• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
m1EUeMql.png

Cornbread78

The anime 91 Days that's airing in Summer seems really interesting.
Here's the synopsis
The staff seems pretty good as well. I guess I'm on board.

Yeah, this one caught my eye as well, so I'm going to give it a shot.

So, I'm looking at this I guess you could call them rankings from 20 days ago and I want to ask y'all, which one should I start on, Joker Game or Bungo Stray Dogs?

Neither.

Start SNAFU and Little Busters NOW!

javac

Combing through my derelict MAL list, man so much bullshit in my planed to watch list, what was i thinking with half of this shit? Going to take a while to pick something out. I think I might just use a random generator to pick something out, ngl.

javac

I ended up dropping The Tatami Galaxy in case anyone was wondering, didn't like it at all, so much so that what was supposed to get me back into watching anime again ended up putting me off further which is why I'm gonna pick carefully this time. I might revisit The Tatami Galaxy later down the road, but that's back on the back-burner for now.

I ended up dropping The Tatami Galaxy in case anyone was wondering, didn't like it at all, so much so that what was supposed to get me back into watching anime again ended up putting me off further which is why I'm gonna pick carefully this time. I might revisit The Tatami Galaxy later down the road, but that's back on the back-burner for now.
I was hooked from like episode 1. Same people who did Ping Pong. How could you?

Mailbox

I loved Ping Pong to be fair! My review was so long I had to separate it into two parts! (1 , 2) The Tatami Galaxy just wasn't for me at all.

How far did you get.
I think I pointed this out once, but I disliked the first half a lot and then I loved the second half.

Edit: I got through the first half of black bullet. Still not hating it. Still quite enjoyable. Gonna continue it tomorrow

javac

How far did you get.
I think I pointed this out once, but I disliked the first half a lot and then I loved the second half.

Episode 3 was the last I watched, I was actually positive on the episode but the thought of watching more mentally exhausted me.

Mailbox

Episode 3 was the last I watched, I was actually positive on the episode but the thought of watching more mentally exhausted me.

I felt the exact same way (actually maybe even more negatively) after episode 3.

Maybe in the future you can try more, maybe not :)

Ping Pong is a lot better than Tatami Galaxy to be fair.

I'd rate them roughly equal. Tatami Galaxy has the disadvantage of having a repetitive structure, while Ping Pong has the disadvantage of having way worse animation due to its compressed production schedule. But they're both great shows with strong storytelling.

Clov

I'd rate them roughly equal. Tatami Galaxy has the disadvantage of having a repetitive structure, while Ping Pong has the disadvantage of having way worse animation due to its compressed production schedule. But they're both great shows with strong storytelling.

Personally I like The Tatami Galaxy just a bit more, but both are excellent shows. I feel that Ping-Pong may be a little more accessible than Tatami Galaxy; I notice a lot of people are put off by the initial rapid-fire dialogue in Tatami Galaxy along with the repetition. I guess it's one of those shows that either 'clicks' for people or doesn't, since the repetition is an integral part of Tatami Galaxy's storytelling.

Tatami Galaxy is a show that would have been much better as a 6 episode OVA series or a film while Ping Pong never drags the same way or feels as sledgehammersque with its messaging.

Clov

Black Butler: Book of Circus 07

This... is fucked up. I definitely was not ready for
that circus performance by the kids.
I didn't really think that Black Butler got this dark, to be honest. Personally I hope the tone lightens up a bit, but I'm still enjoying it regardless.

JulianImp

So, I'm looking at this I guess you could call them rankings from 20 days ago and I want to ask y'all, which one should I start on, Joker Game or Bungo Stray Dogs?

I've heard Joker Game has finally gotten somewhat interesting, but five episodes in it was really meh due to how there was no continuity that tied all the spy stories together except that they were all Japanese spies who were all trained in the same agency.

Bungo felt like a way worse Blood Blockade four episodes in, so I ended up dropping it as well.

The new shows I'm actually liking this season are Re:Zero and Kiznaiver, and maybe Flying Witch if you're into SoL-style shows. Now that I've dropped Hundred, Anny-Happy, Bungo and Twin Star Exorcists I'll probably be picking Kuromukuro up and go back to Barakamon and maybe some other show that manages to catch my attention.

The anime 91 Days that's airing in Summer seems really interesting.

Here's the synopsis

The staff seems pretty good as well. I guess I'm on board.

I kind of whince whenever a random word in another language gets thrown about just to make things sound exotic, and the plot does sound pretty generic even though that could be attributed to what appears to be the work of google translate. A guy with a grudge against the mafia who joins them for revenge isn't anything new, but then again execution's everything so it could end up being good despite the generic premise (which, on the other hand, isn't nearly as generic as battle academy harems).

Tatami Galaxy is a show that would have been much better as a 6 episode OVA series or a film while Ping Pong never drags the same way or feels as sledgehammersque with its messaging.

I can see why people would dislike the repeated structure of Tatami, but it felt like it varied things up enough that each episode remained interesting, aside from episodes 6-8 which were just a little too similar for comfort. Episode 10 in particular was a really interesting and unique episode.

Black Butler: Book of Circus 07

This... is fucked up. I definitely was not ready for
that circus performance by the kids.
I didn't really think that Black Butler got this dark, to be honest. Personally I hope the tone lightens up a bit, but I'm still enjoying it regardless.

Your hope is in vain.

I kind of whince whenever a random word in another language gets thrown about just to make things sound exotic, and the plot does sound pretty generic even though that could be attributed to what appears to be the work of google translate. A guy with a grudge against the mafia who joins them for revenge isn't anything new, but then again execution's everything so it could end up being good despite the generic premise (which, on the other hand, isn't nearly as generic as battle academy harems).

?????

Well, looks like I chose the wrong title to be my 'popcorn' anime watch! I might need a palette cleanser after this one.

Maybe I'll just bump Mellowlink up and watch that. That seems like fun.

Have you seen Flying Witch?

It's a show for ultimate relaxing and cleansing.

I've heard Joker Game has finally gotten somewhat interesting, but five episodes in it was really meh due to how there was no continuity that tied all the spy stories together except that they were all Japanese spies who were all trained in the same agency.

Bungo felt like a way worse Blood Blockade four episodes in, so I ended up dropping it as well.

The new shows I'm actually liking this season are Re:Zero and Kiznaiver, and maybe Flying Witch if you're into SoL-style shows. Now that I've dropped Hundred, Anny-Happy, Bungo and Twin Star Exorcists I'll probably be picking Kuromukuro up and go back to Barakamon and maybe some other show that manages to catch my attention.

Go and watch Barakamon. It's worth every second of your time.

Such a good series.

Clov

Have you seen Flying Witch?

It's a show for ultimate relaxing and cleansing.

I have! It's one of my favorites of the season, actually. It's very relaxing, and all the characters are very likable. Definitely one of the shows I look forward to every week.

JulianImp

The mafia being the Vampiro family, you know. I'm not too fond of random gairaigo, and feel like it sticks out like a sore thumb rather than making things sound cooler most of the time. That family name doesn't sound like a legit Italian last name, unless they're going for the Vampiro family actually being vampires because of how Japan's pretty big about names being meaningful and all that.

The MC also better conceal his identity really good by the way, because if anyone in the mafia catches on to his real identity (last name, most likely) that will lower his life expectancy to a couple episodes at most unless he gets his hands on some power-up or bodyguard of some kind.

The mafia being the Vampiro family, you know. I'm not too fond of random gairaigo, and feel like it sticks out like a sore thumb rather than making things sound cooler most of the time. That family name doesn't sound like a legit Italian last name, unless they're going for the Vampiro family actually being vampires because of how Japan's pretty big about names being meaningful and all that.

The MC also better conceal his identity really good by the way, because if anyone in the mafia catches on to his real identity (last name, most likely) that will lower his life expectancy to a couple episodes at most unless he gets his hands on some power-up or bodyguard of some kind.

...... I really can't tell if you're intentionally trolling or not.

Jintor

I had this weird vision of like a k-on-style school graduation thing, only the school is a pilot school for mechs or some shit.

i want more slice-of-life in weird settings. make it so

JulianImp

...... I really can't tell if you're intentionally trolling or not.

No, not intentionally. There's nothing more to it than that I honestly don't like Vampiro as the name for whatever. Mafia families tend to use their boss' last name, so it came off to me as being very random and weird choice of a last name.

No, not intentionally. There's nothing more to it than that I honestly don't like Vampiro as the name for whatever. Mafia families tend to use their boss' last name, so it came off to me as being very random and weird choice of a last name.

The irony of using an obscure loan word to complain about the use of loan words seems too on-the-nose to be unintentional, but if you say so!

JulianImp

The irony of using an obscure loan word to complain about the use of loan words seems too on-the-nose to be unintentional, but if you say so!

It's just I can't read it without my Spanish-sense kicking in (since vampiro's written the same way in both Italian and Spanish). It does sound better than the Vampire family or the 吸血鬼 family yeah, but Spanish being my mother tongue means it's little more than a generic noun to me and that greatly diminishes both its appeal and novelty factor.

duckroll

It's just I can't read it without my Spanish-sense kicking in (since vampiro's written the same way in both Italian and Spanish). It does sound better than the Vampire family or the 吸血鬼 family yeah, but Spanish being my mother tongue means it's little more than a generic noun to me and that greatly diminishes both its appeal and novelty factor.

This is a hilarious overreaction to a mistranslation (or troll translation?). Lol. The mafia family in 91 Days is the Vanetti Family. :p

I do think Ping Pong is better than Tatami Galaxy, but it's the difference between the best steak I've had in years and another steak that's still really good.

Steins Gate 1
The popularity of this show is unbelievable to me. Sorry for co-opting your first time watch, hope you enjoy it!

Can I just use this brief moment in time to state what is probably a really unpopular opinion: I hate Steins Gate. I hate the character
Mayuri
especially.
Of all the strange things people like in anime, my mind boggles that anyone can stand this character, and since she's not minor the entire thing is just garbage.

Every time she says OKARIN and looks at the screen with her derpy face I wanted to kill myself. I can't stand a grown person acting like she has the mental ability of a five year old. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't know that probably half of this shows fans probably think she's adorable.

Narag

The day before summer vacation starts, Daichi who is a high school boy, sees a rainbow on TV in an island. “I’ve seen this rainbow before…” He is suddenly urged to visit this island to find about this rainbow, bits of forgotten memories from the past and his father’s mysterious death. At the island, he encounters a gigantic unknown robot called “Earth Engine”. He is asked by a crew member, “Are you the Captain”? From then on, Daichi is sucked into the space battle against robots from Uranus, “Kiltgung”. When the stars shines brightly in the sky, the battles begin.

"Shian", a high school girl who wants to join a band, suddenly sucked into a mobile app game, “Show By Rock!!”. In the game world, she joins a girl’s band “Plazmagica” and battle against dark monsters using interments. The band is still an indie band and in order to become more major, they need to keep on winning band battles against other rival bands or fighting dark monsters. In this special world, when the band becomes battle mode, the characters become Super Deluxe (SD) form in this animation.

Good site.

http://shochikufilms.com/productcat/animation

blurr

I spoke three languages including English(each of them considerably dissimilar in terms of grammar and vocabulary) before Japanese(currently at an intermediate level) but there were *many* things in regard to languages in general and translation that I didn't even notice until I started learning the fourth language. Most of my interpretation and comprehension of languages was passive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom