• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

The young, somewhat irresponsible female teacher shows up in a lot of anime. Perhaps those traits make her less threatening of an authority figure to the audience?

Oh absolutely. Most authority-figure teachers are either not shown at all, have their faces off-screen (Charlie Brown adult style), or aren't really characters so much as... well, teachers (there's only one other recurring teacher in K-on, the old lady science teacher who only wears shiny glasses!)

where's my SoL about freshly-graduated teachers going into their first assignment at a middle-of-the-road high school? (class char designs would be hell... unless you pull a non non biyori and have a tiny school)

The young, somewhat irresponsible female teacher shows up in a lot of anime. Perhaps those traits make her less threatening of an authority figure to the audience?

Yeah and because of that I would say her archetype is more likely to be warmly remembered by students which sits well with S2's focus on nostalgic evocation.

Jintor

the thing that annoys me though is she kinda gets shat on even when she's being responsible, like the marathon episode she gets left behind searching for yui like a good teacher because... well, because it's kinda funny.

on the other hand, other times she goes drinking until 5am before the bus to summerfes, so idk sawako-sensei

Oh absolutely. Most authority-figure teachers are either not shown at all, have their faces off-screen (Charlie Brown adult style), or aren't really characters so much as... well, teachers (there's only one other recurring teacher in K-on, the old lady science teacher who only wears shiny glasses!)

where's my SoL about freshly-graduated teachers going into their first assignment at a middle-of-the-road high school? (class char designs would be hell... unless you pull a non non biyori and have a tiny school)

Ha ha.

Even if they're not the main characters, Nichijou has some good recurring teacher characters.

Narag

Always the 800+ year old evil loli...

d0dx15kl.png

Jintor

what is the age where you wrap around from being an old person back to being an immortally young person?

like, someone in their 90s is old. someone in their 100s is definitely old. But probably once you hit like 150 or so you're probably back to being an immortally young person right?

probably just the 'beyond human lifespan' thing right? or is it gonna vary depending on species? I guess a 90 year old elf is, what, like a teenager or something

Narag

Yeah it's all relative which is like the 80 year old elves in fantasy books get looked down upon as young and impetuous by their older generation.

Jintor

i've always found that weird. you'd think society/culture would change at a faster rate even if the maturity/dying off rate is different.

I imagine a group of people who have insanely long life spans tend to get a bit full of themselves.

"I've been alive 673 years, what could you possibly teach me that I didn't teach your ancestors long ago?"

i've always found that weird. you'd think society/culture would change at a faster rate even if the maturity/dying off rate is different.

We're used in our present world to a fast pace of change in society and technology. However, if you go back 1000 years, the pace of change was much less. even as life expectancy was also much less. Change doesn't happen at a steady rate throughout time.

Jintor

i was thinking that inventions and ideas alone would change things, but I forgot to discount that very often you need both the commercial and political capital to let the inventions spread enough to actually impact on a society...

Defuser

I imagine a group of people who have insanely long life spans tend to get a bit full of themselves.

"I've been alive 673 years, what could you possibly teach me that I didn't teach your ancestors long ago?"

Like almost every old person I bet they're bad with a computer.

pbayne

Id imagine culture/societal advancement would decrease massively if people lived longer lives i.e not as much imperative to pro-create and pass knowledge to future generations. Plus with enough time theyd probably figure out the most efficient way to live life in maximum comfort for as little effort as possible, which would completely stagnate evolution(assuming they had no natural threats left.)

Youd probably end up at a plateau with a bunch of lazy, indolent assholes like the Eloi from the Time Machine.

Jintor

i'd also like to see more fantasy societies reach the modern era.

elves with nukes, fund it

/edit like man why haven't I seen more orcs in high school yet? smh japan. least I got centaurs.

duckroll

Empire of Corpses is to Harmony what Total Recall is to We Can Remember It For You Wholesale. Where Studio 4C evokes Darren Aronofsky and David Fincher, Wit Studio evokes the Wachowski Siblings and Zack Snyder.

i'd also like to see more fantasy societies reach the modern era.

elves with nukes, fund it

/edit like man why haven't I seen more orcs in high school yet? smh japan. least I got centaurs.
I think ero-doujins explain a good reason why you don't see orcs in high school in anime.

blurr

There is that teacher in Kiniro Mosaic, there are multiple segments of her in the show.

Fafner 4

Technobabble should never make up the majority of an episode's dialogue. What a lazy writer.

I do like the concept of a transforming mobile island though. Also, the music when the mystery core girl started singing was quite good.

Empire of Corpses is to Harmony what Total Recall is to We Can Remember It For You Wholesale. Where Studio 4C evokes Darren Aronofsky and David Fincher, Wit Studio evokes the Wachowski Siblings and Zack Snyder.

Ouch.

Cornbread78

Haruhi "Endless 8" arc/End S1
n7Sq46h.png

Ok, I get it, I get it, but why do they have the same EXACT episode 3 times in a row with little to no changes at all? It's like they aren't even trying... Why isn't Nagato helping them, since she is the only one that knows exactly what is happening.... I just don't get why they would end the first season

a) in the middle of an arc
b) in the middle of an endless arc with the same thing over and over again
c) with no resolution
d) Kyon, stop being such a wuss and do it. Get your mind off booby maid girl for 2 seconds....

uugghh

I read that as 862 yesterday, lol.

Dame thing. She is one of the worst antagonist going right now..... Well, second worse to that rival school in Asterisks and their robots...

pbayne

Comparing them doesn't say much for Harmony, since almost anything looks like a masterpiece in comparison to EOC.

Jintor

Haruhi "Endless 8" arc/End S1
n7Sq46h.png

Ok, I get it, I get it, but why do they have the same EXACT episode 3 times in a row with little to no changes at all? It's like they aren't even trying... Why isn't Nagato helping them, since she is the only one that knows exactly what is happening.... I just don't get why they would end the first season

a) in the middle of an arc
b) in the middle of an endless arc with the same thing over and over again
c) with no resolution
d) Kyon, stop being such a wuss and do it. Get your mind off booby maid girl for 2 seconds....

they literally reanimated every single scene and re-recorded every single line of dialogue, lmao

you can accuse kyoani of what you like for e8, but to accuse them of being lazy is downright incorrect

/edit oh and they don't. this is another consequence of you fucking up the episode order somehow. I don't even know how you managed this because no episode order ends it in the middle of e8

duckroll

Comparing them doesn't say much for Harmony, since almost anything looks like a masterpiece in comparison to EOC.

It wasn't a comparison of quality so much as intent and style though. I mean, I think Total Recall is a great film and certainly far better made than Empire of Corpses is. I also happen to like some of the stuff the Wachowskis make a lot, but at the same time Empire of Corpses is a far better show than Jupiter Ascending. So it wasn't a statement of quality!

Harmony is a deliberate and thoughtful film which tackles what it wants to do very well but is probably a huge turn off to many people. Empire of Corpses is a big loud Hollywood action movie that values style of substance in every aspect. That was the basic point!

Cornbread78

they literally reanimated every single scene and re-recorded every single line of dialogue, lmao

you can accuse kyoani of what you like for e8, but to accuse them of being lazy is downright incorrect

/edit oh and they don't. this is another consequence of you fucking up the episode order somehow. I don't even know how you managed this because no episode order ends it in the middle of e8

Yeah, I'm still a little pissed I'm watching everything out of order and I basically already watched the final episode at the beginning. Everything is all fu(ked up with the order, so I'm just letting it ride now, but this arc is just weird and kinda frustrating...

I do somewhat admire the crazy stunt of inserting a surprise season 2 into the middle of a Haruhi season 1 rebroadcast, on top of literally making Endless Eight eight episodes. It's kind of wasted now, but KyoAni and their producers put in a lot of effort for an extended joke.

Jintor

I do somewhat admire the crazy stunt of inserting a surprise season 2 into the middle of a Haruhi season 1 rebroadcast, on top of literally making Endless Eight eight episodes. It's kind of wasted now, but KyoAni and their producers put in a lot of effort for an extended joke.

Man I totally forgot they didn't even bother announcing it, they just did it. Lmao.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 14

Huh, so Mirai is good at school except for math. Not even the usual idiot. I knew I was correct to have high hopes for her. Though now I'm wondering how Riko fares at history. Mirai didn't need to learn another language to talk with people from another world. Haa knows how to rub it in. Heh, Riko acting on instinct didn't work out well for that poor TV. They're going to have to do something about that lucky girl eventually. New attacks are a blinder and a leaf storm. Meh. Haa is already a better artist than I. Next time she goes full cute.

Cornbread78

Haruhi "Endless 8" arc END
OK, I did it, I skipped the rest of the episodes of the arc (Thank you for saving me the pain Jintor) and yeah, what a terrible conclusion. That was stupid. I would have been sooo pissed if I had been watching tis series live and had to waste 8 weeks with that garbage.

Since I'm so out of order, I only have 6 episodes left now, so cheers.

Oh nice Crunchyroll finally joins T-mobiles BingeOn, so now it wont cost me valuable MBs in data.

T-Mobile today added services like NBC, Noggin, and Univision to Binge On. Those are some big name networks that greatly expand the number of shows that T-Mo customers can stream free with Binge On. Other video services joining Binge On today include Crunchy Roll, Great Big Story, Kiswe, Ligonier Ministries, Qello Concerts, Univision Noticias, and Toon Goggles.

Busaiku

The Lost Village 4

So Jack's still a psycho criminal that we should leave to rot, but we're just gonna forget that the execution girl tried to choke and drown Mitsumune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom