• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

Now, that I am almost done watching Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino special, was wondering what anime should I watch next from the list below. Want to get them done this year but which to watch.

Golgo 13
Godnannar
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Fafner 6

The poetic monologues that come at the end of each episode are Glass Fleet tier. Way to kill the mood. "Umbrella of smiles" indeed.

But while the execution isn't great, I still do admire the concepts going on here. Shoko's fate is an interesting idea that could have been very effective if the show had spent more time establishing and developing the characters. It still managed to get me a little bit.

Narag

Looks like a spin-off/side story OVA. Is it as good as the main series? If so, I might watch it after I watch a few other things first.

It's as good but in a different way. It's more of an 80s action movie where you have a dude and his AT rifle out for REVENGE. He's such a baller too as it's constantly him + rifle vs scopedogs and shit.

Danball Senki 13-14

The final battle against the emperor was awesome. But that fucking cockblock at the end :(

Payoff is worth it. Enjoy the anticipation.

Fafner 6

The poetic monologues that come at the end of each episode are Glass Fleet tier. Way to kill the mood. "Umbrella of smiles" indeed.

But while the execution isn't great, I still do admire the concepts going on here. Shoko's fate is an interesting idea that could have been very effective if the show had spent more time establishing and developing the characters. It still managed to get me a little bit.
Fafner's first few episodes are admittedly pretty weak as somebody who marathoned the series and Exodus in the last month or so. It gets much, much better as it goes on though

Theonik

That's not exactly true. Takemoto did Amagi Brilliant Park for the sake of his bro Gatoh, and since then KyoAni has picked up both Sound Euphonium and A Silent Voice from other publishers to adapt because they liked the material. I think a Hyouka followup from KyoAni is still within the realm of possibility, unlike Haruhi/FMP/Key/etc.
Not saying it can't happen just that it's becoming increasingly less likely. It's clear that KyoAni wants to shift away from this direction over time and with how controlling the publisher of hyouka seems to be I'm not sure that KyoAni wants this. Not to mention that the publisher might not want it either.

Defuser

I'm confused. It's no different that your standard shounen.

For a 1 cour show, the pacing is fucking slow and we're already halfway through with no hints of a 'final' villain. A standard shonen pacing should be faster especially when it got only 1 cour to make use of, I didn't read the manga but I can tell it's damn draggy.

Naw man, it's all about the journey.

Screw that. Nisekoi, Infinite Stratos, To-LOVE-Ru, Asterisk War, they're all the same. The journey is so hackneyed now that they're all just a pathetic way of the writers saying that they can't make an interesting relationship. For all its narrative failings, SAO didn't waste your time teasing a relationship that didn't get off the ground until the end. You either go all the way or you go the home!

Screw that. Nisekoi, Infinite Stratos, To-LOVE-Ru, Asterisk War, they're all the same. The journey is so hackneyed now that they're all just a pathetic way of the writers saying that they can't make an interesting relationship. For all its narrative failings, SAO didn't waste your time teasing a relationship that didn't get off the ground until the end. You either go all the way or you go the home!

Even To Love Ru has a better caricature of relationships forming then SAO

JulianImp

Something something 16.5 huehueuhe.

Frankly put, not having harem hijinx didn't protect it from nerfing Asuna into little more than Kirito's loving wife after a short while, though. And it still managed to have harem stuff with the MC's sister and ASADA-SAN because why the hell not.

SAO was a less lampshaded version of Sakamoto, IMO. Perfect awesome MC who gets surrounded by people who love him and is constantly being the only one up to the task of saving the day is meh as hell. I get that most shounen-ish stories do this to some degree (otherwise we'd have some random archmage beating the evil god while our heroes are still struggling against rats), but making Kirito into the guy randomly chosen by the SAO guy to have some broken ability, and then using admin privileges to hijack the bad guy in ALO, and then being the only one who ever did anything about Desu Gan in GGO meant the show was like "yawn, there goes Kirito being awesome and saving the day... again" all the time. The only reason Asuna got an arc to call her own in Mother's Rosario was because Kirito didn't go all out on purpose to give her a chance, FFS.

I'm sorry, Kiribread.

Aki-at

Welcome to the NHK - 10

Sato thinks he's going to a dream vacation with his sempai whilst she's taking him to what I can presume is going to be a
suicide camp.
The guy has no luck.

Kuma Miko - 7

This is fine, I'm okay with the events currently unfolding.

More of a chilled and relaxing episode overall.

duckroll

Did you figure what was the deal with Nikolai and Alexei? Because I sure as hell didn't.

I think that was probably the most poorly plotted part of the entire film. I sort of "got" what was going on, but it wasn't presented well and ultimately felt like having a twist for the sake of a twist and acting like a diversion that overcomplicates the first act.

Basically Alexei and Nikolai are first who discovered Victor's book together, and whatever they found in there drove Alexei to liberate the corpses in Russia and break away into his own little hidden nation. There was never any threat to the world at large, but Nikolai pretended to be an agent just to lead Watson to Alexei so he could pass on the mission of destroying the book to him before implanted himself and Nikolai with an altered consciousness to live on as a living corpses no longer aware of the horrors they have witnessed before. Or something like that.

It's just... poorly plotted. So is everything with regards to M. Lol.

Kirito and Asuna would have been tolerable had Asuna not been reduced to a damsel in distress in the show's second half.

Man, every time I think about SAO I think of all the other cooler ways it could have gone down.

Like if the villain in the second half was an evil artificial intelligence a la GLaDOS/HAL. Seriously, it's cyberspace, how do you not use that opportunity?

Jintor

we should put our money where our mouth is and write a better trapped in an mmo anime

right after the tag anime, the pillow fighting anime, and the other ones

Crocodile

Now, that I am almost done watching Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino special, was wondering what anime should I watch next from the list below. Want to get them done this year but which to watch.

Golgo 13
Godnannar
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

LOTS of fanservice but I really liked this show. Good mecha action and good cast. I have no idea if that's up your alley though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Stuck in EVE.

It's a space economic/political drama.

Clov

Sterok

Joker Game 7

I'm confused. Is our spy of the day her husband who went to Japan, got plastic surgery, went through more spy training, and somehow met up with her? Or something?

Cornbread78

I love me some quality SAO talk up in here.

For all the dismissive comments about Kirito x Asuna, he is spot on with his comments in that despite the time gap that we didn't see their relationship at all, they moved the relationship is a really positive direction and had them paired up the entire time. There really was no harem hijinks embedded into the story, just harem teases despite there only being 1 true love story..

Oh, as a side note about Kirito's reaction to Kayaba's actions in SAO. There is a direct comment about his actual stance about it in the Vita game "Last Song" It basically said that he appreciated the technology that Kayaba created, but cannot forgiving or condone those actions that led to the deaths or so many. It was interesting to see that mixed in with all the non-canon story of the game.

OK, back to Uncharted 4.

I dunno why you would think SAO would get credit for doing relationships right when it outright skips any of the actual relationship and just goes from point a -> e. The most important part was skipped.

jman2050

Pupipo 1-15

A 3-minute show about a girl who can see ghosts, her new occult-obsessed friend, and the pink puffball ghost they meet that helps them deal with them.

Pretty cute and quite haunting at times, had fun watching it, Azuma is 10/10 would
watch her die
again.

So in the end it's basically Clannad with a hint of Ghostbusters except unlike Clannad the ending is good and not terrible and unearned.

JulianImp

That's why I really dislike that arc.

That was only part of it for me. The whole Suguha subplot was also a pretty big strike against the ALO part for me. Oh, and the whole "Yui + idclip" part when the show actually wanted to rush Kirito to the end of the final dungeon so he could fight Mr. Evil Rapist NTR Admin Guy and save his beloved and absolutely helpless Asuna.

I felt like the show could've done some great things with its plot, setting and characters, but it just kept making the wrong choices when it came to all those things, resulting in a boring mess where everything was meant to accenctuate just how cool, smart, lovely and special Kirito was. Asuna started out decently, the SAO "trapped in an MMO" plot could've also been interesting, the ALO world with all the fae tribes vying for power could've been good, and I guess even GGO could've been okay if only it hadn't been focused on a mystery where the lack of side characters meant the bad guy either had to be a giant space flea from nowhere... or Sinon's friend.

I still remember the revival crystal in SAO that seemed like an obvious case of chekov's gun, but then it was somehow erased from existance after Kirito handed it over to Klein... like, we could've gotten some side story or remark from Klein using it to save someone during his travels, or he could've even used it to help Kirito during the final battle, for crying out loud. But no, the revival crystal that Kirito threw away because it could only revive people who had died a couple seconds ago was forgotten forever because reasons.

I'd be down for AnimeGAF Screenwriting Collab!

Funny enough right now I'm watching a Sword Art Online: Lost Song Let's Play.

Kirito is literally made out of tubes, the guy is so skinny

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kirito is literally made out of tubes, the guy is so skinny

Did someone say tube people?
CY0duPkUAAABEJt.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom