• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hundred 2

It's been a while since I've come across a protagonist this dense. I bet he doesn't figure out that his roommate is a woman until halfway into the series.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hundred 2

It's been a while since I've come across a protagonist this dense. I bet he doesn't figure out that his roommate is a woman until halfway into the series.
The real question is how many episodes it takes for a viewer to ask what they are doing with their life.

Crocodile

Danball Senki is a show targeted for kids and I feel like it's one of the most enjoyable super robot shows a mecha fan could watch.

That along with Majin Bone being freaking amazing has made me start to see children's anime in way more positive light than I ever have before.

Sorry if my statement was too broad. I've certainly heard some good things about those shows (in this very thread) though I'm still uncertain what exactly they are about.

Tri is definitely some pandering bullshit. Not only in the obvious sense(tons of fan service shot of the girls and guys too tbf) but also trying to exploit peoples nostalgia in place of having an actual worthwhile story or addition to the franchise.

I wanted to say, given the context, it was clear KuwabaratheMan meant T&A style fanservice but then given that I just remembered his hatred of Tri, you might actually have a point :p

If so, this would just be another example of how a term like pandering is losing meaning in conversations.

If you're already a cartoon fan, there's no reason to be dismissive of kids' cartoons. There's a lot of good ones out there!

I'm not saying kids shows can't be awesome. I certainly enjoy my fair share of shonen. I'm just saying there's a big gulf (using American examples) between say Breadwinners and Steven Universe or Gravity Falls. Most strictly kids anime I've come across in recent years leans way more towards the former. Digimon Xros was squarely a kids show and from what little I say or it, it did little to hold my interest. That's why I'm not exactly jumping out of my seat for more Digimon for kids. I'm not saying it can't be good but again there is a difference between a show "for kids" and a show "that can be enjoyed by all including kids".

Clov

Well, I'm all done with Votoms now! As interesting as that last arc was, I'm not sure if I liked it that much. I found the show to be much stronger when it was focusing on the mystery and conspiracy behind the Perfect Soldiers, rather than
the lost technology of an ancient civilization and Wiseman
. This last arc felt a little too loosely connected to everything that happened before, and it seemed to answer the question of "Who is Chirico?" in an unsatisfying way. Nothing really beat the Space Vietnam arc in the end. Still, overall it was a great show, I just wish it ended on a better note.

jediyoshi

nTs9bn8.jpg

ready for kyoani to save anime again

Line_HTX

Hmmm this is also a good idea.

La Linea has told me to watch Concrete.

However I have a ton in the queue. Shounen maid, concrete, flying witch, kumamiko, dimension w, re zero, Cerberus, tanaka, asterisk, Showa genroku, a ton of stuff :'v

You should take off DW. They suck at marketing and underutilized Mira so much.

That and the adaptation is terrible. Shame on Studio 3Hz.

Sorry if my statement was too broad. I've certainly heard some good things about those shows (in this very thread) though I'm still uncertain what exactly they are about.

Danball Senki is about saving the world with tiny robots. Majin Bone is about whether it is possible for humans to change.

I'm not saying kids shows can't be awesome. I certainly enjoy my fair share of shonen. I'm just saying there's a big gulf (using American examples) between say Breadwinners and Steven Universe or Gravity Falls. Most strictly kids anime I've come across in recent years leans way more towards the former. Digimon Xros was squarely a kids show and from what little I say or it, it did little to hold my interest. That's why I'm not exactly jumping out of my seat for more Digimon for kids. I'm not saying it can't be good but again there is a difference between a show "for kids" and a show "that can be enjoyed by all including kids".

I don't have much experience with Digimon beyond Hosoda's amazing Digimon Adventure episode. And I'm not going to be interested in this new Digimon anime unless it has some interesting staff on board. All I'm saying is that there's plenty of quality kids/family anime that can appeal to all ages, and it's a shame much of it (that isn't battle shounen manga adaptations) goes overlooked in the West.

Danball Senki is about saving the world with tiny robots. Majin Bone is about whether it is possible for humans to change.

Another description for Danball Senki would be Gundam Build Fighters without the Gundam name. It starts off that way, at least.

Majin Bone is also super shounen as well, and I'd definitely say it can be enjoyed by all including kids.

berserk movies are fantastic and totally a good option to get into Berserk in a short amount of time.

Now if you have the option to read the manga do that instead of course, but the movies are a great alternative.

I think it really depends on the show. "Kids anime" includes titles like Digimon Tamers and Ojamajo Doremi, which I would say are comfortably better than all but a select few non-kids anime.

There's certainly a massive gulf in quality between some, and you'll always get some downright shameless toy selling shows where no one is even trying to do something interesting, but there's also a lot of ground for really enjoyable stuff. Kids anime, at their best at least, tend to be a lot more honest and forthright compared to a lot of otaku anime, and I always can find time for a quality show where the emotions feel honest and genuine.

As far as Xros Wars goes, I found the first cour pretty weak, but I thought the show really came into its own after that. Although a lot of that depends on someone being receptive to the concept, and I'm hardly an unbiased source when it comes to anything Digimon related.

I definitely agree with your final point. All the best kids shows, in my mind, are shows that "can be enjoyed by all ages". I think that's the core of what makes a great kids title. They're the sort of things that you can rewatch as an adult and enjoy on their own merits, rather than saying "man, I liked this when I was a kid?", or even watch for the first time as an adult and still appreciate, even if you're coming at it from a different angle.

And that's what interests me about a new Digimon show aimed at kids. It will, hopefully, be the sort of thing that can be enjoyed by all ages, with a serious Digimon-style plot, but also a sort of earnestness about it. It won't be the sort of thing that's just trying to sell swimsuit posters or promote the latest gravure idols.

Now, it could still wind up being terrible. It's completely possible that the staff will be incompetent, Bandai will micromanage things, and the show will be a disaster. But I haven't yet reached the point where my first reaction to anything is going to be "man, I bet that will be shit".

Ace Attorney 2

zosXMJc.jpg

I don't remember seeing this in the game.

Moving on from Hundred to the show I haven't seen since it started airing. The episode definitely goes through the adaption expansion route with it going into more detail about why Grossberg can't defend Maya and Phoenix going above and beyond to find Maya someone willing to defend her. Have to admit, it was pretty good.

Sadly I don't think the animation is going to progress beyond average at best.

Welp.

I guess I'll watch the first one then. I already read through those equivalent chapters, but a long time ago and I don't remember all the details.

honestly the manga will always be the best option, and it wouldn't take long to get throuh the golden age arc.

you also have the option to keep reading past it lol

Line_HTX

Is it like blood battle blockade? Where it shouldn't have an anime cause it only has like 20 chapters lol

It's worse. They crammed in a ton of chapters, I don't remember the number, but it was absurdly high. It's a shame really. At least both the opening and ending are great songs.

I forgot to tell you to watch Kiznaiver as well. It's compelling, to say the least.

;P

It's worse. They crammed in a ton of chapters, I don't remember the number, but it was absurdly high. It's a shame really. At least both the opening and ending are great songs.

I forgot to tell you to watch Kiznaiver as well. It's compelling, to say the least.

;P
I think I'll wait for kiznaiver to finish and then marathon it.

Just watched concrete 1. I like the art style, idk what I was watching until the end lol. Gotta see more episodes.

Clov

This is where I insert my obligatory comment about how the Berserk movies have terrible CG during the fight scenes that really take you out of the films, and that the 90s TV anime was much better.

Of course, if you're looking to get into Berserk as a franchise, you can always wait for that CG TV anime that's starting next season. I have no idea whether it will look better than the movies' CG, but we'll see!

Gvitor

honestly the manga will always be the best option, and it wouldn't take long to get throuh the golden age arc.

you also have the option to keep reading past it lol

Well, here's the thing: I don't want to re-read something I already read (even if I don't remember most of it), but I'm not against experiencing it in another format (watching it). I plan to keep reading it after the Golden Age arc, but I want to first recap everything. If the movies are nice adaptations, then I don't need to read slow-ass recaps =p

Cornbread78

I don't think it's a budget or scheduling issue, I think t's a legitimate talent issue. The visuals are so wonky and I think the only effort in the show's design work was Sharisharu and maybe Palupa.
And better character design for the main character.

It's a shame because the story isn't half bad and the characters aren't terrible, well, other than the 300 yr old loli mage antagonist ...

La Linea has told me to watch Concrete.
However I have a ton in the queue. Shounen maid, concrete, flying witch, kumamiko, dimension w, re zero, Cerberus, tanaka, asterisk, Showa genroku, a ton of stuff :'v

ReZero first

Then take a break and relax with Witch

Speed it back up with Asterisk and/or Dimension W

Something like that.

Do you have a PTW list done in MAL?

Ace Attorney 3

EviVah8.jpg

Redd White is an Obama Supporter apparently.

Well they didn't waste time with the first part of the trial or the investigation thereafter. I imagine the entirety of the next episode will be the final part of the trial and
exposing White.

Defuser

A big titty twin-tailed drilled hair student president tsundere. I just realized how many tropes are stuffed into one character

Jex

A big titty twin-tailed drilled hair student president tsundere. I just realized how many tropes are stuffed into one character

Not to get all technical here, but drill hair is often associated with characters of a high rank/social position, so seeing it on a student president is fairly standard.

Ace Attorney 4

Good God those CG crowds. I think those alone drops the overall animation a good tier or 3.

Edgeworth's head shake ain't helping much either.

3De0PtL.gif

What the hell happened with some of its frames?

And where the fuck is the Turnabout Sisters theme anime? Why wasn't that there?

I'm having kind of a hard time finding nice things to say about this one. They botched the final part of case 2 it in more than a few ways.

Narag

Ace Attorney 4

Good God those CG crowds. I think those alone drops the overall animation a good tier or 3.

Edgeworth's head shake ain't helping much either.

And where the fuck is the Turnabout Sisters theme anime? Why wasn't that there?

I'm having kind of a hard time finding nice things to say about this one. They botched the final part of case 2 it in more than a few ways.

First ep of the third case is bad but it starts getting better after. DL-6 stuff starts airing in about 4 hours too.

ReZero first

Then take a break and relax with Witch

Speed it back up with Asterisk and/or Dimension W

Something like that.

Do you have a PTW list done in MAL?

Hmmm sounds good, once I get threw some concrete I'll go to rezero.

No I haven't made a watch list, I usually just queue things up and randomly load something up to see if it sticks.

Chindogg

More Hundred slander I see.

Best anime of the season. I never thought it was possible to fit every single harem trope in a series, but Hundred found a way.

All they need is a monster girl and they'll cover the entire spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom