• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

Bungo Stray Dogs #8

Better than the last couple episodes. New girl has a pretty cool looking ability, while Yosano's ability is so fucked up lol.

The bit at the end with her almost dying fell completely flat for me.

We just met her. We knew nothing about her. Why the fuck should I care if she lives or dies?

I feel like Bungou Stray Dogs is just presenting us super abbreviated cliff notes of an actual story where characters and events actually matter.

I will admit that it was better than the last episode though. Not that that is saying much...

Cornbread78

FMA ep.1/ FMA:B ep.1-3
With all the mixed reactions on which one to watch, I decided to watch both first episodes to compare and go from there. Well, it took three FMA:B episodes to get where they were in the story after one episode of FMA, so that is something, lol. I must say, they are night and day in presentation even though they cover the same material.

Tone wise, you can tell FMA:B will have higher highs and much lower lows in the story presentation. It's also much darker from what I can tell. And yes, it does have that sudden humor mixed in that someone mentioned and it did feel off (a little). I now know where Twin Star Exorcists gets it from.... It felt like FMA is much more stable in tone from what I saw, but that's tough to Guage from just one episode. The more emotional side of the original would be a big draw for me though..

Production wise, FMA:B is miles ahead and looks so much better than the original in color, animation, and ambiance/sound.

With that being said, I think I'm just going to keep watching FMA:B for now. It has already suckered me in for first three episodes. Let's see how good this gets because that first battle and resolution was both fun, dark and interesting at the same time.

CbOYwQoWEAAAODX.jpg:large
CbOYw2tXEAAQd-S.jpg:large
CbOYxcPW8AAl3vn.jpg:large

CT00dXwXAAARcw5.jpg:large
CT00elNXAAA5VDJ.jpg:large

I have my next kids show to watch once I'm done with Danball Senki W

Just T

My Hero Academia: 8

A little heavy on the flashbacks there.

Concrete Revolutio: 20

Interesting episode but gotta say kept thinking how much Jonathan looked a bit like Fred from Scooby Doo.

You should hit up madp or dtl to see if it actually ended since I could swear it was cut short because of Unicorn TV.

It was. I asked somebody else who was familiar with the show and he said the ending was fine and the show's still good, but it got cut off once the show starting hitting a groove (no pun intended).

Cornbread78

Katanagatari ep.1
Right off the bat, that OP is from the same artist from Angel Beats, right? Excellent stuff! So far, bro, sis and Silver hair lady are all interesting characters and it should be fun getting to know them better. That A-Z relationship jump at the end though, what was that? I actually got a good laugh at that closing scene because even though the tone was off because of that sudden relationship jump, it was both a sweet and funny scene at the same time..

Also, the humor of the show is very subtle, but very effective at the same time... This is going to be good.

In preparation for Season 3 of Bojack Horseman I watched Season 2 of it again and want to change my vote for Anime of the Year to Bojack Horseman.

Clov

Just got back from watching Belladonna of Sadness at the theater. If you have a chance to see it on the big screen, take it! It looks gorgeous in HD. I appreciated this movie even more upon a rewatch, and the cinema really was the best way for me to experience it again.

T-Rex.

Banned
Just got back from watching Belladonna of Sadness at the theater. If you have a chance to see it on the big screen, take it! It looks gorgeous in HD. I appreciated this movie even more upon a rewatch, and the cinema really was the best way for me to experience it again.
Had a glance at MAL and it's listed as a hentai. Is that just because of a few risqué scenes or is it actually hentai?

jman2050

Black Rock Shooter TV 1-2

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha I don't even know where to start.

The GIFs don't do this justice at all. Not even a little bit.

The macarons man.

The macarons

Clov

Had a glance at MAL and it's listed as a hentai. Is that just because of a few risqué scenes or is it actually hentai?

I wouldn't call it a hentai. It has numerous sex scenes, but they're not really meant to be arousing. They're often incredibly psychedelic and disturbing.

Edit: If you want to understand what I mean a bit better, there's a red band trailer for the 4K restoration out that you can watch.

It's an incredibly funny show but don't go into it thinking it's just an edgy adult comedy.

Shit gets real. It is a ridiculously heavy and dark show. It has one of the more realistic and just...crushing depictions of depression I've seen. Some of the scenes in season 2 have floored me and left me with some really strong feelings in the pit of my stomach.

I just finished rewatching the episode with Mr. Peanutbutter's game show and that sit down conversation they have is just...brutal. Like holy shit.

zulux21

So not really news since its a tease of a "big announcement" but potential for season 3 Baby Steps...potentially maybe eh?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-05-25/baby-steps-tennis-manga-to-have-big-announcement-on-june-1/.102425

sadly signs are pointing towards it being a live action adaption instead of a new anime season.

hopefully it is both.

FMA ep.1/ FMA:B ep.1-3
With all the mixed reactions on which one to watch, I decided to watch both first episodes to compare and go from there. Well, it took three FMA:B episodes to get where they were in the story after one episode of FMA, so that is something, lol. I must say, they are night and day in presentation even though they cover the same material. .

I do want to note that the original series goes back and covers a lot of stuff after the sun god stuff, brotherhood really burns through the stuff faster, those 3 episodes you watched will be like 7 eps worth of stuff in the original.

Yeah bojack horseman starts out rough but once it realizes where it excels at, it's a non stop climb. Season 2 actually improved the humor so it didn't just felt on the real shit, but the moments in season 2 destroy too.

T-Rex.

Banned
I wouldn't call it a hentai. It has numerous sex scenes, but they're not really meant to be arousing. They're often incredibly psychedelic and disturbing.

Edit: If you want to understand what I mean a bit better, there's a red band trailer for the 4K restoration out that you can watch.
Just checked it out and I see why you used the word psychedelic. It looks really good, will watch it when I get the chance.

Jarmel

Banned
Kiznaiver-7
This episode was further confirmation that the direction is helping to offset much of the melodramatic side. For example in the above scene, this should have been a very serious moment in the show but the huge ass pictures give a comedic element to the scene due to the audience viewer wondering how egotistical either Ruru was or how insane her parents are. It also serves as a visual motif to remind the viewer as to how Ruru's presence is looming over the entire group, literally in this case. This wasn't likely something done in the writing phase but rather during storyboarding. The episode directors/storyboarders have been using the surreal elements to highlight the absurdity of the situation but not to the extent where the whole thing becomes comedic like Mayoiga.
This episode wasn't subtle, unlike the prior episode. The physical distance in shots being symbolic for the emotional distance between Maki and Ruru is pretty dead obvious. However it works just as well due to the severity of the emotions involved. It serves as a good indicator of Maki's mental state in how she tried to isolate herself from Ruru, and was currently doing so with her fellow Kiznaivers.
I really liked this scene because on first glance you would think the framing would indicate the closeness of Maki and Ruru due to how they're placed close together, in that they're both close in their individual frames to an imaginary center line. However the dead space on both sides of their separate frames indicates an absence, in this case of each other. Prior scenes had them sharing equal space on the sides of a frame, such as when they're meeting the publisher or having their picture taken, but here there's nothing on either side of their body.
I also liked the contrast in lighting which helped to reflect Maki's mood in that in the earlier scene she's happy and so the bright lights reflect her mood and similarly after the bedroom fiasco, she's much more sullen and the red could indicate her desire to end her relationship with Ruru.
MvBFyH3.png

kashira? kashira?
The use of red in the show also seems to indicate a delusion so it might be hinting that this part of the scene actually didn't happen and instead it's Maki's own delusions and insecurity talking rather than actual reflection of reality.
Speaking of color, I thought the muted colors on everything besides the umbrella when
Ruru died
was a good way of visually indicating what had happened without any sort of dialogue confirmation. The red being used in this case as an indication of
death
. The contrast serves to make for a visually interesting shot in that there is just one vibrant color so it really emphasizes that one color and directs the viewer's attention. The umbrella is also used at the end when Maki drops it, as a way of signaling that she's letting go of
Ruru's death
. I thought that was somewhat clever to tie in the same umbrella and that the ending isn't just the symbolism of Maki washing away her guilt.
Something I liked about the ending was how they put a reintroduction for the characters in, despite being seven episodes into the show. In this case it serves to highlight how the group are becoming friends due to their informality. It works to not only bookmark the episode in that Maki now has a group of friends but the show as a whole to this point as well. Despite being all separate people with vastly different personalities, they're also developing as friends. In addition, there's some really good bokeh in the shots of the city in the background.
The soundtrack was especially good this episode such as during the rain montage and when the group is playing in the river. I feel like this is the better Hayashi score this season as he's not just rehashing his earlier stuff, such as with MHA and GBF. The character animation was pretty good as well such as Tenga's speech or Yuta's hilarious running animation. Overall this was a surprisingly good ending for Maki's arc and the staff dodged a lot of the pitfalls I was expecting them to fall into. The show surprised me in that I was expecting this to be about bullying but they twisted it into a relatively compelling story about guilt and self-forgiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom