• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

Anne-Happy episodes 4-6

Okay, so episodes 4 and 5 pretty much have me convinced that this show is essensially what School-Live! would be like if it didn't have
Zombies
(Yeah, I put the episode 1 twist in spoilers, but I kinda felt I had to a lil.)

The tone and pacing of the SOL moments are basically the same. That said, episode 6 continues to tease the audience about the back-end of the show. Specifically the background when timothy is painting himself gold, and the seemingly military chatter and equipment that the teacher has at her disposal. This episode did cement 1 thing for me though. I no longer expect this show to give any sort of twist or change of tone later in the season. Instead, I expect this show to stay a SOL of unlucky girls with slight quasi-serious undertones. I expect more of episode 6 with maybe a reveal of what's going on just for the audiences curiosity.

These haven't been the worst SOL episodes I've seen, but its definitely lackluster compared to the likes of "is the order a rabbit" and especially non non byori (even though its the same studio), but it definitely feels like Silver Link has a grasp of how to make things good but are are probably stuck with the source material they have. I just know that I've liked stuff Silver Link has done in the past, but that here its not really A game. But somehow I can't seem to blame them 100% here, because it seems (to me at least) like they're trying.

Sometimes, depending on the IP, that's just not enough.

I'll keep watching this to the end, but without the hope that we will get something meaty in terms of the darker undertones.

Syrinx

Sketchbook 3-4

My favorite part about Sora as the lead is how she's a girl of relatively few words. Simply watching her observe the world around her and just doing her thing makes this show worthwhile in itself.

Narag

Cerberus 7
mU09zOyl.png

FUvRNg7l.png

Simply the best.

blurr

My Hero Academia 07

Flashbacks in this episode show how little by little Deku thought low of himself but him being Quirk-less was the nail in the coffin(albeit he was still seeking for reassurance afterwards). Bakugo feeding off his insecurity, as I thought earlier, personification of his fear and hesitation.

To surpass Bakugo isn't something Deku is doing because he overestimates himself or underestimates Bakugo but because it's an amazing thing to do while he also acknowledges that he is difficult to beat - I love this. People with low self esteem but a passion for something often think that 'maybe' they're just overestimating themselves and the thing they want to do is too much for them.

As for Quirks (warning: may come off as overly analytical content):
My interpretation of "Quirks" is that they are an identity or a unique quality in expressing something, analogous to an artistic style. Everyone's a proficient in something but he isn't particular about a style or meaning but the act of expressing itself is something that motivates him. It's enough of a drive but the lack of an identity or style would leave his work unappreciated consequently damaging to himself. In this instance it makes sense to stick to an existing/established style which is All Might's super strength. He of course doesn't receive it at no expense, immense training is involved. Despite that, All Might's strength is only visible in flashes, his body needs to get used to it much like an artist requires practice for mastery.

I love it when shows try to deal real issues and relay meaningful messages. More so with a Shounen action show. Now this is reminding me of Gurren Lagann.

Thoraxes

It's like I wrote this anime.
RS has some cheap blurays and dvd on sale
http://www.rightstufanime.com/sales-and-promos/5-Dollar-Deals

$10:
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya Bluray
Nyan Koi Bluray

$7.50:
K-ON!: The Movie Bluray

More in the link

Well, since i've been looking for a reason to finally buy volume 2 of Mahouka... I guess since the three i've left listed above were the only ones I wanted, I added Mahouka to get free shipping to save my future self $4. RIP me.

Also i'm super happy about Nyan Koi being at that price. I really like that show a lot and have been looking for a reason to buy it.

I don't remember the last pure fanservice show I was watching.

Screenshots and gifs are more than enough for me.

---

Weekly BD/DVD sales

Code:
408 ガルパンOVA
337 ガルパン2
336 ガルパン3
328 ガルパン6
327 ガルパン4
318 ガルパン5
306 ガルパン1

Panzer Vor!

Mailbox

AnimeGAF : "Ugh, another fanservicey nonsens.."
*Ass Uppercut*
AnimeGAF : "I'M FUCKING IN BABY!!"

idk about the others here, but I only hate tacked on fanservice. You know, the "trip and you see a panty shot" or shit like that. If a show is actually good and doesn't have out of place fanservice or is so self aware of itself that its just fun, I'll probably really enjoy it.

Its why I actually quite like the first 2 seasons of Highschool DxD, Prison school, Shimoneta or even the fanservice parts of dusk maiden of amnesia but not something like OniAi or OniSuki. (I was gonna post another example of one I didn't like, but it also had "Oni" in it, and I didn't feel like making that a point)

Basically, theres more to fanservice in shows than just fanservice. I kinda feel like fanservice should service the show more than it should service the audience, i guess.

Theonik

Cerberus 7
Simply the best.
pupupu

AnimeGAF : "Ugh, another fanservicey nonsens.."
*Ass Uppercut*
AnimeGAF : "I'M FUCKING IN BABY!!"
You say this like AnimeGAF is a single entity. Some people like this specific kind of show because it's entertaining, especially while the novelty lasts. Also there is nothing fundamentally wrong with nudity in shows unless you have some strange puritan obsession or something.

In short:

Wasn't really interested, but I am now. I hope they have ultimate attacks.
Yes they do!

i've recently discovered a subset of the fandom which is entirely about shipping the "American" tank commander and the "British" tank commander.

the art is suprisingly prolific (and good)
Welcome aboard soldier!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The day I discovered they are not in fact nationals of the countries they represent but just Tea-aboos and Freeaboos was the day I stopped living.

Jintor

The day I discovered they are not in fact nationals of the countries they represent but just Tea-aboos and Freeaboos was the day I stopped living.

i think it makes it even better.

it's just a big tank otaku war and everyone is cute girls.

Time to read Keijo.

Between stuff like Prison School and Monster Musume, it seems AnimeGAF likes this kind of shows though. Over the top, crazy fanservice.

Eh, labelling Prison School like that does it a great disservice (The manga anyway. I haven't seen the show). It confronts sexuality and perversion in a way that's entirely absent from bland titillation like TLR and MonMusume's glossy presentation of their subject; it has its roots in exploitation more than typical fanservice and some of the more perverse moments aren't handled lightly in terms of composition and texture. The humour often comes from the weight and tension the scenes are afforded by Hiramoto's art style. Of course those other manga aren't trying to be Prison School and that's fine too, but they aren't on its level.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The twits of Twitter have recently complaining that Bakuon has forced fan service.

...um are they watching the same show I've seen. It was pretty obvious what this show would be from the get go.

Complaints about the hoodwinking by Kuma Miko I can completely understand though.

Defuser

You say this like AnimeGAF is a single entity. Some people like this specific kind of show because it's entertaining, especially while the novelty lasts. Also there is nothing fundamentally wrong with nudity in shows unless you have some strange puritan obsession or something.
Because more than half the time shows/manga like this are rather execute poorly or rather they sell more on the fanservice than the novelty. It also applies other than fanservice . Take GuP for example for a good novelty show where they focus the novelty more which is tank battles rather than the moeblob SoL . A poor one would be Bakuon.

The fact it's Xebec means Keijo will be more lewder than usual.

The twits of Twitter have recently complaining that Bakuon has forced fan service.

...um are they watching the same show I've seen. It was pretty obvious what this show would be from the get go.

Complaints about the hoodwinking by Kuma Miko I can completely understand though.
Yeah this makes no sense and I thought the bike washing scene was out of left field. Suzunoka (?) Has had the camera lerring at her fom day obe. It's a better show when it slows down on that stuff as in the festival episode but it's clearly a fan service show. And yeah KumaMiko annoys me far more for being a 'stealth' fan service show than Bakuon.

Jintor

k-on!! s13

kinda funny having a surreal mixed with normal dream episode and then all of them piling up and actually having kind of a wistful sense to it in the end too. ganbare azusa.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Keijo manga is legit fun. It's a shonen battle manga but with T&A. It started out normal enough, no super move or anything. And then 'boom' whirlpool using the tits.

Yup story seems to be leading in that direction, which is great, seeing how the childhood friend status in anime is ackin to the friendzone irl. Once you are in it, there ain't no way of coming out of it.

Also they both share the same hair colour so they can match.

I'm gonna bet that our MC
will not end up in a romantic relationship at all, even though he keeps going after Sonozaki.

Best guy deserves something, helping out Chidori, protecting the MC, seems to have the biggest heart out of all the characters.

But for some reason he reminds me of Kamina from Gurren Laggan so I keep thinking he's going to be
killed off.

Although he is still a bit shallow, deep down I think Yuta is also one of the most caring ones, at least with the members of the group.

Thoraxes

Because more than half the time shows/manga like this are rather execute poorly or rather they sell more on the fanservice than the novelty. It also applies other than fanservice . Take GuP for example for a good novelty show where they focus the novelty more which is tank battles rather than the moeblob SoL . A poor one would be Bakuon.

They never really add to most of the stuff they produce though. It usually already has it; they're just good at doing that part better than most.

Especially TLR-TLR:D. They were super faithful to it. They managed to storyboard according to the way the shots were used in the manga for the most part as well.

And something like Keijo can use the people experienced at the things XEBEC does best. I'd say those features will probably be executed very well, and with a series that has such an emphasis on that, we all win here.

Theonik

Some do, some do not. Shows like say Monster Musume are kind bad, because the staff doesn't even care enough about the novelty as the mangaka and they just become normal T&A shows.

Then you have shows like Prison School that make liberal use of nudity but is nothing like this. Now I don't expect this to be anything like Prison School.

As far as the general argument of novelty vs entertainment it kind of depends on the person. Some find the idea of a battle manga that is entirely driven by T&A to be fairly novel and might have fun with it. Others perhaps don't. Xebec is probably the best studio for this show tbh.

It kind depends on the staff.

Jintor

i think maybe because when i first watched k-on i was a student and now that i'm rewatching it I'm a teacher, but man, I didn't really think about how much exactly k-on just craps on sawako-sensei throughout.

poor sawako-sensei

I liked Monster Monsume as a show about monstergirls, but the fanservice itself wasn't very...advanced or even stimulating. It was like they did the fanservice because it was expected of the show but didn't put a lot of heart into it.

Then you have shows like Maken-ki! or Ladies versus Butlers were you look at that fanservice and its like the people working on it know exactly how to do fanservice in the most stimulating of ways. They don't just draw some shaking big boobs and call it a day.

Course the same logic applies to any other kind of show too.

i think maybe because when i first watched k-on i was a student and now that i'm rewatching it I'm a teacher, but man, I didn't really think about how much exactly k-on just craps on sawako-sensei throughout.

poor sawako-sensei

The young, somewhat irresponsible female teacher shows up in a lot of anime. Perhaps those traits make her less threatening of an authority figure to the audience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom