• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

I'm glad I dropped several bad seasonal shows already, but even then this week's been so busy I still haven't watched the latest JoJo episode yet. At least I can rest assured that I actually didn't have the time for it instead of having spent 24 minutes watching more Hundred or Bungou.

Still trying to decide on what guilty pleasure show I should watch between Mayoiga and Big Order... or should I just drop both and try watching Kuromukuro instead?

Watch Kuromukuro instead.

After some of the Evangelion talk recently I felt the need to watch it myself again and, god damn, that second episode is so good. Got legit chills two times.

Defuser

I'm glad I dropped several bad seasonal shows already, but even then this week's been so busy I still haven't watched the latest JoJo episode yet. At least I can rest assured that I actually didn't have the time for it instead of having spent 24 minutes watching more Hundred or Bungou.

Still trying to decide on what guilty pleasure show I should watch between Mayoiga and Big Order... or should I just drop both and try watching Kuromukuro instead?

Kuromukuro is a better show. In fact one of the most underrated.

Cornbread78

This is weird, I started The Vision of Escaflowne, but this show does not match the description in MAL...

I wanted the fantasy show, not the mecha one....

blurr

Still waiting for Cornbread to watch Disappearance.

I'm surprised how many of the details I've actually forgotten in 2-3 years. Makes a rewatch even better actually, especially since my appreciation for great shows has grown I'd argue.

Yea, I have read and saw some analysis of the show and the ending after watching and I really came to appreciate what it did. I'm curious to see how my experience would be now.

Shergal

After some of the Evangelion talk recently I felt the need to watch it myself again and, god damn, that second episode is so good. Got legit chills two times.
Recently did this and cemented the fact in my mind that the original TV show is a towering masterpiece of its era that not enough people fully appreciate due to all the marketing shit and posterior (lesser) material over the years clouding judgment.

True Tears 12

PcLRpeM.jpg

Oh dear.

Oh dear.

pbayne

Yup did it recently too. Completely forgot about some of the wackier, fun-time adventure episodes. Fuck anyone who thinks Eva is all doom and gloom.

Reminds me i really, really want to start re-watching CardCaptor Sakura in time for the new manga.

Is that the movie, or a separate series? Never mind, it's the separate series...

The movie and spin-off both have Disappearance in the name. I think they meant the movie.

BluWacky

This doesn't make sense, the events don't match up at all with the episode synopsis...... uughh....

There are no episode synopses on MAL for Escaflowne, and the first episode has (if I recall correctly) no mecha in it at all.

The MAL synopsis is:

Hitomi lives the life of an ordinary high school girl. She runs track for her school and has a crush on Amano, who is also on the track team.

This normalcy is thrown for a tailspin when she sees a young man fighting a dragon in the middle of a track race. This young man, Van, had been transported from another realm! Once the dragon was slain, Van and Hitomi find themselves whisked to Van's home world, Gaea.

Hitomi learns that Gaea is embroiled in a war of conquest by the Zaibach Empire. In the midst of politics, warfare, and magic, Hitomi will have to make her way back home while unraveling the mystery of the giant machine known as Escaflowne.

All of this happens in the first two episodes. Are you sure you're watching the right show?

Cornbread78

There are no episode synopses on MAL for Escaflowne, and the first episode has (if I recall correctly) no mecha in it at all.

Sorry, meant Wiki episode synopsis:
While training with her crush Amano, a young girl by the name of Hitomi encounters a boy who is trying to slay a dragon, but in doing so has been teleported to Earth. After the boy — Van — kills the dragon and takes its heart, he and Hitomi are transported back to Gaea, a world where the Earth and Moon hang in the sky.
All of this happens in the first two episodes. Are you sure you're watching the right show?

No, I was watching the wrong one... But I corrected that:

Please be aware the runtime is longer than Inception.

Almost 3 hours!!!!! WTF is that? Should have just made it another season....

The Vision of Escaflowne ep.1-2
aHmwIax.png

There are definitely some interesting things going on in this one. The first episode comes off as a as a lighthearted and fun story with some drama, then that second episode gets dark really, really fast... It almost catches you off-guard because they are still introducing characters and it's like a continued prologue from episode 1. Sorry, the "mofu" in this series is going to get annoying really quick, because you can already tell she is taking the roll of the childhood friend to create a painful love triangle as the prince/king falls for Hitomi and she gets pushed aside like a true childhood friend always does.....

Intereting stuff, but I may be over-doing it with Escaflowne, Brotherhood and Katanagatari all at the same time...

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So I'm going to an anime convention this weekend. Now that have the big buckaroos, maybe I'll buy some figures?
Naw i'll just get all the dakimakuras.

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 7

Ha ha ha, wow, that title card drop was perfect. Actually, the whole episode was perfect. Just great execution of an entertaining scenario which nailed all the gags. Rino is another great character.

how come?

Everything in the film after pressing "Enter" felt like a waste of time, the series getting too caught up in its own mythology.

Netoge 08 - VAC-Banned
The admins of Legendary Age are probably some of the worst ever. The most bizarre thing here is that they clearly have backups of accounts that have been deleted, so they make our "heroes" go through this awful convoluted process that may or may not have resulted in ALL of them being banned in order to get an account back.

Rusian is such an idiot. She straight up asks him, "what are we if we aren't married now?" and he's like UH DUH JUST FRIENDS when he's been trying for the last few days to make her his girlfriend!!

Also I should have known not to expect a kiss when they re-marry in the chapel. THEY DON'T EVEN KISS AT THEIR WEDDING WTF what is this, some kind of ecchi anime?\

AAAAAAA

T-Rex.

Banned
Any movie recommendations? Preferably something on Netflix, Hulu or Crunchyroll. I'm bored so I'll watch pretty much anything.

blurr

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 7

Ha ha ha

man, you always seem so serious, this "ha ha ha" feels so weird to read :p

Everything in the film after pressing "Enter" felt like a waste of time, the series getting too caught up in its own mythology.

Hm, yes I kind of get where you're coming from
but it wasn't entirely that, it did intertwine with some of the characters i.e. Kyon and Nagato while it concluded with reassuring Nagato's relationship with them. Admittedly, that isn't a lot to justify on grounds of characters or drama but for me, the show's appeal had been the lore and Haruhi's personality in general (not her bullying side mind you) - adding even that bit of characterization and drama with great tone and pace hit all the checks for me.

kurahador

Kuromukuro - 1-7

I was worried how slow this progresses, but then I read that it'll be a 26 eps affair which is a relief.
Liking it so far. The story and setting isn't anything new or that interesting, but I love all the characters and its lighthearted tone.
The fact that it never delve too much into one specific genre trope really works in its favor.

/XX/

GuP movie probably stopped showing in Japan already right
There's still time until the end of the month:

ガールズ&パンツァー 劇場版 || TOHOシネマズ
https://hlo.tohotheater.jp/net/movie/TNPI3060J01.do?sakuhin_cd=012365#main2

Although judging by the reception of the unique-to-theaters '4DX experience' version, I wouldn't be surprised if this film ends up as an habitual of the most requested ones at DREAMPASS, making it available again shortly after this... even when it already reached an enviable longevity on show.

man, you always seem so serious, this "ha ha ha" feels so weird to read :p

Believe it or not, I do know how to laugh!

Hm, yes I kind of get where you're coming from
but it wasn't entirely that, it did intertwine with some of the characters i.e. Kyon and Nagato while it concluded with reassuring Nagato's relationship with them. Admittedly, that isn't a lot to justify on grounds of characters or drama but for me, the show's appeal had been the lore and Haruhi's personality in general (not her bullying side mind you) - adding even that bit of characterization and drama with great tone and pace hit all the checks for me.

I can see how people big into Haruhi's lore would like the last section of the movie, but I was never much into that. It just felt like the main relational conflict of the film had reached a resolution, but the denouement had to be dragged out so it could play at Back to the Future II.

Dammit now I'm even more annoyed about the lack of word on when Netflix is streaming this internationally

Based on its past licenses, it's safe to say international Netflix will begin streaming Kuromukuro a few weeks after it finishes airing in Japan, which would be sometime in October.

/XX/

I wish I could have enjoyed the 4DX experience of Girls und Panzer.
What I wish is to have bailed out earlier of the latest spoilery /ak/ thread! :-/

We obsessed people in general can't wait enough to enjoy the best quality experience, because any bad stream will suffice in the end... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom