• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 END
"The Sigh of Suzumiya Haruhi Arc"
jU85pFd.gif

Watching the movie creation for the cultural festival was fun and included some of the same quirkiness from season 1 but poor Mikuru dealt with a brunt of it herself. That scene with Kyon amost
punching Haruhi in the face
didn't fit his character at all, but you could see it coming for a while. Even after that, they continued to debate who exactly Haruhi was and how she was able to manipulate the world around her, but..... Why is there is no conclusion to the series after season 2? Season 1 had that crazy ending and stuff was starting being explained and fleshed out, but there is no carry over to the story or any progress to Kyon x Haruhi (yeah, I expected this part, but...). I would have thought more would have been addressed in the end, however, it was left ambiguous as usual. Does the movie further the story, or does it just continue the SoL nature of the show?

Theonik

Mayoiga 01-07
This show is really entertaining as long as you set your expectations appropriately. It's pretty dumb all things considered, and Okada's writing style is very apparent here but where the show succeeds is in how Mizushima directs Okada's style in a way that seems intentional and driven.

In principle this is a horror mystery, but actually what it's about is a horror parody starring a bunch of insane people. This is truly a show that is more than the sum of its parts I feel and while it's not for everyone I feel that people who might be into this kind of show will not be disappointed by what they find.

Samurai Champloo 11

The tone of the very opening cued me in that this episode would be to my tastes, and I was right. Aside from the couple of scenes without Jin, whose more frivolous tone sat uneasily with the rest, I really enjoyed this. The tragic love story was well done from the moment of meeting on the bridge to the final parting at the river. The sexual edge was characteristic of Sayo Yamamoto, but she handles it better here than in some of her other works. Jin's inexpressive voice acting really fit with the subdued, downcast mood of this story as well. Just the kind of atmosphere and storytelling that really appeals to me.

Mayoiga 01-07

This show is really entertaining as long as you set your expectations appropriately. It's pretty dumb all things considered, and Okada's writing style is very apparent here but where the show succeeds is in how Mizushima directs Okada's style in a way that seems intentional and driven.

In principle this is a horror mystery, but actually what it's about is a horror parody starring a bunch of insane people. This is truly a show that is more than the sum of its parts I feel and while it's not for everyone I feel that people who might be into this kind of show will not be disappointed by what they find.

I know the illogical melodrama fits in with some of Okada's other work, but I've always seen this as more a further development of the pure black comedy vein of Mizushima's oeuvre than anything else.

Theonik

I know the illogical melodrama fits in with some of Okada's other work, but I've always seen this as more a further development of the pure black comedy vein of Mizushima's oeuvre than anything else.
It's both. It's clear that Mizushima is directing Okada, but elements of Okada's style are still there. You can see elements of both.

Clov

The Studio Ghibli co-produced film, The Red Turtle, has been picked up by Sony Pictures Classics for North America. It looks very good! I'm curious about how much Studio Ghibli animated, and how much was done in France.

blurr

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 END
"The Sigh of Suzumiya Haruhi Arc"
jU85pFd.gif

Watching the movie creation for the cultural festival was fun and included some of the same quirkiness from season 1 but poor Mikuru dealt with a brunt of it herself. That scene with Kyon amost
punching Haruhi in the face
didn't fit his character at all, but you could see it coming for a while. Even after that, they continued to debate who exactly Haruhi was and how she was able to manipulate the world around her, but..... Why is there is no conclusion to the series after season 2? Season 1 had that crazy ending and stuff was starting being explained and fleshed out, but there is no carry over to the story or any progress to Kyon x Haruhi (yeah, I expected this part, but...). I would have thought more would have been addressed in the end, however, it was left ambiguous as usual. Does the movie further the story, or does it just continue the SoL nature of the show?

Season 2 is an odd one, it adds to the story a bit but then leaves us confused and/or frustrated over other things but for most of the part, it's the usual SOS club silliness. They have not adapted all of the books, this I can say.

I'll also say that you shouldn't worry too much about having a conclusion, there's no way to put an end to something at this scale(I say scale because of what Haruhi's and the other member's backgrounds and capabilities are) without taking a lot of time and exposition for every/most detail(s) or they'll just end up making a mess out of it. Just have fun watching it.

Ultimately it's an on-going ordeal to deal with Haruhi and understand her as far as the anime is concerned at least; I don't know if the source material came to a conclusion (I'd be surprised if that were the case).

Movie is kind of different from the TV show, just watch it!

The Studio Ghibli co-produced film, The Red Turtle, has been picked up by Sony Pictures Classics for North America. It looks very good! I'm curious about how much Studio Ghibli animated, and how much was done in France.

Ghibli just produced it, with Takahata in particular in a supervisory role. I know the director traveled to Japan for a bit to spend time at Ghibli. I don't believe any of the actual animation was done at Ghibli or in Japan though.

I am really looking forward to this film, especially knowing it's wordless. It got a good reception when it premiered at Cannes just recently.

duckroll

Isn't it likely that it was 100% done in France and that Studio Ghibli's involvement is in co-funding and marketing/distributing it in Japan? I'm not certain that's the case but it seems like a likely situation to me.

Clov

Ghibli just produced it, with Takahata in particular in a supervisory role. I know the director traveled to Japan for a bit to spend time at Ghibli. I don't believe any of the actual animation was done at Ghibli or in Japan though.

I am really looking forward to this film, especially knowing it's wordless. It got a good reception when it premiered at Cannes just recently.

Isn't it likely that it was 100% done in France and that Studio Ghibli's involvement is in co-funding and marketing/distributing it in Japan? I'm not certain that's the case but it seems like a likely situation to me.

Ah, I see. I misunderstood what they meant by coproduction; I had assumed it meant that they had helped create some of the animation or provided something like backgrounds (like they had done with Ronja). Either way, I'm looking forward to giving it a watch.

Netoge 07
This episode was super funny. Like, not just in the normal harem way of ridiculousness (which it did have) but in normal comedy moments it was there too. Segawa bumping her head over and over in the car had me laughing pretty hard, I do that all the time lol

lol the first thing I thought of when I saw those Hotel computer kiosks was
this guy is going to get hacked, isn't he

Cornbread78

Nagasarete Airantou ep. 5
qZPYoIz.jpg

Pretty funny episode looking for the younger girls bear friend. The show has had a good mix for zany humor and good character interactions to keep things fun. They have really taken a step back from the harem craziness the past few episodes as they develop more of the cast.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kanberi of the Iron Fortress Episode 6:

You know what, I actually rather like Ikoma as a character as he recognizes he did some stupid shit that they need to atone for and he has an actual sense of humor. Anyway, now that we are done with the reject from Kingdom Hearts I guess we are finally getting to the capital.

Line_HTX

It's only relevant if she panics or makes a decision that doesn't make sense or berates other people because she feels pressured to be focused on her mission and isolate herself away from passengers around her.

Otherwise...

tMT9SkZ.png

Clov

Sentai/Maiden Japan's September titles have been announced. Of interest is the newer Rozen Maiden anime on BD, and Maiden Japan's release of Denno Coil's second half on BD. They also have a label called "Kraken Releasing" that's putting out a Godzilla movie.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sentai/Maiden Japan's September titles have been announced. Of interest is the newer Rozen Maiden anime on BD, and Maiden Japan's release of Denno Coil's second half on BD. They also have a label called "Kraken Releasing" that's putting out a Godzilla movie.

So Maiden Japan wants to destroy Argos, got it.

Jarmel

Banned
Kabaneri-6

This episode went in a very different direction than I thought it would. I thought it would be closer to Seraph of the End's 'trapped in a tunnel episode'. This was a much stronger climax episode than episode 4. It's amazing what a good lead will do for a show. Kinda interesting too that
Kabaneri seem to make the core of the colony Kabane
. I'm sure that'll be a plot point later.

This show as a whole is noticeably better directed than Araki's usual shows but I think it's the pacing that's really helping the show keep atrack. Sawano also put in great work this week. I'm not talking about the obvious climax song but the earlier ones like the reprisal when in the tunnel. He's at his best when he's not trying.

Sterok

Anne-Happy 7

Cursed rain.

Netoge 7

Obligatory beach episode. The Konami code got a laugh out of me. And now a new trouble to deal with, hackers.

Bokurano: Ours Episodes 1-4

Well, I can tell this is gonna be a fun ride. Full of good feels and likable characters.

The madness begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom