-heartedly finish the last 8 episodes and expect nothing out of it, lol.

sonicmj1

Gunslinger Girl 2

It was a bit weird to have a substantial portion of this episode be a reedit of scenes from the first episode with additional material thrown in. But that, and where the rest of this episode went, made me strongly notice how atypical this show's handling of its subject matter is. Normally when a show features what are essentially government counter-terrorism operatives, a substantial amount of time would be devoted to the investigation, planning, and execution of the operations they're doing. But Gunslinger Girl isn't interested in any of that. We get only the barest sketch of the purpose of the operations and killings going on - they're looking for a key witness in... something, and there are opposing forces trying to keep him hidden. But just as the girls aren't concerned about the political or criminal details behind the operation, only about following orders, the show is more concerned about the effect this kind of lifestyle has on the people in it. This episode is all about showing Henrietta's relationship with her handler - the intense dehumanizing effect her conditioning has had on her, and how her handler despite that reaches for anything that will keep her and himself human. It's really fascinating.

Glad to see you're enjoying it. The show's focus on the psychological toll Section 2's whole mission and purpose take on its employees makes it fascinating. It was one of my favorite backlog season shows.

As an aside, when I finished the first season of Gunslinger Girl, I was strongly, strongly warned off of its second season by everybody on the board, even cajunator, who liked almost everything. I'm glad I avoided a negative viewing experience, and I feel like the character-centric nature of the first season allows it to stand alone nicely, but in my years on the forum, I've never witnessed someone watch that second season to completion. And I've seen a lot of people watch a lot of terrible shows.

Food for thought.

Love Hina ep.13-16
Yeah, this one isn't impressing me at this point. No plot, the harem hijinks aren't present, the comedy is redundant (occasionally good) and the conflict that will prevent any kind of ship of the main pair is just dull. I'll half-heartedly finish the last 8 episodes and expect nothing out of it, lol.
Love Hina
is so traumatizing that you need to hide the title behind spoiler tags.

Glad to see you're enjoying it. The show's focus on the psychological toll Section 2's whole mission and purpose take on its employees makes it fascinating. It was one of my favorite backlog season shows.

As an aside, when I finished the first season of Gunslinger Girl, I was strongly, strongly warned off of its second season by everybody on the board, even cajunator, who liked almost everything. I'm glad I avoided a negative viewing experience, and I feel like the character-centric nature of the first season allows it to stand alone nicely, but in my years on the forum, I've never witnessed someone watch that second season to completion. And I've seen a lot of people watch a lot of terrible shows.

Food for thought.

Don't worry, I've long heard of how terrible Artland's season of Gunslinger Girl is. Seems like this is one case where the original manga author's involvement made things worse.

ibyea

Banned

Food for thought.

Haha, I have heard it was bad but I didn't know it was this bad.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Found in a US Military vehicle near you.

lZ2hu4N.jpg

Quasar

I'm watching Macross Delta now and...

WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO MY FUCKING MAAAACROSSSSS?!

They had me interested with the Var Syndrome and some guy saving a stowaway and another girl from the Jenius family and some kinda Walkire agents sneaking around and whats going on now they're flying planes to fight the zombie people in robots whats... Whats going... OMGWTF Superdimensional Venus idol girls flying valkyries and performing arial concerts in moe magical girl outfits what the shojikawamourihell is going on? Ggggfhhhhhhah! Noooo not like this!

But seriously, this hurts my soul. So fellow Macross vets, I'm I judging to hard too soon?

I don't think so. I might just bail and do a Frontier rewatch. Seems like they turned it into a magical girl show.

Cornbread78

Fuck the pain away
Fuck the pain away
Fuck the pain away

Have you actually tried that line on a lover before? You never know what kind of results you will get, and it might just work, wink, wink... lol.

Ah My Buddha ep.10-11
Alright, back to some funny stuff and harem action. With only two episodes lefy, I'm sure his super perv powers ae about to be revealed, lol.

Maho Girls Precure 9

At least the new movie seems like it will have some decent fights this time. Marine continues to be a treasure. Riko sure is broken up about all this. Nice to see some tactics attempted. And nice to see Mirai and Riko riding on the broom again makes them faster again. Did no one see them transform? Lame. I guess the bulk of the rest of the series will be on Earth. Hopefully this will lead to Mirai getting some development, because so far the overwhelming bulk of that has been on the tsundere.

It feels like a waste that we're going back already. We have like 12 other seasons of earth. Fuck it

My Hero Academia 01

I love works were amazing stuff like super powers become mundane everyday things. I love a lot of the latter xmen comics that focus more on mutants forming their own society with their own culture and such. It's such a unique setting that isn't as utilized. This show has that on top of a sweeet Western-eque artstlye that helps it stand out more. Can't wait for more.

kewlmyc

heavy object 1-4
after a fairly boring first episode this show is basically what I hoped aldnoha would be, using intelligence to take down over powered enemies without the main character merely being better than everyone else. The main guy actually needs his comrades to do stuff, it's nice.

Reminds me that I need to finish it. Stopped after the Ohoho arc.

Hundred 1

It's basically Infinite Stratos alternative.

He even looks like Ichika. heh.

Sterok

It feels like a waste that we're going back already. We have like 12 other seasons of earth. Fuck it

Well the series is traditionally about ordinary girls becoming super heroes. And the shows that focused more on the magic world have tended to be the weaker ones. I was very much enjoying the change in pace compared to the older shows though. Still, Maho Girls has been consistently good-great thus far, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now and see what direction it's really headed before making judgements.

Just T

Gundam IBO: 3

Man Mikazuki can turn cold in an instance. I like how Kudelia is coming along and Orga's hair is still ridiculous.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Takamatsu Shinji is directing Sakamoto. Should be fine
Actually Sakamoto desu ka story is not just about awesome guy. Is more about bullying in general which get pretty interesting until the end.
Oh really? I guess I'll watch out for that then.

Of course firehawk would be watching the Infinite Stratos clone this season. Who could have seen that coming? :p
I'm scrubbing every show to see if there's anything worth watching since... well, there doesn't seem to be anything that jumps out. But yes, imagine my surprise when I was basically watching IS again. :p

----

Bakuon
NyO3ZzKl.jpg

This is like the trashy version of that bike show from a few years ago that SatoJun made... (with Kobayashi as a blonde Australian sexpot)
848full-cynthia-b.-rogers.jpg

Heck, I presume Honda is sponsoring this show as well with how much they keep talking about Honda bikes (and shitting on Suzuki).

Mailbox

Hundred episode 1
Dramatic-Crying-In-Anime-Gif.gif

Oh my god.

Its everything I wanted and more! Its Infinite Stratos, but potentially worse.
(Like seriously, holy shit its point for point IS)

I LOVE IT! This is gonna be great.

Cornbread78

Hundred episode 1
Oh my god.
Its everything I wanted and more! Its Infinite Stratos, but potentially worse.
(Like seriously, holy shit its point for point IS)
I LOVE IT! This is gonna be great.

Monday's are gonna be fun with Cerberus and Hundred to watch, lol.

Ace Attorney 01

So far this seems like a shot for shot recreation of the games' story. They even use a lot of the quirks from the game for no other reason than to remind people of the game. Thankfully I never finished the Phoenix Wright games so I can enjoy the story with fresh eyes.

Speaking of Wright, why the hell are the subs using the Americanized names when it's set in Japan?

Ace Attorney 01

So far this seems like a shot for shot recreation of the games' story. They even use a lot of the quirks from the game for no other reason than to remind people of the game. Thankfully I never finished the Phoenix Wright games so I can enjoy the story with fresh eyes.

Speaking of Wright, why the hell are the subs using the Americanized names when it's set in Japan?

Crunchyroll is offering two versions of English subs - one with the Japanese names, and one with the English names - to satisfy both contingents of viewers.

ibyea

Banned
Ace Attorney 01

Because it's familiar. It's more for comfort than anything else really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom