• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Space Battleship Yamato 2
7wNWE0Cl.jpg
A3wZ9bjl.png
eubosAil.jpg
FY2egI3l.png
FzhPzGSl.png

The neatest one of these were two different shots from the TV series being combined for 2199.
More or less in line with ep 2 of 2199 as well what with the launching of the Yamato itself. I assume it'll diverge down the line but some of the goofier commanders in 2199 seemed like definite callbacks to the '74 show. Seems like a lot of shots from the TV series were influential enough to be revisited in 2199 too.

Just watched the latest episode, Re:ZERO continues to be great. There's a few shows I like a bunch, but I think this one is my favorite for the season. I really love how it switches between being a comedy/drama/action anime depending on the episode, or sometimes switching within the same episode. I really wasn't very interested in the premise of the show, but the way that it shows Subaru's emotional suffering from the blame he places on himself for failing to save the friends he loves, and the emotional toll of having all of these experiences with other people that no one else remembers, is just really well executed and really forces the viewer to contemplate the tragedy of the situation. On top of that, he also knows that danger that everyone is in, and has no way to warn them or convey his predicament, so every new restart is just an addition to the pile of dramatic irony that he's living.

I feel like I'm kind of being too high on the show, because I generally think of it as just being a cute fantasy anime with fun cliffhangers, but every single episode has me pretty engrossed while I watch it. I think it just executes perfectly on everything it's trying to do, even though it has a pretty wide scope of themes and genres.

jman2050

Black Rock Shooter TV 5-6

Oh god when she started cutting her hair, I just can't.

I shouldn't have watched this, I just know that whatever they come up with in Kiznaiver isn't going to compare to the sheer nonsense absurdity of this plot twist.

jman2050

Black Rock Shooter 7-8

Somehow this show started out stupid and then in the latter half took an abrupt sharp left turn straight into even-stupider, I didn't think that was possible.

So we have the MC who tries to be friends with these other girls and then they have some suffering for a while but then it turns out that those other girls don't even matter and the story is actually about this other girl that she was friends with the whole time and they have some suffering except the girl isn't actually the girl but at the same time she is and then there's CG battles that are clearly metaphors except wait they aren't metaphors they actually happen and there's reality warping powers and then there's even more suffering and then some explosions happen and now everything is fine
except Yuu didn't age? What even happened to her (or I guess not-her?) in the real world after she switched with Strength? Saya works at the school now so it had to have been YEARS since that shit went down

I have stared into the deepest Okadabot abyss and all I see are birds, macarons, and Monopoly. I really regret not watching this as it aired. I said it earlier, the GIFs don't even come close to the real thing.

So occasionally I like to watch something with little to no information on its background. Sometimes I watch something that surprises me, and sometimes I end up watching a three part 80's sci-fi OVA that is barely coherent. (To be fair, I still know nothing about the manga it's based on, and whether or not it makes any sense.)

Today was the latter.

Fight! Iczer One
5159_QW7_PTSL_SY300.jpg

To say Fight! Iczer One is an 80's OVA is to undersell just how much of an 80's OVA it is. Anyway, Iczer One a sci-fi yuri mecha OVA with body horror and a story about earth being invaded by a group of aliens called Cthulhu. (Oh, and there is some Star Wars lightsaber fights too.)They invade earth by unleashing body snatchers onto the planet to take it without force, although it seems like they could have simply taken it easily with force. There is one scene in each episode of the earth military just getting decimated by them. By the way, the Cthulhu aren't hideous space monsters. They're attractive aliens who look mostly like earth women. Apparently they lost their home, although it's never explained how, and they're lead by another space alien called Big Gold. What exactly Big Gold is never explained well.
download_3.png
download_2.png

The thing holding up their invasion? A young Japanese girl, Nagisa, aided by another alien, Iczer-1. If the story is supposed to be about them falling in love, I didn't really see it. Iczer-1 came to earth to fight off the invasion for reasons she herself doesn't understand. There's some late explanation about her and Big Gold being the same or something? Iczer-1 is an android that can summon a giant mecha. For reasons that are never explained, Iczer-1 needs Nagisa to power her mecha, in the nude of course, so she can save the earth for reasons. Here is the thing about Fight! Iczer One. Taken apart piece by piece, it's kind of enjoyable. The mecha fights are enjoyable. The body horror element are creepy. There are a few moments where you might forget nothing makes any sense, like why exactly Nagisa is needed to power Iczer-1. I enjoyed the punk rock character designs, and many of the robots Iczer-1 fights are this weird mix of robotic and organic parts. The aliens invade Earth with a giant black pyramid! That said, I wouldn't recommend it. It's still not enjoyable enough to be memorable, and it ends on a fucking limp note.

Line_HTX

Bakuon!! 06

This Principal is hilarious and a weirdo. Speaking of which Raimu-senpai never ages, huh?

There's some weird X-Files music in this.

Onsa makes the best smug faces, I swear.

Thoraxes

Katanagatari then.

Watch Katanagatari. Real good show. The final episode is amazing.

count me in for Katanagatari endorsement. Probably my favorite anime, the structure is perfect. More 1 hour episodes would be good in general.

Got my BDs of it.

Easily one of my favorites. The last episode had me so pumped up that I actually jumped up and yelled "Fuck yeah!" when the climax happened. The story culmination, journey, plot events, and the Taku Iwasaki music just worked some damn fine magic on me.
Katanagatari ep.1
Right off the bat, that OP is from the same artist from Angel Beats, right? Excellent stuff! So far, bro, sis and Silver hair lady are all interesting characters and it should be fun getting to know them better. That A-Z relationship jump at the end though, what was that? I actually got a good laugh at that closing scene because even though the tone was off because of that sudden relationship jump, it was both a sweet and funny scene at the same time..

Also, the humor of the show is very subtle, but very effective at the same time... This is going to be good.
Be sure to watch the next episode previews at the end too! The way they foreshadow events from each upcoming episode is probably the best i've seen, and it's all done in a super clever way.

Girls und Panzer movie.
One thing i'm sure, watch this move via BD is a 10/10 experience.
Watch this movie via 4DX theater is a 100/10 experience.

I hope one day all countries GuP fans have chance to enjoy 4DX version of GuP movie.

pbayne

sadly signs are pointing towards it being a live action adaption instead of a new anime season.

hopefully it is both.

Damn, damn, damn. Although i would actually be somewhat interested in a live-action version too. I saw a manga spoiler the other day of +Massive spoiler*
Natsu and Ei-chan kissing and finally getting together
that i really want to see animated.

KanColle: Kantai Collection 01 - KUSO TEITOKU
This is one of my guilty pleasure shows.

So I've been on the Haifuri Discord for a few days now and they convinced me to start playing KanColle. Considering I sort of enjoyed KanColle in its anime run without knowing a single thing about the game, I figured it might improve my experience if I knew a little bit of the gameplay. And wow, this anime is such fanservice that I'm gushing. It's awesome to see the shipgirls in action.

They literally spout (pun intended) more than a few of their flavor lines from the game, like Fubuki's intro to the Admiral (who she calls shireikan rather than teitoku in-game) The fact that they had a lot of known VAs work on the game makes the transition to anime really smooth. The voices ARE the characters, so to see them be more expressive here is a treat.

bdzuXOL.png

What a troll. (The penguin shows up in-game if you fail a crafting recipe for equipment, which often eats up your resources)

For those not aware, KanColle (Fleet Collection) is a browser game about magical girls who are manifestations of WWII warships. Considering I don't play any other browser or mobile games, so far it's been somewhat like a mix between Pokemon (in that you collect the shipgirls as random drops or crafting) and Fire Emblem (in that there is permadeath) mixed with the F2P cooldown timers. It's a decent time-killer game, and while there is a decent measure of tedium when waiting for things like repairs or expeditions to finish, considering the fact that gameplay isn't really that deep (there's a lot of RNG involved) it's something nice to play on the side while doing other stuff.

06BQjvX.png

Jintsuu has consistently been my favorite and most reliable boat so I am so happy to see her here. They made her look way younger here, though.

Back to the anime, this show's soundtrack is WAY better than it has any right to be. The game's OST is inoffensive at best, generic at worst, but the anime really has this amazingly epic feel. I've posted it before, but here's a piano cover of some of the tracks from the OST. It wouldn't be out of place in a more mature take on World War II sea warfare. I think the anime also did a better job at introducing us to its core cast than Haifuri, where I don't really know the name of anyone at all.

Honestly, I'm kinda glad I watched the anime first, then played some of the game, then came back to the anime. Makes the experience a lot richer, all around. I did the same thing for Valkyria Chronicles (although I haven't finished the anime nor the game lol)

Also it's pretty clear that whoever the Admiral is for this fleet is kinda awful. It is super hilarious to me how
the Admiral confesses his love for Fubuki and practically proposes to her
but she immediately concludes that she needs to be all yuri for Akagi, an aircraft carrier. Shipping, indeed.

Mailbox

Black Bullet [END]

There are times where I disagree with the animeGAF consensis on shows. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. This might actually be one of those shows.

Constantly, when hearing this show referenced, its gave a similar vibe to something of a Magical Warfare or a 35th antimagic. Something so bad that it warranted hatred for. But, all things considered, I feel very hesitant calling this show bad. Mind you, I'm not calling this show great either. But to me, it was good enough.

For the most part, the art was okay, sometimes quite good. The animation also did a rather good job, though I should note that I felt that some scenes were animated too much (some calmer scenes) and some scenes not animated enough (some fight scenes). The story and scenarios aren't that bad either. There are a few that I really didn't like (specifically the last episode's duel and the viewer being in the dark over Tokyo's populous situation during the large scale fight), but there were times where I legitimately liked where the show was going. As for the characters, I liked them for the most part. Some are kinda weird or annoying, but I genuinely liked quite a few of these characters.

Hell, when you guys said that it shits the bed in the second half, I thought it'd just get super bad, and it never really did. with the exception of the
school bombing
and the large scale fight, nothing in the second half was never really as dark or bad as some of the stuff as the first half.

However, I will admit one thing. The writing is not good at all. It kinda feels like they wrote it on the fly by someone who didn't have enough time to edit and rethink their drafts. The show is full of random moments and dumb cliches that really didn't have any place being in this show. And when those moments didn't happen, there would be dialogue heavy scenes of characters saying what amounted to cliche after cliche. I thought in the first half that the writing was marred by the exposition, but it may have been the other way around. Though, this show does have 1 or 2 moments where character dialogue is limited and has scenes that work well. They are too few and far between. That all being said, I liked the rest enough to be able to overlook the writing a bit.

In regards to the amount of loli in this show, I'll just put it this way: while it made sense in the context of the show, i do think the constant little girl characters did get in the way a bit. Not as much as I expected (as I expected Byrnhildr levels of edgelord that never really came) but enough to be something of note. Lets put it another way, the loli situation here is significantly better than in Dance on the Vampire Bund (though that may not be saying much)

I expected Green Green or Love_Love levels of shit but instead I got a show that felt more like a Aria the Scarlet Ammo levels of quality, but maybe slightly better. I'm not sure I would call this show bad at all. Contrived, sometimes dumb, maybe a bit meddling, but definitely not bad. Though I'm not sure "Good" is a good word either. Maybe "Redeem-ably flawed" I had a pretty okay time watching this. You could really do a lot worse than this show.

Honestly, I don't get why something like this gets hated on so much, but something like Yuki Yuna is a Hero gets a free pass quite a bit (mind you, I hated Yuki Yuna with a damn passion, so... yeah.)

Girls und Panzer movie.
One thing i'm sure, watch this move via BD is a 10/10 experience.
Watch this movie via 4DX theater is a 100/10 experience.

I hope one day all countries GuP fans have chance to enjoy 4DX version of GuP movie.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully Amazon has shipped my BD.

----------------

Phantom World 4

The last couple of eps were pretty whatever but this one wasn't bad! It's boarded and directed by Ishidate and I'm fairly sure he's got some key animation in there as well.

Reina's parents, and particularly her Dad, only appearing through a proxy (CCTV camera, intercom) and from behind a metal gate for the majority of the episode is a smart idea. The imagery is oppressive and you project that onto the atmosphere in her house without ever seeing it. Similarly, presenting her temporary adoptive phantom parents as rotund rabbits, with their world's art style reminiscent of a children's storybook, is a good counterpoint to her reality - and to the already colourful and appealingly lit real world. It's a shame the situation had to resolve in such a verbose and literal manner at the end, because the lead up was more elegant and effective than I had expected, only for lines like "this world was only a parasite on your dreams" to drag things down when they should have been climaxing.

The show in general could stand to lose the dully expository scenes that bracket so many of its happenings. Too many concepts are explicitly detailed despite their function in the show being fairly intuitive. Alternatively, it could provide a narrative that's actually enriched by the explanations.

Anyway where are the cats and the witch. I want hijinks.

Cornbread78

White Album ep.22
Wait, so he denies his childhood friend by pushing her away and running out of the house when she jumps on him naked and begs for the D. Then he changes his mind when she comes out to apologize for doing it by taking her back inside and
nailing
her all while they cameo his GF playing a song in the background.... classic shit.. OMG, this guy! Adding all thise notches to his belt for every chick throwing themselves at him, lol.

I can't wait for My Wife is the Student Council President S2. I'm sure that there is plenty of depth and deep storytelling to be had in the new season.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Joker game 7
You ever seen a spy with so much swag, he manage to convince a German spy to surrender herself while also letting her daughter and dog to stay with said spy? Yeah, that's what happen. I don't know how he's going to explain himself to his superior.
"So yeah, stuff happen, and i got myself a daughter and a dog."

Bakuon 8

Can confirm that many family in my country use a cub like it's a limousine. It's not weird to see the whole family riding a small motorbike.

Narag

Anybody knows why Valvrave the Liberator is not on crunchyroll? I was sure it was.

It is there. No idea if it's flagged as such, but if you're watching on a device, stuff flagged as mature won't show up on them until you go through your account settings on the site to turn off the mature content filter.

Arthea

It's still there for me in the UK, though it was never released on BD here (in case that's a motivating factor for licensors) like it was in the US.

that's odd, I don't see it
so it has to be region locked
what's crunchyroll's stance on using VPN? can I get away with it, or does it even work?

It is there. No idea if it's flagged as such, but if you're watching on a device, stuff flagged as mature won't show up on them until you go through your account settings on the site to turn off the mature content filter.

oh, that could be it
thank you!

Cornbread78

Amanchu! (new SatoJun) looks OK, tentatively. PV2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asmCEszp0Mc. I'm always apprehensive about his more recent work as I find Aria completely numbing.

Hmmm, this is THAT show, right?

*runs to MAL*

Yup...

Synopsis:
Hikari Kohinata is a cheerful 15-year-old girl who lives near the ocean and she spends much of her time diving as a result. On her first day of high school, she meets a teacher who also likes scuba diving. There's also a 16-year-old classmate, Futaba, who gets dragged along in Hikari's maelstrom as soon as they meet at school. Most of the manga so far details the relationship between the two girls, which quickly seems to move into romantic two girl friendship-territory.

Yeah, here is your summer-time romance Yuri fans.....

NeonZ

Concrete Revolutio: 20

Interesting episode but gotta say kept thinking how much Jonathan looked a bit like Fred from Scooby Doo.

Maybe it was an intended reference too alongside the Rambo and G.I. Joe stuff? A Scooby-doo-like character design for an American who's afraid of supernatural creatures. Although I guess looking like Shaggy would have been more fitting.

Cornbread78

G Gundam ep.18
umyAOXq.jpg

LOL NeoAmerica's crew, OMG, hilarious "Chibodee's Angels," lol. Those girls dun messed up, but hey, at least Domon acknowledged Rain as a "crew member"

I had to check out the dub and it was soo surreal, I mean, like 80's/90's cartoon voice overs that had me laughing histarically.

Cornbread78

G Gundam ep.19
z8xRD7l.jpg

Oh lookie what we got here. NeoChina boy is a pervert; pulling up Rain's skirt as he flies by... Domon happened to catch a peek, and the ensuing red face and reaction by Domon was so good, lol. Looks like NeoChina was peeking in on the Russian chick/officer as she took a bath as well, lol.. funny stuff...

Good battle between NeoChina and NeoRussia towards the end though.

I must say, the Dub has a certain charm to it....!

JulianImp

I'm glad I dropped several bad seasonal shows already, but even then this week's been so busy I still haven't watched the latest JoJo episode yet. At least I can rest assured that I actually didn't have the time for it instead of having spent 24 minutes watching more Hundred or Bungou.

Still trying to decide on what guilty pleasure show I should watch between Mayoiga and Big Order... or should I just drop both and try watching Kuromukuro instead?

Cornbread78

I'm glad I dropped several bad seasonal shows already, but even then this week's been so busy I still haven't watched the latest JoJo episode yet. At least I can rest assured that I actually didn't have the time for it instead of having spent 24 minutes watching more Hundred or Bungou.

Still trying to decide on what guilty pleasure show I should watch between Mayoiga and Big Order... or should I just drop both and try watching Kuromukuro instead?

But that is the best part of Friday Entertainment! Remember when all those great sitcoms used to air on Friday nights.... wait, maybe I'm dating myself here.... uugghh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom