• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I understand why they did it for timing reasons, but I still think it would have been equally as effective if they had just rule of 3'd it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
As someone that still buys shows, man it is really disappointing how much worse subs can look even on Blu-ray compared to the soft sub translations that talented fans can make. Nothing worse than that garish yellow subtitle font showing up in a show you just bought on Blu-ray that aired in 201x.

As someone that still buys shows, man it is really disappointing how much worse subs can look even on Blu-ray compared to the soft sub translations that talented fans can make. Nothing worse than that garish yellow subtitle font showing up in a show you just bought on Blu-ray that aired in 201x.

Buying Sentai releases, I take it?

Haruhi "Endless 8" arc END
OK, I did it, I skipped the rest of the episodes of the arc (Thank you for saving me the pain Jintor) and yeah, what a terrible conclusion. That was stupid. I would have been sooo pissed if I had been watching tis series live and had to waste 8 weeks with that garbage.

Since I'm so out of order, I only have 6 episodes left now, so cheers.
You didn't watch all of Endless Eight?

I am revoking your status as AnimeGaf's chosen one.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Buying Sentai releases, I take it?

cry1.gif

duckroll

Empire of Corpses

First I will admit that I went into this will pretty low expectations, given what others have said about it. There's certainly a level of bias there, and having just watched Harmony recently, I was convinced that the people at WIT Studio wouldn't be able to match it in terms of naunce or depth. What I wasn't really prepared for though, was that they didn't even try! That might not even be a bad thing, depending on what you want out of an anime movie though.

Devoid of any subtlety, this is a full blown Anime™ Action movie. Kinda reminds me of those scifi action OVAs throughout the 90s which had thin narratives, rushed storytelling, and lots of OMG LOOK AT ME cool action. It's a bit of a pity because there're clearly interesting ideas in the setting and story, buried under all the noise and never given the chance to shine. Instead what we have padding the long 2 hour runtime is scene after scene of pointless action. There are lots of fights in this movie, and most of them are animated pretty well, but unfortunately none of them mean anything. I can't think of a single fight in the movie which actually had consequence, stakes, or emotional purpose on any level. In fact, I do not believe that a single fight involves a named adversary with any sort of development. Yet they can go on and on. If only as much effort and attention was put into the script.

I wouldn't say the story in the movie is a mess. It makes sense, the dots connect, and it has an opening and ending. But it's also extremely unfulfilling given the setting and the themes touched upon. Instead of showing us more of such an interesting alternate reality world, it indulges in explosions, brawls, and large scale zombie attacks. Considering other WIT Studio works, even the style here feels all too familiar, and honestly rather stale. None of the action was particularly creative either, so that didn't help either. It felt like I was watching someone play through the stages in Devil May Cry 3 rather than the boss fights. Yawn.

What I probably disliked the most about the film is how hollow the entire story felt by the end. I didn't feel like I really knew or cared for any of the characters outside of fact that they were lifted from different 19th century novels. The motivations lacked the development to make them meaningful, and ultimately there's nothing memorable about the tale that unfolded.

So what's there to like about this? Well, I appreciate that the setting is pretty novel and gorgeously rendered with amazing production design. The artwork is pretty stunning most of the time. I also like that all the literary homages and nods are varied. It's not just English novels either, but French and Russian too. There are even historical references to Japan, Asia, and the Middle East. The flavoring in the setting is pretty delicious. The music rocks too. Too bad about the story!

It's somewhat ironic that a central theme in the story is the claim that language and communication is the basis for consciousness and the root of the human soul. Because if that's true, then WIT Studio has simply exhibited that their consciousness and the root of their soul is nothing more than loud bombastic action that values style over substance, since that's the only language they seem capable of speaking here.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I honestly can't remember anything about it. :dtl, Eyebrows, and magic nonsensical green liquid with some sort of plot in between.

Cornbread78

You didn't watch all of Endless Eight?
I am revoking your status as AnimeGaf's chosen one.

Was there ever such a thing? I am only a mindless peon enjoying the medium.

My respect for Cornbread78 has plummeted today.

I'm sorry I couldn't bring myself to suffer in the same way you all had to. You have my deepest sympathies in that regard. I'm sorry I let you down. I'll make it up to you by watching a show of your choice that is 14 episodes and under....

Sasuga kiritobread, sasuga

Lol. I only did what I thought best for my mental state having already gone through several episodes of the same thing.... Why? Why would they do that to poor people that just wanted to enjoy their show?

Now I know what all that "endless 8" talk was about from before!

Theonik

Is the dub for the Rurouni Kenshin series decent or should I go with sub?
It really depends on your taste? My answer will generally always be go with subs. (or better yet learn Japanese/French/German whatever)

If you really just want to go with the dub does it really matter? Give both a try on the first episode and decide whether you like the dub?

tuffy

Is the dub for the Rurouni Kenshin series decent or should I go with sub?
It's fine from what I remember. Being a late '90s Bang Zoom! dub, you're going to hear a lot of people you might remember from contemporaries like Cowboy Bebop or the Big O.

Theonik

Quote:

So basically nothing new, which means no more material to be adapted, which means no season 2. Feelsbadman.
Hyouka S2 is pretty unlikely now as KyoAni has pretty much completely shifted to just doing their own stuff now.

Someone else could still do it but I don't think people asking for Hyouka S2 want this.

Cornbread78

Cornbread's watching Endride but he won't watch Endless Eight, smdh.

As the saying goes, if your seen 1, you've seen them all....

Os5hyrT.gif

Besides, I watched 5 1/2/8 anyhow, lol.

Also, Endride wouldn't be half bad if they stopped having the MCs fight like bit(hes 1/2 of each episode....

Qurupeke

Eh, labelling Prison School like that does it a great disservice (The manga anyway. I haven't seen the show). It confronts sexuality and perversion in a way that's entirely absent from bland titillation like TLR and MonMusume's glossy presentation of their subject; it has its roots in exploitation more than typical fanservice and some of the more perverse moments aren't handled lightly in terms of composition and texture. The humour often comes from the weight and tension the scenes are afforded by Hiramoto's art style. Of course those other manga aren't trying to be Prison School and that's fine too, but they aren't on its level.

I haven't watched these shows, I'm reading the Prison School manga though and I don't completely get what you mean. Sure, it's more than just another lewd show because of all these surreal situations and crazy analogies , but it's not like it's not one of them. It's just a lot more clever than your average show on what it presents.

I haven't watched these shows, I'm reading the Prison School manga though and I don't completely get what you mean. Sure, it's more than just another lewd show because of all these surreal situations and crazy analogies , but it's not like it's not one of them. It's just a lot more clever than your average show on what it presents.

I haven't read the manga but the show was definitely a fan service vehicle, it was funny and better written than most (let's hear it for the principal) but it was at base about attractive women in little to no clothing.

Hyouka S2 is pretty unlikely now as KyoAni has pretty much completely shifted to just doing their own stuff now.

Someone else could still do it but I don't think people asking for Hyouka S2 want this.

That's not exactly true. Takemoto did Amagi Brilliant Park for the sake of his bro Gatoh, and since then KyoAni has picked up both Sound Euphonium and A Silent Voice from other publishers to adapt because they liked the material. I think a Hyouka followup from KyoAni is still within the realm of possibility, unlike Haruhi/FMP/Key/etc.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm sorry I couldn't bring myself to suffer in the same way you all had to. You have my deepest sympathies in that regard. I'm sorry I let you down. I'll make it up to you by watching a show of your choice that is 14 episodes and under....

I didn't suffer though. I just watched it. I didn't even know about Endless Eight until afterwards and I read up about it. I went in completely blind. This was when I was a casual anime viewer so wasn't part of any community. I just heard of Haruhi since the dance was popular.

And for once I could say watch Kill Me Baby and have someone actually listen to the request. I shouldn't be given such power!

duckroll

That's not exactly true. Takemoto did Amagi Brilliant Park for the sake of his bro Gatoh, and since then KyoAni has picked up both Sound Euphonium and A Silent Voice from other publishers to adapt because they liked the material. I think a Hyouka followup from KyoAni is still within the realm of possibility, unlike Haruhi/FMP/Key/etc.

I think FMP is within the realm of possibility too.

Hahahahahahaha. Just kidding.

Sorry FMP fans!

I think FMP is within the realm of possibility too.

Hahahahahahaha. Just kidding.

Sorry FMP fans!
I'm not going to stop hoping for FMP season 4 when it was literally announced last Fall.
Some sort of new FMP anime adaptation was announced last October, as I recall, though there hasn't been any news since.

Well this is confusing, is there a Season 4 of FMP coming or not?

Edit: Well this is the ANN story about the announcement but if we haven't heard anything since can we discount this?

tuffy

Well this is confusing, is there a Season 4 of FMP coming or not?

Edit: Well this is the ANN story about the announcement but if we haven't heard anything since can we discount this?
It's presumably still coming, but not from KyoAni. They didn't do the first season either, so changing studios isn't new to the franchise.

As the saying goes, if your seen 1, you've seen them all....

Os5hyrT.gif

Besides, I watched 5 1/2/8 anyhow, lol.

Also, Endride wouldn't be half bad if they stopped having the MCs fight like bit(hes 1/2 of each episode....

Stop thats the most appealing part of the show, unless you wanted another run of the mill Moody teen lead {Emilio} with femChildhood friend fantasy series.

blurr

Haruhi "Endless 8" arc END
OK, I did it, I skipped the rest of the episodes of the arc (Thank you for saving me the pain Jintor) and yeah, what a terrible conclusion. That was stupid. I would have been sooo pissed if I had been watching tis series live and had to waste 8 weeks with that garbage.

Since I'm so out of order, I only have 6 episodes left now, so cheers.

I was told to skip endless 8 too >_> kind of regret actually

I came to appreciate their effort at trolling viewers only much later.

Also, glad you've resumed watching Haruhi.

Cornbread78

And for once I could say watch Kill Me Baby and have someone actually listen to the request. I shouldn't be given such power!

Oh no, what have I done..... Well, I watched Love Live S1 as promised to Woofy back in the day, so here goes nothing....

Stop thats the most appealing part of the show, unless you wanted another run of the mill Moody teen lead {Emilio} with femChildhood friend fantasy series.

I think we are the only two gaffers watching the show as of right now, lol. The adventure aspect of the show isn't too bad, but yeah, they need to stop the presentation of these two bickering all the time and just move onto the bromance side. I mean, a little banter is a good thing, but they haven't stopped with the nonsense in 7 episodes now, lol.

Your ship of choice DTL:
vRKqhC2.png

I was told to skip endless 8 too >_> kind of regret actually
I came to appreciate their effort at trolling viewers only much later.
Also, glad you've resumed watching Haruhi.

I will appreciate them trolling future viewers as well, however.......

I'll finish the rest of it, including the movie by the end of the week, hopefully..

So I'm probably gonna drop Twin Star Exorcists.

The plot is barely moving, and not in particularly interesting way. It doesn't help that a lot of the characters feel pretty useless.

Also this thing.
kinako_anime_design.png

Jesus Christ, why Pierrot?

The plot is barely moving, and not in particularly interesting way. It doesn't help that a lot of the characters feel pretty useless.

Also this thing.
kinako_anime_design.png

the Manga which is much better paced and written and it makes for a very fun Shonen action (I assume) Manga with romantic comedy elements.

I'd say go for that instead.

Well, I appreciated that Endless 8 gave use several versions of the same shots/scenes with different direction.

I would've liked it much more if there was some clever narrative element and perhaps even a great plot twist or at least revelation in there. But there wasn't anything hidden and the way Kyon ended the loop was so forgettable that I forgot it!

blurr

I will appreciate them trolling future viewers as well, however.......

I'll finish the rest of it, including the movie by the end of the week, hopefully..

oh man so excited for you to watch the movie, I could just cry (been really hard to get people to watch it thanks to the TV show)

If this happened I would learn flash, draw notlikethis.gif on 1s, dub my voice over it and apply JP subs, then pay for a video billboard to screen it outside the building of whoever commissioned it until it finished airing.

I'd actually just watch it and be sad

I was responding to Prison School being categorised alongside shows/manga that I think differ fundamentally in their appeal and what they provide. I don't think enjoyment of one predicts enjoyment of the other, which seemed to be what was implied and what I objected to. It seems like you haven't seen the example you used (MonMusume) anyway though? As for not getting what I meant, I would struggle to be more specific without going to the text and posting pages so I'll leave that here. Look at Kiyoshi and Hana's relationship to see how PS differs in terms of how it presents sexuality.

I haven't read the manga but the show was definitely a fan service vehicle, it was funny and better written than most (let's hear it for the principal) but it was at base about attractive women in little to no clothing.

My point was this this goes so little of the way towards describing the appeal of Prison School that it doesn't make sense to label it that way. That's all.

TUSR

Banned
Well, I appreciated that Endless 8 gave use several versions of the same shots/scenes with different direction.

I would've liked it much more if there was some clever narrative element and perhaps even a great plot twist or at least revelation in there. But there wasn't anything hidden and the way Kyon ended the loop was so forgettable that I forgot it!
i haven't done my homework

[Kotenbu series]

? Most of the previously serialized material hasn't been adapted.

Probably not enough for another TV series yet, no.

As far as I know, novels 1-4 got fully covered by the anime, and like you said not enough material is out for another full season. Unless they went the OVA/film route, which has happened with their previous works. But this late in the game, I do have to wonder if we will ever see them revisit the series. I think I'll legitimately cry tears of joy if we get ANY sort of continuation, be it a series or a movie.

I wouldn't have it any other way tbh. Part of what makes Hyouka such a great piece in my eyes is how expressive the animation and visuals are, and no studio would be able to give it the proper love it deserves other than those guys. Get the same crew that did all of S1, put them back on board, and then we are talking business.

Ascheroth

Also this thing.
kinako_anime_design.png

Can't really fault anyone for that.
I think it's pretty good for what it is - a 50 episode adaption of a 30 chapter manga. ..But then you'd also have to ask yourself why you would even make a 50 episode adaption of a 30 chapter manga.
The original content usually fits in very well and sometimes even enhances the material, but it also means the main plot is slowing to a crawl.

You think the MHA anime is slow? Well, let me tell you something. As of 6 episodes, Twin Star Exorcists has not even entirely covered the first 3 chapters of the manga. That's right. And with how things are looking, I wouldn't be surprised if they used chapters 4 and 5 as a season climax. Yeah, you haven't read that wrong.

I'd recommend checking out the manga if you're even remotely interested, it's a pretty good battle shounen with some comedy and romance (but not necessarily romantic comedy). It also doesn't have the mascot.

My point was this this goes so little of the way towards describing the appeal of Prison School that it doesn't make sense to label it that way. That's all.

Ahhh I missed that, you're right there are many other shows that offer more T&A than Prison School without half the writing quality. I actually find that a lot of T&A shows have better deconstructions of archetypes and meta humour than non-T&A shows it's as if the T&A aspect is all management wanted so whatever else fills the running time is up to the writer/producer.

John Blade

Just finish watching Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino and now going through the special. Will say, I was a bit surprise of how it mange to come back from my disappointing feeling in the beginning. Still, not saying the show is great....just better than I was expecting. That ending...man...the feel...

Cornbread78

Date a Live ep.10-END
Ayk318Z.png

Of course, he had to "save" his sister to end the season, but while on the date, he gets three girls to accompany him at first. Truly a work of art and a masterpiece. And that
confession
at the end; breathtaking! Now remember, they are not "biological" siblings; hat wouldn't be anime enough, lol.

On to second season whenever I need to waste some time with mindless, but entertaining, trash..

Clov

Yeah, all of Sentai and Maiden Japan's releases have those subtitles (except for Hidamari Sketch S2, which have white ones by mistake). They're pretty ugly. It's too bad that BD players don't really support the kind of subtitle styles you'd find in a fansub. They're much, much more limited.

At the very least, most companies outside of Sentai/Maiden Japan use nicer looking white subtitles!

Cornbread78

Kill me Baby ep.1
9cX5QeC.gif

Ok, not bad. I can stand to watch this kind of zany comedy in bits and pieces. Her poor handwas snapped like a pretzel many times and the assassin chick is a scardy cat... It's definitely going to get borderline yuri, isn't it? Some interesting fan art online for this one, lol.

Also found an awesome gif that I saved for future use in here...

nzYiouv.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom