• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netoge 7

If this is going where I think it's going, it's going to be incredibly stupid. I can think of some ridiculous grimdark scenarios to come out of it, but they probably won't go that route.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
lol wat:

https://imgur.com/gallery/mGmXI

AmZMSzf.jpg
oINZaby.jpg

To be fair though, unlike other lame recaps, this one was done in a unique manner.

That's why I called it a "stealth" recap, in that the opening of the episode makes it seem like you're going to get a regular episode and then bam! suddenly you're watching a collection of reused footage. This episode didn't do enough in its own right to justify its existence. I appreciate the necessity of recaps to allow the animation team more time to catch up with what needs to air, but I wish they wouldn't include these recap episodes as part of the normal episode numbering and at least put them away in the special features section of the disc releases.

That's why I called it a "stealth" recap, in that the opening of the episode makes it seem like you're going to get a regular episode and then bam! suddenly you're watching a collection of reused footage. This episode didn't do enough in its own right to justify its existence. I appreciate the necessity of recaps to allow the animation team more time to catch up with what needs to air, but I wish they wouldn't include these recap episodes as part of the normal episode numbering and at least put them away in the special features section of the disc releases.

I hate it when shows do this.

I remember when this happened in GaoGaiGar where a character literally started watching recap footage of the show in the middle of the episode.

Kabaneri - 06

The beginning had me thinking we'd get a calmer episode but it turned into some action climax. The episode's structure felt rather messy. Scenes didn't transition well into each other and there's a whole lot of smaller bits left out. How the crew decided to search for Ikoma and Mumei after all and managed to do so when the black smoke was still around or at least an immediate, possible risk. How did the rescue crew + rescued get up to the train? You can come up with an explanation for those easily but it simply should've been shown quickly. Pacing felt rushed, probably because they wanted to action sequence at the end to fit.

However, that pacing made this black smoke monster, or kabaneri colony lose its dread and mystery. "Oh yeh now it's conveniently going to gobble up some kabaneri corpses, just until we've got everything planned out. Also conveniently, Mumei knows about this thing and all we gotta do is shoot its glowing weakspot once with this sweet canon we've got now and have Mumei deal the finishing blow."

That colony kabane is kinda stretching my suspense of disbelief thin, even if I take the general setting for granted, but whatever. It's weird though that at least some of the kabane are actually alive once separated from the entire thing. Well, more on all that soon I suppose. The way it was shot it could be that Mumei knew that kabane inside.

On an actual positive note, I really liked this shot:

Wish it would line up better with the previous shot and stabbing action but that was still pretty neat.

Jarmel

Banned
Kabaneri - 06
Scenes didn't transition well into each other and there's a whole lot of smaller bits left out. How the crew decided to search for Ikoma and Mumei after all and managed to do so when the black smoke was still around or at least an immediate, possible risk. How did the rescue crew + rescued get up to the train? You can come up with an explanation for those easily but it simply should've been shown quickly. Pacing felt rushed, probably because they wanted to action sequence at the end to fit.

Yea I disagree with this part as not everything needs to be shown. The whole logistics of the rescue in all reality wouldn't make any sense due to the time frame needed so if they wanted to maintain any sort of tension, using timeskips and cuts to maintain the illusion of a small time window was the correct decision. It also wouldn't really serve any sort of thematic point.

However, that pacing made this black smoke monster, or kabaneri colony lose its dread and mystery. "Oh yeh now it's conveniently going to gobble up some kabaneri corpses, just until we've got everything planned out. Also conveniently, Mumei knows about this thing and all we gotta do is shoot its glowing weakspot once with this sweet canon we've got now and have Mumei deal the finishing blow."

She is the expert on all of this, if anybody would know it would be her. I mean she's literally part of an anti-Kabane death squad.

^
It still felt disjointed. I simply don't think the timeskips and transitions are done well here. Show us how they lower a rope or sth, that's all you need for that to work better.

That Mumei is the expert is nice and all. The problem is that within one episode that colony kabaneri is introduced and annihilated. Takes away from it.

Jarmel

Banned
^
It still felt disjointed. I simply don't think the timeskips and transitions are done well here. Show us how they lower a rope or sth, that's all you need for that to work better.

That Mumei is the expert is nice and all. The problem is that within one episode that colony kabaneri is introduced and annihilated. Takes away from it.

Well in the case of showing the lowering of the rope, that was supposed to be a surprise. Showing them arriving would defeat that purpose.

I don't think the Titan was intended to be a serious obstacle in the sense they would spend multiple episodes on it, especially with the knowledge that there are multiple variants of them running around. The more important plot point was that
Kabaneri become the core if they become full Kabane. That makes the Kabaneri a double edged sword where if the virus progresses before someone kills them off, they have a PITA running around

Well in the case of showing the lowering of the rope, that was supposed to be a surprise. Showing them arriving would defeat that purpose.

Not then, when they get back on the train. webm of the scene in question

We're shown how the colony is moving towards them, it clearly poses an immediate threat. Then we get the train with Ikoma friend calling out to hurry up, we see one more shot of the colony moving and...yup, they're now all up on the train.

That's poorly done. The timeline is just bad and counterintuitive. The beginning would work if it were to establish an actual short chase sequence or anything, but that thing isn't even after them so why not let it appear once they've boarded the train or are in the process of doing so. A couple moments felt this weakly structured. By the way, continuity error, too. The train is actually moving away from the location they seem to look up from.

Jarmel

Banned
Not then, when they get back on the train. webm of the scene in question

We're shown how the colony is moving towards them, it clearly poses an immediate threat. Then we get the train with Ikoma friend calling out to hurry up, we see one more shot of the colony moving and...yup, they're now all up on the train.

That's poorly done. The timeline is just bad and counterintuitive. The beginning would work if it were to establish an actual short chase sequence or anything, but that thing isn't even after them so why not let it appear once they've boarded the train or are in the process of doing so. A couple moments felt this weakly structured. By the way, continuity error, too. The train is actually moving away from the location they seem to look up from.

This feels a bit nitpicky. I see what you mean as to how they climbed the slope so fast but honestly showing them lowering a rope or climbing the rocks would be a waste of however many frames it took up. As for the Titan, without knowing the base size nor the speed that it was travelling at, in that in the gif it's not exactly rushing towards them, I don't think this is a big deal.

A short chase wouldn't make sense considering the speed it can travel at when it actually wants to get something. It serves more as an impetus for everybody to shut up and move rather than being an actual threat by itself.

Netoge 7
Another great episode, Ako waiting for the best part :v

Also saw a dubbed episode. Not really a fan of this one for whatever reason but it's ok. If only Tia had dubbed Ako, then she would probably top Erina :'v

Line_HTX

Netoge 7
Another great episode, Ako waiting for the best part :v

Also saw a dubbed episode. Not really a fan of this one for whatever reason but it's ok. If only Tia had dubbed Ako, then she would probably top Erina :'v

Damnit, now I wish I told you about Harmony days earlier to see if it was showing in your area. I know you would like the dub, heh heh heh...

;)

Damnit, now I wish I told you about Harmony days earlier to see if it was showing in your area. I know you would like the dub, heh heh heh...

;)
Awww snap. Man I really need to keep an eye out for anime in cinemas. I freaking missed pt1 of monogatari now I'll probably never see it :/

Cornbread78

White Album ep.19-21
I can't believe I'm still suffering my way through this one. Everyone is miserable 24/7, including the horny MC that still can't get with his girlfriend because he's still too busy bangin'
her manager.

Soo much useless drama..

Samurai Champloo 13-14

This two-parter about Mugen's past coming back to haunt him shows just how important storyboarders are to a story's execution. Episode 13, storyboarded by Kazuyoshi Katayama (Big O), was pretty standard and somewhat dull, with bland framing and flat direction. The shots seemed chosen almost at random, with little eye for either thematic meaning or visual beauty. It wasn't terrible, but I wasn't engaged with the story and wasn't invested in Mugen or the other characters at all. Episode 14, on the other hand, storyboarded by Shinichiro Watanabe himself as well as Shukou Murase (Ergo Proxy), was striking and compelling, perhaps the best episode of the show to date. From the rain at the start of the episode, there was suddenly a strong mood which had been entirely absent in the preceding episode. The lighting and coloring were varied and creative and there was consistent attention paid to meaninfully and attractive framing of the characters. A highlight is the extended insert song sequence, which uses unconventional and surreal visual storytelling closely tied with the music to paint a portrait of Mugen's past and psyche. There was fabulous editing in that sequence, as it cut back and forth from Mugen in the water to fleeting snatches of memory. The ending scene, up to the very ending shot, was intensely powerful without needing to go overboard. Episode 14 ended up selling me on Mugen's character more than the show had ever done before.

Aki-at

Kabaneri - 06

The last bit with all the Kabane attacking was great, especially Ikoma and the samurai running down the train taking them down. Glad to see Mumei has returned to her normal self.

Clov

On July 27th, Japan will be getting a BD-box of Azumanga Daioh! It's likely just going to be an upscale, so I wouldn't expect anything fantastic, but it's neat to know at least. I wonder how long it will take Sentai to release it over here with the hold-back period it has?

Tuck

Attack on CG Zombie Titan - 6
They lost points last episode by having Ikoma hold the idiot ball and let go on the crane control to save Mumei.

But... they gain some points back for having him admit and acknowledge the mistake.

Villagers continue acting like assholes... ehhh.

Other than that, pretty fun episode.

Kabaneri 6

The fusion explanation is lazy as fuck. Like it doesn't make sense to me that they can just make mecha-sheeva and all of a sudden they're powered together.

What's far worse even, they tried to keep the train from toppling over by moving to one side (perfectly good) and...then pushing against the walls...

Disgusting! (unless the pushing was merely a translation issue, as pushing yourselves as close to the walls, which is what they did, is correct).

Cornbread78

Guilty Crown ep.12
Now that was a whole lot of anime fuckery right there as they officially close out the first season with
Gai being killed by Shu in order to kill Mana, whom is Shu's older sister?
like I said, thete were so many things thrown out there at once it was almost mind-numbing. At least
Inori was saved, but is she really human? They "created" her?
C'mon, my mind is already numb...

Samurai Champloo 15

That was much better than I expected knowing that Kazuto Nakazawa directed and wrote this. It was actually a rather amusing and clever episode, with some neat tricks such as the vase smashing sound coordinated with the mid-episode eyecatch. The whole premise of a secret policewoman manipulating Mugen to take out her enemies by promising him favors in the brothel in which she was working undercover was well handled. Maybe Nakazawa can do it if he tries (or could at one time).

On July 27th, Japan will be getting a BD-box of Azumanga Daioh! It's likely just going to be an upscale, so I wouldn't expect anything fantastic, but it's neat to know at least. I wonder how long it will take Sentai to release it over here with the hold-back period it has?

Isn't Azumanga Daioh in that mediocre early digital period? Probably no way to get a good looking BD out of that.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
It started all over the place, but the last two episodes of Joker Game have been pretty good. I'm glad I stuck with the series.

Danball Senki W - 37

Ci3cSNeUYAA8aFb.jpg:large
Ci3cvrsVAAQE2wu.jpg:large

ASJDKADHKHSKDJASKFHDSAKJSD

How do I still have 20 episodes of this? With all that's happened one would think that this is the show's endgame and it would end like the first season did at around episode 44.

Danball Senki W - 37

How do I still have 20 episodes of this? With all that's happened one would think that this is the show's endgame and it would end like the first season did at around episode 44.

Honestly Episode 42 onward feel more like it's about a post game scenario, and character designs going down the tubes. Like I think I'd be estatic if I was doing this in the game, but right now, it's more like I have more until I've beaten the show?

Honestly Episode 42 onward feel more like it's about a post game scenario.

Huh.

Well, regardless, one thing I honestly didn't like about Season 1's ending was how there wasn't any epilogue of sorts.

I mean,
we get no explanation on what happened to the sick sister, or stuff like that, The show literally ended right after the final battle.

So I think I may be fine with that.

Clov

Isn't Azumanga Daioh in that mediocre early digital period? Probably no way to get a good looking BD out of that.

Yeah, it uses those early 2000s digital inking tools that aren't so great looking. Likely the only way to get good picture quality on the BD would be if they were to recomposite the whole thing, like what was done with Gurren Lagann. Given that this is Azumanga Daioh we're talking about it's a safe bet that this won't be happening. We'll get a small improvement over the DVD at best, and a smeary mess at worst.

Danball Senki W - 38

So Kirito's been fighting Ban and the crew all this time to power up an artificial intelligence that he was planning to put inside an android of his dead girlfriend.

Yeeeeeeesh.

Soul Eater 22

Half of this episode felt like filler TBH. Didn't really contribute to anything nor was it really interesting. The ending part of the episode was neat but other than that, it was a middling episode.

Clov

Armored Trooper Votoms 42

Is there some sort of critical component in the eye of an AT? Chirico once again shoots an AT in the eye with a pistol, and it just falls over and explodes. That's a pretty bad design flaw, especially since it was a different type of AT this time! Who needs heavy weapons or even other ATs to fight them now?

Cornbread78

Guilty Gear ep.13
Interesting to see the crew from funeral parlor and the other kids that helped Shu
get Inori back
insert themselves into school right after everything went down in the last episode. Looks like Shu is gonna go back to his childhood ways and show some swag too. I mean, the
whole school witnessed Shu take out those thugs using Inori's void weapon during their makeshift cultural festival
It was a pretty cool scene for Shu and Ayase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom