• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh.

Well, regardless, one thing I honestly didn't like about Season 1's ending was how there wasn't any epilogue of sorts.

I mean,
we get no explanation on what happened to the sick sister, or stuff like that, The show literally ended right after the final battle.

So I think I may be fine with that.

Danball Senki W - 39

DR. MUMMY
IS....WHAT?!?

WHAT?!?

HOW DID-

BUT THAT'S-

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?

Heh

Cabinetmaker of the Iron Fortress 06
nqrSUVi.png

They totally lost one of the rear cars! I know they won't go into it, but losing any part of the train would suck. A lot.

Nyaruko S2 03
This show is so legit. I don't even get half the references but it's still good!

/XX/

The Studio Ghibli co-produced film, The Red Turtle, has been picked up by Sony Pictures Classics for North America. It looks very good! I'm curious about how much Studio Ghibli animated, and how much was done in France.
The way I see it, this project's involvement of Studio Ghibli seemed more akin to their Ghibli Museum Library ones (including domestic distribution rights and digital disc releases) only this time they were involved since the beginning BEFORE the actual production finished. In that sense I suppose Mr. Miyazaki & Co. were interested in enabling Mr. Dudok De Wit's talent, but at the same time the studio leaves the creator assemble a close technical team while respecting the uniqueness and idiosyncrasies of their work procedures to not directly interfere with 'auteur' vision.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
it's all about the journey
I feel that this philosophy being applied to Samurai Champloo is somewhat disingenuous to just how important its final arc is; where the setting , themes, and purpose of the narrative are all very clearly laid out and justified. The identity of the samurai who smells of sunflowers is extremely important thematically to the finale's focus on self-sacrifice. Even beyond that, his place in the story instills valid purpose to why each of the main characters walked down their own path, and gives a deeper reason to why they intertwine. The entire finale is about the consequences of the journey, and how personal expectations for its end can differ so far from reality.

blurr

I feel that this philosophy being applied to Samurai Champloo is somewhat disingenuous to just how important its final arc is;
where the setting , themes, and purpose of the narrative are all very clearly laid out and justified. The identity of the samurai who smells of sunflowers is extremely important thematically to the finale's focus on self-sacrifice. Even beyond that, his place in the story instills valid purpose to why each of the main characters walked down their own path, and gives a deeper reason to why they intertwine. The entire finale is about the consequences of the journey, and how personal expectations for its end can differ so far from reality.

I partly get where you're coming from but
I have not felt the 'identity of the samurai' to be of thematic significance, at least not as strongly, maybe I didn't give it enough thought. Although I do agree that it has been the purpose of the narrative since the beginning and clearly later on as well. Somewhere along the line I just didn't care enough about the 'identity' or the conclusion and the journey mattered more to me.

Thoraxes

Seikon no Qwaser ep. 4
LOItqUA.jpg

It's been a couple weeks since I last watched an episode of this and my verdict stays the same; this show is terrible... The newest character to the cast is an evil/good goth loli that likes to call her own girl a b!tch and made her into her own personal dog.... like, WTF? I'll watch 1 episode every few weeks, but this is trash to the max...

Season 2 is EVEN BETTER.

Such a good show.

White Album ep.19-21
I can't believe I'm still suffering my way through this one. Everyone is miserable 24/7, including the horny MC that still can't get with his girlfriend because he's still too busy bangin'
her manager.

Soo much useless drama..

Yeah this series is pretty bad. Don't get it. But not a bad ending. I read a comment that if you want the series to make sense you have to assume that the main character is the hottest guy in existance.

But definitely watch White Album 2 after. That series is soooooooo good. Probably my favorite romance/drama. Has references to one via the music, which you'll appreciate.

blurr

I don't mind that at all, but then I would have preferred they ditch the idea of a destination altogether instead of continually teasing us with it. It's just excess fluff if you can't follow through.

Absolutely but you should really see through Champloo to the end before saying any further in that regard. While I stopped caring about the destination at some point, I was not exactly 'disappointed' with the way it concluded.

Jintor

i remember champloo less than bebop and i think the feeling of the ending is a reason why, but for all that what I do remember, I remember fondly

pbayne

The most memorable parts of Champaloo to me were the pure bullshit/comedy episodes and the end of course. There's a hazy period around start/middle that i remember very little of.

The most interest thing about watching Champloo for me is that I can now see a clear progression in Watanabe's works from Bebop to Champloo to Dandy. Space Dandy is the wildest in terms of variety (and thus inconsistency), but you can already see Champloo moving in that direction.

Line_HTX

Limitless Phantasy World Counter-attack 02

So Haruhiko gets on a suspiciously marked bus and POOF he is gone in his own world like Reina was in that one episode.

And of course, this bus phantom shows Haruhiko's deep desires
AKA, perfect harem life ROFL
and somehow gets him to talk in a weird manner. That's not Texan dialogue, ya hear? I mean, who fucking says "Aww shucks, it totes unbearable?" SMH

Koito as usual follows Mai and Reina just because and is like don't worry, it's all just an illusion until Koito's illusion shows up going woof.

And all three of the real ones blew up the house. Kaboom.

Theonik

This doesn't have much to do with your post, but I find posts like that on Imgur etc kinda annoying. They took a series of posts from elsewhere and collated them on a different site and although they briefly mention the source they don't bother linking the original posts of the artists. Imgur has turned into a quasi-9gag in that sense though at least they don't watermark the images on top of that (yet)
\rant

He's also uploaded it on YouTube if people prefer that!

Kabaneri 06
That train drifting, I was waiting for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86PUB4u2s2A (I should start watching this)

Armored Trooper Votoms 42

Is there some sort of critical component in the eye of an AT? Chirico once again shoots an AT in the eye with a pistol, and it just falls over and explodes. That's a pretty bad design flaw, especially since it was a different type of AT this time! Who needs heavy weapons or even other ATs to fight them now?
The eye of the AT is a point where the armour is weak and the pilot resides right behind it, I suppose a bullet that penetrates the AT could also ricochet inside the AT cockpit and do additional damage. But really the reason they explode is just because 'it looks cooler' and probably 'we don't have to draw the destroyed ATs' (less continuity to worry about)

Cornbread78

Season 2 is EVEN BETTER.
Such a good show.

Lol. Yeah, we'l see about that one... very slowly.

Yeah this series is pretty bad. Don't get it. But not a bad ending. I read a comment that if you want the series to make sense you have to assume that the main character is the hottest guy in existance.
But definitely watch White Album 2 after. That series is soooooooo good. Probably my favorite romance/drama. Has references to one via the music, which you'll appreciate.

Yeah, I guess that might work since the ladies all throw themselves on him, but even his actions make no sense half the time. I mean, mostly, the tone is just horrible because everyone in the show is miserable all the time.

Luckily, I watched WA2 a long time ago and it was much better overall, but that ending... Also, I almost want to go back and watch what they said about the history of the "Song of Destiny" now, since that's the sing they remade in WA2, which Rina and Yuki both sang in WA.

Jintor

Tanaka-san 6

Huh, I guess they are in Hiroshima. The bridge/river is rather distinct

echizen is cute. but dumb.

i really like this ED. it's cute.

Anne Happy 07

I feel like this episode confirms Anne as the actual unluckiest girl of the bunch. How she ever makes it to school alive I do not know when it seems the world is actively trying to kill her even moreso than Botan.

Ascheroth

Kabaneri #6

Great episode. I was a bit annoyed last weak because of how dumb they acted, but since they actually acknowledged it was dumb and they made a mistake this episode, I'm content, as long as they don't fuck up in the same way again.

Ikoma really is a great lead.

And the fight at the end was awesome.
Samurai guy with the Katana and Ikoma with his piledriver and the cannon and Mumei and everything... just great.

Kabaneri 6

The fusion explanation is lazy as fuck. Like it doesn't make sense to me that they can just make mecha-sheeva and all of a sudden they're powered together.

They can't though.
The core was a Kabaneri.

Kabaneri 06

That train drifting, I was waiting for it.
Amazing.

Line_HTX

don't spoil duckroll

Is this the actual name of the show or did you just make it up?

It's the Blu-ray specials. The Phantasy word was me inserting it like I did with the regular Phantom World episodes, lol. The other special wasn't anything much, just Reina turning into a giant and useless trivia from Haruhiko, lol

Qurupeke

So is there gonna be a Phantom World OVA with more Reina fanservice? Just asking for a friend.

Not a properly animated OVA, it's a picture drama. The first one is pure Reina fanservice, the second is about everyone.

Unless you're referring to the extra episode, which is coming on October's BD release, I believe. Full of fanservice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom