• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

Saw the first Berserk movie.

It was pretty damn good. The CG was weird at the start but I started liking it as the movie went on. Music was also very nice.

Now I dunno if I'm remembering it wrong (I read it over 6 years ago, after all), but I was sure
there was some scenes with child Gatts (and him being raped) before all this happened. Maybe a flashback?

There's a lot of things the movies cut out

kurahador

Zootopia

AOTY hands down. Nothing can touch this. For the first time in ages when it wins Best Animated Film it won't be robbery.

You know Pixar film will win instead because the panels couldn't more fuck for animation.

Big Order 1-2
What in the fucking fuck is this series??? It keep flipping off between moe crap and violence it's hard to take anything seriously.

You know Pixar film will win instead because the panels couldn't more fuck for animation.

I dunno. Zootopia is about to hit 1 billion, had really high critical acclaim and extremely long legs. Finding Dorthy could win but I kinda doubt it. There's also Moana.

If anything it should be a contender for film of the year but thats not going to happen.

Well judging by all the praise Red Turtle is getting which was by de Witt and co produced by Studio Ghibli.

That movie will definitely be robbed for best animation even if Zootopia is good.

tumblr_nuqkc4m4bP1rb1rgoo1_540.gif

So I finally caught up to both Kiznaiver and Re:Zero and they have been great suprises especially the latter. The drama in the former has been competently used and not used for contrived nonsense. I'm actually suprised I care for all these characters even though they're stock full of cliches, but it's the execution that makes everything feel realistic in a sense. As for Re:Zero I really love how we see Subaru psychologically develop and how his ability is taking a toll on him. The depiction of emotions shown in the anime is well utilized. Episode 7 made me cringe not in a bad way but in a good way especially when
Subaru had to jump off the cliff.
The amount of guts and willpower that must of taken and how you basically have to go against every instinct in your body was crazy.

Although I'm really suprised Okada is writing Kiznaiver and it doesn't have that contrived nonsense bullshit drama like every other Okada anime. This is weird.

Anyway I still need to catch up with Flying With and some other anime.

jgminto

The Lost Village 8 What started out as an intriguing and interesting episode 1 has devolved into something really ludicrous. But you keep watching it because you know people will die. Just a matter of when.
I don't think it will end up as that kind of show. One or two might but it's not paced like an insane massacre like Blood C. It's clear that the main focus of the show will be the characters trying to accept their troubled pasts.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Erased wishes it handled its time travel as well as Re:Zero.

Narag

what if the 7th kiznaiver is the viewer

what if the viewer is actually 7th

edit: should've cracked this one weeks ago. whoops

Re:Zero = Edge Of Tomorrow+Higurashi
I wish they tone down the cringe elements though.

Which kind of Cringe? I don't recall much cringe, probably the bath bits with Roswald stand out. But beyond that, it's been rather tame in my opinion. I mean there's Subaru's obnoxious Chivalry but considering the direction of the show loves to smash various elements of that character it's definitely bound to be tackled in some form in the future.

Haly

I mean there's Subaru's obnoxious Chivalry but considering the direction of the show loves to smash various elements of that character it's definitely bound to be tackled in some form in the future.

I think it's okay as well. There's a trend for "self aware" anime characters to be extremely grating
(HEY FIREHAWK I KNOW HOW MUCH YOU LOVE SAEKANO)
but Subaru is tolerable and it helps that the cast plays off of him instead of going into tsundere-mode or blushing and turning away.

The way Emilia responds to his awful pickup lines is very out of the ordinary for anime heroines so even if the joke is the same the punchline is new.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 5

What the...shit!?!?!? Holy hell!!! Talk about a cold-hearted way for Suzaku to go about this. The end of last season was one thing. That was just him getting even. But this? Takes a special kind of douche to do that.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 5

What the...shit!?!?!? Holy hell!!! Talk about a cold-hearted way for Suzaku to go about this. The end of last season was one thing. That was just him getting even. But this? Takes a special kind of douche to do that.

Suzaku is a collaborator with an apartheid regime, why would you expect him to be anything other than awful?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Erased wishes it handled its time travel as well as Re:Zero.
I don't know that I'm very fond of how Re:zero handles the passage of time. It's incredibly repetitive, and its method of rewriting the events that have happened makes many of the character bonds questionable. In what's presented as the most true timeline the main character has made very little impression on the people around him.

Worse still, I don't know that the second arc at the mansion really shows the time travel being used as a creative or interesting tool in order to overcome a specific challenge. Instead the ability to reset the main character has been primarily used to as gruesome an effect as possible. This is understandable with how the series tries to impart a great deal of weight into each death, but the process of coping with death has become so protracted that I feel as though I'm watching the same pointless magic trick being preformed over and over again. Re:Zero puts so much into its time travel gimmick, but it really doesn't feel like that much is gained from it. There is tons of guesswork asked of the viewer to know what has happened down each timeline, and it often just gets handwaved away.

Haly

I don't know that I'm very fond of how Re:zero handles the passage of time. It's incredibly repetitive, and its method of rewriting the events that have happened makes many of the character bonds questionable. In what's presented as the most true timeline the main character has made very little impression on the people around him.

Fair criticisms. I was only considering how Subaru approaches the time travel itself, but I do agree the narrative is already deep in Endless Eight territory. After 6 episodes it feels like only 3 has passed, unless the story was always going to be about Subaru dealing with the onset of insanity.

Just T

Flying Witch: 7

Nice episode and funny scenes with Chito.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable: 8

Yikes, you in danger Koichi.

Jarmel

Banned

Worse still, I don't know that the second arc at the mansion really shows the time travel being used as a creative or interesting tool in order to overcome a specific challenge. Instead the ability to reset the main character has been primarily used to as gruesome an effect as possible. This is understandable with how the series tries to impart a great deal of weight into each death, but the process of coping with death has become so protracted that I feel as though I'm watching the same pointless magic trick being preformed over and over again. Re:Zero puts so much into its time travel gimmick, but it really doesn't feel like that much is gained from it. There is tons of guesswork asked of the viewer to know what has happened down each timeline, and it often just gets handwaved away.

I recently watched Source Code and while it's technically not a time travel film, it sorta is and the execution is light years better in how the film portrays the loops. The loops are thankfully short in nature and the editing doesn't bother showing all the loops.

Not to mention having a main character who isn't brain dead does wonders for a narrative.

Comparing shit to turd but the dialogue in Re: Zero is noticeably snappier than, for example, Hundred, or Phantom World. I can almost believe these are real people or, at least, that the author is a real person and not some kind of LN generator algorithm.

The dialogue is still pretty turgid, just a different type of one. I mean look at that Oni fable Subaru recited.

It's time travel. You can call it whatever you like but this foundation is a Groundhog Day loop.

It's more of a dimension hopping than time travel.

The latter would have a linear timeline while the former is hopping from one separate timeline to another. So basically if it were time travel the present Subaru would see the past Subaru.

I rather not get too in depth though.

Edit: I forgot to watch Jojo's latest episode. I need to watch right now.

Jarmel

Banned

The latter would have a linear timeline while the former is hopping from one separate timeline to another. So basically if it were time travel the present Subaru would see the past Subaru.

Dude it's time travel. Are we going argue Groundhog's Day isnn't a time travel film because we don't see another incarnation of Phil?

Haly

The dialogue is still pretty turgid, just a different type of one. I mean look at that Oni fable Subaru recited.

It's apparently a real book: http://montages.blogspot.co.nz/2006/04/naita-aka-oni.html

Perhaps it's careless of the author to create Rem and Ram with the explicit intention of forcing Subaru to invoke this story but I wasn't as put off with it as I was with other parts of Erased. I won't begrudge the author a favorite childhood book; at least he's not quoting Shakespeare or Nietzsche!
LCnCRPK.gif
LCnCRPK.gif
LCnCRPK.gif
LCnCRPK.gif
LCnCRPK.gif
LCnCRPK.gif
LCnCRPK.gif
LCnCRPK.gif
LCnCRPK.gif
LCnCRPK.gif
LCnCRPK.gif

Arguing about the logistics of "true" time travel is a pointless endeavor because of the inherent contradictions in the idea of time travel. Let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom