• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

TKoD2q6.jpg

Stage 1.
Pretty sure that's Stage 3.

Clov

I actually really liked 3.33 being a big fan of Kaworu and all. I still like manga Kaworu best though.

Kaworu was the second best thing about 3.33, the best thing being Gendo's new glasses.

While I did like the way that they showed Kaworu and Shinji's relationship in the film, everything else was just a big confusing mess. Like Shinji, we're just tossed into the movie with no understanding of what's happening, and why things are the way they are. It never gets cleared up either. Even if that was what Anno intended, it doesn't make the film interesting or enjoyable. Even the final two NGE episodes that are so polarizing at least give the viewer an idea of what's happening (even if it is a vague idea). At least the film's OST was great!

Guess I need to watch the Rebuilds again because I remember 3.33 being the only interesting film of the three; the first two being neutered retreads of NGE until the very end of 2.22. A much too protracted and ambiguous lead-in to the turn. Like, watching 1.11 and 2.22 had me thinking "is the goal really to just streamline NGE and make it worse?" and then 3.33 hit and it was like "Oh, here we go." Of course that doesn't preclude 3.33 being inscrutable and ineffectual.

Guess I need to watch the Rebuilds again because I remember 3.33 being the only interesting film of the three; the first two being neutered retreads of NGE until the very end of 2.22. A much too protracted and ambiguous lead-in to the turn. Like, watching 1.11 and 2.22 had me thinking "is the goal really to just streamline NGE and make it worse?" and then 3.33 hit and it was like "Oh, here we go." Of course that doesn't preclude 3.33 being inscrutable and ineffectual.

3.33 is definitely the most interesting of the three Rebuild films, but...

Cornbread78

Guilty Crown ep.7-8
rBfCMgr.jpg

(Mom, I swear, it's not what it looks like!)

Still introducing new players into the show such as the hot student council pres., who will be Gai's love interest moving forward, since I guess he has had enough of Inori. I guess that leaves Shu to pick up the sloppy seconds later. Also, it looks like we might have a little love triangle building up with Shu's childhood friend and Inori.

Either way, it's still pretty entertaining, but there is a lot more to come for sure!

JulianImp

God that Senjougahara nendo.

You've only begun caring about Hanekawa after Kizu? which is something I'm assuming you've started reading relatively recently - Nekomonogatari Shiro dude, that was an amazing arc. As much of a Senjougahara fan I am, I have to give credit where it's due.

Well, it's just that I liked her as a side character, but Kizu having only the two of them and explaining how they got to know each other made me appreciate her a whole lot more.

Also, Gahara has
staple-pattern underwear.

to be fair in the 2nd light novel the author out right apologizes for the fact that kirito is involved with every girl because he doesn't have the ability to write interesting stories with those females without involving kirito :p

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is an example of poor writing. Of course I can't say I'd do it better myself, but black hole characters are bad precisely because they suck out the agency and relevance of everybody else. Like someone else said, Kirito showing up to help during Mother's Rosario arc was downright stupid, since it took the decent amount of agency Asuna had during that arc and threw it out of the window with "You thought a chracter could accomplish something without Kirigod? Hell no, here he comes to save the day out of nowhere!".

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.7
hqE9nJh.jpg

Well, looks like our pair has been forced to shack up with one another in their own new mansion by the crazy guy above. It was actually a pretty good episode focused solely on the relationship development between Rokuro and Benio. Even the battle towards the end with the kagare was focused on their partnership. There was also pretty good comedy built into the episode, as well as the standard mood whiplash at the very end, that has become almost a trademark between these two.

Good stuff.

Jintor

does anyone know of a good analysis blog for k-on especially s2? I've been having some thoughts as I rewatch it, and I figure since I'm probably going to be rewatching it a lot since I'm trying to basically transcribe the dialogue for listening practice, I may as well write some thoughts on it as I go again... and again... and again.

I'm sure it's been done before though...

3.33 is definitely the most interesting of the three Rebuild films, but...

The fact that I don't remember it well, despite remembering NGE and EoE in detail, is probably somewhat damning. I'd like to give it another shot at some point though. Ideally I'd have re-watched them in the lead-up to the next film but who knows where that is! Not even Anno, apparently.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Wait, what? Nendoroid also has pantsu!? Mindblown.

Personal experience regarding figure pantsu, I don't know why, when i put my Alice (from SMT) figure on my working desk, the first thing my co-worker did is to check if she's wearing any pantsu. I was like, bruh!

You can't wait but Anno sure can. He's doing Shin Godzilla first because he has writer's block on Eva! Lol.
:(

Anno's got this shit planned out.
I honestly think if Anno can't end it with 4.44, he might add another sequel, 5.55, then 6.66 because symbolism!

Kyuur

I do think it was a mistake to just make this 13 episodes. I mean, i'd probably be more fine if they came out and said that they were gonna adapt more, but still.

The producers must be crazy if it's not going to get another season. Leaving room for an infinite run (one cour every year) is the only reason I can accept for the pacing. Assuming this ends at (manga arc name spoilers)
the end of the Unforeseen Simulation Joint arc
, a second cour could feasibly consist of
only the Sports Festival, maybe plus Stain if they pace a bit faster.

Also im really sad someone recommended the show erased to me. The first episode managed to get my attention but im not typically someone who is into these kinda shows...

What kind of shows are you into? Erased is kind of the defacto best anime of last season, so it's easy to see why they would recommend.

We need more slow stuff like Grimgar yes plz Season 2 when

Did you try flying witch? Mind I only watched the first episode, but it had the same kind of pacing. Different subject matter though.

Evangelion 3.33

So, I finally got around to 3.33....

fuck.

Evangelion 3.33 is bad. It's...real bad. When people say they're not looking forward to the next movie...I get it now.

FUUUUUCK.

I wouldn't say it's bad. It kind of sits in a fuzzy spot the same way the middle of the original series does with me. Sort of weird and unmemorable.

Sansha Sanyou 2

The most interesting thing about this show is that it animates the cats on ones, which combined with their stylized design and how they all look the same except with different colors makes them appear to be invaders from another planet.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
KyoAni is so weird. They don't award prizes yet still make shows based on stories they have deemed bad.

duckroll

KyoAni is so weird. They don't award prizes yet still make shows based on stories they have deemed bad.

I don't think they deem them "bad" so much as "not good enough". Judging from the overall quality of anime in general, and what is popular, I think they are right in thinking that things which are not good enough by some standard can still be commercially successful!

Mendrox

My Hero Academia will do the same that almost every Shounen series does at the moment:

- short season (13 or 24/26 episodes)
- break for about a year
- new season

NO FUCKING FILLERS! \o/

I love that way more than seeing fillers or horrible pace. My Hero Academia just has the One Piece syndrom with too much happening in one chapter. Which isn't bad and gives them even more to animate easily.

Jintor

Looks like there were no winners at the 7th Kyoto Animation Awards:
http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/kyoani_award/7th/

They seem to have added a new 'nice try' category since nobody actually won though :p

BwM8yO.gif

Must be really bad. The lack of quality submissions to their contest is probably one reason why we've seen KyoAni move recently to picking up properties from other publishers to adapt with Euphonium and Silent Voice.

so you're saying an AnimeGAF original production has a chance

Jintor

nearly wrapped on my first k-on!! rewatch but I forget the chronology for the ending.

Is it ep 22, 25, 23, 26(OVA), Movie, 24 (Finale)? Or better to just watch s2 and end with the movie?

Well, it must be worse than Beyond the Boundary and Chuunibyou since those won honorable mentions.

Welp.

Must be really bad. The lack of quality submissions to their contest is probably one reason why we've seen KyoAni move recently to picking up properties from other publishers to adapt with Euphonium and Silent Voice.

Good point. Outside of Violet Evergarden it doesn't seem they have any choice but to continue in that direction, which I have no complaints about.

tuffy

nearly wrapped on my first k-on!! rewatch but I forget the chronology for the ending.

Is it ep 22, 25, 23, 26(OVA), Movie, 24 (Finale)? Or better to just watch s2 and end with the movie?
Watching S2 (1-24 then OVAs) and finishing with the movie works better - and how it would've been seen originally.

Twin Star Exorcists Episode 7 – A New Trial - Unbelievable Game

Okay the stuff in the place they moved into was very interesting and a great expansion of the move in from the manga. I did laugh quite a bit at some of the moments with them feeling embarrassed and getting all red faced lol.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 15

In which Haa goes full cute. Somebody feed the poor baby. Or is she a toddler now? Of course Katsuhira sees her running about. But this time she's not the only one. Too bad she's still the crazy one. I have my suspicions on where they're going with her. I guess this is going to become the school's 8th mystery or something. Not sure if alien or dragon is the best form. Sweet, Topaz again. The enemies get some crucial intelligence. Moral of the story, feed the kids or they'll stuff themselves, go on a sugar rush, and make a mess around town.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Looks like there were no winners at the 7th Kyoto Animation Awards:
http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/kyoani_award/7th/

They seem to have added a new 'nice try' category since nobody actually won though :p

Violet Evergarden won the grand prize in the 5th one:
http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/kyoani_award/5th/

Only one who's won that though, otherwise there's been some honorable mentions winners.

How bad are the entries they get that there aren't even any encouragement awards given?
Only 1 author manage to win grandprize. Damn, Kyoani award judges must be tough nut to crack. On the other hand, Chuunibyou, Musaigen, and Kyoukai no Kanata manage to win a honorable award, so i'm not really sure if the other participant is actually good or not. Ultimategax said he read some of the novel that got released, and he said it's not as good as regular novel, so yeah...

Kyuur

Oh my, it looks like your autocorrect made a mistake when you were trying to write Rakugo.

Having only watched the first episode, it was quite good, but the performances within the show were not really entertaining or intriguing. I should give the second episode a shot one of these days though.

That being said, Erased is definitely the more popular choice across the web. But I guess SAO was during its airtime too.

NO FUCKING FILLERS! \o/

I love that way more than seeing fillers or horrible pace. My Hero Academia just has the One Piece syndrom with too much happening in one chapter. Which isn't bad and gives them even more to animate easily.

Yeah, I agree, the new structure is much better than what they did with 'classic' Jump series. I kind of wish they would start doing that with One Piece too :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom