• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Mayoiga - 01

If I didn't know better I would have thought this show was being stupid intentionally. Like the bit where the researcher girl and the angry guy are talking and he says he hates girls who put up make up, she retorts with "Never put on make up in my life, but okay" with dark dramatic music playing.

Kiznaiver - 7

I absolutely enjoyed this episode and it's probably because of the lack of MC (Though his one line about Tenga was great) or Sonazaki taking up major screentime
(And on her, which childhood friend will end up taking MC's heart?!?!)
Nico continues to be such an animated figure whilst Tenga gets some chances to shine in this episode. Probably the first episode that I've enjoyed from start to finish too.

Line_HTX

I dunno, I find Kabaneri more tolerable than Titan. I don't mind another season of Kabaneri just to infinitely delay the insufferable Titan.

There you go, Qurupeke, now you have your reason to continue watching, lol

Cornbread78

Endride ep.8
Probably one of the best episodes yet, simply because I didn't have to watch the MC's fight the entire episode. They actually had a grown up conversation at the end that showed how the prince was finally opening his eyes to the world around him.

If it had good action scenes or interesting set pieces I could understand why people say this, but it doesn't.

I think the action scenes aren't spectacular but still pretty entertaining, better then Attack on Titan at least.

I haven't watched in 3 episodes, but did the triple shading just disappear?

That was only really used for close-ups, like every other anime. The second it started to move it would disappear. Even when people talk about "back in the day" that effect was never consistent.

I dunno, I find Kabaneri more tolerable than Titan. I don't mind another season of Kabaneri just to infinitely delay the insufferable Titan.

There you go, Qurupeke, now you have your reason to continue watching, lol
Besides Eren being a lil bitch, the show is still fun. I just want AoT chapter 50 to be animated. That was just cray. Also the arc that follows after that was a nice change of pace.

duckroll

I haven't watched in 3 episodes, but did the triple shading just disappear?

Nope. It's still there. This is from the same episode preview as that image:

azlKd2p.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think the action scenes aren't spectacular but still pretty entertaining, better then Attack on Titan at least.
You're using Attack on Titan like it's some kind of metric that would indicate quality. Being better than Attack on Titan is completely meaningless.

manfestival

so I got my roommate and his friend into attack on titan. started watching it again with them and I forgot how awesome the show looked but how disgusting the use of stills was. I swear every other scene has some still where characters are talking and there is just a picture being panned over. I cannot stand that... its so lazy. I understand budgets and time constraints but CMON BRUH

My Flashback Academia 08

This is going to end in a cliffhanger, right? There's no way they'll end in a satisfying arc conclusion like OPM with this pacing.

Nah, it's not just going to end mid arc or something.
There is a perfect stopping point they are aiming for.

Nah it has enough episodes to end the next arc and possibly tease the one after since thats when MHA actually turns great.

Line_HTX

Besides Eren being a lil bitch, the show is still fun. I just want AoT chapter 50 to be animated. That was just cray. Also the arc that follows after that was a nice change of pace.

"Psst, hey main character? We want to talk to you."

I'm not going to lie, I want to know how that scene plays out and what the music is like at that moment.

"Psst, hey main character? We want to talk to you."

I'm not going to lie, I want to know how that scene plays out and what the music is like at that moment.
Probably some German vocals done by that one lady that the composer likes to put in all of his songs.
im more interested in the "I'll protect that mikasa smile" moment tbh :v than the actual plot

TheRancor

so I got my roommate and his friend into attack on titan. started watching it again with them and I forgot how awesome the show looked but how disgusting the use of stills was. I swear every other scene has some still where characters are talking and there is just a picture being panned over. I cannot stand that... its so lazy. I understand budgets and time constraints but CMON BRUH
In this case, really extreme time constraints.

Line_HTX

Probably some German vocals done by that one lady that the composer likes to put in all of his songs.
im more interested in the "I'll protect that mikasa smile" moment tbh :v than the actual plot

Mika Kobayashi? Yeah, I like her vocals, even if the German is all random nonsense.

:p

Speaking of which, AWW SHIET, I forgot that the Kabaneri OST is just out. Now to deeply delve into it.

Overall it's being a weak season. We have Jojo, we have Kiznaiver, and that's it. And I don't consider neither of them great series, though the last episode of Kiznaiver was pretty well directed if a tad predictable.

Taruranto

Meh... Lesbians #7

You can tell this show takes place in Japan because these kids are so happy it's raining, since there it only happens when someone is very, very sad.

This was actually very good for this show, I still find most of the characters very dull and uncompelling. their relationships very formulaic and predictable, but Maki's internal struggle and the way she ultimately came to term with her feelings were very refreshing for her kind of character.

JCG

Kabaneri is good at what it is - a big dumb bombastic Araki zombie show with muscular girls. I didn't expect anyone to be smart or a particularly good characters because its a zombie show and everyone is a moron in those.

That was also my own impression about Kabaneri based on the first episode. Nothing in the spoilers I've read seems to suggest the show is somehow failing at its actual goal thus far. Of course "might doesn't make right" and all, but the general audience reaction towards it outside of this forum also seems to be more accepting than cynical.

Taruranto

I actually like Kabaneri's MC, he makes mistakes, but overall he feels a pretty chill dude I'm finding myself rooting for him, outside of the MY SISTER IS DEAAAAAAAD backstory.

Everyone else is just kinda there though.

Narag

That was also my own impression about Kabaneri based on the first episode. Nothing in the spoilers I've read seems to suggest the show is somehow failing at its actual goal thus far. Of course "might doesn't make right" and all, but the general audience reaction towards it outside of this forum also seems to be more accepting than cynical.

I think there's a novelty to the product whereas I'm not like the show, I'm still glad something like that was made, especially if success leads to other projects like it.

I actually like Kabaneri's MC, he makes mistakes, but overall he feels a pretty chill dude I'm finding myself rooting for him, outside of the MY SISTER IS DEAAAAAAAD backstory.

Everyone else is just kinda there though.

I like Ikoma, but I liked him better when I thought he was going to save people out of spite

AoT > Kabaneri by a landslide.

When you bring up characterization of Kabaneri as a strength against AoT I can only laugh considering how the MCs have been on a downward spiral since episode 2 and you get the bonus of having offensively stubborn elders who's sole purpose is to fuck everything up yet again.

World building is crap and I've yet to see a particularly imaginative or otherwise impressive action sequence. Just the 3DMG has more thought put into it and those action sequences are almost always fun to follow. What's actually interesting about Mumei floating around one-shotting Kabane left and right? Or Ikoma pressing his weapon against a strangely passive Kabane's rib cage once more?

Pacing is better. Character art more detailed. That is about all I can give you.

Line_HTX

"I'm gonna save you all, and y'all are going to live in shame that you deserted your savior!" >>> "I'm gonna destroy them all. EVERY LAST ONE OF 'EM!"

Damn, Bryce Papenbrook Eren somehow got more obnoxious than Yuki Kaji Eren. What an achievement, LMAO

Overall it's being a weak season. We have Jojo, we have Kiznaiver, and that's it. And I don't consider neither of them great series, though the last episode of Kiznaiver was pretty well directed if a tad predictable.

I'm sorry.

I think there's a novelty to the product whereas I'm not like the show, I'm still glad something like that was made, especially if success leads to other projects like it.

The success of Attack on Titan led directly to Kabaneri, so I won't be surprised if the success of Kabaneri leads directly to more action blockbuster shows in its vein.

Narag

The success of Attack on Titan led directly to Kabaneri, so I won't be surprised if the success of Kabaneri leads directly to more action blockbuster shows in its vein.

I'm fine with that. I'll play the odds in the hopes that one or two of these end up good rather than all being trash.

I'm not sure I would put AoT in the same category of action blockbuster. It's part action yeah, but not at the same level, It had action every... 4 episodes or so?
While Kabaneri had for now a small or big action scene in every episode, if I'm not mistaken.
In fact AoT S2, knowing the manga, is going to continue with having several episodes of non-action with mysteries, politics, people talking, flashbacks, etc.

Aki-at

No, you're right on the money. Mizushima isn't trying to create a serious, rich story here.

I had no idea he was directing this, now I know I'm in for something amazing.

Mayoiga - 2

Bus crash? I guess that means
everyone's dead and the village is limbo /lost.
The very last scene scrolling through the whole cast and lasting 20 odd seconds cracked me up.

kewlmyc

Do they explain why Mumei's guns work against the zombies, but no one else's guns work? Unlike Ikoma's special nailgun thing, Mumei's seems identical to everyone's elses. Her super human abilities shouldn't make her shooting more lethal.

Also, cutting their heads off seems very effective, so I'm shocked it took them 4 episodes to realize melee is effective. I guess people thought it was too risky.

Seems like regardless WIT is determined to make more action blockbusters anyway. See: Empire of Corpses.

Talking about that, I'm reading the first chapters of Genocidal Organ manga, and yep, it looks like another story with sick action (this time american special forces soldiers in near future) and hamfisted themes.

Do they explain why Mumei's guns work against the zombies, but no one else's guns work? Unlike Ikoma's special nailgun thing, Mumei's seems identical to everyone's elses. Her super human abilities shouldn't make her shooting more lethal.

Also, cutting their heads off seems very effective, so I'm shocked it took them 4 episodes to realize melee is effective. I guess people thought it was too risky.

I think every time Mumei kills one with their guns you can see how she does several shots to the heart in rapid succession, I suppose it has to do something with that.

pbayne

The ancient magus bride PV still confuses the hell out of me. Its supposed to be a prequel/anime original but the PV features nothing but manga material? What?

The ancient magus bride PV still confuses the hell out of me. Its supposed to be a prequel/anime original but the PV features nothing but manga material? What?

I believe it's just to advertise the anime/manga.

Probably to show what it may look like animation and visual wise.

Edit: I hope it ends up being good.

Seeing how long it is taking for them to make an AoT S2 I'm going to assume they will shoot for 39 episodes since there is already 40 more chapters, and they did 40 last time . I'm really curious to see how people who were super into the first season will take to the second one, but I do keep forgetting they never adapted the Utgarde and the "I need to talk to you" arcs which are cool. Then you have the coup and the current arc, which are pretty middling.

Gonna be laughin my ass off when people ask "so when do they get to the basement"

Seeing how long it is taking for them to make an AoT S2 I'm going to assume they will shoot for 39 episodes since there is already 40 more chapters, and they did 40 last time . I'm really curious to see how people who were super into the first season will take to the second one, but I do keep forgetting they never adapted the Utgarde and the "I need to talk to you" arcs which are cool. Then you have the coup and the current arc, which are pretty middling.

Gonna be laughin my ass off when people ask "so when do they get to the basement"

39? The anime was only 25?

Cornbread78

Nijiiro Days ep.3-4
This show has a really nice tone to it as these four bros work on hooking up with girls and deal with existing relationships. Good stuff so far.

Exalted

Re:Zero Episode 8

Great episode as usual, was the first episode in a while that things didn't go completely bad for Subaru. Was nice to see him spend more time with the twins and Emilia and interact with them. Really love theses parts of the show. Look like this act will still continue next week.

Taruranto

LOL why is FF white mage in in Concreto.

I'm not sure what's the deal with Kiko. She joined the Bureau because she wanted teh Jiro, now she says she staying with them "So I can see you, even if just as an enemy." Uuuuhhh??? Just join him, lady.

Series overall feels a tad more random than S1, since there are more "players" this time around. Last episode with the giant naked fish lady totally lost me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom