• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Anno and Khara oversaw and animated a bunch of shorts for Animator Expo; that's something new. (Even if it also had several obligatory Eva shorts.)

I'm aware but I still feel there was a lot of interesting content that could have been made instead of more Eva retreads. Opportunity costs and all that.

duckroll

I'm aware but I still feel there was a lot of interesting content that could have been made instead of more Eva retreads. Opportunity costs and all that.

I agree, but I also think that considering Anno set up Khara solely to produce more Eva shit entirely under his ownership instead of Gainax, well, that's probably what they're mainly going to be doing!

Finished Pokemon XY. Now I need to get through XY: Kalos Quest and then finally start XYZ.

Damn that was a really good season. I wish Kalos Quest was on Netflix or Hulu or on some streaming service. Nearly $90 for the entire season on iTunes, yeesh.

Tuck

Bungou Stray Dogs - 7
This was awful.

Theres no build up. No sense of threat, tension or consequence. Nothing matters. This whole arc was stupid. Nothing meaningful happened. What did happen had no impact.

Yeah, I think I'm done.

Dropped.

EDIT: Oh it was anime original material? Well that explains it. Even so, i dunno if I'll keep watching.

sonicmj1

First impressions of Harmony

The most nihilistic, misanthropic, pessimistic piece of fiction I may have ever experienced.

I need a hug or a tub of ice cream.

Clov

First impressions of Harmony

The most nihilistic, misanthropic, pessimistic piece of fiction I may have ever experienced.

I need a hug or a tub of ice cream.

It's definitely one of the most bleak anime I've watched, though I still think Texhnolyze takes the cake. Either way, I won't be forgetting Harmony anytime soon.

Netoge 6
I was kind of expecting that sort of reasoning when she said no, glad it was sorted out after the credits and not dragged into the next episode.

netogam_episode_6_image_28.jpg

duckroll

It's definitely one of the most bleak anime I've watched, though I still think Texhnolyze takes the cake. Either way, I won't be forgetting Harmony anytime soon.

Friend, have you watched Belladonna of Sadness or Midori? Pro-tip, if you haven't watched Midori, don't watch Midori. :)

Cornbread78

Guilty Crown ep.9-11
Ok, I'm just going to bitch about episode 11 here; fuck this shit man, wtf.

That episode was awesome starting with Shu finally growing up and getting help from his friends by admitting who he is and what he wants, then taking action on it. That whole part was incredibly well done. Then..... the
charge to the airport to save Gai and Inori. The song in the background was awesome and really fit the theme of what both Inori and Shu were feeling at that moment and she was helping everyone. Then, once he arrives after his heroic charge to get to her, she is taken to another dimension by some random person (couldn't tell if it was a boy or girl), disappears and Gai dies right after. So, we are getting rid of all the good characters all at once and destroying the relationship/character development that you just went through?
legit pissed off atm. Kinda laughing at myself because I'm actually pissed to. They fucked with the wrong ship man. Now we are going to have to deal with that childhood friend lose trying to get a piece... wait, let me guess. Shu is going to try and be the boss now, isn't he? Ugghh.

Aki-at

Noragami - 1

Well that was a lot of fun, good humour mixed with action. Excited to see more.

Welcome to the NHK - 13

Sato being so eager to prove himself with the suicide group for senpai's sake and Masaki's "inspirational" speech was great (And damn are both women really bad on Sato's mental well being haha)

K-ON!! 13

This is the show at its best: indulging in relaxed scenes of hanging out with a sustained tone and touches of a contemplative atmosphere. It's a far cry from the generic 4-koma nature of much of the first season. The bits of surrealism with the dream sequences were welcome as well. It's clever how the episode used the state of Azusa's tan as a visual cue for whether the scene was a dream or reality.

Jintor

K-ON!! 13

This is the show at its best: indulging in relaxed scenes of hanging out with a sustained tone and touches of a contemplative atmosphere. It's a far cry from the generic 4-koma nature of much of the first season. The bits of surrealism with the dream sequences were welcome as well. It's clever how the episode used the state of Azusa's tan as a visual cue for whether the scene was a dream or reality.

Like I said earlier, i was really impressed with the way it turned what could've been (and indeed probably began as) a series of 4koma gags for a chapter into something really meaningful to Azusa as she contemplates whether or not she's still dreaming at the end.

so what should would be as funny as prison school? I really enjoyed that show much more than I expected that I would

I have not seen Prison School since the subject matter doesn't interest me. But Tsutomu Mizushima is a pretty good comedy director in general. Of his works, I would especially recommend checking out Hare+Guu, Legend of Koizumi, Plastic Nee-san, and Joshiraku for the highest density comedies.

sonicmj1

<Harmony/>

Oof. Where do I start.

Harmony is about a society that sees the elimination of death, pain, and suffering as the highest good, and it's about someone who seeks to shake the foundations of that system, to expose the human rot underneath, barely contained by nanomachines, rules, and overwhelming social pressure. Its so-called utopia, and the presentation of its gradual unraveling, show mankind at its worst: scared, violent, hypocritical, and false. It's an unrelentingly bleak movie.

The movie works because of its commitment to presenting the harshness of this supposedly kind world, through the lens of its rebellious protagonist, Tuan. The setting is one of washed-out colors and harsh sounds. Japan, the center of this new world order, feels almost claustrophobic at times, the camera taking full advantage of the freedom of CG to constantly hover and rotate, never at ease. The white skyscrapers of this sterile metropolis are covered with a spiderweb of sickly pinkish-red lines. The visual parallels to human biology couldn't be clearer. Her nostalgic memories of her school days, learning about suicide and destruction at the feet of the charismatic, brilliant Mihie, come in somewhat out of focus, like through a poorly calibrated CRT. Nothing is right.

As her search for the truth takes her further away from Japan, the palette opens up a little and the camera stabilizes, but the mood never lightens for a moment. It only probes deeper into questions of what it means to be human, to attempt to grapple with man's enormous capacity for evil and for stupidity, to make your own decisions, as the body count mounts and the blood flows. Painfully long sections are devoted to the demonstration of human misery.

It's a powerful work, consistent, confident, and crushing in its vision. The writing also impresses. Loaded as it is with long passages of exposition or philosophizing, it never loses sight of its characters or their perspectives. None of these questions feel empty. Mihie is a strongly-presented intelligent character. She's well-read, but that shows through her understanding and synthesis of the ideas underneath what she reads, not her ability to recall quotations.

(One could say that this movie is what Psycho-Pass should have been, if it were both well-written and actually interested in being speculative science fiction instead of some sort of empty pulp thriller. But then again, at that point you're comparing it with an entirely different experience.)

I'd recommend it, but know what you're getting into. I don't know what I'd have done with the rest of my evening if I didn't have access to ice cream.

Just avoid the English dub if you can. Monica Rial's voice doesn't fit right for Mihie. It doesn't ruin the movie, but it was noticeably distracting.

Meesh

So... Anime!

Looking for good stoties without all that embarrassing fanservacey stuff...

Where do it sit these days? Anything good??

Dresden

Harmony -

I don't get why the watchme software--and all its related technologies--wouldn't be drugging the shit out of their patients. Apparently technology has advanced enough in this setting to allow the existence of what is effectively a
global killswitch
(reliant on such a thorough understanding of the brain that they feel free to science the shit out of it), but not enough to detect emotional unrest, and to opiate the hell out of their hosts.

I guess what's so dissatisfying about this is that it seems like an omission made only to make the threat of Harmony feel tangible. Its horror is
the enforced loss of consciousness, or free will
; but the technology of the setting should already have made it a thing. Instead there's this odd gray area, a hinterlands, if you will, where medical technology is both pervasive and intrusive enough to diagnose and record both the trauma and the incident of suicides, but not quite enough to go a little deeper. This is something that can't be put down to some moral hesitation against intrusions into the mind; the existence of the plot device that brings about the movie's conclusion is proof of such lack. The despair at the heart of this movie isn't about free will, really. It's that you can always justify bad writing by
raping
your female characters.

duckroll

I was going to write a defence against all that crap dresden just wrote, but instead, I will take the low road and just go...

Ban him!!!!!

Cornbread78

So... Anime!

Looking for good stoties without all that embarrassing fanservacey stuff...

Where do it sit these days? Anything good??

Clannad / Clannad After Story
Barakamon
Erased
Snow White with Red Hair
Kanon (2006)
Air
Little Busters
Cross Game
Fate/Zero
Full Moon Wo Sagashite
Golden Time
Spice and Wolf
Honey and Clover
Essentric Familk
Kyousougiga
Looking Up at the Half Moon
Usagi Drop
Itazura na Kiss
Mononoke

There's more in every genre, but here is a start...

Meesh

Clannad / Clannad After Story
Barakamon
Erased
Snow White with Red Hair
Kanon (2006)
Air
Little Busters
Cross Game
Fate/Zero
Full Moon Wo Sagashite
Golden Time
Spice and Wolf
Honey and Clover
Essentric Familk
Kyousougiga
Looking Up at the Half Moon
Usagi Drop
Itazura na Kiss
Mononoke

There's more in every genre, but here is a start...
Thank you so much, I'll gladly look those up!! Honestly I'm one of those anime lovers of the "not anorexialy thin" anime types, so if that applies to any of these it's a +1! (Incidentally anime 80s babes were best)

sonicmj1

Harmony -

I don't get why the watchme software--and all its related technologies--wouldn't be drugging the shit out of their patients. Apparently technology has advanced enough in this setting to allow the existence of what is effectively a
global killswitch
(reliant on such a thorough understanding of the brain that they feel free to science the shit out of it), but not enough to detect emotional unrest, and to opiate the hell out of their hosts.

I guess what's so dissatisfying about this is that it seems like an omission made only to make the threat of Harmony feel tangible. Its horror is
the enforced loss of consciousness, or free will
; but the technology of the setting should already have made it a thing. Instead there's this odd gray area, a hinterlands, if you will, where medical technology is both pervasive and intrusive enough to diagnose and record both the trauma and the incident of suicides, but not quite enough to go a little deeper. This is something that can't be put down to some moral hesitation against intrusions into the mind; the existence of the plot device that brings about the movie's conclusion is proof of such lack. The despair at the heart of this movie isn't about free will, really. It's that you can always justify bad writing by
raping
your female characters.

But all this plumbing the depths of the mind is at the cutting edge of technology. Hence
Tuan's dad being pushed out because of his paper about messing with the mind
. It wasn't something that was possible when the technology was first invented decades earlier. Similarly, the organization doing this stuff can't exist openly, because what they're doing is considered beyond the bounds of responsible science by society.

I think it made sense for society to exist in that "hinterland", since the main conflict is basically progress down that slippery slope. You can definitely poke some holes in the world-building if you want (why do the AR contact lenses have your name in the upper right corner oh my god that would be infuriating), but it was solid enough for me to convey what it was going for.

Dresden

But all this plumbing the depths of the mind is at the cutting edge of technology. Hence
Tuan's dad being pushed out because of his paper about messing with the mind
. It wasn't something that was possible when the technology was first invented decades earlier. Similarly, the organization doing this stuff can't exist openly, because what they're doing is considered beyond the bounds of responsible science by society.

I don't think the technology itself (the one provided by
Tuan's father
) is what's necessary, merely that it reflects their attitude regarding what they can and can't do. And in this case, the conclusion is so absolute that it makes clear they have no taboos whatsoever.

I think it made sense for society to exist in that "hinterland", since the main conflict is basically progress down that slippery slope.

I think my disagreement with the thread's general consensus basically boils down to that, really--I just don't think it's possible for such a setting to exist in that in-between. That a society could be so pervasive and intrusive except in this one area. The ending just feels like it should have been set and completed a few minutes in. The horror was already present in the pool. Instead there needed to be a nuke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom