• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking a bit, and I've come to the conclusion that the latest Re:Zero episode was probably the best episode out of anything I've watched this season.

I'd have to agree, the way they show how all of the resets are slowly eating away at him was powerful stuff. Excellent facial animations meant I could tell at every point that he was outright terrified without him having to vocalise any of it and it all felt justified. I usually find myself screaming at an MC not to be so damn indecisive or cowardly but here I had to say 'Yup I'd be probably an even bigger mess'.
Makiko Futaki, one of Studio Ghibli's veteran woman animators, passed away on May 13 from an unspecified illness. She was 58 years old. RIP. :(

Please remember her great works: https://sakuga.yshi.org/post?tags=makiko_futaki

Wow that's some incredible work and at such a relatively young age :(

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Makiko Futaki, one of Studio Ghibli's veteran woman animators, passed away on May 13 from an unspecified illness. She was 58 years old. RIP. :(

Please remember her great works: https://sakuga.yshi.org/post?tags=makiko_futaki

RIP :(

Kiznaiver 6

Yeah, that was good. The scene when Maki was in shock during filming was some powerful stuff.

Sakamoto desu ga 5

Sumo hand fighting scene was cool. Stop with the volleyball scene please.

Best surprise of the season. Renewing my faith in Trigger after KLK.
What are the other contenders for AOTS?

Kiznaiver so far reigns supreme, but I'd say Re:Zero. Kabaneri was up there but after last week idk how I feel about it being more than just entertaining. These two shows have been consistently delivering and getting better each week. Maybe Kuromukuro too, that show is surprisingly good as well. So yeah, Kiznaiver, Re:Zero and Kuromukuro in that order.

I can't remember if I came in this thread to scream about how good Re:Zero and Kiznaiver are. They're so good, guys.

If you've read the manga? Ehh, not really. I can't think of any scenes that were particularly amazing animated, its censored, the art is much worse and it takes a nosedive into horrible anime original.
Oh well I'll stay with the manga then! Thank you for answer.

I'm happy for her, but that's such a weird story. I guess there're also people like MAX POWERS, so it isn't that strange for foreigners to be gimmick seiyuus I guess? Idk.

From my experience of NHK World there isn't a story in the world they couldn't waltz right past to get to the bit where the foreigner says 'I just love Japanese X'. Discussing anything that might be controversial or highlights Japan in a less than favourable light is a no no so discussing the challenges of working as a seiyuu let alone as a gaijin seiyuu is not happening.

Very relaxing station though, if 'dai jo bu' was a tv station NHK World is it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Season III Episode 7:

So this episode might as well be titled TIME FOR BACKSTORY as The Inners and by extension the audience as finally filled in on how Sailor Pluto revived, whom The Outer Guardians are and what there purpose is and the true extent of the injuries that Hotaru has suffered. Also, the last of Witches 5 actually prove to be competent by not getting blasted away and exploiting the bad blood that somehow still exists between the two groups.

Kiznaiver - 06

While the episode was executed well the drama presented still felt very much contrived regarding the TV crew harassment and alienated me a bit. Had to think over the episode and find the enjoyment rather than enjoying it whilst watching which is a shame.

Re: Zero - 01-07

I really enjoy this show. The first time loop/arc was great, however while I'm enjoying the current/second time loop/arc I feel it's not as good as the first one due to
the drama/conflict being internal rather than external; I'm still wanting to learn how/why the dude got ported into where he's in in the first place and this arc strays away from that to focus on an internal conflict happening within the manor.

Kiznaiver - 06

While the episode was executed well the drama presented still felt very much contrived regarding the TV crew harassment and alienated me a bit. Had to think over the episode and find the enjoyment rather than enjoying it whilst watching which is a shame.

It was definitely contrived, however that was kind of the point. Towards the beginning of the episode we saw Sonozaki being pressured by the mayor to get results, which is what motivated her to pull strings and arrange for the movie proposal and documentary filming to cause Maki severe emotional pain. That's why Katsuhira told Sonozaki that he was disappointed in her, because of how she's deliberately manipulating the Kiznaivers' weak points for the sake of the experiment.

Theonik

Escaflowne: The Movie - A Girl in Gaea
p0RWwvw.png
It's now been 2 years to the day since I first started watching the Escaflowne TV series. This was not planned originally but luck's had it that I happened to watch this movie in the right time.

So let's begin, what's this movie exactly then. It appears to be a re-imagining of the TV series 'Visions of Escaflowne' it shares some characters and background as the TV series but is not in the same continuity as it, with major changes done to backstories and motivations of some characters to either fit the shorter film format or to give viewers of the TV series an alternative perspective.

It seems the viewer is at least expected to have seen the series even though the continuity is different as many parts of it might not be adequately explained or expanded upon in, drawing on the viewer's background knowledge to fill in the blanks.

The film looks stunning with some very detailed art and a very high budget as you would expect from a film like this. The fight scene at the start is really dynamic and would showcase some of Studio BONES's later work being that this was the first large production they produced under the BONES moniker.

Some very bold decisions were taken in redesigning the world in this movie, elements of the original series are borrowed but then used in new ways. Guymelfs are much less common in this which makes it feel more like fantasy anime than the mech focus of the original. They also function more like creatures than machines in this which might be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask.

Yoko Kanno's score is great in this movie as well though it borrows heavily from the work she did in the series with some themes being re-used.

One thing that should be noted for fans of the original show is that the tone is much darker in this film which kinda feels out of place when comparing it to the original series and the characters and especially Folken are much simpler and boring, seemingly in an attempt to make it 'edgier' the series script is a mess yet this manages to be even worse.

The animation and production values still make this a worthwhile watch.

Kyuur

Kiznaiver - 06

Re: Zero - 01-07

I really enjoy this show. The first time loop/arc was great, however while I'm enjoying the current/second time loop/arc I feel it's not as good as the first one due to
the drama/conflict being internal rather than external; I'm still wanting to learn how/why the dude got ported into where he's in in the first place and this arc strays away from that to focus on an internal conflict happening within the manor.

@Kiznaiver -- It felt contrived because it was; the TV crew was there basically on command (I'm assuming they're linked to the program via sponsor somehow or another).

@Re:Zero -- Is finding out why/how he's where he is important to people? I honestly don't expect the series to focus on that at all. The protagonist hasn't shown any concern for his situation on a whole and I don't really expect that to change.

/XX/

'Q.E.P.D.'

For someone as controlling as Miyazaki Sr. to say "I leave it up to you" (as seen on an essay dedicated to her from his book Starting Point: 1979-1996) while she was doing important KA, means that she truly had to be something else. :'-|

Hamst3r

Any Gundam psychopaths willing to look over my list and let me know if I'm missing anything crucial here? In short, I want to watch MSG from start to finish. I don't want to watch compilation movies, unless the movie is the superior version (Endless Waltz, I've heard). I want to to skip the worst entries (SD Gundam Force?), as well as the most unrelated entries (Gundam Build Fighters), at least for now. Which brings me to that list, which is chronological, and has the watch order marked in the tags. The watch order is chiefly chronological as well, but with a few deviations.

Did I get everything? Did I pick the right versions? Anything in there better off removed?

Any Gundam psychopaths willing to look over my list and let me know if I'm missing anything crucial here? In short, I want to watch MSG from start to finish. I don't want to watch compilation movies, unless the movie is the superior version (Endless Waltz, I've heard). I want to to skip the worst entries (SD Gundam Force?), as well as the most unrelated entries (Gundam Build Fighters), at least for now. Which brings me to that list, which is chronological, and has the watch order marked in the tags. The watch order is chiefly chronological as well, but with a few deviations.

Did I get everything? Did I pick the right versions? Anything in there better off removed?

Cheers I'll have to bookmark this! One of my pet peeves with Gundam is not really knowing where to start and this seem a pretty complete (if terrifying in length) list

studyguy

Re:Zero Episode 7

This episode

tumblr_m87a8dnnm41rbyquso1_500.gif

Was also sick this weekend.
Spent it watching the entire first season of Tokyo Ghoul. Never had much interest in it before, but enjoying it now. The tail end of the first season is a bit too gratuitous though. Felt like I was watching a SAW film and got a little bored. Least that hump is done.

Kuromukuro 6

I found the way this episode was paced to be pretty effective. The ending revelation works better for having come on the heels of a long fought and hard won battle. There is a sense of relief that is quickly punctured. Some of the focus being displaced onto civilians also leads well into the
explosion. Did redband and smartphone cameraman survive? Probably, but they were close enough and explosion strong enough that some shock is produced.
The choreography is mostly exciting but I think a few of the hits send the recipient a bit too far a bit too easily. The strength and weight of the combatants felt a little hard to read to me. It was an interesting choice to have the information dissemination of the modern era play a role in the episode and I wonder if that will have implications for foreign relations going forward or it was just to amp up the shock.

@Re:Zero -- Is finding out why/how he's where he is important to people? I honestly don't expect the series to focus on that at all. The protagonist hasn't shown any concern for his situation on a whole and I don't really expect that to change.

If it didn't have the time-travel gimmick then sure I wouldn't mind. However since it does then I do mind as said gimmick demands the audience to think upon the greater scope of what the show is telling/about to tell as is the nature of time-travel-based stories and for me the whole "warping/summoned to a fantasy world" falls into that greater scope category.

And for the first 6 episodes I would agree with you, however the beginning of episode 7 reveals the protagonist taking upon the crushing weight of his situation upon the realization that he
can't tell anyone about his time-travel powers and must shoulder the emotional/psychological burden of going through time loops repeatedly alone

Clov

Armored Trooper Votoms 27

Seeing Kan-Yu get tossed into a burning chasm has got to be the most satisfying moment on the show so far.
With this, it looks like the Space Vietnam arc has come to an end. It was great, though I feel like the earlier episodes in it were better than some of the latter ones. I wonder where the show's going to go from here?

phaze

Glad you enjoyed it. When I watched it, I watched an episode every now and then instead of binge-watching. The show I feel is much more easy to digest that way. Every episode is basically its own thing, and I paced through it myself. I can see how one can get that "detached" feeling if they binge-watch it, as the episodes don't connect with each other.

Mawaru Penguindrum - 3

Yep. She's a yandere.

This is going to be one of those shows, isn't it?

One of those shows with hot blooded people fighting for the sake of true love yes.
picturen6p3j.png

Was also sick this weekend.
Spent it watching the entire first season of Tokyo Ghoul. Never had much interest in it before, but enjoying it now. The tail end of the first season is a bit too gratuitous though. Felt like I was watching a SAW film and got a little bored. Least that hump is done.
Please don't watch second season.

Ascheroth

If it didn't have the time-travel gimmick then sure I wouldn't mind. However since it does then I do mind as said gimmick demands the audience to think upon the greater scope of what the show is telling/about to tell as is the nature of time-travel-based stories and for me the whole "warping/summoned to a fantasy world" falls into that greater scope category.

And for the first 6 episodes I would agree with you, however the beginning of episode 7 reveals the protagonist taking upon the crushing weight of his situation upon the realization that he
can't tell anyone about his time-travel powers and must shoulder the emotional/psychological burden of going through time loops repeatedly alone

I'm not sure why you think this second arc doesn't focus on his power and the circumstances, if anything it easily reveals more (then again, the first arc told nothing about the why's and how's of his looping, so I'm not sure on what criteria you're basing this all)

This second arc told us that Subarus power has most likely something to do with the Jealous Witch (whose name we only heard in arc 1 but learned a bit more now). We learned that he cannot reveal it to anyone. We also learned about the value of Emilias insignia and there is the possibility that she has some relation to the Jealous Witch and Subarus power based on how she introduced herself the first time)

And, even though this arc is happening only in the mansion, there was a LOT of worldbuilding.

I'm not sure why you think this second arc doesn't focus on his power and the circumstances, if anything it easily reveals more (then again, the first arc told nothing about the why's and how's of his looping, so I'm not sure on what criteria you're basing this all)

This second arc told us that Subarus power has most likely something to do with the Jealous Witch (whose name we only heard in arc 1 but learned a bit more now). We learned that he cannot reveal it to anyone. We also learned about the value of Emilias insignia and there is the possibility that she has some relation to the Jealous Witch and Subarus power based on how she introduced herself the first time)

And, even though this arc is happening only in the mansion, there was a LOT of worldbuilding.

Maybe internal/external was the wrong way to put it (I assume you are referring to my original post) but to hopefully explain it better, the first arc dealt with
Subaru realizing/using his powers to prevent the deaths of people who he grew attached to similar to Steins;Gate or the most recent Erased, both shows who also use the time-travel gimmick. So while the implied "purpose" was not given outright it is implied he was sent there to prevent tragedy/death which I could get behind (see my praise for Steins;Gate and Erased, though the latter faltered in its latter half/ending).

The second arc
focuses on the death of Subaru himself and for me I assumed that since Subaru is the focus then the force/antagonist that's out to get him would play more of an explicit role in how Subaru obtained his powers and/or how we got into the fantasy world in the first place. Instead it was due to the blue-haired made being jealous
which kind of feels weak compared to the first arc in my opinion.

Still enjoy the show, just feel that the second arcs falls behind the first.

TrueBlue

Re: Zero 1 - 7

Really enjoying this so far, glad I took the leap. The first two episodes grabbed me in a way that reminded me of Madoka Magica. Been consistently good from the off too - it looks nice, has a likeable and distinct cast, and pulls off its attempts at both humour and drama. I also find it to be a nice deconstruction of the "trapped in another world" shtick - the MC trying and failing to be genre savvy for instance.

Still, the show avoids the pitfall of just poking fun at the genre, and remembers to tell an engaging tale in it's own right.

Good stuff.

So...Danball Senki. Where do I start? And where is it streamed? I'm from the UK.

Ascheroth

Maybe internal/external was the wrong way to put it (I assume you are referring to my original post) but to hopefully explain it better, the first arc dealt with
Subaru realizing/using his powers to prevent the deaths of people who he grew attached to similar to Steins;Gate or the most recent Erased, both shows who also use the time-travel gimmick. So while the implied "purpose" was not given outright it is implied he was sent there to prevent tragedy/death which I could get behind (see my praise for Steins;Gate and Erased, though the latter faltered in its latter half/ending).

The second arc
focuses on the death of Subaru himself and for me I assumed that since Subaru is the focus then the force/antagonist that's out to get him would play more of an explicit role in how Subaru obtained his powers and/or how we got into the fantasy world in the first place. Instead it was due to the blue-haired made being jealous
which kind of feels weak compared to the first arc in my opinion.

Still enjoy the show, just feel that the second arcs falls behind the first.

Ah, yeah, the internal/external confused me a bit (I associate that with something else), but I get what you mean now.

Then again, this arc
also focuses on Subaru having to prevent a tragedy, since if he does nothing Ram dies. But yep, it's more focused on Subaru himself having to deal with what the reset means. And considering she died in the last loop, I'm not entirely sure this really is only about Rems jealousy. Remeber how they introduced curses and shamans? I do think there is someone else acting.
I expect more about his power being slowly revealed in time, but I don't think it's going to be anytime soon.

Jarmel

Banned
For the beginning, sure. For later on, it would be solid with Bones production values.

I mean I haven't seen Triage X but it's not like Xebec is Liden or TMS. If the animation director is good enough, I'm not particularly worried.

Also BONES never does ecchi shows, even how somewhat light this particular work is.

Cerberus Episode 7 – Transform
CimgPfXWsAA9Ebe.jpg

Hiiro immediately after he cheered up was the best moment. I laughed.

Did Tomittee really think Hiiro could go into Dragon mode on his own volition. Too early.

phaze

Oh is it a mess or something? How unfortunate. Like I said, I had no previous experience with source material so I've gone in blind. It was okay despite some of the characters being a bit aggravating.

It's a severe mess both story and production wise. The former is a very weird mix of anime original stuff and butchering of the manga, the combination of which ends up making no sense a lot of time.

Sterok

Sailor Moon Crystal S3 7

Yeah, Haruka and Michiru had really poor reasons for being all vague earlier. Plus the enemies are on Earth, so they're kind of within the jurisdiction of the Inners now. Robo-Hotaru is what I really wanted to see though. I think fighting the Outers is the Inners' most competent moment of the season thus far.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal S3 7

Yeah, Haruka and Michiru had really poor reasons for being all vague earlier. Plus the enemies are on Earth, so they're kind of within the jurisdiction of the Inners now.

What is missing from that scene is that according to tradition The Inners and The Outers don't work together because of different mission statements. That is to say The Inners have been previous to this the personal court guard of Serenity and something that changed with this incarnation of the Sailor Guardians is that the princess leads the team. Also, not all of the story has been laid out yet which is the true source of contention. In all honestly, this was a plotline that was just overall better handled by the 1990s series.

Mailbox

Does anyone know if the Valkyria Chronicles anime streams on any legit sites?

I'm trying to link it before posting the OT.

As someone who is currently playing through it on PC, if you haven't, just play the game (or at least play it first).

the game is just so damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom