• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I spoke three languages including English(each of them considerably dissimilar in terms of grammar and vocabulary) before Japanese(currently at an intermediate level) but there were *many* things in regard to languages in general and translation that I didn't even notice until I started learning the fourth language. Most of my interpretation and comprehension of languages was passive.

god damn man i really hope other languages are easier to learn than japanese because i'm getting my ass kicked right now

Narag

Yamishibai S3 6-13

If someone told you about horror anime based on kamishibai, this season would have been the dumbass idea that popped into your head when told the premise. The ending of the show is almost clever but everything preceding it drags it down. There's no reason to ever watch this season when the first seasons of Yamishibai and Kagewani exist to fill this niche.

MM! 02

Wasn't as awful as the first episode. Every character is a cliche to the point of exhaustion. At least Yuno was given a back story that could be sympathized with to separate her from all the other boring characters. Really wish Tatsukichi didn't turn into an ojou-sama. Best girl ruined.

MM! 03

So bad guy just happens to cross paths with shy girl and threaten her over events that occurred years ago right after confiding in masochist protagonist. Ok.

blurr

god damn man i really hope other languages are easier to learn than japanese because i'm getting my ass kicked right now

haha, I know but fortunately JP has been very smooth in terms of pronunciation for me, I haven't had any issues but I really need more practice in terms of grammar(which fortunately has been similar to Hindi/Telugu but to an extent) and improve my vocabulary

blurr

It's not the speaking that is absurdly difficult but the kanji.

Yea but you can cover Kanji over time, it's not a very good excuse but even native speakers have difficulty remembering them. There are tools like WaniKani that help learn systematically to help remember them but I pick up one or two per day then try to practice by reading/writing/typing actual sentences that use them. In this day and age people type way more than write Kanji which actually makes things easier for remembering. Unless you specifically require that you write, you shouldn't worry too much about it. I also won't deny writing will help remember better.

Secondly, JLPT is what I found very effective in learning, they are ordered in a way that they make sure you learn the most common ones first and the least later, the result: almost half of the 1945 kanji are in JLPT N1, you can pretty much read most Japanese sentences/conversations early on. There are story books/novels that are suggested basing on what JLPT level you're at in case you're wondering. I remember there was a list by /a/.

Okay I think that's enough of Japanese learning discussion.

Jintor

kanji's not so bad these days. it seems impossible at first but it gets easier especially when you realise it's their way of spacing. (I actually find all hiirigana a lot more difficult to read)

my problem is speaking, or just output in general really

blurr

I'm already faster at reading Kana than my own mother tongue which to be fair sort of resembles Kana but with a lot of modifiers.

Bokurano
review.jpg

Bokurano is a series I finished feeling very rather tired of. I don't think it's very good, despite some decent episodes. The set up is alright, 15 somewhat to very troubled teenagers get tricked into a death game regarding the fate of the planet. They have to pilot their mech, Zearth, to defeat other invading mechs. One pilot is selected for each battle. If he or she fails to defeat the other mech, then the earth will be annihilated. Even if they win however, the pilot still dies in the process, because Zearth is fueled by their life force. This situation isn't helped by government interference, and the game master, Koyemshi, a strange flying creature that seems to take delight in psychologically torturing the pilots.
koyemshi_2439.jpg

The focus of the show really isn't on mecha battles to be honest. The actual fights tend to be towards the end of episodes, and typically only last minutes. Nor is it really about the actual nature of the game, though that does get some focus later on. Rather the bulk of the show focuses on how each pilot tries to cope with their situation. Some handle their impending doom well, most don't, and some almost seem indifferent. Simply put it's a show about psychological torture. I did enjoy some episodes, but many are simply too unpleasant to enjoy. One early long arc has one female character being the victim of a sexual predator, and the way the show treats her is uncomfortable to say the least. I don't mind when a show is dark, but Bokurano is unrelenting without much to say. The emotional core of the series is rotten, and this story needs emotional force behind it. It's no secret that Bokurano anime drew some criticism from fans. Many fans were annoyed at the way the anime deviated from the manga. The director, Hiroyuki Morita, basically flat out told the fans of the manga not to watch the show due the changes he made. He also rather frankly admitted he dislikes the original work. Considering how the manga apparently goes even darker than the anime, I think I understand where he's coming from. I don't recommend people watch Bokurano to be blunt. It's a show that only occasionally works, that only occasionally grabs the viewer. It's an ugly little show about the ugliness of the world, and even the happier moments feel built up just to later smack home how shitty life can be.

Danball Senki 06-09

Evil organization and their advanced robots are being defeated by a bunch of fucking kids with children's toys that aren't exactly children's toys. Hell might as well call these toys mini-weapons since they apparently capable of killing people.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist ep.8
Damn, now that was a twist I wasn't expecting at all! It really adds perspective into Rokuro's disposition up until now. Now I really want to see next week's episode to see how Benio responds. The same for Mayuri, now that you can understand why she is so concerned outside of just being a jealous childhood friend, there is a lot more going on there. The reveal about her dad's relation to Rokuro and his power were another wrinkle to really open up the story.

I know this is just ep. 8 of 50, but I feel like I just arrived on Gran Pulse for the first time and everything was finally open. the addition of these additional cast members that appeared in the promotional materials. It looks like there is just 1 more to meet, which is Benio's brother (blue haried dude:

4cdqtXl.png

Clov

Black Butler: Book of Circus 08

You know, that intro with Grell had given me a bit of hope that it was going to get a bit sillier and that Hosanna was wrong. Then everything after the OP proved me horribly, horribly wrong.

You know, for all the Fujo-baiting the series piles on between Sebastian and Ciel, I can't help but feel that the show is awfully negative towards LGBT people. Putting Grell's personality quirks aside, it seems that everyone treats them like shit. Then we have this episode, where we find that
the main antagonist of the season is obsessed with Ciel and his father, but it's made clear that he's in love with them. He blushes when meeting them or even thinking about them, and he even speaks to the moon about how he 'wants to touch him'.
So to the best of my knowledge, the two LGBT characters that this series has are Grell (who seems to be reviled by almost the entire cast) and
Book of Circus' antagonist, who is a murderous pedophile.
Would it really hurt to have some positive representation? At the very least, characters who aren't monstrous in some way?

Mind you, I haven't watched the second season, Book of Murder, or read any of the manga. So it's possible that what I'm saying is wrong or off-base. From everything I've seen of the franchise though, it seems as though the series is content to pull out the whole "They're gay, but not really" routine with Sebastian and Ciel to appeal to the fujoshi audience, but when it comes to actual gay characters they're villains and monsters.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 16

The old gang is back. Along with the weird guy. Just in time to expose magic to two non-idiots. Jun is a nerd. They've infiltrated our society. They could be anywhere. Waiting, and planning. Riko is getting plenty of practical magic application, so she's probably not falling behind. So the villains are already going for monster fusion. Batty should've swooped in and taken the Smartome then. Wait, Sparda is already dead? Well that was quick for her. Oh well, I didn't like her anyway.

Jarmel

Banned
Kiznaiver is an Okada's Best Hits.

We started with Black Rock Shooter and now moving into True Tears. Are we going to finish with Anohana or Toradora?

Cornbread78

G Gundam ep. 17
Domon you clown, you need to grow up. Hopefully, you learn something on your trip to train... Also, while your at it, can you stop treating Rain like a piece of $hit? K Thanks....

Cornbread78

I don't think Nico cares enough about that type of stuff. I think she just wants friends.

Unless I'm missing something here.

nah, she wants big strong Tenga to protect that smile.

I called that ship if it happens, lol

Nico x Tenga
Maki x Yuta (they will finish what Maki started previously, lol)
Katsu x Nori
Chidori x alone, suffering as a childhood friend always does
Hiso x alone amusing himself through the other's painful experiences; the ultimate masochist...

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists #8

This was pretty great. Revealed lots more about some hinted past stuff and character relations, and opened up some new questions at the same time.

Clov

Well, I've just finished up Black Butler: Book of Circus! That was... unrelentingly dark. I found it somewhat refreshing to have a protagonist like Ciel who is unquestionably a terrible person. What makes this better is that the show doesn't condone his actions; the Undertaker's words at the end of the series really hammer home that Ciel's actions are immoral, and that he's continuing down a dark path that he may not be able to return from. Even his chance for redemption is ruined when he finds that
the orphanage the circus members were from and were trying to protect was already in ruins, and there was nobody left for Ciel to help.
I honestly wasn't expecting the anime to go this route, but it was interesting.

When I think of Black Butler, I usually just think of the sillier hi-jinks from the first season. Even this season started off on a very light and goofy note, but after it got dark the show never went back. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and I still liked the show, it just surprised me. I definitely need something lighter before I watch more of this series, unless Book of Murder is somehow a sillier affair than Book of Circus despite their titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom