• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kuromukuro 07

Good episode dealing with Yukina emotional problems. The struggle is real for Yukina mother.

Also, I really hope
the two dumbasses are dead but most likely they wont be

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Uchuu Patrol Luluco Episode 8:

I guess Crunchyroll had it wrong but the idea is still within reach since Luluco is officially in the Trigger Cinematic Universe Crossover and that is a sentence I just typed earnestly.

duckroll

Space Patrol Luluco - Season 3 Episode 2

So the gimmick for this season is "Trigger crossovers" eh? Whatever I guess. Didn't have the same impact as last week's surprise, but seeing Sucy in anything is a good so whatever.

I've been catching up with Diamond is Unbreakable and it's been great so far.

Anyway I know this question has been asked a lot but what are the good anime that should be seen this season?

Luluco
Kiznaiver
Re:Zero

are my recommend to anyone set, I also like Flying Witch (slow pace SoL), High School Fleet (great action, good crew, dumb plot), Anne-Happy (odd show about a clas full of girls with bad luck) and Bakuon! (good fun as long as the show resists the fan service) all good shows but with some caveat or another

Diamond is Unbreakable 08

For me and many others, this is the first truly fantastic arc of Diamond is Unbreakable - and from here on its nothing but fantastic. My standards for David Production are now extremely high. Part 4 has been such a step up from an already top class series, and it is arguable that the Part 4 material that has been adapted thus far is actually superior to the manga.

So how does the episode stack up?

jXsKXwW.jpg
TwEJa2y.jpg
C3eY69Y.jpg

WELL IT FUCKIN' OWNS.

Araki is a horror fan, and the inspiration for Yukako is obvious with her long black hair. But instead of the villain being The Blob or the killer car Christine, its just a high school girl. Who's fucking crazy. Like Annie Wilkes in Misery but less serious. Someone dangerous, but not someone you could just straight up kill like the villain in Part 3. This to me is the biggest draw of Part 4 and what separates it from Part 3 - each fight isn't a life or death scenario (although some certainly are) because the focus is on this singular town filled with regular people. By JoJo standards at least. So the fights, more like encounters you get are soooooooooooo much more varied. You can even have Stands that aren't particular to fighting like Love Deluxe that are just...creepy.

KraytarJ

Lulululululululuco 08
I'm not really feeling this show as much as I used to. I'd say Kiznaiver and Re Zero have passed it for me, the main problem for me being that is not really growing or going anywhere. It just feels like style over substance and for 7 minutes at a time I guess that's not awful but it's just not doing much for me anymore.

Qurupeke

Diamond is Unbreakable 8

Haha, the first time Yukako got angry, I got startled. She's legitimately creepy and the show makes her even worse!

JulianImp

I've been catching up with Diamond is Unbreakable and it's been great so far.

Anyway I know this question has been asked a lot but what are the good anime that should be seen this season?

Highlights:
Re:Zero - Starts like Yet Another Isekai... but isn't. Decent characters, interactions and world with a decent premise (as long as they don't overdo it)
Kiznaiver - Weird show where the premise is that a main cast composed of a group of people who don't know each other and are forced to bond with each other through a weird sci-fi pain-sharing system. Also has lots of good character interactions, and is a little bit like Kokoro Connect, only more fantastic and over-the-top

Decent but not amazing: Flying Witch (SoL), Joker Game (heard it finally got better starting with ep6)

So bad it's good: Hundred (cookie-cutter school battle shounen/harem), Mayoiga (psychological Another-esque trainwreck), Big Order (Mirai Nikki 2)

Dropped: Kuma Miko (loli fanservice plus bears, no thanks), Anne-Happy (flat characters and situations repeated ad nauseam for "comedy"), Bungou Stray Dogs (just meh)

pbayne

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 6

Dialogue="Strong, Weak, Repeat"-meh.
I would easily believe this episode had some kind of production problems, especially the extremely cold ending. Like wtf no final shot of everyone celebrating or set-up for the next episode, i thought that was really suspect.

Line_HTX

Not a properly animated OVA, it's a picture drama. The first one is pure Reina fanservice, the second is about everyone.

Unless you're referring to the extra episode, which is coming on October's BD release, I believe. Full of fanservice too.

This unaired beach episode better be the best beach episode ever done.

;P

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 8:

If you told me that Araki was working through some relationship issues when he wrote this I would believe it because god damn.

pbayne

Diamond is Unbreakable 8

They remixed the OP already. Cool but it sounded better before.
Favorite parts of the manga coming up and ah its so good. I love how easily it warps between horror and complete absurdity, Dave Pro really on point.

kurahador

Re:Zero 1A (in Progress)

I just remembered why I had deleted this show completely from my mind and why I never bothered to pick it up when the season started.

The show doesn't get good until episode 4. I was confused where they're going with it at first, but later episodes really found its groove.

They really should've condensed the first 3 (4 more like) episodes into 2.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ushio and Tora Season 2, Episode 8:

Right, so we have to pause the interesting final battle that is taking place because TIME FOR BACKSTORY! Indeed, we finally learn the secret origins of Tora and his relationship with Hakuman No Mono and oddly enough it reminded me of Full Metal Alchemist vis a vis Holenhiem and Father. Though I think they did it better there since this was a lot simpler in terms of motivations.

Ascheroth

I just remembered why I had deleted this show completely from my mind and why I never bothered to pick it up when the season started.

1A and 1B are just two halfes of the 1st episode. There is a reason for that.
I honestly don't like how they split this one episode up into 2 parts, even though it aired as one thing. It really gives off the wrong impression after only half an episode (which people treat as a full one).

The show doesn't get good until episode 4. I was confused where they're going with it at first, but later episodes really found its groove.

They really should've condensed the first 3 (4 more like) episodes into 2.

Nah, the first half is slow and makes it seem ordinary, but I appreciate it in hindsight. It does a far better job at introducing the world and Subaru then what you usually get.
After 1B I was fully on board and feel it was paced perfectly fine, I think it would have felt rushed otherwise. The recent arc is really something else though, that's right.

Diamond is Unbreakable 8

qOkX4QJ.png

Okuyasu has some good faces this ep

We rolling now. That hair tongue choke is one of the many surprise delights I'd forgotten from the manga (assuming it was lifted directly). I'll even forgive the OP remix and lack of Savage Garden.

Line_HTX

Giant Narag is scary, but 1B and afterwards you get to see that this is a pretty neat setup. I'm like 4 episodes behind but from what I skim in other posts it seems to have gotten way better.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
1A and 1B are just two halfes of the 1st episode. There is a reason for that.
I honestly don't like how they split this one episode up into 2 parts, even though it aired as one thing. It really gives off the wrong impression after only half an episode (which people treat as a full one).

Nah, the first half is slow and makes it seem ordinary, but I appreciate it in hindsight. It does a far better job at introducing the world and Subaru then what you usually get.
After 1B I was fully on board and feel it was paced perfectly fine, I think it would have felt rushed otherwise. The recent arc is really something else though, that's right.
Yep! Starting from 1b, the series gets into its groove.

Gah, so good. Can't wait til Sunday.

Assassination Classroom Final Season 19

Did I just watch the last episode? The feels were no where close to where they should be for such a long running series. The last bit sure felt like a complete cop out.

Just T

Re Zero: 7

What an intense episode, especially the first part of it.

My Hero Academia: 6-7

Pretty good episodes but man Bakugo is one insufferable asshole, no different from the manga but now with a voice sigh, truly the worst character in the series.

Bungou Stray Dogs: 7

Reading that the comedy is going to be less in the coming episodes, hmm will just play it by ear.

Still behind an episode or two on a couple of things, well three episodes behind on Joker Game but not sure if I'll catch up on that right now. Once I get past some of these other episodes though I think I'll finally watch Millennium Actress.

Concrete Revolutio Episode 20
x01y_Kad.jpg

Man, Thunderbolt Ross is a dick.

Another solid episode. Perhaps a bit packed, but interesting in how it moves the mythos of this world forward.

Also I didn't expect
Master Ultima to appear, and just order people to kill Jiro.
There's something slightly hilarious about him just sitting at a desk.

duckroll

Also I didn't expect
Master Ultima to appear, and just order people to kill Jiro.
There's something slightly hilarious about him just sitting at a desk.

Was it just any desk, or did they imply that he could have become the President of the United States?

Was it just any desk, or did they imply that he could have become the President of the United States?

I think it's just a normal desk.

Could you imagine though!

Master Ultima, Making America Great Again.

Ultima is a wildcard though. We still don't know much about him.

Big Order 06

Man, I never knew handholding could be this useful, Fish guns and super fast communication? so strong.

That Katana snipe at the end was mad BM tho

RedSwirl

I think I'm gonna hang up SAO after episode 15 like most people seem to have suggested.

1-14 is a pretty interesting (if not the most imaginative) premise and manages to decently explore some interesting implications from it. I'm starting to think about where they could have gone in the aftermath though. I went through the show imagining the aftermath showing a bunch of survivors going through war veteran-like PTSD symptoms. Maybe show some wanting to return to the game because their lives had more purpose and they mattered more in SAO than in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom