• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

It's about time that I wander into here and fulfill my seasonal ritual, of asking what shows do people recommend?

Just in general. I have no strong preferences, just a rundown on what's been well-received would be nice.

Kiznaiver is definitely the strongest of the shows I'm watching this season. I like Re:Zero as well, but Kiznaiver is the standout show for me.

It's about time that I wander into here and fulfill my seasonal ritual, of asking what shows do people recommend?

Just in general. I have no strong preferences, just a rundown on what's been well-received would be nice.

Concrete Revolutio
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Kiznaiver
Kuromukuro
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

blurr

Kiznaiver 04-05

I really like Chidori and romance in general but this romance subplot is just a slog because of how predictable it is but it is interesting that they tied it in with Kiznaiver system - as it turns out, it does allow emotional pain as well which is "stage 2". Technically, strong emotional moments do result in physical feedback so it seems to be only natural that they feel it during a surge of emotional activity, what better way than a romance subplot.

I do like how they capped it off, Kacchon confronts his bully saying he now understands that there are others who are hurt even if he doesn't feel it. This was incredible.

Tenga reminds me so much of Kamina, this is great!

My Hero Academia
Kiznaiver

Kiznaiver 7

Rolled my eyes a bit at "you haven't read the last chapter of this have you?" and the ensuing capstone to that story. In addition to being too mechanical, it felt like pulling a punch. That kind of 11th hour absolution is too convenient and sentimental to have the necessary impact that the perpetuation of trauma needs to have. It's nice, sure, but it's a play for the tear glands more than anything and gilding the lily on top of the friendship angle.

Whoever's idea it was to have Nico emote with her hair is a genius. It really helps humanize her and adds a tactility to her body language that is really felt, not just registered. Also, you know, girls mess with their hair if it's long enough.

Thoraxes

Another Sunday is upon us!

thoraxeswdep10.gif

blurr

Kiznaiver 06-07

The main narrative seems to be heading in a good direction albeit step by step but the drama this narrative rides on feels alright to less than compelling but nothing great. It was really fun in the first three episodes post which it shifted from casual humor to drama with bits of comedy here and there. Still not entirely a bad thing but the main narrative has become my primary focus from this point on. I sort of wish it was the other way around.

My Hero Academia 08

It's always good to see Midoriya unintentionally humiliate Bakugo to the point that you begin to pity him but not exactly in a "bullying" sense.
However, Bakugo isn't going to go anywhere over a single loss, he's always going to push forward; when you overcome a difficult hurdle, it doesn't mean the challenge ends there, it's going to retract temporarily and let you bask in your victory but it will be back, maybe stronger than earlier - again, on my theory that Bakugo is a personification of his fear and aspirations.

Narag

My Hero Academia 8
gSoeFMBl.png

it's grexeno

The more I watch this and see how the episodes were presented, the more I wonder if my problem with the show isn't partially an internal dissonance of what it is and how it presents itself since you never get "typical" shounen cliffhangers with bad guy this or obstacle that. Nearly everything gets wrapped up within the confines of the ep so each can actually end with some sort of character moment.

Shounen Maid 06

CjEUY0HVEAAXl3t.jpg
CjEUY1uUYAEAmQR.jpg

Hmm... /dtl

He ended up being even cuter than I expect him to be. Also, that lady the MC met was totally his grandmother, I'd be surprised if she wasn't.

Flying Witch 07

Ghost was cute as fuck. Also disappointed they didn't have a fart joke after eating the onions.

Cornbread78

I love Toronto lol. I went to Manhattan about 5 to 6 months ago and I liked it there too, took a bunch of pictures. Although personally, I found it to be a really stressful city. It's like a jungle there!

Northern /Western NY is a whole different animal from the concrete jungles of metro NY, lol

Northern /Western NY is a whole different animal from the concrete jungles of metro NY, lol

We didn't even have time to visit Brooklyn or Queens! The city is massive, and there's only so much one can cover on foot (I wanted as many pictures of the city as possible, so we barely rode on any cabs or the subway). I plan to go back soon for some more exploring, I have a ton that was left unseen or captured there.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Episode 8:

I liked this episode a lot more then last week even through it had no real highs or lows but instead actually had some focus outside the Deku-Bakugo love in that is dominating pretty much everything right now and is pretty average. A supporting cast is important as Deku and Bakugo are getting stale faster then I thought they would. Along those lines clearly what was not started here was the great shonen rivalry since that was already a thing but rather the start of darkness because comer on how do they not the birth of a supervillian happening here? I wish this was All Might's story since his burden is so much more interesting then anything else MHA has spun thus far. I did like how the exercise was still treated as a lesson for all to learn from. Finally, looks like we got some real villains moonlighting from The Venture Brothers are going to be our next arc.

Tanaka-kun
Kiznaiver
DJ Ageterou
Ushio to Tora S2

Also if you aren't picky with comedy I'd also recommend Sakamoto Desu Ga.

Tonkatsu DJ 7

Decent episode, but I'm beginning to grow disappointed at the lack of actual DJ'ing scenes. The ED is fantastic though, remidns me of FLCL or something similar in style.

Qurupeke

My Hero Academia Episode 8

Man, this episode barely moved the plot, but it was so cool seeing a little bit of the other students. The turtle pace of the show is really disappointing.

Also, villains hype.

pbayne

Rainbow Days 19

Do Tsuyopon and Yukiko have a Christmas fetish? I dunno, i think that scene cut just before things turned kinky lol.
Sucks to be Natsuki, looks like he was really enjoying that date.

Gvitor

My Flashback Academia 08

This is going to end in a cliffhanger, right? There's no way they'll end in a satisfying arc conclusion like OPM with this pacing.

Cornbread78

My Hero Academia ep.8
Not bad at all this time around since the whole episode wasn't build up for 1 moment like usual. Bakugo got rekt and has to man up now, lol.
Also, we need to see more of the other hereos. That is a bug change from the other characters.

studyguy

I should have listened. This S2 of Tokyo Ghoul is sorta ass. I'm not entirely sure who or why they're fighting anymore and the animation took a massive dive...

Ascheroth

My Flashback Academia 08

This is going to end in a cliffhanger, right? There's no way they'll end in a satisfying arc conclusion like OPM with this pacing.

Nah, it's not just going to end mid arc or something.
There is a perfect stopping point they are aiming for.

I'm not entirely sure who or why they're fighting anymore

s2 could've been really cool if they actually went in on the premise of Kaneki joining Aogiri but it just comes across as a weird adaptation of the 2nd half of the manga with a few scenes changed so what was the point

As for why anyone is fighting, let me tell you about Tokyo Ghoul :RE - Too Many Fucking Groups

I should have listened. This S2 of Tokyo Ghoul is sorta ass. I'm not entirely sure who or why they're fighting anymore and the animation took a massive dive...

It's pretty amazing how they butchered the series with season 2.

They really screwed up in adapting the source material. The only good thing about season 2 were the end credit art.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - 06

This is so dumb. They tried to sell you on the tension and the danger, and in the end the big monster conveniently smashes itself against a wall and disappear for several hours, as it seems they had time to do a complex rescue in the tunnel excavating a new entrance, and operating the tower without problem.

Apart from "funny" moments like this one

hTPpSGg.png

Like really, taking evasive maneuvers? You are in a train, you only can go faster!
zR2nVSs.png

9qFeYfs.png

"hold until the last second!" "fire! not yet..."
iw0PPh1.png

ops?! That's not firing until the last second, that's passing the last second by a lot, they just lost a wagon and whatever (and whoever) was there.

Qurupeke

Kabaneri is a trainwreck. It's just getting worse and worse without being fun like Mayoiga. Though Mayoiga has been considerably worse at the last few episodes and I begin to think it's becoming just bad instead of so bad it's good.

Kabaneri is a trainwreck. It's just getting worse and worse without being fun like Mayoiga. Though Mayoiga has been considerably worse at the last few episodes and I begin to think it's becoming just bad instead of so bad it's good.

I'm curious how Kiznaiver ended up being good and not like Mayoiga.

Like both are written by Okada.

Kabaneri is good at what it is - a big dumb bombastic Araki zombie show with muscular girls. I didn't expect anyone to be smart or a particularly good characters because its a zombie show and everyone is a moron in those.

I like it better then Attack on Titan, even the manga fwiw. Attack on Titan has a more "interesting" premise but I don't expect it to actually deliver on any of that. The way I see it is that none of the mysteries in AoT will ever wrap up in a satisfying way. Kabaneri isn't about "but where did the zombies come from and how did they build the stations and why trains" its about "We're on a train and we are going to fuck up some zombies"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom